Close

Default How dangerous can be science?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Today scientists have start a experiment in Geneva (switzerland) which shall simulate the big bang to find answers

to many questions for example "does exist more dimensions than time and space?" and what exactly happend with the

big bang and others!

For this scintists have built a huge circular tunnel which have a radius of many miles!

This tunnel works as a particle accelerator which accelerates particels (protons) nearly to the speed of light! Then

after about two month (after the accelleration is completed)the scientist will cause the protons to a collission!

And this crash by protons is the interesting point for the scientists! No scientist will know what happens than!

The most dangerous version is that the crash which emit a huge amount of energy creates one or more tiny black

holes (a black hole is a "hole" in the space which absorb all tings and even the light around it)! These (still

tiny) black holes could go into the earth to become bigger and bigger as the more it has absorbed the more strong it

will be! An so on long the earth will convert into a big black hole! And this is not a therory of mine but a said by

scientists!

The scientist are absolutely disagree what happens in two month when the protons crashed! Any say

nothing will happens and other say this could create a huge catastrophe! Now it is the question if it is adequate to

risk so many for these (even if important) questions?

I disagree with the risk.

Gravitational theory makes creation of black holes incredibly unlikely and even if some very tiny ones are created

they will be so unstable as to vanish in under a microsecond. They could not exist long enough to create a problem.

And they could not 'Get into the earth'.

I'll counter the argument about risk in doing by the loss of not

doing. There has never been a scientific discovery that did not pay dividends eventually and there has not been one

without risk far greater than the tiny, almost immeasurable, risk being taken with the new accelerator. Similar

claims were made about other accelerators, as well as other experiments, and nothing ever happened. Accelerators

have resulted in huge potential savings and have saved thousands, if not millions, of lives. The savings and

potential learning involved in this type research could someday resolve energy problems, save millions more lives

and even take us to the stars, to name only a few benefits. To not experiment and learn is to stagnate and

eventually to die as a race. Rather a minor risk now than a certainty tomorrow.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

I have been living with a black hole

(or more) in my house for a long time. One resides in my clothes dryer and seems to prefer socks....

At least

that is my theory of where things I KNOW I had have disappeared to...

The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Phero Guru

Default two

months is about the same

time as USA Presidential elections.
    There is a cure for electile dysfuntion!!!!

So, if we shove one of Rbt's

socks into a Presidential candidate's mouth at the speed of light will it plug up the black hole? Agree with Bel,

think of what we lose by not trying.

I hope your thinks will be

correct so that not a black hole will be the first big challenge for the new president

Quote Originally Posted by idesign View Post
    So, if we

shove one of Rbt's socks into a Presidential candidate's mouth at the speed of light will it plug up the black

hole? Agree with Bel, think of what we lose by not trying.
    Let me save one of my *unwashed* socks for

that honor...

I keep thinking of that old saying about politicians/elected officials and baby diapers...

Change often and for same reason.

I am pointedly NOT going anywhere near the political discussion on this

forum. Currently have blood pressure under control.

SSDP (Same Shit Different [political] Party).
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Thread Information