Close

Phero Dude

Default The scent of fear

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I just thought I

would throw this out here for fun and see what kind of buzz gets generated.

Japanese scientists have recently

altered the genes of mice in such a way that they no longer are able to smell the scent of a predatory animal...like

cats. As a result of this alteration they no longer fear cats. This might seem on the surface sorta like a garanteed

meal for cats everywhere but this part is interesting. As a result of not being afraid of the cats the mice no onger

produce the "fear pheromone" and because the cats dont smell them...they no longer chase the mice.

The end

result is cats and mice being perfectly comfortable hanging out together in peace and harmony. Im my oppinion this

will one day lead to a super race of hybrid cat-mice that will enslave us all and destroy reality television as we

know it. In the mean time, how might this knowledge impact our little adventure in pheromones? Is it possible that

women can smell fear much the way cats do? Women after all have been compaired to cats many times. Is it possible

that being self confident and calm and collected might have an impact on a womans perception of men beyond the

obvious outward things like body language?

Jump in here with your thoughts...and tell me if you are as worried

as I am about cat-mice hybrids taking over the world.
    "The wages of sin is death.But after taxes it's just sort of a tired feeling realy." -Ellen DeGeneres

Journeyman

It is said that women can smell

fear in men, and I think there's some truth to it.

There is a show called Brainiac on Discovery Channel, and

they had a blind-folded woman smelling 3 men, she had to smell fear in one of them, and she got it right, she chose

the one that was scared shitless, as opposed to chosing one that was very relaxed and one that did some running and

was sweatty. It wasnt exactly scientific...

On the other hand, on the same tv show, they tested pheromones

perfume hahaha, and the blind-folded woman who smelled the men, chose for the date a midget who was wearing a

nice perfume, instead of choosing either a regular kinda ugly dude wearing pheromones, or a sweatty brad pitt type

dude . So they concluded pheromones is bullocks .

There was also a study where

some people watched a horror film and some others watched an ordinary film. They all wore pads under their arms and

afterwards women could tell which of them had seen the horror film.

It isn't that they 'Smell'

fear. It's that they can detect the fear pheromone. The lady contestant picked a perfume she could smell at a

concious level. While there is some overlap, there is a distinct difference between detecting pheromones and

smelling something. Pheromones work at a subconcious level without the need to smell it at all.

Shows like

Brainiac and Mythbusters can be great entertainment but if taken seriously can make you look pretty silly at

times.

Interesting study about cats and mice. It makes sense but whodathunkit? I wonder if the cats respond to

the small moving thing as a toy still? Being a plaything to a hairy monster with claws and fangs can still be a

little disconcerting.

If you see any of the hybrid cat/mouse creatures let me know.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    Shows

like Brainiac and Mythbusters can be great entertainment but if taken seriously can make you look pretty silly at

times.
    I just want to say that Mythbusters is far more scientific than Brainiac. They do things several

times where on Brainiac they do things once with not much control. Sorry I just prefer Mythbusters.

I've seen Mythbusters a few

times. Their methods and conclusions can leave a lot to be desired from a science standpoint. My son in law has used

them several times to attempt to refute something I've said. After a while I got tired of it and started pulling

out textbooks to show him the facts involved. In every case, Mythbuster had come to erroneous conclusions. They are

fun entertainment but don't take them too seriously.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by chris_etd View Post
    I just

want to say that Mythbusters is far more scientific than Brainiac. They do things several times where on Brainiac

they do things once with not much control. Sorry I just prefer Mythbusters.
    Yes. It is an interesting

show. Alot the kinda of stuff we'd like to do if we had the equipment and knowledge to do it and not kill ourselves

in the process.

As far as the fear pheromone. I've wondered about that before if something really could be

done along the lines of the Scarecrow character from the Batman stories. Where he has a spray/gas that makes people

freak out and be afraid of everything. Although that would be real close, if not right on, to being called chemical

weapons and attract the wrong kind of attention.
    If I'm the rubber and your the glue..then I'd probably get some, and you'd just be sticky

Journeyman

That chemical could be something

that would trigger (extreme) anxiety, even a (long) panick attack.

I remember that one of the guys that posted

here said that when he sniffed a pheromone...I dont remember which mone, he immediatelly started to feel very

anxious, almost like having a panick attack.

I've

seen Mythbusters a few times. Their methods and conclusions can leave a lot to be desired from a science standpoint.

My son in law has used them several times to attempt to refute something I've said. After a while I got tired of it

and started pulling out textbooks to show him the facts involved. In every case, Mythbuster had come to erroneous

conclusions. They are fun entertainment but don't take them too seriously.
    Awww c'mon. Are you saying

that Scientific Method is more valid that what I can actually see on TV? I'll have to think about

that one...

Journeyman

speaking slightly on and

slightly off topic:

I'd like to apply a phero that stops bloody animals becoming attracted to me.... Dogs

are soooo keen to make my acquaintance when i'm wearing, much to the bemusement of the owners... thought a heavy

dose of NPA would be off-putting for dogs too - but this, too, is a myth. they seem to love it...

Quote Originally Posted by neiltrain2 View Post
    speaking slightly on and slightly off topic:

I'd like to apply a phero that stops

bloody animals becoming attracted to me.... Dogs are soooo keen to make my acquaintance when i'm wearing, much to

the bemusement of the owners... thought a heavy dose of NPA would be off-putting for dogs too - but this, too, is a

myth. they seem to love it...
    What pheros were you using?

I've mentioned this story a

few times. At one time there were these little sampler sprayers of TE. I gave one to a friend of mine who put some

on before going home after work. His wife didn't notice a thing but his cats wouldn't leave him alone. It seems

most animals love -none.

Thomas Jefferson

I've

mentioned this story a few times. At one time there were these little sampler sprayers of TE. I gave one to a friend

of mine who put some on before going home after work. His wife didn't notice a thing but his cats wouldn't leave

him alone. It seems most animals love -none.
    My cats love Pheros, they try to lick it off my wrists,

lol

Thread Information