Is this

Pheros?

junebug4,

I had the good

fortune to have an ongoing correspondence with

DrSmellThis during the period of time that he was

creating PHEROS.

While there

is much that I'm not at liberty to divulge, I think I can safely say the following without betraying any

confidence:
    The Good Doctor went to great lengths to research and employ ALL aspects of scent, including those

considered "above and beyond" mere "perfumery" when creating his fragrance. The scope of the research ranged from

the ancient to the contemporary, but wasn't limited to what might be termed "mainstream" or "traditional." The

terms "Magical" (spelled any way you like ) and "Alchemical" come to mind, but I'm not sure the Doc would

necessarily appreciate these characterizations.

I believe that EVERY ingredient that you can find for any

known formulation of Ruthvah is present within each bottle of

PHEROS with the exception of the

synthetics that it seems even the most reputable of suppliers are utilizing nowadays.
    But that handful of

Ruthvah ingredients, though prominent notes all, are but a fraction of the total package which comprises

roughly 150 different scent components.

In short,

PHEROS isn't Ruthvah, but a

whole lot more.

Oscar

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

No, but let's just say they

are cousins. No one has picked up on this "obscure connection" before you. Congratulations!

Pheros was in

part inspired by Ruthvah, or by a similar approach (not so "dark occult", though) to the one that created Ruthvah. I

think Pheros is more complex, but not lacking in some of the serious "spiritual" qualities one would hope

for, if you will.

Now you know one specific reason I described Pheros the way I did, as drawing on

extremely ancient traditions. It was an objective description, not just cute marketing!

Keep in mind, however,

that Ruthvah, or something very much like it, is a few thousand years old. Kings used it. You see, the basic ideas

of pheromone perfumery go back thousands of years.

I had been familiar with that ancient formulation for many

years before I ever heard of Love-Scent. I have also been familiar with more than one version of the perfume; at

least three versions. I am also familiar with various siblings of Ruthvah (also recreated by A.C.), which have also

inspired my perfuming. I was fortunate enough to know the re-creator of one of them (and of the siblings), a

remarkable person that was somewhat of an informal mentor in my own development.

I am not pretending to have

anyone's exact formulation; just the basic essentials and a significant bit more.

If I had to come up with my

own version, I could come close, at least in spirit, since I've studied it for years. Maybe I could even do better

than the commonly available version. There are some ingredients I don't have nailed, but by some accounts, I have

all the essential ones. I might have more original ingredients nailed than the commonly available version, for that

matter. Maybe not. I'm humble enough to know I could have my head up my butt, since I don't have the ancient

manuscripts, etc. I think mine would smell better by far, though, which isn't always the most relevant

factor in occult perfuming. It would smell compelling and intoxicating, to say the least.

I could do better to

my taste, in perfuming terms, anyway, (I'd be lacking some of the occult aspects, which isn't necesssarily a bad

thing if you have spiritual integrity in your own right) than the most readily available version.

It is

extremely, extremely expensive to make, especially to perfumer's quality. The main thing that would hold me back

would be funding. If I had the funding and supplies I could do it very quickly.

I don't think the one most

readily available version is quite perfumer's quality, due to the sheer expenses that would've been involved; but

it is still a remarkable formula. They cut a few corners perfuming wise, or ingredient quality-wise, but seem to

have the occult part down.

Instead I made Pheros, which is entirely an expression of my own creativity

(why try to copy someone else if you are a truly creative person with some grasp of the basic ideas of the

ancients?), and maybe a bit more attentive to perfuming aspects than the version of Ruthvah you are referring to.

Suffice it to say that there is nothing I know about Ruthvah that I did not keep in mind in designing Pheros.

Finally, I am wearing one of the versions as we speak.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 02-19-2007 at 06:34 AM.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    junebug4,

I

had the good fortune to have an ongoing correspondence with

DrSmellThis during the period of time that he was

creating PHEROS.

While there is

much that I'm not at liberty to divulge, I think I can safely say the following without betraying any

confidence:
    The Good Doctor went to great lengths to research and employ ALL aspects of scent, including those

considered "above and beyond" mere "perfumery" when creating his fragrance. The scope of the research ranged from

the ancient to the contemporary, but wasn't limited to what might be termed "mainstream" or "traditional." The

terms "Magical" (spelled any way you like ) and "Alchemical" come to mind, but I'm not sure the Doc would

necessarily appreciate these characterizations.

I believe that EVERY ingredient that you can find for any known

formulation of Ruthvah is present within each bottle of

PHEROS with the exception of the

synthetics that it seems even the most reputable of suppliers are utilizing nowadays.
    But that handful of

Ruthvah ingredients, though prominent notes all, are but a fraction of the total package which comprises

roughly 150 different scent components.

In short,

PHEROS isn't Ruthvah, but a

whole lot more.

Oscar
    Wow, Oscar, you beat me to the punch! Had I seen your post, I probably

wouldn't have written mine, yours is so good! Oh well, now he has two replies!
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Thread Information