Close

Default Questions for James V. Kohl

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I\'m having difficulty managing enough time to follow all the different threads; and to look and see whether a particular thread includes questions for me. Please direct your questions to me in separate posts, when possible, and indicate in the topic that it\'s a question for James. I\'ll do my best to answer all questions, if you help me to better manage my time via this approach. If your question is left unanswered, feel free to ask again.

thanks to all,

Phero Enthusiast

Default Re: Questions for James V. Kohl

James,

This is a good idea having separate question and answer portion for you. I myself is having hard time finding your posts. I try as much as possible to read all your post because its very informative. My question for you is....Why did you decide to include RONE to your product and what does it do?

Travis

I first became interested in -rone, when I read that ratio of two DHEA metabolites -rone and etiocholanolone vary both by sex and with male sexual orientation. This was after a psychiatrist (Dr. Wm. Turner) told me about his homosexual male patients who told him they could smell another homosexual. It was also after Dr. Anne Perkins and I had thoroughly discussed the pheromonal correlates in her studies of homosexual rams. Later on, I spoke with Dr. Koester, who had reported on similarities among -rone; -none; and -ol. In 1993, I ordered -rone and began experimenting with different mixes: mineral oil versus propylene glycol and different concentrations 1-5mg/ml. It didn\'t take long to determine that 1 mg/ml in mineral oil was the best for experimentation. I continued to experiment with -rone in different settings, collaborated on two studies of college students and the result was its inclusion in SoE. That\'s the short story.

Additional details:

In the process, I also learned much about the adrenal glands; for example that, in rats, they contain GnRH receptors, which help to establish a link between the nose and our \"gut\" responses. These responses are made rapidly, without conscious decision making: like the fight or flight responses. Dr. Denise Chen recently reported on the human ability to detect emotions via odor input--something that is common in other mammals. Her work strongly suggests that humans respond, albeit unconciously, to odors associated with emotion. The odor of -rone, when perceived was almost invariably associated with sex by women--and with urine by men, which is predictable from studies of mammals in which territorial male (urinous) odors are attractive to fertile females but aversive to males.

Last April, at an olfactory conference, I went public with my thoughts on -rone, and had many of the conference attendees take a whiff, including Denise Chen, Martha McClintock, George Preti, Chuck Wysocki, Clive Jennings-White (chemist for Erox/Pherin) and others to numerous to mention. Reactions were predictable and I had many discussions, which culminated in product development. Had initially considered going for a patent, but decided to throw caution and any potentially huge profits from sale of the \"rights\" to the wind, after learning that Phil Stone already was \"on\" to -rone; and after Bruce and I talked about getting a product together for his market.

Too much more happened in the 8 years I was experimenting with -rone to even begin to mention. One noteworthy occurrance was repeated: several women reported that even though they couldn\'t smell any -rone odor, sniffing the vial made them feel very relaxed--even sexy. In other words, I got \"hits\" with the raw chemical mixed with mineral oil. And, after reading everything possible about -ol and -none, it was easy to decide to exclude -none, but include -ol, since -ol is musky and some form of musk(s) is used in about 80% of cosmetic products. That\'s a real good clue to effectiveness at a conscious level and to the potential for the right mix of -ol and -rone to have effects that cross from the unconscious to the conscious. If, for example, -none were used in 80% of cosmetics, I might also have been tempted to include it in SoE. Instead -none isn\'t found in cosmetics, and is typically perceived negatively. Accordingly, even though effects of -none on social interaction have been reported (increased attraction of women to theater seats/programs et al.) I chose to avoid the potential negative association.

Enough for now. I suspect that fragrance manufacturers are even now monitoring my posts, to get their own angle on marketing such a product (without paying me a consultation fee). But that\'s just another reason for getting SoE on the market, before someone else caught on to its potential.

All the comments on SoE have been great--even though some people have not found it to be effective. I\'m relatively certain that the vast majority of men will find SoE to be an enhancement, which is all I ever expected from product development. Anyone who has followed my research has read many times that I do not think human pheromones will act as an aphrodisiac. And the reason I teamed up with Bruce is because he, unlike other marketers, has never made any wild claims about any product.

I certainly can extend a brief answer.... which helps to explain why I keep running out of time.

**DONOTDELETE**

\"-ol is musky and some form of musk(s) is used in about 80% of cosmetic products.\"

I once heard that many cosmetic products already contain androstenol, though maybe in trace amounts. Is that true?

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey James. I have used phermones with moderate success. i have gotten kisses and grinking because of pheromones. Anyway i need ur honest truth on this question. Im a 21 year old guy with a body thats not huge but for my bone size my muscles are big and ripped, i dress nice and drive a nice car for a uy my age abd im a funny smartass wit a romantic side. I have one problem i was born wit a lazy eye. i have gotten usedto it, but do u think it could be thereason ihave shitty luck with girls. I mean could that one little thang freak them out that much. i just saw somethang u posted about women wanting asymmetrical guy.lol i know i sound like a dumbass but do u think that when i try to look a girl in her eyes it could scare hr away. id just like urtwo scents because u semto know alot about attracton

truth,
    I haven\'t read anything that specifically adressed -ol content in fragrances. I\'m pretty sure the 80% figure was based upon any musky compound. Since there are plenty of these compounds, it\'s unlikely that -ol plays a major role in most fragrances.

nate dogg,
    I have a male friend with a lazy eye, and can say that it is very much a distraction--and even distressing to me; especially when it looks so far off in another direction. Before I knew about the problem, I even asked: \"Fred, what\'s the matter with your eye?\" and he was quite embarrassed. Unfortunately, I suspect the lazy eye could be a problem for most women, too. Symmetry, especially facial symmetry, has been shown to play a remarkably stable role in attraction--it\'s always most desirable. Since people tend to notice eyes so much, I can see where you would have a problem, despite other good features. But, I am reminded of how much fun I had after another friend had eye surgery, and wore a black (pirate-like) eye patch when we were out hitting the bars. We had a blast with lots of ladies--especially after he placed one of those smiley faces in the center of the patch. Women couldn\'t help but notice, and smile or even laugh--definately a conversation starter. Turned a disadvantage into an advantage. I don\'t want to make you self-conscious, but can\'t help but suggest you take a different approach if you think ladies are snubbing you because of the lazy eye. You could turn it into an advantage.

**DONOTDELETE**

James in your post you said:

\"The odor of -rone, when perceived was almost invariably associated with sex by women--and with urine by men, which is predictable from studies of mammals in which territorial male (urinous) odors are attractive to fertile females but aversive to males.\"

Has there been any test as far as to what the smell of -none and -nol was percieved(asociated with) by males an females
    What where the results?

Satan

**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, I think wearing a patch on your eye, at least when you first meet the girl, is a great idea!

Satan,
    -none is perceived as urinous; -ol is perceived as musky--as reported in several different studies.

**DONOTDELETE**

Natte Dogg look up the old Hathaway shirt ads and dress the same way! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**

I know the smell association what I was asking for was
    The -rone smell was associated withSEX
    The -none smell was associated with???????
    The -nol smell was associated with????????

Associating a smell with sex is a emotional association has ther been as study that mad simmilar associations with -none(scary,tough,agressive,strong etc.????)
    and -nol(safe, trustworthy,friendly etc.???)

Like in emotional reaction/association to a speciffic mone other than -Rone??

Satan

I don\'t know of any studies on association of -none or -ol with particular characteristics or activities. My findings were due to a specific \"does it remind you of anything?\"
    question. I got a variety of \"off the cuff\"
    responses: 1. my boyfriend; 2. after sex, when taking a bath; 3. smell of my boyfriend\'s neck; --stuff like that with \"sex\" being the immediate, quick response from women.

Thread Information