Close

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Alex157 View Post

No, not helping Muslims was a problem. My opinion is not typical for

Russians but I think that NATO had no choice but interfere there.

I was saying about

recognition of Kosovo. It was a direct violation of European principle of inviolability of frontiers in Europe. It

was signed by all European countries and by the US too. The US is not a European country : ) but others have no

excuse.

By the way, such independence violates logic too. If Kosovo has a right to be

independent from Serbia, any district of Kosovo where there are Serbian majority should have such a right

also.

Yes, I understand, but it is difficult to understand why a major ethnic

population within a region cannot have their political freedom when political boundaries have historically been

drawn randomly and without populations in mind. In Eastern Europe it is most difficult, especially in the Balkans

(Yugoslavia and Albania).

If Europe thinks its boundaries to be inviolable, then they need only think back to

their history when the Western nations continuously shifted alliances against various Eastern powers and schemed to

manipulate much of Eastern Europe (post-Ottoman) through those alliances. There was scarcely any time for E.Europe

to establish modern States before the Soviets put an end to that.
    Modern Europe is only a little more

enlightened, and they are concerned more with economic unity than ethnic freedoms.

Its my thinking that W.Europe

is not that comfortable being part of NATO as a useful force to begin with.

Arbitrary boundaries will

eventually be broken, and nowhere was it more volatile than the Balkans. But, there is little risk that smaller

populations will have the resources to break from the boundaries recently

established.

Well, first of all both nations – Abkazs and Ossetins

want to be with Russia, not Georgia, it is a fact. So it is not easy for Russia to be indifferent since all

Caucasian nations of Russia are against Georgia too and support Abkazia and South Ossetia. As NATO didn’t want

to see how Albanians were killed in Kosovo we don’t want to see how Georgians kill Abkazs and Ossetins.

Of course, the Kremlin has interests of its own there, but it has a great pretext for

operating there.

Now it is clear that both the West and the Kremlin have extremely

hypocritical positions. Both accuse each other of doing what the are doing themselves.

It is

a top of hypocrisy to shout about violation of international laws in Kosovo and then to do the same in Georgia. The

West has not any moral rights to accuse Russia after recognition of Kosovo too. It was the West who started it.

What you say makes sense, if you consider "self-determination" to be a goal for a modern

political philosophy. MtnJim's point is well taken, and your explanation is enlightening. In this way of looking

at Ossetia is Russia all that hypocritical? Of course you must discount other reasons.

Int'l politics and law

are constantly shifting, and have always been so. Today's hypocrite is yesterday's hero. The US knows this

because they have been caught in their own devices many times, but the game must be played with today's cards.

That's what makes yesterday's cards so troublesome.

As

for me I think nothing, but I am sure that if Russia begins to built military bases in Cuba the US wouldn’t be

too happy too.
    Ah, do you interpret such actions through the lens of a Soviet camera? Or

is the camera a modern Russian one? They are very different. Is it so hard to understand "manoeuvres

defensif"?

I saw the translations from the UN by the CNN. Of

course, Georgian representatives have a good command of English and in comparison with our old Soviet apparatchik

they look much better. Buy they lie as Stalin’s guys lied 60 years ago in the UN.

It was Saakasvili’s regime who started the war. And they started

it cowardly at the first day of Olympics. Hundreds of civilians died for nothing since the Kremlin was just glad to

this provocation and it was obvious that Russia would draw in its army.

By the way, Saakashvili is a mental person too. It is strange that the West cannot see it.

Yes, after some reading I think you are right.

As another thought, what do you think

of the UN?

As for my pictures, they are only good "snapshots", and not artistically rendered. I will gather some

and send them to you.

Nice to see you again!
    Last edited by idesign; 09-03-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Thread Information