Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Thanks, Doc. You did catch

where I was going with that. I had begun to wonder if I had gone too far and lost my audience. Let me digest it for

a bit before I respond.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

We've kind of wandered of

track here, to some degree. We were discussing what makes up an alpha and have gone to comparitive morality. While

part of the same thing they are two different topics, in my eyes. I was trying, with my questions, to point out that

morality is to generalized and non-specific because it is tied to context. Eating people would be seen as a bad

thing in this country but in other times and places would be obligatory in the context. Perhaps a poor comparison

but it does make the point.

Recently I had a conversation with a young girl about sexual morality, yes she was

over 18 and it wasn't about me getting laid. I do not have any interest in robbing cradles. She recently had her

heart broken, as young girls are want to do, and it led into a conversation that has lasted a couple weeks now. It

has gone a long way towards defining my own outlook on morality in sexuality. However, that is not the point of the

thread.

More than anything, I do believe that an alpha is capable of defining their own morality which in turn

acts as a model for others. If the person is not leading and defining roles for others through example is that

person truly an alpha? Or is that person a self determining 'Lone Wolf'?
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    More

than anything, I do believe that an alpha is capable of defining their own morality which in turn acts as a model

for others. If the person is not leading and defining roles for others through example is that person truly an

alpha? Or is that person a self determining 'Lone Wolf'?
    I think an alpha will definitely be "leading

and defining roles for others through example".

I think he may define his own morality inwardly, but outwardly

not much beyond whatever common morality exists in his sphere.

Definition of terms might get in the way again,

but I think an alpha will lead within a set of moral boundaries which he accepts both for their commonly accepted

wisdom, and practical usefulness.

An alpha also needs to work amongst the capabilities and moral sensibilities

of those he leads. If he's too radical, he'll only attract the fringe. If his personal qualities are great

enough - and his vision articulate - he may pull the tide toward himself.

A "lone wolf" really does not engage,

and inspires fear more than leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    Idesign, I agree that Belgareth asks and says things that make you write a

thesis in order to reply to them fairly, and wait until you have the time to do so.
    Belgareth?!? Mr

Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

Bel, I guess what I'm suggesting in this thread

is, basically, that alphas are "ethically inclined" people, in my humble opinion; which is to say their lives are

about something one could call "integrity".
    This one statement sums up, in my humble opinion also, what I

think is central to an alpha's thinking and behavior (and "being"?). You've stated this before Doc, and it can't

be stressed enough.

I want to reply to more of your post, but need an amateur's handicap. You study this sort

of thing for a living, I draw pictures... give me day or so.

.... calling Belgareth challenging... sheesh!

you guys are twins on that one...
    Last edited by idesign; 05-06-2008 at 07:19 PM.

It is my observation that if anyone

wanted to make up a list of "alpha males" on this forum all they would have to do is note who has posted on this

particular thread...

Seems that most all *are* the alpha males of the forum...

(although IMO there are a

few names missing...)
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Your probably right

on both points. Although I expect that every one of them is going to deny it.

Thomas Jefferson

I was re-reading his thread and

found many quotes that I felt were appropriate and intersting so was thinking about bringing this thread back to

life. On reading my way through the whole thing again I felt that this could summarize what is real and masculine

and the essense of being the alpha male.

This culture is very, very confused about

what it wants, and you can trace that to the fall of fatherhood and impoverishment of masculinity which came along

with the industrial revolution and the removal of men from their homes.

In the bigger picture, it is also a

radically changing world. The earth is getting smaller, and animalistic cruelties are no longer very useful for men

in their masculinity, relative to other qualities. The stereotypic macho qualities are actually quite trivial and

peripheral now, and will doubtless continue to become even more so.

True understanding, emotional, and

intellectual qualities become much more important than either "physical alphaness", or those personal qualities that

go along with physical alphaness, with the anachronistic, outmoded pseudo-alphaness; that are related to it.

Welcome to the future!

Yet people still buy into cheap macho displays as somehow marking leaders. This is

truly nauseating. People should have woken up to this forty years ago, when they instead assasinated King (the

larger society all contributed to the event).

There is still much societal confusion about what it means to be

an alpha or "pansy". People who think John Wayne or Dirty Harry is the ideal for being alpha have as much to learn

as those who think a mild mannered, sensitive man with some effeminate qualities is a pansy, or cannot be alpha.

What ends up happening is we somehow cycle between macho "jerks" and "wimps" (who lack integrity, and the many

subtle varieties of courage Belgareth and I mentioned) without ever getting that these are both bullshit. They are

both empty shells where a man should be.

Fortunately, I think you can go back to the basic ideas of fatherhood,

of being a steward of the planet and its inhabitants, and find that there is a rich, well grounded source of

untapped masculine ideals.

We need to turn the page on the "old" way (really the twentieth century way, the

confused outgrowth of the industrial revolution, overlaid with wars. Masculinity, though still outmoded for today,

was much richer previously.) of looking at masculinity, strength, leadership, courage, and the like; and move into a

new future.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by theman03 View Post
    A.

Shouting implies that the particular person who is shouting doesn't feel important enough to be heard and thus has

to resort to "shouting" to be heard.!

Not always true, I remember when I was in the Army, I was a

training (platoon) leader in basic, and this was the norm. You have to distinguish what is an alpha personality and

what is a militant, or paramilitary personality. The military is involved with absolute power, control, and

brainwashing, moreover by bringing out the violent side of people and the warrior personality.

So shouting in

this regard is not an attempt to be heard, it is a power kick and a mechanism for control, ie if I tell someone to

attack, I expect him to go into a violent bloodthirsty rage charging after the target.

Passive reasoning doesnt

work to well in the military, you have to be a psycho to put yourself in a position that is life threatening, not

about being an alpha male but more about developing a psycotic personality, what it takes to get someone to fight

and temporarily forget about fear.

I guess I should say something else about this, this militant personality

sometimes shows up in me and tends to scare women away very quickly, a problem Ive got when talking to women. I dont

know how many times, I could see a girl was interested in me at first sight, then after talking to me everything

goes downhill quickly and they completely lose interest, I am good looking enough but my personality really seems to

turn women off a lot of times.

Stranger

Yeah,your right about the

army thing,Im in the army too and they scream.But thats just an alpha male doing his job,he doesnt act like that

after the job,then hed be a total nutjob.
    My seargent screams at me,insults me(hes not allowed but he does it

anyhow) but after the job hes a very cool chill guy.

Stranger

Although,I have a

question.All these traits about what being a alpha is all about.How do we know they'r real.
    I guess I'm having

some doubts,because all my friends say a true alpha male is violent,aggresive and a tad bit crazy.Kinda like Mike

Tyson.I like mike tyson,but I think is personality is very weak.They also say an alpha male cheats on his wife and

sleeps with multiple women,thus promiscuous.
    I highly doubt they're right.Can anyone tell me anything on the

subject?

You're absolutely right, what your

friends are describing is an asshole, not an alpha male. A true alpha doesn't need to scream and yell, he can give

orders in a cool, calm voice and they'll be carried out.
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

Stranger

Thank you,i was just

curious a bit.My grandpa always told me that a real man doesnt engage in selfdestructive lifestyle,especially

promiscuity.
    Thank you,I didn't know there were other people who shared this mindset.

Read through this thread and

you'll see a lot said about what being an alpha means. While all men have character flaws, seldom will you find a

true alpha behaving in the way your friends describe.

Agree with Jim, bullies ain't alphas.

I agree with your grandfather,

Jim and ID, men, real alpha men, can be a gentleman and never raise his voice. He doesn't need too. He also

doesn't need to worry about whether others think he is a man or a leader. He goes about living his life in a

fashion that denotes his personal strength and comfort with himself. He isn't a phony and doesn't put on airs. And

a true alpha male rarely sees a need to fight and never to threaten. He also is gentle and protective of others.

Thomas Jefferson

Stranger

yes,I guess it's true all

menj have character flaws,Ican always try to fix them though.I can never really be perfect but I can always try to

be a better person then I was yesterday.
    Thank you all for replyng,and sorry for my grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by andrei30000 View Post
    yes,I

guess it's true all menj have character flaws,Ican always try to fix them though.I can never really be perfect but

I can always try to be a better person then I was yesterday.
    Thank you all for replyng,and sorry for my

grammar.

That's a great attitude which will take you far.

Quote Originally Posted by andrei30000 View Post
    yes,I

guess it's true all menj have character flaws,Ican always try to fix them though.I can never really be perfect but

I can always try to be a better person then I was yesterday.
    Thank you all for replyng,and sorry for my

grammar.
    That's definately the right point of view. Good luck!

Thomas Jefferson

Stranger

Hello again guys,and thank

you for your kind replys.Damm,I have so many questions about what being a man is.Mos t of the time I know deep

inside whats right and whats wrong.But what I keep hearing recently is just ridiculous,so here it is.
    Almost

everybody nowdays(that I know) states that only gay people know how to dress and straight guys have no sense in what

to wear.I personally think this is ridiculous,I mean come on,I have to be gay in order to dress good,wtf.
    I thought

a real man should always know how to dress.I thought it's mandatory.We also hear this in the media.
    What is

everybodys thought on this one?

Dress the way you feel is most

comfortable and right for you. The only ones in the media who critisize the way men dress are those who want to sell

clothes or stuck-up "fashion experts" without a life of thier own.

The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Stranger

Wow, I just read this whole

thread. Lots of good information here, GOLDEN

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4

Thread Information