Close

Stranger

Default Why I don't stay logged in?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I have to log in several times when replying to another user's post or posting a message of my

own. Usually, the system asks me to log in twice when I press "quote" to reply, then twice when I want to preview my

post and then twice when I submit it. Sometimes it's four times or more. Once, I was required to log in something

like ten times in a row before I gave up.

Enabling all cookies didn't help.

It's very annoying, as you might guess. What should I

do?

Seems like I have heard of this

happening before. Anyone else have this problem? What sort of browser are you using?

B
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

When you log on be sure to

check the box that says 'Remember me'. Otherwise, it forgets you every time it refreshes.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    What sort of

browser are you using?
    IE 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    When you log on be

sure to check the box that says 'Remember me'. Otherwise, it forgets you every time it refreshes.
    Looks

like this solved the problem. Thanks.

OK, thought it might be something

like that. All comes back to me now. :-)

Thanks Bel
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene

Stranger

When you log on be sure to check the box that says 'Remember me'. Otherwise,

it forgets you every time it refreshes.

One more thing. Everywhere else,

'remember me' means 'stay logged in on this computer' or 'remember my username on this computer'. I never want

either of those when I log in from my workplace or an Internet cafe. I wish you'd warn new users that on this

forum, 'remember me' has a different meaning. I would have never figured it out.

Stranger

And occasionally, I'm still

being logged out, although I have checked "remember me".

But it's basically OK now.

It only seems to affect certain

users this way. I'm not sure why. And, in fact, it is discussed in a previous thread. All you had to do was look

for it. You have to understand that there is a lot of information here and trying to put all of it in front of every

user is impossible. A certain amount of effort on the users' part isn't an unreasonable expectation.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Stranger

Well, I

see that after I had read your FAQ without finding the answer, I should have thought of it that the thread titled "A

somewhat dumb question, but..." contains the answer of my question. All right, I'll remember that before I post a

question next time, I have to read all threads which's titles reveal nothing about their content.

:-)

there is a lot of information here and trying to put

all of it in front of every user is impossible. A certain amount of effort on the users' part isn't an

unreasonable expectation.

In general – absolutely, but in this case, I

couldn't disagree more. In every (repeat: every) other website I have ever visited, "remember me" (or alike) means

that the site will remember your username (and in some cases your password) if you happen to visit the site again.

Since it's definitely undesirable for someone who cares about his privacy, it has become more or less automatical

for me to make sure that the "remember me" box is unchecked whenever I log in somewhere. Never, ever have I seen a

website before where "remember me" has the meaning of not being automatically logged out after each click I

make.

That "remember me" has a different meaning on this forum (or possibly in

this environment of forums) than it has everywhere else on the Internet, is something you can't expect an average

Internet user to be able to figure out. Users getting logged out after every move they make is not even an obscure

feature, it's bad programming, and you ought to do your utmost to get this bug fixed as quickly as possible. Your

attitude "why don't those stupid users stop bothering us with their stupid questions" is totally inappropriate in

this particular case. At the very least, a warning about this bug should be somewhere in the

FAQ.

Imagine you have bought a car that won't move forward unless you drive it

two meters backwards first, and when you contact the car manufacturer asking why the car won't move forward, he

says: "Why, you have to drive it two meters backwards first, of course." And when you ask why there is not a word

about it in the car manual, he says: "Jesus Christ, we can't include EVERYTHING in the manual. Besides, it was in

the newspapers last week, why didn't you read it?"

Magic,

This is one of those

times, when having a PM system would be handy. I would like to continue this discussion with you privately.

Obviously there is some tension here, and many years of experience with this forum have taught me at least one

thing. Issues that can be handled easily in private, can easily get worse in front of a crowd. I can see you feel

insulted by Bel's comment. I'm sure he didn't intend that. The nuts and bolts of it is that checking that

"remember me" box generally fixes the problem. Myself, once I log in and check the box on a particular browser

application (IE, Mozilla, whatever) on a particular computer, I will never have to log in there again. I'm sure

there is some logical explanation why you are still having that problem, but as soon as emotions enter into the

discussion, it is nearly impossible to come to a resolution.

Please write me (bruce(at)love-scent.com) and we can

discuss this further at your leisure.

B

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene

Thread Information