Close

visit-red-300x50PNG
    This can't be true because

women live longer than men, and women are very sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by wood elf

THURSDAY, Sept. 15 (HealthDay News) -- In a somewhat unexpected finding, societal

male dominance over women -- patriarchy -- may help explain why men have a lower life expectancy than women

worldwide.

British researchers analyzed rates of female murders and

male death rates from all causes in 51 countries in Europe, Asia, Australasia, and North and South America. The

prevalence of violence against women was used to indicate the extent of patriarchal control in each of the

countries. Socioeconomic factors were also taken into consideration.

The study found that women lived longer than men in all 51 countries. The study also found that those

countries with higher rates of female murders (indicating higher levels of patriarchy) also had higher rates for

male death and shorter male life expectancies, compared to countries with lower female murder rates, the researchers

said.

In fact, statistical analysis showed that variations between

countries in rates of violence against women accounted for close to half (49 percent) of the variation in male death

rates, the researchers noted.

"Our data suggest that oppression and

exploitation harm the oppressors as well as those they oppress," researchers at the University of Liverpool

concluded.

They noted that the higher death rate and shorter life

expectancy among men is "a preventable social condition, which can potentially be tackled through global social

policy."

For example, changes can be made in the way that young

males are socialized into patriarchal gender roles, such as the emphasis on risk taking, aggression and suppression

of emotions, the researchers said.

The findings appear in the

current issue of the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

Phero Dude

Im on the fence on this one.I am

38 years old and to this day I am a happy bachelor.Many of my friends are divorced.In some cases more than once and

I can see that women have shortend thier life spans dramaticly.My best friend has suffered kidney failure as a

result of stress induced high blood pressure after his treacherous ex-wife cheated on him and booted him out of the

house.He will die an early death BECAUSE of her...Most of the others have faired better,but only just alittle.And

the friends that I have that are still married all look upon me with envy because I still have my freedom.It sorta

pisses em off realy.

Man of La Pancha

Statistically speaking,

married men actually live longer, have more sex, and are happier than single men. They also have higher estrogen

levels.

Correlation doesn't necessarily mean causation, and I don't think that the number of female murders

indicates patriarchy. In fact, in many patriarchies, women are handled with great care and are never harmed. Women

are treated as treasures, so they are never harmed but also are not allowed to work (or do much of anything, for

that matter). In other words, I don't think they used the right statistic, and even if they did, I don't think

it's a valid causal argument. I think the article was written purely for shock value.

In reality, higher

murder rates in general, male or female, may be related to higher testosterone levels in the population ("roid rage"

is called that for a reason - testosterone pisses people off). Testosterone shortens a person's life span

(humorous double-meaning intended), so their findings are pretty predictable. They've already linked estrogen to

longer life spans, so the people killing everyone are either not in touch with their nurturing sides or just have

high testosterone and are prone to violence.

Journeyman

I'm actually more of a

believer that hormone replacement therapy for men would increase life-span. At the very least it will increase the

age at which your body is still functional. I would find that preferable to being decrepit. Quite frankly, I

don't believe the government's stupid steroid stance is in the best interest of the health of the country. There

is a reason the AMA and DEA opposed making steroids controlled substances. Thank goodness there are a couple

doctors out there actually using testosterone and other steroids for hormone replacement therapy as men get older.

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tim929
    Im on the fence

on this one.I am 38 years old and to this day I am a happy bachelor.Many of my friends are divorced.In some cases

more than once and I can see that women have shortend thier life spans dramaticly.My best friend has suffered kidney

failure as a result of stress induced high blood pressure after his treacherous ex-wife cheated on him and booted

him out of the house.He will die an early death BECAUSE of her...Most of the others have faired better,but only just

alittle.And the friends that I have that are still married all look upon me with envy because I still have my

freedom.It sorta pisses em off realy.
    Rather than be one way or another, it might be a process. My own

experience on this points to a kind of hormonal (and eventually neurological) shift with age, a developmental change

or maturity.

My body seems to be more telling me to settle down with one person right now, whereas before it was

telling me to play the field and keep my freedom.

If that hunch is correct, and despite the findings we have, it

might well be the case that it's most healthy to just go with what your biology is telling you to do at the current

time, knowing that it probably will all change. Being primarily alone, and/or having sex with every hot babe I come

across, feels less natural as I age/mature. It's progressively harder for my brain to think that way; to even

imagine it.
    It has snuck up on me in the past year or so.

Those biological changes may well have made it

easier to win the heart of my wonderful new girlfriend (who I've avoided talking about so as not to jinx it, as

tempting as it is), since it must have been reflected in my demeanor, actions, and pheromones.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Thread Information