Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtnjim
    I started with

Kung Fu when I was about 10. Later, Aikido, Kempo, and Judo. For the most part, I've never had to use it "for

real". however, there was a point in the jungles of Viet Nam where I was forced to demonstrate that people can die

from these "arts".
    I'm glad you made out alive, am sorry for your trauma, and am thankful for your

service.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis
    Started tae

kwon do at 12 and practiced off and on over the years, when I was a bit younger. I was originally inspired by the

original "Kung Fu" TV series with David Carradine, and some of the mysterious aspects. I boxed for a few years more

recently, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I learned that martial arts are a great precursor for boxing, but that boxers

are much better punchers.
    There isn't much punching involved in martial arts although some involve more of

it than others. I never liked using my fists, too much risk of broken bones and it hurts to hit something solid!

One of the best precursors for martial arts is ballet. The people I've worked with who studied any form of dance

but especially ballet were always well ahead of their peers.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Phero Dude

Dance and martial arts have alot

in common,especialy ballet.The level of awareness of ones own body,balance and coordination between limbs is

extremely high.As is the requirement for flexability, phisical fitness,strength and self discipline.

True and obvious to some, less

so to others. We get a fair number of tough guys and kids who fight in school sports through every now and then.

It's always fun to watch them when they try to prove how good they are already. Some of them are pretty decent,

especially the street fighters. But the most of them have to be untrained before you can teach them anything.

I

mentioned ballet because of how good they are right in the door. Quick, well balanced and some of those skinny,

petite girls are unbelievably aggressive.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Speaking of martial arts, I

came across

this:

http://www.thatvideosite.com/view/1393.html

:ee

k:

See if you can count the hits

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Netghost56
    Speaking of

martial arts, I came across

this:

:ee

k:

See if you can count the hits
    That is so fake. Those punches can't generate any power

to knockout even a bunny. In UFC, you get hit once and you are out. Well the truth about martial arts is that it is

all talk and no action. People in forums talk about martial arts like they know something. Same thing in the real

world. You got these karate and tkd black belts that haven't fought a fight other than some point sparring match.

These people actually think they can fight. What a load of crap. Everyone has theories in martial arts but hardly

anyone can really fight.

Default You must move like wind on water.

I've been studying mostly Wing Chun kung fu for several years now, and yes I'm a loner and was picked on a bit

when I was younger. Wing Chun is a no frills close quarters fighting art...always defending the centerline, close

the gap shut the opponent down with rapid fire strikes and kicks. Kicks in Wing Chun are aimed low, never kicking

higher than your solar plexus. At least that's how I was taught. Since Wing Chun is a standup art I also studied

Chin-na(sieze and control) which is a Chinese grappling art.
    I've studied Tai Chi Chuan as well and it's not as

easy as it seems. The moves are done slowly for precision and chi flow, and that slow movement is what makes it

difficult. You find yourself wanting to speed up, but speeding up results in sloppy movement. Tai chi also

doesn't rely on strength at all which most people have to learn not to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Netghost56
    Speaking of

martial arts, I came across this:

That's chi sao they're doing and it's a sensitivity drill from the Wing Chun style. The idea

behind chi sao (energy hands, some call it sticky hands) is to develope sensitivity in the forearms so that you can

'feel' your opponents intentions. When you feel an opening you can strike. It's a skill that can come in handy

when fighting up close. The guy in the video has some of the fastest strikes I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecity
    That is so

fake. Those punches can't generate any power to knockout even a bunny. In UFC, you get hit once and you are out.

Well the truth about martial arts is that it is all talk and no action. People in forums talk about martial arts

like they know something. Same thing in the real world. You got these karate and tkd black belts that haven't

fought a fight other than some point sparring match. These people actually think they can fight. What a load of

crap. Everyone has theories in martial arts but hardly anyone can really fight.
    Your welcome to come play

on the mats at my dojo sometime. I think you'll be in for a few bad surprises.

Thomas Jefferson

uh - yea i got hit by my

instructor in the chest with a phonebook padding the blow - I'm a big dude! could not breath in or out for a long

time - want a demo?

>>> I never liked using my fists,

too much risk of broken bones and it hurts to hit something solid!

Real late response - had to say it though

--> palm strikes ROCK!

There are a lot of alternatives

to fists. Palms, slashes and elbows are a few. I like using my elbows even though a lot of people think it gets you

in too close. You are inside your opponent's arc and most people don't know how to deal with it. You can do a lot

of damage and get back out before they can react.

Thomas Jefferson

Haaaaaaa - do what werks for ya! I

ackt "oh gosh no" let em get me into a hold then """breakout""' call 911 and "let-em-know" I dont know what

happened - I was attacked and "blacked out and you need to come get this dude" - soooooooo funny. Come play with us

here in S/W-MO ~ children come sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecity
    That is so fake.

Those punches can't generate any power to knockout even a bunny. In UFC, you get hit once and you are out. Well the

truth about martial arts is that it is all talk and no action. People in forums talk about martial arts like they

know something. Same thing in the real world. You got these karate and tkd black belts that haven't fought a fight

other than some point sparring match. These people actually think they can fight. What a load of crap. Everyone has

theories in martial arts but hardly anyone can really fight.
    I don’t know about chi sao, and I

don’t fight. But I was once rear-ended by a car going 30-40mph (according to the police report) while riding my

bike. I flew about 20 feet (no helmet) and walked away with some scrapes on my arm and leg.
    This was after just

3 years of aikido training.
    I don’t think your average UFC thug could take a fall like that.
    Give truth a chance.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by manchorito
    I'm into

mixed martial arts (MMA): no artistic part... pure fighting. MMA is what they do in the Ultimate Fighting

Championship, for those of you who don't know. I'm not a loner, nor was I bullied... I just like kicking ass, what

can I say?
    I'm on the same boat. I got into MMA about 5 years back because it was such a practical

hobby and was a great way to build physical strength. MMA just appeals to the raw basics of human competition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread Information