Close

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Phero Enthusiast

Default How many on these boards are into the martial arts?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    After reading through this discussion board for a while, it seems as though there are quite a few

martial artists on this discussion board. I have a theory as to why this is the case. The martial arts are largely

solitary endeavors and tends to attract more men who are either lone wolf types, loners or shy guys who may have

been bullied growing up. Not all of them are like this, but I think quite a few men into the martial arts fit into

this category.

Now I would like to take a step further and theorize that men are into pheromones tend to either

have a history or shyness, being loners or have had problems in meeting women for various reasons.

I was bullied

growing up and have a history of shyness and being a loner. I've been practicing the martial arts for over 20

years. The first style I've studied was taekwondo and more recently, I've switched to kyokushin karate.

Phero Enthusiast

I'm into mixed martial arts

(MMA): no artistic part... pure fighting. MMA is what they do in the Ultimate Fighting Championship, for those of

you who don't know. I'm not a loner, nor was I bullied... I just like kicking ass, what can I say?

Journeyman

i just got into watching UFC and

those MMA(mixed martial arts) events recently.... me and my friends always have a good time betting with each other

and just watching a good fight. I cnoot say that i watch these sports due to bullying...... but i did have a hard

time in middle school with kids my age but everything pretty much changed once i got to high school... couple of ups

and downs but now im mature and in university so i can say that i watch these sports solely for the fun of

it......(im pretty sure no ones gonna fu#k with me unless they no that there gonna get whats coming to them)

Journeyman

Hmmm - I know this fits several

individuals here but that may be a bit of a generalization.

I am somewhat into martial arts but it serves a

purpose (work) and is not a way of life. I think martial arts shows a certain amount of A-type personality and the

aggression - competetiveness that goes with it, but tempered by a understanding of the importance of self-control.

I am somewhat independent - I never joined a fraternity in college. But I am a leader in a team environment.

Although it is a team environment that thrusts heavy responsibility down on each individual team member who must be

able to act and makes decisions on their own.

I am definitely NOT shy. My wife say I always "flirt with my

eyes". I say I am just being friendly. I seldom have had trouble meeting someone. (It's easy - just go talk to

them.) I have a lot of female friends in the circles I move in. I can give off the "CEE" if I am not careful but I

have learned the easiest way to avoid that is .... dramatic drum roll .... smile and be friendly. Be nice and

helpful if it is needed. Nothing that has not been pointed out in these forums before.

I took Taekwondo as a young

teenager. I got to 2nd degree blackbelt before pulling out. I wasn't bullied I did it for the dicipline and fight

moves.

I studied Kung fu starting as a

young teenager, more than anything because my big mouth got me into lots of trouble. A good friend thought the

training would mellow me a bit, which it did. When I was about 40 I moved from California to Texas and couldn't

find a master I liked so switched over to Tae Kwon Do. Have been doing that for about nine years now.

No, I

wasn't picked on much but have quite a temper and, as mentioned, a big mouth. Most of my life I've had to do

physical work so was strong even as a kid. It discouraged most people from picking on me. Where we lived kind of

enforced a lone wolf attitude until the track houses grew into the area. By then most of my loner habits were well

established. I think that a kid who didn't talk much and usually wandered around with a very large, mean looking

dog discouraged a lot of friendships.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Banned User

I was in Tae Kwon Do for seven

years while around high school age. I was the skinny little runt nerd everyone used to pick on, but I fortunately

didn't get beat up much. Ironically, I got involved because a friend of mine, also a skinny little runt nerd, got

beat up good. His mother put him in, and decided his sister should also join. She joined too. My mother was

friends with his mother, so she decided we were joining. Within a month it was just me left there.

I was

mainly there for something to do after school, but I was learning self esteem and didn't know it yet. I ended up

quitting when a gf committed suicide, and decided not to go back out of social anxiety. I really regret that

decision now.

Now, I am wanting to go back, but a bit nervouse because I have both stress induced asthma

and scarred lungs from chemotherapy, and I get out of breath very quickly with any physical exertion. But I really

miss it, and given how much I have grown and become more confident in myself in the mean time, I think if I could

pull it off, I'd be very proud to be back in the martial arts.

My school was interested in the practical

application - can you defend yourself on the street? - and they taught that as their main thrust.

You should get back into it,

find a good school and talk to the master first. A good one will work with you on your limitations. I've had to

take time out for health or business reasons more than once but always went back.

Practical application is

critical, the schools that teach tournament styles are doing the students a diservice, IMHO. On the other hand, the

confidence and respect taught in the korean or chinese fundamental schools is will worth the extra effort. It may

take longer to progress in rankings but you gain a lot more from it. There is a lot of philosophy to learn as well

as the physical side, they need to mesh to do the job right. It is, after all, an art form.

However, this really

has little to do with pheromones and the science of attraction so I am moving it to open discussion.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

& Double Naught Spy InternationalPlayboy's Avatar

I studied Okinawan

Kempo for several years. My school wasn't the greatest, many relatives of the founders were "gangster" types. After

a million dollar injury lawsuit, they cut back on sparring to practically none. Then they begged a black belt from

out of state and a different style to stay on after embarassing the school at a tournament we hosted because they

needed him to teach the pee wees.

The combination of my losing respect for the owners for begging this clown

to stay on and the non-sparring issue caused me to drop out right as I was ready to test for brown belt.

I

was also looking for "spiritual philosophy," which little of was taught at my dojo.

I miss it, but now my

knees and ankles bother me and I think that kind of training would be too hard on them. I'd like to learn Aikido,

but I would have to locate to a real city to find a school in that art. I now get my spiritual fix from my

meditation Guru, Siva Baba.

And yes, I am kind of a loner and was picked on in school. I never was one for

team sports and really took to this individual one until my school lost face with me.

Phero Dude

I am going to throw something

inot this theory that may strike a chord with some of you...Martial artists have a tendancy to be thoughtful in a

devious sort of way.More open minded and more inclined to study life from a distance befor engaging in it rather

than simply wading into it willy nilly.It has been my observation that martail artists tend to be the people who

actualy think BEFOR they act and as a result tend to display a higher level of competence in thier endevors because

they back up confidence with planning and forthought.

I spent quite a bit of my life

studying martial arts, karate, aikido, and Thai kick boxing, all over the world. Aikido I studided for 12 years in

Japan, and kick boxing at a gym in the middle of nowhere on a tropical island in Thailand; all memories for a

lifetime, and did me a world of good. I wasn't exactly bullied growing up, but I wsa pretty low on the totem pole

in school and developed rapidly into a lone wolf. It wasn't only martial arts that attracted me though; it was all

things Eastern and mysterious. I also spent quite a bit of time in Japan, China, India, Nepal, and Thailand

studying meditation. Some might call it escapism, but in retrospect I would say being "normal" in the US didn't

suit me. I suppose the eruption of drug culture in the 60s and 70s was a similar phenomenon. Everybody just needs

to fit in somewhere/somehow.

B
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

Phero Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by tim929
    I am going to throw

something inot this theory that may strike a chord with some of you...Martial artists have a tendancy to be

thoughtful in a devious sort of way.More open minded and more inclined to study life from a distance befor engaging

in it rather than simply wading into it willy nilly.It has been my observation that martail artists tend to be the

people who actualy think BEFOR they act and as a result tend to display a higher level of competence in thier

endevors because they back up confidence with planning and forthought.
    Good points... Methodical and or

detail oriented I think is a good word to use. That's not to say however that all martial artists are methodical

and detail oriented with everything they do, but when one is very serious about something it's very rare that

he/she will not apply it to at least one other aspect of his/her life. Now we can extend this supposition to

pheromones... I strongly believe that people who use pheromones are thoughtful and methodical to think about

attracting women or men with chemicals. In some ways it seems a little devious or under-handed, but either way you

look at it requires significant premeditation. In other words, we plan to attract women with pheromones, not just

haphazardly hope that our wit, charm and looks will do the trick alone.

Phero Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by InternationalPlayboy
    I

studied Okinawan Kempo for several years. .
    Okinawan Kempo is a strong stlye. I'd like to know why was

a $1 million law suit brought up?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger4
    Okinawan Kempo is

a strong stlye. I'd like to know why was a $1 million law suit brought up?
    Because we live in a country

where people who spill hot coffee in their own laps can sue the fast food company...And WIN!

Thomas Jefferson

Okinawan Kempo is a strong stlye. I'd like to know why was a $1 million law suit brought

up?
    Our dojo had bare cement floors. A "gangster" type (who was in my graduation class in high

school) earned his black belt, then moved away for several years. He came back and opened his own studio and billed

himself as "Master Willie," but still came to our school to work out occasionally.

This guy was giving

"fighting" classes after the regular class once a week. A buddy of his, who had just been promoted to black belt,

was fighting a brown belt. The brown belt was winning and Willie kept telling the new black belt that he couldn't

let a brown belt beat him. The black belt did a take down and the brown belt broke his collarbone on the bare cement

floor. There was nerve damage and he lost some use of his hand on that side.

The black belts never showed up

at our dojo again. There were insurance problems as Willie wasn't actually an official instructor of the school.

After that, it was like pulling teeth to get them to let us spar. They also encouraged all adults to sign up for

classes through the college so the college's insurance would cover them.

I think jumping jacks, etc. on the

bare floors helped facilitate my knee, ankle and back problems. This school is also located in Arizona, where

temperatures can approach 120 degrees in the summer. The dojo only had a swamp cooler, which they were reluctant to

use because of the expense of electricity. I would lose five pounds in sweat each summer evening workout.

As

a sidebar, about a year later, "Master Willie" knifed his brother in law at a family party. That was the last I ever

heard of him.

I didn't mind the lack of funds in the school and was loyal, even with the limited sparring.

It was when they begged the black belt from Arkansas and a different style to stay on after what he did at a

tournament and had to say afterwards that I finally dropped out.

Something

interesting is that the father of the injured brown belt was a black belt at our school. After the lawsuit, he was

still there.

Quote Originally Posted by tim929
    I am going to

throw something inot this theory that may strike a chord with some of you...Martial artists have a tendancy to be

thoughtful in a devious sort of way.More open minded and more inclined to study life from a distance befor engaging

in it rather than simply wading into it willy nilly.It has been my observation that martail artists tend to be the

people who actualy think BEFOR they act and as a result tend to display a higher level of competence in thier

endevors because they back up confidence with planning and forthought.
    I think you could say that about

half or more of us in the martial arts. The dojo I originally studied at discouraged those who were there simply to

learn to fight so had a higher percentage of what you could call true artists. A karate dojo I visited after moving

to Texas focused on street fighting and I felt that there was very little in the way of thought about what they were

doing other than the easiest way to win a fight. Very little of the discipline involved in that particular art was

taught there.

Both dojos I have been involved in discourage violent solutions except as a last resort. They do

not advocate 'Losing face' but emphasize trying to avoid situations where you'll need to fight. That requires

extensive forethought and it does carry over into other aspects of life. I started learning to train dogs when I was

about 8 and that requires certain forethought too. Maybe the need for forethought in an occupation attracts those

with a proclivity ofr such attitudes?

Thomas Jefferson

Phero Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by InternationalPlayboy
    Our

dojo had bare cement floors. A "gangster" type (who was in my graduation class in high school) earned his black

belt, then moved away for several years. He came back and opened his own studio and billed himself as "Master

Willie," but still came to our school to work out occasionally.

This guy was giving "fighting" classes after

the regular class once a week. A buddy of his, who had just been promoted to black belt, was fighting a brown belt.

The brown belt was winning and Willie kept telling the new black belt that he couldn't let a brown belt beat him.

The black belt did a take down and the brown belt broke his collarbone on the bare cement floor. There was nerve

damage and he lost some use of his hand on that side.

The black belts never showed up at our dojo again. There

were insurance problems as Willie wasn't actually an official instructor of the school. After that, it was like

pulling teeth to get them to let us spar. They also encouraged all adults to sign up for classes through the college

so the college's insurance would cover them.

I think jumping jacks, etc. on the bare floors helped facilitate

my knee, ankle and back problems. This school is also located in Arizona, where temperatures can approach 120

degrees in the summer. The dojo only had a swamp cooler, which they were reluctant to use because of the expense of

electricity. I would lose five pounds in sweat each summer evening workout.

As a sidebar, about a year later,

"Master Willie" knifed his brother in law at a family party. That was the last I ever heard of him.

That sounds like an ugly situation. I'm talking about the part where the brown belt broke his collar bone. The

bare concrete floor certainly didn't help anything. What did the black belt do, execute a judo throw or

something?

Where in Arizona was the school?

That

sounds like an ugly situation. I'm talking about the part where the brown belt broke his collar bone. The bare

concrete floor certainly didn't help anything. What did the black belt do, execute a judo throw or something?

Where in Arizona was the school?
    I'm not sure about the take down. I didn't personally witness

it. The dojo was in Yuma. I'm not sure if it's still open. One of the guys I worked with has opened his own school

and the college doesn't give classes through the dojo I was affiliated with anymore. The Arkansas guy who talked

crap about the founders and then was begged to stay left a couple of years later to open his own school too. In his

original style.

I've wanted to learn Tai Chi

ever since I saw an informercial on David Carradine's Tai Chi videos. It looked fairly easy to pick up.

I'm

totally non-flexible. I can barely cross my legs. I'm strictly a strength guy, like the big dude in Bloodsport

that broke a brick with his forehead

I've always been interested in MA. Some of the first movies that I

watched were "Talons of the Eagle" with Billy Blanks and "Full Contact" (I now own it). Mostly the 80s stuff is the

best: Van Damme, Don "the Dragon" Wilson, Michael Dutikoff (sp).

If I could learn any form, I would learn Eagle

Claw and Tiger. Also Krav Maga, and most of the weapons. I own a ninja-ken (sword), nunchucks, shurikens and a

balisong . I want to learn those and the bo, sai, chain whip, butterfly sword, and the

broadsword.

Personally I practise Systema.

Its not an art but I dont care for "spiritual philosophy" as people will always do whatever they want in the end. It

aint fancy, just gets straight to business. I've fought Taekwondo, Karate and Jujitsu guys and won every time, but

maybe they werent that good? Only another systema fighter comes close and Ive heard Krav Maga guys are leathal but

have yet to fight one. Also ive heard the dojo of Glock is pretty effective as well

As for the lawsuits and

injuries, dont you guys sign papers preventing lawsuit if injuried etc???

Phero Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Icehawk
    Personally I

practise Systema. Its not an art but I dont care for "spiritual philosophy" as people will always do whatever they

want in the end. It aint fancy, just gets straight to business. I've fought Taekwondo, Karate and Jujitsu guys and

won every time, but maybe they werent that good?
    Immediately after such a statement I realize that you

are not a martial artist nor do you know anything about what being a true martial artist is all about. Further

more, you probably wouldn't have the aptitude nor the discipline to learn a martial art.

Yes you are correct. I do not

practice a martial 'art'. I practice a fighting style. Nothing more. I do use it on the street, so learning an

'art' is pointeless for me. As for the aptitude or discipline part, well never know as I probably will never

venture into that area. Ive done my share of living however. I do live a very disciplined life. And I do see how

people could pick this as a way of life. But that aint for me. I only see the phisical. If you've got a problem

with that than fine.

do you fight in mixed martial arts

tournaments, icehawk? Just wondering as you have beaten a number of different styles. Do you know if they teach

this style in the U.K.

thanks

Nah, no turnaments for me.

Strickly practical use and sparring. A friend of mine practiced taekwondo and karate, but has since switched

over to systema. Its a very practical way of fighting. The idea is to close to and 'defeat' your opponent as

quickly and efficiently as possible. Maximum damage in minimum time. No fancy stuff, no high kicks etc. Here is an

excerp by an Aikido trainer;

"His skills are astounding and in perfect consonnance with the philosophy of aikido.

He never opposes an attack, but blends and leads the attacker into a fall or submission. Vladimir is humble but with

complete confidence born of his many years of training and exposure to life-and-death situations. Out on the mat I

found the training in Systema to be very rigorous. It includes lots of pushups, situps, varied breathing exercises,

and body strengthening exercises. Since it is so demanding, anyone who seriously trains will become very fit

quickly. The techniques themselves are applied with wave and spiral-type motions which can transform into a cascade

of follow-up movements depending on the reaction of the attacker. An important part of training time is devoted to

light, sparring exercises that are quite enjoyable and constantly challenge you to resist the temptation to use

power. Systema techniques performed at the highest level use only the minimum amount of energy and operate largely

on a mental/psychic plane. Also, the variety of training scenarios is vast ranging from empty-handed attacks, to the

use of various street and military weapons, multiple attacks, car-jackings, bodyguarding work, etc. You name it,

Systema has a body of techniques to deal with

it."

http://www.aikidojournal.com/article.php?artic

leID=367

Now in retrospect, I do realize that Im comming across as pompous. Simply put our fighting style is

relatively new and unknown so we end up screaming it to the world

Anyways here is a link to a few UK systema

sites. Check it out if you're

interested.
    http://www.russianmartialart.c

om/main.php?page=affiliates&loc=int

I’ve been practicing Aikido for 6

years. I’ve never been shy or a “lone wolf” and I tend to “go with my gut” rather than engage in a lot of planning

or reflection. But it may be significant that I took up the art during a lonely point in my life while I was riddled

with many self doubts.
    My original intent was to burn off aggressions and meet new people, but it’s turned

out to be something of a spiritual journey instead.
    My avatar illustrates an example of “irimi”: entering an

opponents attack before the point of impact. There are many cooler looking moves in aikido, but this one has lots of

symbolic significance for me. I used to always go out of my way to avoid unpleasant situations and I was a hopeless

procrastinator when faced with unpleasant tasks. I believe that the physical practice of “irimi” has given me the

spiritual strength and emotional resolve to jump right into any problematic situation before it turns into something

unmanageable. (But I don’t suppose there’s any way of proving that.)

I see a wide variety of personality

types at our dojo. Most got into the practice for the same reason that Bruce did: fascination with Japanese culture,

Eastern philosophy, and/or Oriental medicine. But the ones that stick with it tend to be the types that derive a lot

of joy from the practice.
    For me it’s just like being a little kid and roughhousing with my friends. There’s

lots of grappling, lots of tumbling, swordplay, nifty joint-pressure locks... Plus you get to dress up like a

samurai. On some days the instructor makes us do crazy things like a full session of “suwariwaza” (kneeling

techniques), and our dojo has no central heating or air-conditioning - which makes for really tough practice on cold

winter or hot summer days. But it always feels like play to me and I never seem to notice the hardships until after

the fact. (Sort of like when kids spend the whole day sledding and don’t notice that their toes and fingers have

gone numb.)

The martial arts are largely solitary endeavors
    I don’t know

about other martial arts, but Aikido shouldn’t be classified as a “solitary endeavor". All of the techniques are

counter-attacks, so there’s no way to practice on your own. On a deeper level, the techniques don’t really work

unless you have perfect timing and something like a sixth sense for how the attackers are going to react. So you

really need many skillful partners if you want to advance your own skills.

With regards to winning

fights... I think beyond any skills or techniques, you’ve got to have the will and desire to break another person

down. I don’t have that. So I don’t even bother getting into fights.
    Give truth a chance.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    You should

get back into it, find a good school and talk to the master first. A good one will work with you on your

limitations. I've had to take time out for health or business reasons more than once but always went back.

Practical application is critical, the schools that teach tournament styles are doing the students a diservice,

IMHO. On the other hand, the confidence and respect taught in the korean or chinese fundamental schools is will

worth the extra effort. It may take longer to progress in rankings but you gain a lot more from it. There is a lot

of philosophy to learn as well as the physical side, they need to mesh to do the job right. It is, after all, an art

form.

However, this really has little to do with pheromones and the science of attraction so I am moving it to

open discussion.
    I have concluded that since I keep hearing the same thing, I am going to get back into

it. I have also been told by doctors that I can improve lung volume by working them out, and I'm sure I could also

improve it with mental technique.

I heard from a friend the other day that one of the guys who was a brown belt

when I started is now a 5th degree black belt and runs the school I used to go to.

Well, at least I'm in good

with the Master. :-)

Shinte do & american freestyle &

yep I'm a loner.

I started with Kung Fu when I was

about 10. Later, Aikido, Kempo, and Judo. For the most part, I've never had to use it "for real". however, there

was a point in the jungles of Viet Nam where I was forced to demonstrate that people can die from these "arts".
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Started tae kwon do at 12 and

practiced off and on over the years, when I was a bit younger. I was originally inspired by the original "Kung Fu"

TV series with David Carradine, and some of the mysterious aspects. I boxed for a few years more recently, and

enjoyed it quite a bit. I learned that martial arts are a great precursor for boxing, but that boxers are much

better punchers.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Thread Information