Close

Default Am I the only one who thinks Amouage is foul-smelling?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    A while back, I got some of the samples from Amouage, including the Gold, Dia and Ciel.

I don't

find any of these fragrances to be appealing.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the product is

overrated and doesn't smell all that great.

Personally, I think Joop!, Obsession and Acqua Di Gio just to

name a few are far better.

Banned User

iiiiiiiiiiiii
    Last edited by Macvictorocsf; 03-20-2007 at 02:23 AM.

Banned User

iiiiiiiiiiiii
    Last edited by Macvictorocsf; 03-20-2007 at 02:24 AM.

Phero Dude

I spoke with a perfumer (you

know,one of those perfume expert people) and she said that when you try a fragrance,its important to find out

exactly what that fragrance will do with YOUR individual body chemistry.Apperantly,what smells alot like a wet dog

in the bottle,for some will smell very appealing on thier skin.While others just smell like wet dog.I noticed that

when I went to the hot springs.The sulfer in the water smelled like rotten eggs.But when I left the pools my skin

had a very distinct,clean,almost sweet smell.My girlfriend at the time indicated that she wished she could bottle

that smell for me.

Mones will react differently on different people too.So it stands to reason that finding a

fragrance takes alittle work.

Perhaps my nose isn't "refined"

enough to appreciate this, but I find Amouage Gold to be awful! The scent, along with the price, makes me think that

this is some sort of joke played on the rich and tasteless who believe that, "if it's expensive, it's good". To me

this smells like, Johnson's Baby Powder with vinegar. I tried it out (just in case it was my nose) and heard things

like, "that stinks" and "smells like church". Perhaps the people around me are also "nasaly challenged". Regardless,

this obviously appeals to some.
    ________
    Gypsies advice
    Last edited by chicago; 04-08-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Personally I found Amouage Gold,

Dia and Ciel far from my taste as well although some folks swear it's the best. Alas, I had high hopes for them. I

don't think they're terrible but strike me as scents of a bygone era, e.g., something a circa 1965 balding lounge

lizard complete with polyester leisure suite, white shoes, polker chips and a maitai would dig. Of course I prefer

the lighter more summery scents like Weekend, Bulgari Aqua or L'eau D'Issay Miyake.
    "I'm just a dirty hornytoad" -Gegogi

Quote Originally Posted by PHP 87
    A while back, I

got some of the samples from Amouage, including the Gold, Dia and Ciel.

I don't find any of these fragrances to

be appealing.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that the product is overrated and doesn't smell all that

great.

Personally, I think Joop!, Obsession and Acqua Di Gio just to name a few are far better.
    Somebody

sent me some of those samples too. Very over-rated.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Amouage haters!

Banned User

I just received my samples in

the mail. They're sitting righ here in front of me. Unfortunately, they are "pour femme". My name is one of

those that can be male or female, but most people think of as being female. So apparently, I get the short end of

the stick yet again because of it.

Regardless, I like two of the three (of Espirit, Dia and Ciel), but not a

whole lot. Reminds me a lot of what my grandmother used to wear. It's potent stuff, though... I sprayed ONE spray

of each, away from myself, in still air (just to get some on the spray head to be able to smell it), and ended up

smelling like them. My roommate said I smelled like an old lady.

I was not impressed with plastic tester

bottles that look like teenie bopper lip glosses, and the scents were nice, but not my thing. I wish I had

specified samples for men...

Quote Originally Posted by catlord17
    I just

received my samples in the mail. They're sitting righ here in front of me. Unfortunately, they are "pour femme". My

name is one of those that can be male or female, but most people think of as being female. So apparently, I get the

short end of the stick yet again because of it.

Regardless, I like two of the three (of Espirit, Dia and Ciel),

but not a whole lot. Reminds me a lot of what my grandmother used to wear. It's potent stuff, though... I sprayed

ONE spray of each, away from myself, in still air (just to get some on the spray head to be able to smell it), and

ended up smelling like them. My roommate said I smelled like an old lady.

I was not impressed with plastic

tester bottles that look like teenie bopper lip glosses, and the scents were nice, but not my thing. I wish I had

specified samples for men...
    That's like when I received the SOE for men, a long time ago!

Seriously though, l have to agree with Tim929 - the ONLY way to test a perfume is to see how it interacts with

your own body chemistry. I love Dia (None of the others though). Then Gold is pretty similar, but just too heavy and

too "old". And you're right, one spray goes a long way with this stuff.

Hey - back to your dilemma - It's

Christmas... give the box to someone!
    Treasure Every Moment that you have
    Yesterday is History - Tomorrow is a Mystery
    Today is a Gift - That's why It's called the Present!
    (Unknown source)

Something's always "overrated" if

you don't like it and other people do. It basically means, "I don't know what all of these idiots are raving

about."

I was (and am) blown away by Dia, but never saw the charm in the others. I don't get the

Gold craze at all. But that's me.
    If a guy's a cocksucker in his life, when he dies, he don't become a saint. - Morris Levy, Hitmen

Holmes' Theme Song

Phero Dude

Plus don't forget that perfume does

change it's smell on you after a period of time , At first I thought the amouage (dia) was foul but after I let it

"sit" for a while (an hour or two) it wasn't so stinky, in fact I liked it!

Banned User

I will have to try it on

myself before I give it away, if that is what I decide to do, but I know a few women who might enjoy it.

In any

case, I can't try it right now because I am still using up my first batch of Secret Death Sauce, which smells

perhaps better than any other scent I have ever come across. (To me, of course.)

i agree with gaf. i have not

tried anything from amouage, but my favorite cologne, creed's bois du portugal, smells like beef stew when i first

spray it on. it takes about 30 minutes for the drydown to turn it into a very warm and sweet smell on me. you

really need to apply it to your skin and then let the scent develope awhile before drawing conclusions.
    Last edited by thenoser; 12-16-2005 at 02:27 PM.

I liked Dia a lot, Ciel less,

and Gold not at all.
    CptKipling

Information about pheromones: Pheromone Information Library

Phero Pharaoh

I've had girls literally melt

in my arms when I've been wearing Amouage Dia. It's going to depend totally on your body chemistry. That is why

experimentation is so important when you're dealing with colognes and pheromones.

Of course, you need to learn

how others react to your colognes. Men don't seem to like the Amouage Dia on me but many women/girls do. Of

course, it's not supposed to appeal to men so that says something right there.

But if you don't get good

results from your target audience with any particular cologne, then it's not a good choice for you.

And if you

do get good results, but you still cannot tolerate the fragrance yourself, you should still at least know what

"family" of fragrances work for you. You may find a similar fragrance that works well enough and doesn't make you

gag.

You have to be comfortable with yourself or you won't get anywhere in attracting people.

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

The problem isn't with

Amouage. Artistically, it is clear that they have achieved something special and brilliant in perfuming. It's like

saying Dylan was a good folk musician. A lot of people dislike his music, even for good reasons, from their

perspective. He had an attitude, and his voice wasn't sweet, or pretty. That doesn't make him bad, or even matter.

His music is very skilled, brilliant, deep, nuanced, pointed; and beautiful to many, especially people who know what

they are talking about.

People who only like trendy, summery, or light and simple scents, and who hate heavy

scents, won't like Amouage Gold, to be sure. It's a completely different category of perfume. Amouage Gold smells

great on me, even the women's formula. But I've always worn heavy, complex, natural scents well, even though I

don't have dark skin. My personality is complex and heavy in some ways, if that has anything to do with it. I

wanted to like the Dia badly -- the one the Noses are currently raving about the most -- but couldn't make myself.

I also rarely wear light, citrusy scents like Aqua, even though I appreciate that they're great for many.

Everybody's different, thank goodnesss.

Somebody also might have natural perfumes smell the best on them that

are no particular achievement in perfuming. Who cares? Wear what you like, what smells good on you, and what works.

The only thing I tend to feel strongly about is staying away from the cheap synthetic stuff. I think that if you

try lots of the finest perfumes and essential oils you can learn to avoid that. It's still important to develop

your own sense of smell so that, from your own standards at least, your taste gets better -- more educated, more

subtle, more mature (no, mature doesn't mean "old and decrepit"), and more sophisticated. A lot of the very best

smells, ambergris for example, are aquired tastes.

Because smelling is at once a skill, an art, and a

preference, the touch of humility shown by our esteemed, intelligent forum members is laudable. I'm glad people are

trying samples before purchasing $150 bottles.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 12-19-2005 at 08:22 PM.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

And if any of you want to get rid of

unwanted or maybe aquire some fragrence samples check the "Exchange" thread in Open Discussion...

Don't let em

go to waste.

(self-promotion time...)
    The opposite of love isn't hate.
    It's apathy

Banned User

I had my girlfriend try the

one she liked best after she smelled the atomizers, and it was Espirit. I like that one, too, but when she sprayed

it on and let it settle into her own chemistry, it smelled like pure baby powder. I was disappointed. (I don't

claim to be excellent as a nasal detective, of course.) I tried to get her to try the other one I like, which is

Eau d'Amouage, but she was in a crabby mood and refused. I suspect she is going to thank me later for giving these

to her, now that she works in an upscale store. :-)

They sent me all women's formulas, and I'm not sure I dare

try them on myself yet.

Thread Information