Close

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast
    Phero Guru

Default Tounge.

visit-red-300x50PNG
    McCain isn't going to

get the real conservative vote and isn't going to be hurt much by it I don't think. He was also out of campaign

funds till the Vichy Dem Lieberman showed up. I really do not understand what Ron Paul is up to, seems to be saying

"hang in there, things will change" without offering up much hope to his supporters.
    There is a cure for electile dysfuntion!!!!

Phero Guru

Have to agree with KK about

McCain, but Tongue's point is valid.

The dynamics on the Rep side still have some playing out to do. It'll

be interesting to see how the far right develops as they're forced to accept McCain.

Just for more tomfoolery,

how about McCain/Rice? Not such a stretch is it?

Phero Guru

Default to be honest...

whoever is

pulling McCain's puppet strings will likely pick his VP for him. Rice has said over and over that she's not

interested in public office.

Phero Pro

Quote Originally Posted by koolking1 View Post
    whoever is

pulling McCain's puppet strings will likely pick his VP for him. Rice has said over and over that she's not

interested in public office.

Now the above I agree with. I don't know how much of the

conservative vote McCain will get, but one thing is for sure. He will need a good percentage of them to have any

chance of being elected. Picking a democrat would finish him for sure. He has pissed of too many conservatives to

risk such a stupid move.

Phero Pro

[quote=koolking1;207847]McCain

isn't going to get the real conservative vote and isn't going to be hurt much by it I don't think. [/qu

He

may not get the conservative vote, but he must get a large percentage of it to be elected.

Phero Pro

Quote Originally Posted by idesign View Post
    It'll be

interesting to see how the far right develops as they're forced to accept McCain.

Who says

they are going to accept him?

Many coservatives would rather see the country contiue down the shitter with a

left wing democrat than another "RHINO".

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tounge View Post
    Who says

I find it interesting that many Republicans view Hillary

as far left wing while many Democrats call her "Republican lite". Guess it's all perspective. At least the gap

between the two sides isn't quite as bad as it used to be a couple years back, when the divisivenesss of the

political situation peaked.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 03-08-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

I'd frankly rather see them

further apart most of the time. If the two sides are busy fighting with each other they have less time to steal from

us and take away more of our freedoms.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Who says

Well, they may not totally accept him, but a *real*

conservative will not pull the lever for either of our current democrats. They'll stay home first, which is only

half as bad. Like I said before... I do think the dynamics will change. Reps may just have to take the bitter

medicine of McCain and wait for the next great conservative leader. If I'm wrong, it could be real trouble for

the GOP going forward.

Edit: the more I think about it though, the more your comments make sense. I'm just

fighting current reality with pure irrational disbelief.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    I find it interesting that

many Republicans view Hillary as far left wing while many Democrats call her "Republican lite". Guess it's all

perspective. At least the gap between the two sides isn't quite as bad as it used to be a couple years back, when

the divisivenesss of the political situation peaked.
    I think you're right about it being perspective,

but not only in the Rep/Dem way. Many in the Dem. party are radicalized so far left that even Hillary can be seen

as moderate. Much the same as McCain being "Democrat lite".

Also, I think a lot of Dems view Hillary in the

light of her husband, who is far more centrist than Hillary.

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    I'd frankly rather see them

further apart most of the time. If the two sides are busy fighting with each other they have less time to steal from

us and take away more of our freedoms.
    I'd prefer a clearer choice as well. You won't see any of your

suggestions come to pass until our electorate gets of their apathetic asses, and start playing a

role.

Quote Originally Posted by koolking1 View Post
    whoever is pulling McCain's puppet strings will likely pick his VP for him. Rice

has said over and over that she's not interested in public office.
    Yes, Rice has said that, and I think

of all people she's one who actually means it.

Puppet strings, hmmm. I wonder about that. McCain is

pissing off the Rep. base while courting disaster in the general election. Who could be pulling that string? His

VP choice may tell.
    Last edited by idesign; 03-09-2008 at 08:27 PM.

I'd

frankly rather see them further apart most of the time. If the two sides are busy fighting with each other they have

less time to steal from us and take away more of our freedoms.
    Lol. Was waiting for you to comment on that

one.

If I understand correctly, you are basically saying that Congress wasting their time and our money in

bickering, and accomplishing nothing whatsoever; is better than them accomplishing something which would undoubtedly

be bad.

You therefore win the DST Award for Political Cynicism to the Point of Nihilism (adding to your recent

A+ and Gold Star from another thread).

Is it cynicism when direct

evidence seems to indicate that the basis is factual? You do not address the fact that they are taking away from us

more than they return.

Right now there are so many laws on the books that you cannot help but break them. They

are a mass of hodge podge contradictions that make little if any sense. And our fine government continues to make

more laws when we really need fewer. You know very well if it were in my power I would reduce the government by at

least 90%. Watch how much better off we all would be.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Is it

cynicism when direct evidence seems to indicate that the basis is factual? You do not address the fact that they are

taking away from us more than they return.

Right now there are so many laws on the books that you cannot help

but break them. They are a mass of hodge podge contradictions that make little if any sense. And our fine government

continues to make more laws when we really need fewer. You know very well if it were in my power I would reduce the

government by at least 90%. Watch how much better off we all would be.
    Just teasing. I'll leave it up to

you to define "cynical" however you want. It's just an unimportant word.

It's hard to argue the government has

been doing a lot of good, or that there aren't ridiculous amounts of laws, many of them silly, on the books.

Even if you pick one law in one area, say on a particular real estate issue, which I have done recently, the

various cross references, clauses, ambiguities and exceptions on that one issue can often be mind boggling.

You

might even have to toggle back and forth between multiple codes just to understand one sentence in one code. Laws

are often pasted together in piecemeal, haphazard ways, or even written by the interests they are intended to cover

or regulate. Though I'm no lawyer or lawmaker, I imagine most laws could be rewritten to all our benefit, with

entire portions of code simplified greatly.

In addition, congresspeople responsible for voting on those laws

often don't read the 1000 or so pages these codes contain. It is ridiculous. Indeed, when most congresspeople

didn't even read the National Intelligence Estimate before initially voting on authorizing the war, for example,

how do you expect them to read "more trivial" legal documents?

I really wish all politicians would dedicate

themselves minimizing bureaucracy, red-tape, and inefficiency. They should award PhD's left and right to people who

figure out how to simplify laws. Whether one is Democrat, Republican, or neither should be irrelevant. Whether it's

a "conservative,' or "libertarian," or some other kind of idea, matters little. It's common sense.

It's hard

to see all this accomplished in our current political system, though we might pull ourselves toward that via our

suspenders. You'd think the idea behind this kind of reform would have popular appeal over time. Unfortnately

lawmakers love to write laws, just like surgeons like to cut on us, too often unnecessarily. (I'm a mental health

counselor and often think everybody is crazy.)

But anyway, does that mean that people working together through

public means -- "government" broadly speaking, if you will -- can accomplish nothing constructive? To the extent I

believed we couldn't, I would consider myself "cynical" about govenment, at least. I would definitely describe

myself as "skeptical" about all government programs, statutes, and members; for many of the same reasons you have

stated. I wouldn't believe I can afford to be hopeless about it; since pragmatically we will be forced to

participate in, or deal with, governments of some kind for the forseeable future. But again, I'm not going to argue

your points when I agree with so many aspects of that kind of issue.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 03-11-2008 at 05:06 AM.

Sorry, Doc. I was

teasing/baiting you with that first paragraph. My obscure humor can sometimes cause that kind of misunderstanding.

I can't disagree with anything you said there.

Thomas Jefferson

Phero Pro

Is it

cynicism when direct evidence seems to indicate that the basis is factual? You do not address the fact that they are

taking away from us more than they return.

Right now there are so many laws on the books that you cannot help

but break them. They are a mass of hodge podge contradictions that make little if any sense. And our fine government

continues to make more laws when we really need fewer. You know very well if it were in my power I would reduce the

government by at least 90%. Watch how much better off we all would be.

You would get my vote

in a heartbeat. Isn't it funny though that no politician says anything close to what you're saying. You actually

propose real CHANGE.

The

thing that "messed with my head" was Hillary publically acknowledging a Clinton/Obama ticket as a possibility.

What's up with that? Just struck me as strange, especially now. I wonder what Barack thinks of that prospect. I'm

betting he'd prefer Edwards. something about Vice President Hillary strikes me as spooky -- too much like First

Lady Hillary. Then you'd also have Bill Clinton participating in an Obama White House, if they

won.
    Looks like its messing with a lot of heads lately.

I completely missed this point at the

time, but Hillary/Bill floated the VP Obama scenario with Obama in the lead!

Some say it was the height of

arrogance in typical Clinton fashion. Others say a brilliant move which belittled Obama, ie "he's a nice boy, lets

see if he wants to play outfield". I think its probably a bit of both.

Of course Obama came out strutting like a

preacher shaming the devil.

The idea of Bill Clinton anywhere near the WH is creepy. But maybe he and Spitzer

can tag-team in the Lincoln bedroom.

On the Rep side, a lot of people are talking about the "M&M" ticket. Its

interesting to note though that its Lieberman who's traveling to the ME with McCain. That could be for other

reasons though.

Thanks Tounge. My greatest

fear, were I idiot enough to even consider running for office, is that within months I'd get impeached and/or

lynched for the skyrocketing unemployment as I fired government time wasters. Do you realize that if you laid off

half the government employees you could clear the national debt but would triple unemployment?

If any politician

wanted real change and real government reduction he would never get into office. Every useless lump on the

government payroll would vote against him out of fear for their jobs. You can't have them out doing real work, now

can you?

Thomas Jefferson

I

really wish all politicians would dedicate themselves minimizing bureaucracy, red-tape, and inefficiency. They

should award PhD's left and right to people who figure out how to simplify laws. Whether one is Democrat,

Republican, or neither should be irrelevant. Whether it's a "conservative,' or "libertarian," or some other kind

of idea, matters little. It's common sense.
    You know very well if it were in

my power I would reduce the government by at least 90%. Watch how much better off we all would

be.
    You would get my vote in a heartbeat. Isn't it funny though that no politician

says anything close to what you're saying. You actually propose real CHANGE.

This stuff is great guys,

cheers all around.

It's hard to see all this accomplished in our current political

system, though we might pull ourselves toward that via our suspenders. You'd think the idea behind this kind of

reform would have popular appeal over time.
    Definitely hard to see Doc, and though Bel was teasing, I

liked his remark about cynicism v. observation of reality. When I talk about politics with my g/f she says that

I'm "negative". Hrrmph! I'm just observing what I see. Definitions indeed.

One thought about the

popular appeal of reform. I do think there is a groundswell of opinion in that direction.
    The fact that we're all

here talking about it, from different ideological perspectives, is evidence. I can only assume that its happening

in many places and circumstances.

My fear (skepticism, cynicism) is that the bureaucratic inertia is too great.

My optimism is that I'm just silly enough to be an optimist.

Ok, back to work and "produce" something!

If any

politician wanted real change and real government reduction he would never get into office. Every useless lump on

the government payroll would vote against him out of fear for their jobs. You can't have them out doing real work,

now can you?
    Add to that the fact that the preponderance of gov't employees are Democrat, and have a

vested interest in not only voting their jobs into perpetuity, but in continuing their programs with increased

budgets. Not that today's Republicans are all that much better.

That's what makes me fear the bureaucracy as

much as any Senator or President. The leaders are not leading, they're following an entrenched and failed ideal

which has become a runaway train.

Note that any cut in *future budget increases* is always reported by the media

as "slashing budgets".

They've learned to market themselves well enough to make people think that any curb in

spending will "kill children and the elderly" or some such nonsense.

Rant off.
    Last edited by idesign; 03-11-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: mea culpa, whenever possible

This

stuff is great guys, cheers all around.

Definitely hard to see Doc, and though Bel was teasing, I liked

his remark about cynicism v. observation of reality. When I talk about politics with my g/f she says that I'm

"negative". Hrrmph! I'm just observing what I see. Definitions indeed.
    Actually, and even though all

of us are just teasing, there is nothing about the word "cynical" in the formal definitions that implies one

is necessarily wrong in one's "negativity" about the the human intentions, sentiments, or propspects one has

in one's cynical mind. I could be cynical about some politician and be right in the negative beliefs behind my

cynicism.

The issues of factuality and cynicism are independent. "Cynicism" is not like the word "paranoia",

where the notion everyone is out to get you is by definition irrational, such that you couldn't use the word

if everyone really was after someone.

Unfortunately, you being right does not in itself absolve

you from your girlfriend's criticism. Having said that, and in light of your hopeful comments, that doesn't

mean your girlfriend would necessarily be right to call you cynical, either...

For that matter, being

"right", in my experience, is of little use in the real world anyway, especially in relationships with certain

other genders. It's often easiest, or even more prudent, to just make yourself "wrong" and be done with it. How

cynical of me.

Looks

like its messing with a lot of heads lately.

I completely missed this point at the time, but Hillary/Bill

floated the VP Obama scenario with Obama in the lead!

Some say it was the height of arrogance in typical Clinton

fashion. Others say a brilliant move which belittled Obama, ie "he's a nice boy, lets see if he wants to play

outfield". I think its probably a bit of both.

Of course Obama came out strutting like a preacher shaming the

devil.

The idea of Bill Clinton anywhere near the WH is creepy. But maybe he and Spitzer can tag-team in the

Lincoln bedroom.

On the Rep side, a lot of people are talking about the "M&M" ticket. Its interesting to note

though that its Lieberman who's traveling to the ME with McCain. That could be for other reasons

though.
    I'm trying to get interested about the republican race. It is mildly interesting that Romney is

openly campaigning to be VP after having said, essentially, that no way in hell would he ever be McCain's VP, back

in January.

But for sheer drama, you can't beat the human drama machine that is Hillary. Hollywood ought to hire

her. Wait -- they already have.

How fun that one of her campaign finance officers, Geraldine Ferraro, comes

out like nineteen times and says Obama is only where he is because he is black. (I'm fantasizing about Obama coming

out with "Hillary's only where she is because she's a cold, calculating B!+ch". That would be hilarious.) How fun

that she patronizes frontrunner Obama and plays head games with the public by offering him the VP. I pretty much

expect her to run as an independent if she loses to Obama, just to hand the election to an aging one termer, so she

can run again in four years. I think hell would freeze over before she'd get the VP nod.

Hillary will say or do

anything to win, it seems. That makes her an exciting and fun competitor. Then again, I'm a sports fan.

Unfortunately, you being right does not in itself absolve you from your girlfriend's criticism. Having

said that, and in light of your hopeful comments, that doesn't mean your girlfriend would necessarily be right to

call you cynical, either...

I told her about our discussion over breakfast. She

commented very negatively about rearranging certain anatomical features in a way I've not heard before.

I'd lay low for a couple of days.

j/k of course, she's a very patient woman, even when I think I'm

right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34sMM...elated&search=
    Last edited by idesign; 03-13-2008 at 07:11 PM. Reason: adding fun

But

for sheer drama, you can't beat the human drama machine that is Hillary. Hollywood ought to hire her. Wait -- they

already have.
    Every time I see her on TV I wonder which Hillary we'll see, or maybe (pant!) a new

one! There are so many already. Yer right, kind of a cross between a sitcom, a soap opera and a playoff game.

I pretty much expect her to run as an independent if she loses to Obama, just to hand

the election to an aging one termer, so she can run again in four years.
    I'm still trying to get my

mind around this one. I wouldn't put it past her, for the motive you just named, but wow, is she really that

narcissistic? Don't anwser that.

If she did such a thing, the Dem party would spontaneously combust. Could

be fun.

Hillary will say or do anything to win, it seems. That makes her an exciting

and fun competitor. Then again, I'm a sports fan.
    Well, hold onto your season tickets, its about to get

more interesting.

Apparently Obama is coming out tomorrow with an "explanation" of his association with the Rev.

Wright. Now, this may seem uninteresting on its face, but this is the biggest "crisis" so far in his candidacy, and

he really does need to say something meaningful.

His greater challenge may be in not giving Hillary ammunition.

We'll see. My dad told me

that Obama's minister was once supportive of Louis Farrakhan, and that he'd never in a million years vote for him

because of that. I'm not sure who he supports. Interestingly, my parents' parish priest was a chronic

pedophile.

I get amused talking to people about why they vote for particular people. You learn a lot about

humanity that way.

It's usually because they have poured through congressional records to see how they voted,

and have examined their positions on the issues, as compared to the other candidates.

Just kidding!

Phero Guru

Default none

I kinda like the Rev Wright

myself. It's too bad Obama has to distance himself from him but he's smart to do so and did it today rather well.

There's a move afoot within Republican conservative circles to vote for Obama, they don't like him that much but

he's far better in their minds than McCain or Clinton. Ron Paul's still in there and he may yet prevail the way

the economy is going. They are destroying the dollar to save the banks and Wall Street, small time currency traders

in Amsterdam will no longer accept your tourist dollars for exchange as the value drops too quickly these days for

them. What are we going to do if oil producing countries stop taking the dollar, have you got some Euros to pay for

your gas? I think that's the next dilemna coming, no gas at the station.

So why do you think so

many conservatives dislike McCain so much, to the point of becoming turncoats?

It's not that strange, in that

most "progressives" -- people on the "left" who have more of an overarching political philosophy instead of just

seeing themselves as "Democrats" who vote for the Democrat -- would not have picked either Hillary or Barack as

their first choice. A lot of people on the left really detest Hillary, even though she definitely has her supporters

in certain demographics

It almost seems like, despite, say, Barack's rock star popularity in some circles, the

bigger majority of people with political interests aren't really happy with any of the candidates.

But I

really don't understand that level of rejection by the Right, since McCain seems to have voted with Bush the vast

majority of the time, even though he has a couple of very specific things he varies on. He still is going to come

down to the right of Obama on most eveything, is he not? In following his actual voting record over recent years, I

was of the opinion that a lot of Republicans were, when push comes to shove, much more moderate than McCain. I

don't get his reputation.

I don't quite get the angle these "consevative circles" are taking. I know Bush

really wasn't conservative in the traditional, old-school sense, or else he wouldn't have run up the defecit by so

many trillions. But Republicans were quite tenacious in their loyality to him for the longest time, until popular

opinion and continued Bush Administration screw ups forced their hands.

Frankly, I don't really understand what

conservatism means in 2008. That could be the problem. Neo-cons, or the Religious Right, have been much easier to

understand. But I don't really get it. Is there even such a thing as main stream conservatism any more? I'm not

even sure Republicans are more "conservative" than Democrats any more, in terms of traditional conservatism,

depending on the person. I don't know that being Democrat versus Republican is going to determine spending and

defecits any more; or, say, trade policy. It's hard to make sense of it, other than to throw your hands up.

For

a while I got so disgusted with politics I ceased to follow it in critical detail like I used to. So there's a lot

I feel I just don't know any more.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 03-18-2008 at 04:50 PM.

A note on Obama's

speech...

So, Obama trots out and proceeds to blame past bigotry for anger in the black community and Wright's

idiotic statements, effectively explaining it away and tossing a bone to the likes of Sharpton and Jackson.

This is "change"?

Phero Guru

Default So long, Barack Obama....

http://www.philipweiss.org/mondoweis...ntly-with.html

you should read the whole

thing but here's part of the above article:

"Today's Washington Post reports on a debate yesterday arranged

by United Jewish Committees in D.C. among Jewish advocates for Hillary, Obama, and McCain. The debate became a rout,

the Post columnist averred, in which the advocates for Hillary and McCain "used their time to raise doubts about

Obama's fealty to Israel."

Fealty to Israel? They portrayed Obama as a dangerous leftwinger, and when the

Illinois senator's surrogate defended Obama's statement that the U.S. does not have to cleave to Likud policies,

Ann Lewis, Hillary's advocate, responded:

"The role of the president of the United States is to support the

decisions that are made by the people of Israel. It is not up to us to pick and choose from among the political

parties.""

Frankly,

I don't really understand what conservatism means in 2008. That could be the problem. Neo-cons, or the Religious

Right, have been much easier to understand. But I don't really get it. Is there even such a thing as main stream

conservatism any more? I'm not even sure Republicans are more "conservative" than Democrats any more, in terms of

traditional conservatism, depending on the person. I don't know that being Democrat versus Republican is going to

determine spending and defecits any more; or, say, trade policy. It's hard to make sense of it, other than to throw

your hands up.

For a while I got so disgusted with politics I ceased to follow it in critical detail like I used

to. So there's a lot I feel I just don't know any more.
    An interesting view from "the other

side":

Oakton, Va. - Few dare to say it, but it's time we acknowledged a sad truth about American

politics: liberalism is dead – and it has been for 40 years.
    Of course, America's

conservative talk-show hosts can't admit this without facing the embarrassing fact that they have been beating a

dead horse all this time. One can imagine their fervent prayer: "Dear God, we don't have Soviet Communists anymore.

Please keep a few liberals for us to kick around."
    Rest of story

HERE!
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

Phero Guru

Default Republicans = Democrats

Making a

Recession Great
    Posted March 19th, 2008 by manystrom
    by Ron Paul | March 16, 2008

House Democrats

recently adopted a budget with massive tax hikes, many of which are directed at those Americans who can least afford

them. By allowing the Bush tax cuts to expire in 2010, this budget will raise income taxes not only on those in the

highest income brackets, but raises the lowest bracket from 10% to 15% as well. Estates would again be taxed at 55%.

The child tax credit would drop from $1000 to $500. Senior citizens relying on investment income would be hurt by

increases in dividend and capital gains taxes. It's not just that the Democrats want to raise taxes on the rich.

They want to raise taxes on everybody.

The problem is, policing the world is expensive, and if elected

officials insist upon continuing to fund our current foreign policy, the money has to come from somewhere. The wars

in Iraq and Afghanistan have already cost us over $1 trillion. The Democrats' budget gives the President all the

funding he needs for his foreign policy, so one wonders how serious they ever were about ending the war. While

Democrats propose to tax and spend, many Republicans aim to borrow and spend, which hurts the taxpayer just as much

in the long run.

Supporting a welfare state is expensive as well. Over half of our budget goes to mandatory

entitlements. The total cost of government now eats up over half of our national income, as calculated by Americans

for Tax Reform, and government is growing at an unprecedented rate. Our current financial situation is completely

untenable, and the worst part is, as government is becoming more and more voracious, the economy is shrinking.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst ... 212 ... LastLast

Thread Information