Close

Smile Yoga! Yoga! Yoga!

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I think that by now

just about everyone on this forum knows that I am not a cheerleader or strongly enthusiastic about anything. Saying

that I'm "reserved", "non-committal", or "neutral" is nice way of puttting it.

But I've recently

become enthusiastic about daily yoga practice after purchasing a DVD set by Cameron Shayne. I enjoy it so much that

I am basically clearing out my "great-room" and setting it up as a yoga/martial arts practice area. I'm also

considering selling my (fricking expensive) weight bench to make room for a new bed in what is supposed to be my

dining room, so that I can have more floor space. Weeeelllll.... maybe not.

Anyhow, Cameron Shayne's Budokon

style is a promising new blend of Zen meditation, Hatha Yoga, and Martial Arts drills. I say "promising" because

it's not exactly perfect or very refined - yet it has potential. But already I see that it's the perfect approach

for me, other than the fact that I prefer David Swenson's
    Ashtanga Yoga over Shayne's choice of Hatha Yoga.

Anyone else practice yoga? What style(s) and for how long? How has it changed you? I know that Bruce practices it,

and that the styles I've mentioned are not generally regarded as being very spiritual or metaphysical practices by

some of the (ahem...snobbier) yogi. What are your thoughts on these styles?

I'm almost

ready to begin taking martial arts classes again (10 more pounds to go) and I think I've just started down a very

long path.

For the first time in an unbelievably long time, I'm excited. It's almost as if I've "found

religion", and now I understand the joy that I've seen in peoples eyes when they profess, sincerely, that they're

"born again".

I'll try hard not to be an overbearing zealot, but I will include these two

links:
    http://www.budokon.com
    and
    http://www.a

shtanga.net

Oh, and Bruce, before you hit this thread -- I need to mention - I can't

stand what seems to be the "gold standard" in yogic spiritual writing -- long-winded, overly verbose, flowery

writing... like Stephen King on frickin acid. Not for me. A little emotion is just fine and dandy, heck, I can

stand a few lines of occasional self-indulgence in cheezy poetry--but why can't people just get to the damned

point?! A conversational and concise style of writing is more apt to get my attention and keep my attitude in

check. I have yet to find that.
    Last edited by gabe1970; 09-29-2006 at 03:12 AM.

Gabe,

Cool! Hear ya about the

verbocity. I think I have the book for you though. Email me your postal address and I'll have Amazon send you a

copy, no charge.

Peace (short-winded version)
    B
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

I practice Yoga daily. I've

practiced with the Hymilain Institue and currently with Dahn Yoga... I have to say, however, that Dahn yoga isn't a

traditional Indian Yoga. I've practiced Chi kung for years too and have been reading books about buddhism and etc.

for over twenty years. I've also taken some intensive classes in energy healing (including accupressure and

moxibustion) and am adding some techniques I'm learning from Mantak Chai. I'm currently doing some healing

practice. Yoga and related practices is a part of who I am and I journey to complete my soul/union.

Feel your

body...it is not you, its yours... Though your body you can grow your soul....unify your body, mind and spirit.

Enlightenment is empty without action.... Share your experience, your love and compassion and help others to

grow...

Wow! Right here in our midst, and

from Arlington Hts too. I lived there from birth thru high school. I don't guess you lived there back then

though? I graduated in 1968. :-)

B
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene

I graduated high school in about

1980. Went to Hersey, which is a public school built I think in about 1972? Most of my friends went to St. Viators.

When I was in college a good friend and I went to a yoga class and people were meditating and moving energy

through their spine and feeling their chakra's. It freaked me out and I thought it was a cult....LOL However, after

some years later I got interested and once you scratch that itch of spiritual development, then its going to be a

part of your life for ever.... Bruce, you know that, but its fun to share...

I was talking to a fella yesterday

who had no clue about any of this and he was asking me if the general classes that we do are all the same or if

there is some progression with them. I had to try to explain that it takes a long time to release your tensions and

learn to go inside. It takes at least a year to somewhat stabilize your emotions and avoid the big ups and downs and

three years (typically) until one gets stable and extra sensitive. Its all up to how much we want to put into each

class and how into it we really want to go... I've learned that sincerity is the key. Sounds simple but you have

to love yourself and focus your intent which takes practice. In any case, I told the fella that if he wanted we can

give him some homework to do after classes that will help him alot....LOL

In any case, talking to people about

yoga is one thing, but its when they talk with you and feel the love that you are that they feel there is something

special going on. Then, they realize that it's not just excercize, that its something more.

I started out

many years ago thinking that I could learn all this stuff by reading a book and yes it helped. It wasn't until I

took to practice (action) with an experiened person (master, teacher...) in a systematic way that my growth really

took off.

Bruce und Gabe uderstand all this, but for other curious people just reading this, it has been a very

worthwhile and increadible journey of self growth doing yoga and related practices. Get started and keep

going...you can do it!

I just read this morning Nelson Mandela's prayer...

Our Greatest Fear is not

that we are inadequate.
    Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our

light not our darkness that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves, “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,

talented, and fabulous?”

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God.

Your playing small doesn’t serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other

people won’t feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.

It is not just in some of us,
    it is in every one,
    And as we let our own light shine,

We unconsciously give other people Permission

to do the same.
    As we are liberated from our own

fear,

Our presence automatically liberates others.

Hersey was active while I was in

school as I remember. St. Viators also sounds very familiar. My gf thru most of that time went to Wheeling, so I

was up there quite a bit.

I got interested in yoga from the mystical/meditation side first and discovered the

exercises (asanas) later on as a supportive measure, so I still am much more regular with the meditation and study

than with the physical side alas. I teach a yoga class once a week, and we do an hour of asanas vs a half hour of

meditation (breathing with mantra). I try to do some asanas every day at home, but that one night a week is the

only time I really do a proper set. The meditation I am well immersed in. I first got interested in 1972 at the

age of 22 and got initiated by a teacher a year later. I stuck with it and went to India in 1978, again about 10

years later and one last time 10 years after that. I visited quite a few ashrams during those visits, but mostly

hung around with my own teacher/guru, Sri Sri Anandamurti. He passed away in 1990, but I have stuck with his

teachings. I was flondering a little with the discipline a couple of years ago, but when our baby was born, I felt

a strong urge to get back into it again. Now I meditate for a few hours (at least) every day; read books on yoga;

go to retreats; teach my one class; try to be a good parent and spouse.... stuff like that. Very happy for the most

part.

Baba Nam Kevalam
    B

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene

Bruce,

I just drove by

Wheeling High School today. I think they added a larger indoor recreational/track building but for the most part its

probably about the same. The main road, Route 83, has been expanded and all the land in the area has been developed

with homes. The big shopping mall in the area was Randhurst. It has seen some hard times but is still operating.

They redeveloped it a bit and added the usual big box stores such as Costco, Borders and Home Depot. There uses to

be a Chinese take out restaurant near Wheeling High School that was popular...and they are still there... Also Joe

Pizza is still around if you used to go there. Can't think of much else that might remind you of the area.

That

is wonderful Bruce. It seems to me that once you get a good taste of the spiritual life, it will stick with you...

Even if you flounder for a while, a book will show up, a teacher will show up, you will be walking in the park and

someone will be doing the same kind of Asana you were doing and you will get the urge to go back....

Today was a

hectic day for me. I went to a special mediation class this afternoon, then went to a regular yoga class and then

talked with a new couple looking for just yoga (lol).

Part of my everyday homework is doing bows, which isn't a

part of most indian yoga practices that I've been taught. It's a lot easier than some of the Asanas, but we do 103

a day which takes me about 35 minutes. I'll do some special breathing and sometimes meditation with a special

mantra.

As time has gone on we develop a sensitiviity, a calmnes and presence. Instead of pain and upset we

naturaly begin to chose love and things that are good for us and others...that make us stronger.... The strong love

and energy that we have influences others and we become healers for others....teaching class, listening, sharing

love and calm energy..... This is a very good path....

Ah Randhurst.... As I remember,

that was the first indoor shopping center (mall) in the Chicago area and was completed when I was in school (middle

or high?). Seems like they came out with the first oral polio vacine back then and we all stood in lines for hours

in Randhurst to get our free sugar cube. The rest is kind of hazy. :-)

re the spiritual path; I have this

overwhelming feeling like I need to take it to the next level somehow but not sure how to do that. Like I said, a

couple years back I started meditating more and more. I peaked out at about 10 hours a day I think. I was

experiencing deep peace during those hours, but then I would quickly sink back into my normal street consciousness

when I started working. I get this reoccuring feeling that the solution is keep that meditative state going

throughout my normal day, but it is tough.

The bowing you talk about sounds like a Buddhist practise. I had some

contact with Buddhism in Japan. Here in Eugene there is an active Tibetan Buddhist community. I went to a center

here recently to see a visiting teacher from Tibet by the name of Kenpo. He seems to be a very sincere guy. One of

his students comes to my yoga class regularly so we have a sort of conduit between the two worlds.

Peace,
    B

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene

I've looked into the Tibetten

practices and can send you an interesting book. I really could not get into it as part of their practice is to

visualize their gods and goddesses. A long meditation will include forty or more minutes of this type of

meditation...one after another....there are a lot of gods and goddesses... I don't know, that meditatiion wasn't

my cup of tea.

I made friends with a Lama who moved from tibet to Wisconsin of all places. Everytime we go to

Wisconsin we visit him...young guy too. He is very advanced and its fun to talk with him about spiritual

stuff..kinda comparing notes and etc. Since he has left Tibet he began teaching a bit but runs a business and works

a part time job. He tells me that everything is training... He is training all day. He looks for opportunities to

create peace and harmony with others. Amazing person.

At this point in my training I'm not sure what to say

about going deeper.... I'm surely on that path, but another part of me is starting to tell me that its my time to

share and heal others... Both choices are done together....

The classic way to find a teacher/master is to

meditate on it and chant ohmmmm. Then keep your eyes open. You will find each other.... You may see an ad in the

paper, coffee shop or internet or someone will brig it up in conversation.

To go deeper what is needed is more

sincerity. I've chanted Chun Byu Kung, which is an ancient text and found that the such practice can unite mind,

body and spirit. I assume with other mantras and prayers, this might also be possible.

Let me state what we

have already learned...

Whatever spiritual level we are on, one of the most important things is to have and open

heart and love.... feel and breathe joyfully. Be kind to ourselves and others... Love ourselves... What we see

and feel out there is what we have created inside ourselves...

Our emotions are stored in our body. Most

animals know how to shake out their bad emotions...humans tend to hang on to these memories/emotions.
    People need

to be healed, they need to release their past and future and strenthen their spirit. Through healing others, we

heal ourselves...

By the way, there is a movie at the theaters called "Fearless" which stars Jet Li... A very

surpringly deep movie that I think you will enjoy...

Regards,

Jim Strack

Ohm,
    I've been offline for

quite awhile. Sorry for the delayed reply.

I dig Power Yoga and it's more traditional version, Ashtanga or

Astanga Vinyasa. Iyengar Yoga might also be useful to me for working on the finer points of the poses and for

learning how to use different props. I really appreciate Rodney Yee's blunt, non-preachy instruction style of

Power Yoga. There are a few other similar instructors who I like, but I'm already writing off the majority of

Yogas predominant new-age-ish mumbo-jumboey flakey ass instructors and especially the writers.

I'm not going on

a damned spirit quest to find an instructor or a Llama. When I look for instruction I want the instructors to keep

it clear and concise, stick to the topic at hand, and don't frickin preach. If I want preachy, I'll do

"Christian Yoga" or whatever they call that "practice".

As far as my irreverant attitude/ outlook and approach

to the spiritual side of yoga, that's how I approach everything. I'd be insincere if I apologized for my lack of

tolerance for pointless discourse. I don't see the need to tolerate some fruity half-baked goofball in tights

guiding my meditation or visualization or telling me HOW to breathe using colorful descriptions. It's revolting

and distracting. Why not just "Cut to the chase"? I want an instructor who is "mindful" enough to tell me WHEN to

breathe and why, not one who spends 5 minutes of the 45 minute lesson in telling me fricking "how" to breathe right

after they tell me to inhale. (What, I'm supposed to hold my breath and listen to the speech for 5 minutes?)

In addition to Rodney Yee, Baron Baptiste seems cool, though obviously a bit preoccupied with himself. I

imagine fame, success and money does that to most anyone - especially people who are called a "Guru".

Beryl

Bender Berch is a goddess. I think she's like 60. I'd Bender.

And I want Nicki Doone, the Ashtanga Goddess,

also. Her little 80 pound vegetarian husband better watch his back if I ever end up in Maui.

The only other

instructor who's videos I intend to buy is David swenson, and that's because he makes those "Short form" videos

and supposedly has written a great book to accompany them. The full hour and a half Ashtanga form just doesn't fit

into my schedule along with Weightlfting and Martial Arts. And forget about meditating for more than 20 minutes.

It's too much.

So there you have it.
    I'm not chanting.
    I'm not doing multiple Hindu gods and

goddesses.
    The Llama can get bent, as far as i'm concerned.
    Basically, I'm not buying into any of that

crap.

Mystical tantric sex with a hot yoga master?
    MMmmmmm...maybe THAT I could get into.

Oh and the dude

teaching the Budokon videos I was originally into?
    ...needs to keep his fricking shirt on because his female

students all have bigger pecs than he does.
    Seriously, Cameron Shayne is a good instructor and might have good

credentials but I'm going to have to try to edit the audio on his DVD to get rid of some of the moronic hissing

sounds he has his students make while punching.
    -Gabe-
    I'm Ba-aaaaack.

Oh, And Jet Li's Fearless

rocked. I bought it on DVD in NYC's Chinatown and becuase of this I will be buying the retail version the DAY it

comes out. Fricking awesome.

Default Yoga great stuff

Beautiful

guys.Through yoga, which i have taken up recently.Has come some peace in mylife, recently went through a split with

a long term girlfriend. Being into athletics, a friend suggested yoga. Just some simple stuff, with a meditational

component at the end.

Being fit already, i decided to give iit a try. Wow,awesome stuff has helped no end, with

relaxation and thought process.I am off to yoga /meditation weekend next week, southern australia, melbourne.

It

keeps me balanced and has given me a greater awareness of things. Sometimes no matter what you do it finds you .

Going with it is the best decision i have made in a long time.

cheers and keep up the yoga??

Phero Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ohmmmm

I just

read this morning Nelson Mandela's prayer...

Our Greatest Fear is not that we are inadequate.
    Our

deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light not our darkness that most

frightens us.

We ask ourselves, “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?”

Actually, who are you not to be?

You are a child of God.

Your

playing small doesn’t serve the world.

There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other

people won’t feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.

It is not just in some of us,
    it is in every one,
    And as we let our own

light shine,

We unconsciously give other people Permission

to do the

same.
    As we are liberated from our own fear,

Our presence automatically liberates

others.
    nice prayer, ive met desmon tutu at university, and have met although from afar, nelson

mandela in Greece, very hard to understand how a man after 27 years in prison, can be so loving and forgiving. btw,

my very famous human rights lawyer uncle was the main instrument of mandelas release from prison, anyone who wants

to read up on him, PM me. He is on wilkepedia.

Woofa1, you got it....I'm so

happy to read your post.

Bronzie, Mr. Mandela can be an inspiration to all of us...we are surrounded by so many

miracles we hardly notice... Thanks for sharing!

Talking Funny Yoga vs Kung Fu video

This

video clip is hilarious and very well choreographed - a Yogi takes on two Kung Fu fighters...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrYlNNy929Y&eurl=

(Broadband recommended.)

ohmmmm.

Thanks for your kind

words.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Gabe,

Cool!

Hear ya about the verbocity. I think I have the book for you though. Email me your postal address and I'll have

Amazon send you a copy, no charge.

Peace (short-winded version)
    B
    Thanks for the book, I found

it very interesting.

Exclamation

I know my prior Yoga posts

seemed enthusiastic and I haven't posted for a long time, but I wanted to follow up on this and mention that I've

recently given up on Yoga practice because I get a lot more out of martial-arts oriented practice. Budokon is

sufficient, but I think he screwed up the order that the exercises are practiced in - and I have recently gotten

into the Elastic Steel stretching routine (http://www.elasticsteel.net/). Meditation, stretching, and

shadowboxing have entirely replaced my Yoga practice.

King of the coupons!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by gabe1970 View Post
    I know my

prior Yoga posts seemed enthusiastic and I haven't posted for a long time, but I wanted to follow up on this and

mention that I've recently given up on Yoga practice because I get a lot more out of martial-arts oriented

practice. Budokon is sufficient, but I think he screwed up the order that the exercises are practiced in - and I

have recently gotten into the Elastic Steel stretching routine (http://www.elasticsteel.net/).

Meditation, stretching, and shadowboxing have entirely replaced my Yoga practice.
    What's up, Gabe ...

How's everything?

What's new?

You give up on mones?

Yes, Yoga is good, and so is yogurt.
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

Everything's cool, nothings

new, yogurt makes me fart.

Quote Originally Posted by MOBLEYC57 View Post
    What's up, Gabe ... How's everything?

What's new?

You give up on mones?

Yes, Yoga is good, and so is yogurt.

Thread Information