Close

& Double Naught Spy InternationalPlayboy's Avatar

Default "I Got It At Superpawn!" (Jewelry Gifting)

visit-red-300x50PNG
    There's a commercial for a pawn shop that's been aired on local TV since before

Christmas that bothers me. A guy gives his woman diamond jewelry and she's estatic, it's what she's always

wanted. He then announces, "I got it at Superpawn!"

Now I have no problem with the idea of buying used

jewlery. Contrary to popular belief, jewelry is usually a poor investment and in the case of diamonds, is

artificially inflated by the monopoly held by the DeBeers. But I think it would be wise to not announce that the

jewelry came from a pawnshop.

What do the rest of you think? I'm especially interested in the opinions of

the women out there.

Never tell where you got

something or what it cost. I'd be offended if somebody asked me about the cost of a gift and I certainly am not

going to offer that information.

I will disagree that jewelry is a poor investment. It just depends on what you

are investing in. If it's your ongoing relationship, it can be a very good investment. If its in resale value or in

trying to win somebody's affection its probably a waste of money, more so in the later instance.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

& Double Naught Spy InternationalPlayboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    Never tell where you got something or what it cost. I'd be offended if somebody asked me about

the cost of a gift and I certainly am not going to offer that information.

I will disagree that jewelry is a

poor investment. It just depends on what you are investing in. If it's your ongoing relationship, it can be a very

good investment. If its in resale value or in trying to win somebody's affection its probably a waste of money,

more so in the later instance.
    I agree wit everything. I get a lot of trinklet gifts from of all

places, Publisher's Clearing House. They actually have some nice, affordable gifts for women. I will never tell

that I got something from there though.

As for the poor investment angle, I meant for resale value. You are

right on investing in a relationship and on trying to buy affection. I wear a ring that I designed myself that holds

a ruby and yellow sapphire. It cost more than the first two cars I owned put together, but I don't even consider

the resale value. I don't want to go into detail, but the ring has special symbology for me.

My brother in

law give my sister an engagement ring from one of his mom's previous marriages. I thought that was kind of tacky.

And from women I've told about this, potential bad luck as the ring came from a failed marriage. My sister had the

setting melted down and re-done. I think I would have had that done before I presented it.

Wood Elf's wedding ring was

custom made. I won't even tell her who made it. He's a fine artisan and I'll probably need his work again.

There are hundreds of small glass shops and jewelry designers around here. I take tremendous pleasure in giving

gifts that nobody else has anything like. I'm certainly not going to reveal my sources for such nice gifts.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Phero Dude

Okay...never tell her where you

live,never give out your real phone number,never spend more than twenty dollars on a date and never,ever get her a

gift! If at all possible,get her to pay for dinner,but in a pinch its okay to pay for what you had.

This is the

philosophy rendered by a very popular mens radio talk show host.I personaly dont agree with it,but it does lead to

the question...is it realy any of her business where you got the gift? When recieveing gifts there are some simple

rules like,never look a gift horse in the mouth (to examine its teeth)Its a gift and therefore just take it and be

happy.Or...my favorite...never sniff a gift fish.Its a fish,it smels like a fish.When you get it home you can make

the determination if its worth eating or not.But its always rude to ask "where did you get this" or "how much did

you spend?" or "Did you properly refrigerate this?"

On the flip side,its also considered very base to exclaim "I

got it at______ and spent X dollars on it!" Its a gift...leave it that way and get on with the business at

hand,which is why you gave her the gift in the first place...to get into her pants.If gift giving had no real

bennefit for guys,we wouldnt do it.Men are ultimately fairly practical when it comes to things like that.If the

activity immediately following the gift reception doesnt involve some kind of phisical expression of

appreciation,men stop giving gifts.Women sometimes forget this fact and it can lead to men developing an accute case

of NFL syndrome or chronic golfing.In extreme cases it can lead to a sudden outbreak of "red convertable" and

"younger woman" desease.
    "The wages of sin is death.But after taxes it's just sort of a tired feeling realy." -Ellen DeGeneres

Thread Information