Close

Thread: New President

Hybrid View

Default New President

Barack Obama must be

congratulated on his achievement. There are very few men who could rise to this stature from any background, much

less as a member of a minority group. Agree or disagree with his policies or ideology, we have to recognize the

importance of what he's managed to do, which is to be the first to overcome what has been - all too recently - a

cultural bias against anyone not white and privileged.

Its less than 50 years ago that I remember seeing a

"white only" water fountain in a drug store in rural North Carolina. I remember forced busing of black kids into

the Virginia school system where I went to high school, and hearing talk about "bringing in trouble". They were

right, there was trouble.

Now we have a President who may not have been a part of this ugly past, but has become

a symbol of what's been overcome. Many young people who voted for Obama have no clue about what his election

means. But there are many Americans who suffered the awful stigma of race who can now celebrate a kind of

coming-of-age, the arrival of a welcoming national sensibility in the same country which enslaved their

fathers.

This has as much, if not more, to say about America as a Democracy. One can gush about freedom and

opportunity and seem naive. One can also speak about and believe these things and be right. There's no shame in

patriotism, and it need not be blind. The things that make one proud to be part of a country that gives opportunity

equally necessarily grows from trials and failures. Its a testament to the world that America has formerly denied,

and now given this opportunity.

There's no lack of criticism and sarcasm that could accompany this post, most of

which I've already though of. I just wanted to feel good for a few minutes, and honestly so.

King of the coupons!

Thumbs up

I like what you said.

I

voted for a change in history. No one that has been president since my first day of breathing, has impressed me. A

lot of things has changed, but there are still ugliness amongst us.

I know there were a lot of people that

called in sick on 5 November 2008. They'll just have to deal with it until someone kills him, or the next election.

It's so terrible that people chose to pass their ignorant seeds on to their supposedly loved ones. Just the other

day, I was talking to one of my cousins that delivers furniture for different stores. He had to deliver a bed to

this elderly couple (late 60S he said). When he walked into their bed room ... there were statues of black people

hanging from trees. He didn't say anything, but when he had finished putting together the bed. The old man asked if

he'd drop his old bed off at his brothers house. He told him no. Left the other bed in the front yard and got the

hell out of there. I've said all that to say ... some changes are worthy, lots are not. Passing on hatred is

IGNORANT, and there are LOTS of IGNORANT people strill roaming this Earth. I have to deal with that, and I accept

people for being who they are ... even if they're IGNORANT. I use to hate those people ... black and white. Now ...

I feel sorry for them.

This is one major step taken ... one more to go. Will I see a woman president before I

die? I hope so, but I doubt it.

The only difference besides skin color between the two, is that one has more

experience in lying. Please excuse my ignorance when it comes to politics, but that's how I feel.

For those of

you that may have that sickening feeling in your stomach, and may have not be able to sleep for a while ... it's

going to be alright.

God blessed America! Will anything GOOD/DIFFERENT out of the ordinary come from it? Time

will tell. If it doesn't ... what's new with newly elected presidents?
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

I'm waiting for all the whiners to

complain how a black got into a high office BEFORE a woman did.
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

King of the coupons!

Quote Originally Posted by Rbt View Post
    I'm waiting

for all the whiners to complain how a black got into a high office BEFORE a woman did.
    I wouldn't be

shocked; annnnd they're not whiners, Rbt ... they're ignorant people, but it's what they were taught (black and

white), and didn't learn any better, so ...

It's a touchy world, and sometimes I feel so ashamed. My son sent

me what I considered a bit racist text on 5 Nov, which pretty much said that people were pissed. I text him back

this exact message. "When will the ignorance stop? Probably never. Pass it on." It hurts me to know

he thinks that way, but I'll continue to attempt to wipe that ignorance from him until I'm plucked from this

Earth.

They're going to be a lot of uncomfortable people walking around for a good while. I just hope he lives

through his term, but you never know. They're are some hateful & evil people on this big round ball.
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

I really didn't want to see

Obama president but not because of his color. Hell, I'd have voted for Condolesa Rice in an instant. I just

disagree with his politics and think he's a bad choice to lead this country. I did not vote for McCain either but

would have preferred him over Obama. However, the deed is done for good or ill and only time will tell if he was a

good or bad choice. What I'd like to see now is all the stupid, devisive crap stop. We are still one country and

one people. We need to stop fighting each other and start working on fixing the problems, together.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    What I'd

like to see now is all the stupid, devisive crap stop. We are still one country and one people. We need to stop

fighting each other and start working on fixing the problems, together.

It's not going to happen.

The Republican** FUD team is already getting started (remember the Clinton's "vast right wing conspiricy"?). Oddly

enough, they are starting out by going after Palin.

**By "Republican" I'm not refering to the guy next

door who happens to vote Republican, but to the professional whack job destroy the government and let the

corperations run America Washington machine "Republicans".
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

I'm waiting for

all the whiners to complain how a black got into a high office BEFORE a woman did.
    He's biracial,

actually.

I don't care what color or gender he is. What's somehow more important (to me) is whether or not he

will be able to put his money where his mouth is.

We'll see what happens.

Oh, and good riddance, GWB.
    Last edited by Holmes; 11-09-2008 at 12:29 PM. Reason: omission
    If a guy's a cocksucker in his life, when he dies, he don't become a saint. - Morris Levy, Hitmen

Holmes' Theme Song

Quote Originally Posted by Holmes View Post
    He's biracial,

actually.

I don't care what color or gender he is. What's somehow more important (to me) is whether or not he

will be able to put his money where his mouth is.

We'll see what happens.

Oh, and good riddance,

GWB.
    I probably should have put "black" in quotes. Kenyan father, Hawaiian mother. But there is such a

tendency, especially amongst those with the highest degree of bigotry IMO to skip the details and go for whatever

negative description they can find to bolster their "cause." I've already seen the news storied about cars with

Obama bumper stickers being vandalized with "W" scratched into the paint (a representation for "W"hite power?).

Never mind that some of the world's great civilizations were ruled by "non-whites" (and the citizens weren't white

either...).

One thing for sure. Obama is about the most charasmatic (soon to be) president we've had in quite

a while. But that "halo" could prove to be more hinderance than help as he is forced to battle this country's

problems without appearing to favor any one group over another. Those that think all their problems will go away

with a sweep of his legislative pen are in for some disappointments and disillusionment.

Time will tell.
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

One thing

for sure. Obama is about the most charasmatic (soon to be) president we've had in quite a while. But that "halo"

could prove to be more hinderance than help as he is forced to battle this country's problems without appearing to

favor any one group over another. Those that think all their problems will go away with a sweep of his legislative

pen are in for some disappointments and disillusionment.

Time will tell.
    Have to agree with this Rbt,

especially now that the press has shifted from surrogate press offices to emulation factories. One more tome

portraying Obama as FDR, JFK, or Lincoln and I think I'll literally get sick. A more accurate comparison would be

Don King. A media frenzy billing a man who has DONE NOTHING as some kind of savior is ludicrous at best and

downright dangerous when you consider the power the media has on simple minds, which we apparantly have in bumper

crop numbers.

To those who are smart, and only misguided, don't be fooled unless you want to be. A hope in

gov't is no hope at all. It seems that Obama is all about gov't, with an ideology that offers no incentive for

anyone to produce anything other than policy based on dependence, and its sad result. I guess the comparison to FDR

could be somewhat accurate.

Every time I think of Obama the word "collective" inevitablly comes to mind. Does

that sound dangerous to anyone but me?

Thread Information