Close

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    "Aerosols

A recent study in

Nature found cutting air pollution could trigger a surge in global warming. Aerosols cool the Earth by reflecting

radiation back into space. Scrapping them would have adverse consequences"

I've read about this as well.

Since these aerosols don't have a very long atmospheric life time, it's kind of like a time bomb waiting to go off

as we discover cleaner technologies.
    Give truth a chance.

Here’s excerpts from another

realclimate.org piece. I think this one begins to address a recurring theme in this thread.

Natural

Variability and Climate Sensitivity

In this commentary, I will discuss the question "If somebody were to

discover that climate variations in the past were stronger than previously thought, what would be the implications

for estimates of climate sensitivity?" Pick your favorite time period – Little ice age, Medieval Warm Period, Last

Glacial Maximum or Cretaceous – the issues are the same. In considering this question, it is important to keep in

mind that the predictions summarized in the IPCC reports are not the result of some kind of statistical fit to past

data. Thus, a revision in our picture of past climate variability does not translate in any direct way into a change

in the IPCC forecasts. These forecasts are based on comprehensive simulations incorporating the best available

representations of basic physical processes. Of course, data on past climates can be very useful in improving these

representations. In addition, past data can be used to provide independent estimates of climate sensitivity, which

provide a reality check on the models. Nonetheless, the path from data to change in forecast is a subtle

one.

Climate doesn't change all by itself. There's always a reason, though it may be hard to ferret out.

Often, the proximate cause of the climate change is some parameter of the climate system that can be set off from

the general collective behavior of the system and considered as a "given," even if it is not external to the system

strictly speaking. Such is the case for CO2 concentration. This is an example of a climate forcing. Other climate

forcings, such as solar variability and volcanic activity, are more clearly external to the Earth's climate system.

In order to estimate sensitivity from past climate variations, one must identify and quantify the climate forcings.

A large class of climate forcings can be translated into a common currency, known as radiative forcing. This is the

amount by which the forcing mechanism would change the top-of-atmosphere energy budget, if the temperature were not

allowed to change so as to restore equilibrium. Doubling CO2 produces a radiative forcing of about 4 Watts per

square meter. The effects of other well-mixed greenhouse gases can be accurately translated into radiative forcings.

Forcing caused by changes in the Sun's brightness, by dust in the atmosphere, or by volcanic aerosols can also be

translated into radiative forcing. The equivalence is not so precise in this case, since the geographic and temporal

pattern of the forcing is not the same as that for greenhouse gases, but numerous simulations indicate that there is

enough equivalence for the translation to be useful.

Thus, an estimate of climate sensitivity from past data

requires an estimate of the magnitude of the past climate changes and of the radiative forcings causing the changes.

Both are subject to uncertainties, and to revisions as scientific techniques improve.

The Last

Glacial Maximum (i.e. the most recent "ice age", abbreviated LGM) probably provides the best opportunity for using

the past to constrain climate sensitivity. The climate changes are large and reasonably well constrained by

observations. Moreover, the forcing mechanisms are quite well known, and one of them is precisely the same as will

cause future climate changes. During the LGM, CO2 dropped to 180 parts per million, as compared to pre-industrial

interglacial values of about 280 parts per million. Depending on just what you assume about cloud and water vapor

distributions, this yields a radiative forcing of about -2.5 Watts per square meter. Global mean temperatures

dropped by about 7°C at the LGM. Does this mean that the true climate sensitivity is (7/2.5) = 2.8°C per (Watt per

square meter)? That would indicate a terrifying 11.2 °C warming in response to a doubling of CO2. Fortunately, this

alarming estimate is based on faulty reasoning, because there is a lot more going on at LGM time than just the

change in CO2. Some of these things are feedbacks like water vapor, clouds and sea-ice, which could be reasonably

presumed to the future as well as the past. Other forcings, including the growth and decay of massive Northern

Hemisphere continental ice sheets, changes in atmospheric dust, and changes in the ocean circulation, are not likely

to have the same kind of effect in a future warming scenario as they did at glacial times. In estimating climate

sensitivity such effects must be controlled for, and subtracted out to yield the portion of climate change

attributable to CO2. Broadly speaking, we know that it is unlikely that current climate models are systematically

overestimating sensitivity to CO2 by very much, since most of the major models can get into the ballpark of the

correct tropical and Southern Hemisphere cooling when CO2 is dropped to 180 parts per million. No model gets very

much cooling south of the Equator without the effect of CO2. Hence, any change in model physics that reduced climate

sensitivity would make it much harder to account for the observed LGM cooling. Can we go beyond this rather vague

statement and use the LGM to say which of the many models is most likely to have the right climate sensitivity? Many

groups are working on this very question right now. Progress has become possible only recently, with the

availability of a few long-term coupled atmosphere-ocean simulations of the LGM climate. Time will tell how

successful the program will turn out...

However that shakes out, if somebody were to wake me up in the middle

of the night tomorrow and tell me that the LGM tropical temperatures were actually 6°C colder than the present,

rather than 3C as I currently think, my immediate reaction would be "Gosh, the climate sensitivity must be much

greater than anybody imagined!" That would be the correct reaction, too, because the rude awakener didn't suggest

anything about revisions in the strength of the forcing mechanisms.
    Now, how about the Holocene –

including the Little Ice Age and Medieval Warm Period that seem to figure so prominently in many skeptics' tracts ?

This is a far harder row to hoe, because the changes in both forcing and response are small and subject to large

uncertainties (as we have discussed in connection with the "Hockey Stick"). What we do know is that the proposed

forcing mechanisms – solar variability and mean volcanic activity – are small. Indeed, the main quandary faced by

climate scientists is how to estimate climate sensitivity from the Little Ice Age or Medieval Warm Period, at all,

given the relative small forcings over the past 1000 years, and the substantial uncertainties in both the forcings

and the temperature changes. The current picture of Holocene climate variations is based not just on tree ring data,

but on glacial mass balance and a wide variety of other proxy data. If this state of knowledge were to be revised in

such a way as to indicate that the amplitude of the climate variations were larger than previously thought, that

could very well call for for an upward revision of climate sensitivity

Indeed, quantitative studies of the

Holocene climate variations invariably support this notion (e.g. Hegerl et al, Geophys. Res. Lett 2003, or Andronova

et al Geophys. Res. Lett 2004.). Such studies can reasonably account for the observed variations as a response to

solar and volcanic forcing (and a few secondary things) with energy balance climate models tuned to have a climate

sensitivity equivalent to 2.5C per doubling of CO2. If the estimates of observed variations were made larger, a

greater sensitivity would then be required to fit the data. Ironically, even arch-skeptics Soon and Baliunas, who

would like to lay most of the blame for recent warming at the doorstep of solar effects, came to a compatible

conclusion in their own energy balance model study. Namely, any model that was sensitive enough to yield a large

response to recent solar variability would yield an even larger response to radiative forcing from recent (and

therefore also future) CO2 changes. As a result, their "best fit" of climate sensitivity for the twentieth century

is comfortably within the IPCC range.
    http://www.realclimate.org/index.php?p=229
    Give truth a chance.

Thanks IP.

I'd pretty much

given up on having an open and rational discussion. It's been plain for a while that few really understand the full

extent of the issues or the debates. I'm glad to see somebody else is willing to look beyond a very narrow set of

beliefs.

I/we do not dispute that the climate is changing. However, we do dispute the limited and narrow

perspective being pushed on us by a relatively small group of people. There is far more going on here than thses

simplistic viewpoints would have us believe.

Here are some other articles that either contradict IPCC/Global

Warming/CO2 theory or amplify on it:

Solar gain:

http://www.livescience.com/environment/050930_s

un_effect.html

http://www.livescience.

com/environment/050505_earth_bright.html

http://www.livescience.com/environment/050328_arctic_soot.html

Cooling:
    http://www.livescience.com/fo

rcesofnature/041217_sealevel_rise.html

http://www.livescience.com

/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=0412_sealevel_rise2_02.gif&cap =A+general+warming+trend+was+interrup

ted+by+a+sudden+cooling+event+8%2C200+years+ago%2C +then+temperatures+quickly+rebounded.+Credit%3A+NO AA%2FVon+Grafens

tein+et+al

Debate:
    http://www.livescience.

com/environment/060201_temperature_differences.html

http://www.livescience.com/environment/050505_earth_bright.html
    http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=

/20060205/NEWS08/602050317/-1/RSS
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    I'd pretty

much given up on having an open and rational discussion.
    Apparently.
    It's been plain for a while that

few really understand the full extent of the issues or the debates. I'm glad to see somebody else is willing to

look beyond a very narrow set of beliefs.
    When I saw Belgareth had posted I decided and committed to read it

with an open mind, reminding myself that I honestly do not care what the truth is about global warming and

greenhouse gases. I'm ready to be convinced.

There's nothing here to be open to, unfortunately. I'm still

waiting for an open and rational consideration of the central, critical issue I raised (AKA expanded on it nicely,

of course). It was a genuine, reasoned, basic point, phrased in a typical academic manner researchers should be

accustomed to. The dismissive response to it was puzzling. If someone was really secure in their understanding of

the issues, I'd have expected them to be glad I raised the question.

Simply admonishing people that their

discussion is "irrational, "narrow" and "simplistic"; that some scientist friends think they're being "illogical";

and that they "just don't understand" does not count as a substitute for basic reasoning.

An oft-seen statement

of the form "There are so many other issues we have to understand, for example:" also does not count as a rational

reply, or as an argument. The issues are simply listed, and not woven into a coherent logic that addresses the

central questions. This has been a problem throughout this thread, and I was trying to remedy it by asking a couple

basic questions. Those questions turned out to cause some trouble.
    I/we do not dispute that the climate is

changing. However, we do dispute the limited and narrow perspective being pushed on us by a relatively small group

of people. There is far more going on here than thses simplistic viewpoints would have us believe.
    I don't

understand what it means to accept "that the climate is changing." The rest of the paragraph is again of the

form "you have to think of many other issues," without a logical framework that revolves around a central

issue.
    Here are some other articles that either contradict IPCC/Global Warming/CO2 theory or amplify on

it:
    Thanks. I'll continue to read it with an open mind. So far, after following several links, I've seen

nothing to contradict the fundamental line of thinking I raised; a line of thinking that goes right to the heart

of the larger public debate at a basic level.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

I read through the articles and

found nothing that contradicts the IPCC Report (the uncertainties are well documented), but I will take a closer

look to see if they amplify anything.
    One of the articles mentioned the possibility that melting ice could

push our climate into another ice age. I’ve already brought up that possibility in my response to one of the

articles that DST posted on arctic warming.
    The first article, commented that the sun was responsible for 10 to

30% of global warming. I checked this against the IPCC report:
    I summed up the total estimated radiative

forcing of greenhouse gases, ozone, aerosols, biomass burning, solar radiation & etc. Because of variance in the

indirect role of aerosols (that is their effect on cloud albedo) I got two figures for the total global warming

effect. The high figure is 2.55 Watts per meter squared, the low figure is .95 Watts per meter squared. Solar

radiation is estimated at .3 Watts per meter squared. Therefore the sun’s role, according to the IPCC would range

from 12 - 32 % of total global warming. (Slightly HIGHER than what the article suggests.)
    Here’s the link

http://www.grida.no/climate/ipcc_tar/wg1/251.htm#6131
    Someone please tell me if I did the math

wrong.

In any case I saw nothing in any of the articles which contradicted the notion of CO2 as the #1

cause for global warming (and growing). Guess it’s because I’m too simplistic and irrational.
    Give truth a chance.

Default A note on the general science as regards earth-systems modeling, and a prominent myth

Studying the climate is very similar to studying humans

in that you are studying a complex, holistic, open (can react with other systems, like the rest of the solar

system), multi-leveled (with micro subsystems) and dynamic natural system.
    There is much in common between the

two theoretical and research mentalities because of this central fact. The earth is very much like a person in

many ways, and methods applicable to studying one are therefore often profitable for the other.

This is in

contrast to chemistry, biology and physics, which tend moreso to study discrete reactions, effects and lab

phenomena. These scientists like to reduce everything to a set of simple laws that will account for everything. They

need to change their approach radically when moving to study these kinds of systems, and take extra training in this

mentality. The fact that climatology or environmental science is a so called "physical science" like theirs is a

similarity, but only one similarity.

As a psychology researcher with a committment to "holism" (looking at the

big picture and how everything relates) I nonetheless know that when studying such systems you cannot wait for the

whole system to be mapped out before being satisfied to act on your results when studying a specific question (BTW,

the narrative model is IMO the best shot at this mapping in psychology, currently; and maybe the Gaia idea is a

candidate in environmental science). The mysteries of such systems are infinite and perpetually baffling.

What

you have to do is narrow down and focus your inquiry on the most crucial effect(s), even though you are holistic in

study design and interpretation of results. You learn that you can successfully isolate most effects (like that of

CO2 on T) if you are meticulous and creative in your design. You have to rely a great deal on statistics and

statistical modeling in studying these kinds of systems, because of their appropriateness to handle complexity and

uncertainty. It takes a great deal of graduate-level training and study to understand statistical modeling applied

to natural systems, as well as the other methodological issues involved.

For example, you need to know what you

can say and what you can't with various approaches to systems research; know how to isolate the most crucial

variables for study, tease out effects, and draw conclusions. None of this is easy, and these competencies typically

cannot be achieved by however much intensive study of a content area to accumulate factual information. What I have

tried to do is post on these research/methodological topics -- like basic scientific reasoning about basic data --

to stay within an area in which I might contribute.
    Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    However, I do not accept you as an expert in

scientific method when working scientists are asking the questions and suggesting the methods you are claiming are

illogical. You may not like the fact that I cannot ask the scientists I associate with to come on the forum to

refute your opinions but that's something I cannot do anything about. You can either accept that I am being honest

about what they say or not, it really doesn't matter.
    Because I have the aforementioned

research/methodological training at a doctoral level, I like to think I have a place in this kind of discussion, a

small, yet legitimate role to play. I never used the word "expert," because I lack the specific content and

technical knowledge that people like AKA and Belgareth have more of. I don't know how to be any more humble than

this. I'm not going to roll over and pretend to be stupid.

I've gradually been reading more and more content.

Often in my reading of global warming skeptics I see an argument of the general form that we need to map out

everything about the climate before we conclude anything about greenhouse gas-correlated global warming for

practical decision-making.

This is a faulty and irrelevant argument. In complex, dynamic, open natural

systems science, you can't do this. That's not how science works. You go ahead and study individual effects as

best you can.

To me this is a prominent myth of the debate, the more I read of it; and one on display in

this thread.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 02-09-2006 at 10:56 PM.

Do trees share blame for global warming?

By Peter N. Spotts | Staff writer of The Christian Science Monitor

Cows burp it,

pipelines and landfills leak it, and vast amounts lie frozen beneath the ocean floor. Methane is ubiquitous - as

fuel for heating and cooking and as a source of concern for atmospheric scientists. Molecule for molecule, methane

packs thousands of times more punch as a "greenhouse gas" than carbon dioxide does.

Until now, scientists tracking debits and credits in the globe's

methane "budget" figured they had a pretty good handle on where the gas comes from - mostly from microbes breaking

down organic material in places where oxygen is relatively scarce.

Enter Frank Keppler. Working with colleagues from Northern Ireland and the Netherlands, Dr. Keppler has

discovered that plants may give off significant amounts of methane just by growing. And the amount they give off

appears to rise with temperature. The results have stunned many researchers because no one expected methane to form

biologically out in the open air, where oxygen abounds.

It's not that there's more methane in the atmosphere, but that

some of it is coming from a wholly unexpected source. The results imply that, at best, this new source of methane

may need to be taken into account as nations try to curb carbon-dioxide emissions by planting trees. Would increased

methane emissions erase the gains against CO2? At worst, the results imply that thawing tundra in the Arctic is not

the only worrisome source of methane in a warming world.

The experiments Keppler and his colleagues performed grew out of the

team's effort to measure the gases that plants give off only in tiny amounts. When they looked at emissions from

dead leaves, "we saw a pattern of methane" along with other gases, says Keppler, a scientist at the Max Planck

Institute for Nuclear Physics in Heidelberg, Germany. Others had detected methane from rice plants, but thought the

rice merely acted as a minipipeline for methane formed in the muck in which rice grows.

Keppler put fresh and dried plant materials, as

well as young plants, in special chambers. He removed possible sources of contamination - including microbes - and

found that from bananas and sugar cane to European ash and Spanish moss, the material yielded

methane.

From

individual plants, the amounts are small: from 12 to 370 billionths of a gram. (One gram is about .04 ounces - the

weight of two small paper clips.) But the collective effect could be large. The team roughly calculates that,

globally, living plants may contribute from 10 to 30 percent of global methane

emissions.

The

phenomenon appears to be connected somehow to the presence of pectin in plants. For humans, pectin is used to set

jellies and jams. For plants, it serves as a kind of glue for cementing cells together.

The results, published in the Jan. 12 issue of

the journal Nature, have drawn astonished reactions and skepticism from researchers, particularly regarding the

extrapolations of global emissions.

"This needs to be confirmed," says Michael Keller, a scientist with

the US Forest Service's International Institute of Tropical Forestry in Rio Piedras, Puerto Rico, and a visiting

scientist at the University of New Hampshire. "Until we have the basic mechanisms" for creating methane in plants -

"or at least we understand the controls," such as nutrients, heat, or moisture - "it's hard to do reliable

extrapolations."

Still, he says, the results may help explain the high methane emissions he and others have found over tropical

forests using ground and satellite measurements. Other scientists recently have reported increased emissions over

Arctic-river flood plains in eastern Siberia, invoking a variation of the "rice pipeline" hypothesis to explain

them.

Given all the

scrutiny plants have undergone, one of the open questions is how researchers could have missed these emissions.

Keppler speculates that because the methane emissions are so small, they wouldn't have been detected in field

studies. Any signal would have been swamped by much larger natural background levels. And microbial sources have

been so well established that no one has looked for another mechanism.

For some researchers, the evidence Keppler and his

team presents is sufficiently convincing to begin working them into computer models of the globe's greenhouse-gas

budget - especially the potential implications for land-use changes. To do that, scientists will need to see how

emissions might vary with plant species, says Alex Guenther, a senior scientist at the National Center for

Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colo.

Belgareth has become disgusted

with this thread and on reading it I see why. The above article is a fine example of why he, I and many of my

colleagues feel actions suggested is precipitous. All discussion centers around carbon

dioxide concentrations mostly disregarding all other heat and heat retention sources. Those western entities

researching global warming have a mandate and are well known in the science community for not permitting

contra-indicative data to be published. Many were surprised that the above data was released.

Before continuing I must state something most laymen seem to not

know. The IPCC is not a neutral organization. They have a mandate to determine the effects of carbon dioxide on

atmospheric conditions. It is a narrow mandate which states many predetermined though unproven values and excludes

much work from all around the world. The leaders and scientists working or contracting to the IPCC are doing so out

of either a personal belief or financial motivation. As any other human they are unlikely to present evidence that

would cause them to become unemployed or unwelcome within the community in which they work. I see where comments are

made to the effect of all the published works within their venue. It is but a small fraction of the peer reviewed

and published work available to any researcher within the western world. Certainly, much is unavailable to the

layman but the IPCC, the European Union and the press make no effort to bring other data to public scrutiny. Many in

my field know from our own work that it is because so much of it would undermine the arguments of the global

warming/Carbon Dioxide theorists.

For some time prior to coming the

the US I studied in Britian. I still have many friends in the British scientific community as well as some within

the IPCC. Like many scientists I also attend conferences of my peers. As with any professionals, we talk and we

gossip about our profession. I tell you now from certain knowledge that you are correct that the Bush administration

is suppressing data and research. I also tell you that the European Union, the British goivernment and the IPCC are

doing the same. I also tell you that dissentors are being harrased by the IPCC. You need not like it or believe it

but it is a well known fact within my profession. This is but one of many reasons that in a perfect world politics

should never be allowed to impinge on scientific work. It invalidates much of our work through setting

pre-determined goals.

I ask that you keep in mind that much of what

Belgareth says here he cannot reveal sources as I, my co-workers and our research databases are his sources. I am a

research scientist and a professor working in the life sciences department in a major university. I am the one who

did not accept the research method DrSmellThis suggested and had one of my students brought those conclusions to me

I would have sent them back to check assumptions and prove the reliability of the variables. It is fine if you are

attempting to demonstrate a point within a very narrow area. If you wish to truly prove carbon dioxide is the major

contributing factor you must do far better than that. The research is full of holes.

Let us examine just one small facet and how it relates to the above article. I first would like to

state that the Max Plank Institute is held up as the epitome of good science and that they are one of the standards

we all wish we could emulate. The data presented above would not have been released had it not been completely

reviewed and defended. It will be examined in detail by other scientists around the world but many will be surprised

if any important flaws are found in the methodology, the results, the assumptions or the

extrapolations.

Working with a small area of rain forest we see that

it indeed is absorbing and using carbon dioxide and releasing oxygen. We also observe a plume of methane above the

forest. A first examination reveals bacteria releases methane thus we attribute the plume to bacterial action.

Further examination and checking of assumptions demonstrates that it is not likely the bacteria could produce the

noited quantity of methane. Independent research determines that plants may be producing it in greater quantities

than the bacteria. We now have several questions. The basic ones will look at how much methane the plants produce

under given conditions. Wider ones will examine the impact on local and global

conditions.

Research seems to indicate greater amounts of methane are

produced as temperature increases. That seems reasonable as plant growth activity also increases with temperature.

How does this effect relate to the environment? It is well known by science that methane is far better at heat

retention than carbon dioxide so we must ask ourselves if it is having an impact on the global temperatures and if

so, what that impact is. this is where we are now. The methane research must be verified. At the same time, the

changes in methane levels and impact on heat retention must be examined. Will increased methane effect the climate

models? Of course they will. It comes close to invalidating the entire model structure because we know methane is

released globally by many different actions.

Another example of poor

work and misinformation was shown in an article I recently read. They were discussing glacial melting and used both

the frozen man from Italy and moss that had been buried as evidence that glaciers were retreating more than they had

in five thousand years. This is true but an understatement of the facts. It also indicates that prior to five

thousand years ago the globe may have been warmer than it is today. That is not surprising as environmental evidence

indicates the globe is somewhat cooler than the average over time and ten thousand years ago the globe was far

warmer. When we attempt to correlate other data we find what seems to indicate public statements by the IPCC may be

erroneous. Despite global evidence of significantly higher temperatures some ten thousand years ago there is no

evidence to indicate the greater available fresh water resulted in the massive coastal flooding predicted.

Much of what has been argued in this thread is fallacious or a

glossing over of facts or the use of miniscule pieces to evade addressing the need to account for the world as a

whole. Some is a clear misrepresentation of facts. An item which comes to mind is the question of solar output. It

is stated that the sun is cooling. That is not conclusive and may be completely wrong. A single study seemed to say

the solar output has decreased. Yet other studies seem to say otherwise. It is still an open question as solar

variations are wide ranging and erratic to a large degree. What is not accounted for though Belgareth mentioned it

at one time is latency. Consider this: we are working with a great mass. An event occuring today may not be felt for

years. An instance is solar fluctuation. The earth surface is mostly ocean and currents move water from deep within

the seas to the surface drawing other water deeper. Suface water heated by the sun may be drawn deeper increasing

heat of deep sea water. A small fraction of one degree increase in heat spread over the entire ocean is a great

amount of energy. When this heat resurfaces it will impact sea surface as well as air temperatures. How long does

this take to occur? Science believes it may take hundreds to thousands of years as a result of the masses and

mechanics involved.

As I am on the subject of sea temperatures I feel

it is important to bring another subject to the forefront. Only one paper is released thus far on the topic of

magnetic flux generated thermal energy withinthe earth. Several other teams are working in this area with

interesting results. Preliminary results indicate that crust temperatures have increased by 0.1 degree C in the last

fifty years. A small number true. But a huge amount of energy that should account for a substantial fraction of

glacial melting and sea water temperatures. Results are not complete yet so Imust generalize but the energy should

be accounted for when discussing arctic and glacial melt rates.

None

imply the globe is not warming. We do say that the science and solutions presented are not a comprehensive and

reliable addressing of the issue. It is certain that there are more factors at work here than being addressed and

that those factors drastically effect the validity of the global warming/Carbon Dioxide scenerio.

Above is mentioned only

some very few of the hundreds of interlinked issues that must be addressed. Do not assume you know the answers until

you have asked the questions. The questions have not been asked to date thus the answers are unknown despite what

many both here and elsewhere would have you believe.

I will offer

one other belief of mine. History, most especialy recent history, is replete with examples of lies and

misrepresentaion used to manipulate public opinion to achieve some goal. Most often those were not worthy goals.

Defending the environment is a worthy goal and is able to stand on its own merit. It will not be accomplished

through lies, deception or manipulation of scientific fact. It will not be accomplished through coercive laws. It

can be done by making it worthwhile to people to do so. The people have been lied to so often that we find it hard

to accept anything stated any longer. To make progress today we must stop the lies, present the truth and prove it.

Then we must offer acceptable alternatives. Anything less is destined to fail.

I guess what I'm about to

say will be ironic, considering where I stand on the issue.

This is not a forum of scientists. It's a forum of

people who are seeking to better themselves and their lives. So to have an intellectual discussion about something

so complex, and expect people to be able to follow along no matter how complicated the data becomes is foolish. I,

for my part, am a simple country bumpkin. I wish I was as smart as some people, but wishing doesn't make it

so.

As far as I'm concerned, I think this discussion has disintegrated into an intellectual strongman contest,

and I can't keep up with the mountains of data that's being heaped onto these pages.

Now for blasphemy: When

applicable, I let my conscience and my emotions affect my decisions. That's a loaded statement, but I assure you

it's not that significant. In this issue, to make my decision about where I stand, I simply look out my window. I

take note of what's out there, and decide, "Are things changing?" If not, then no worries. If so, then why? And I

just go from there.

Go ahead, call me an idiot and reduce me to bits.

While you're at it, call me a bigot

too.

I am very pessimistic about the human race. There's a line in the Matrix movie about humans being a disease

on this planet. That about sums up my feelings. To look at where the planet was 10,000 years ago, and where it is

now it's quite shocking to see how much we've ruined and destroyed. No other creature can claim that they've

affected the planet so.

That's why it's easy for me to see humans as the prime suspect in global warming.

We've messed up everything else, why not this?

For more than 40 years, people, like "hippies" or "tree-huggers"

have said that things were getting worse, but nobody cared. "Too much money" or "Nothing's wrong" was always the

answer. Now that people are finally getting concerned, others want to say "It's supposed to be like this". Public

opinion is feeble and fragile. Too much debate kills the interest, no matter how neccessary.

Here's my plan,

take it or leave it: Stop pollution, conserve and recycle everything, and see what happens. If it causes a positive

change in global warming, there ya go. If it doesn't, well, I'll owe you a Coke.

In all seriousness, if it

doesn't, at least we've cleaned up alittle. That can never hurt.

To end, I speak from the heart. And my heart

says that there's too many things that we've done wrong to not be suspect in global warming. Even if we're just a

little responsible.
    "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Or the one."

http://news.independent.co.uk/environment/articl

e344690.ece

...just passing along an article I came across today, not expressing an opinion on it -- but

some scary thoughts.

Is anyone really confident we're not in grave danger from our own actions? How do you

quantify the level of risk, in any case? At what risk level do you have to take the most promising actions NOW to

address those risks?

In the face of what I've seen so far, I just can't buy the argument that doing nothing

until the whole general picture of planetary climate change is someday understood is somehow minimizing overall

risk; compared to doing what we can now and remaining flexible as the future science progresses. I'm still open

to being convinced, but it would have to be a super-duper strong argument; and I've seen nothing even approaching

a strong argument.

Default Interview with Dr Lindzen, Richard S.

Lindzen, Richard S.
    lindzen@wind.mit.edu
    (617)

253-2432
    Alfred P. Sloan Professor of Meteorology, Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences

Professor Lindzen is a dynamical meteorologist with interests in the broad topics of climate, planetary

waves, monsoon meteorology, planetary atmospheres, and hydrodynamic instability. His research involves studies of

the role of the tropics in mid-latitude weather and global heat transport, the moisture budget and its role in

global change, the origins of ice ages, seasonal effects in atmospheric transport, stratospheric waves, and the

observational determination of climate sensitivity. He has made major contributions to the development of the

current theory for the Hadley Circulation, which dominates the atmospheric transport of heat and momentum from the

tropics to higher latitudes, and has advanced the understanding of the role of small scale gravity waves in

producing the reversal of global temperature gradients at the mesopause. He pioneered the study of how ozone

photochemistry, radiative transfer and dynamics interact with each other. He is currently studying the ways in which

unstable eddies determine the pole to equator temperature difference, and the nonlinear equilibration of baroclinic

instability and the contribution of such instabilities to global heat transport. He has also been developing a new

approach to air-sea interaction in the tropics, and is actively involved in parameterizing the role of cumulus

convection in heating and drying the atmosphere. He has developed models for the Earth's climate with specific

concern for the stability of the ice caps, the sensitivity to increases in CO2, the origin of the 100,000 year cycle

in glaciation, and the maintenance of regional variations in climate. In cooperation with colleagues and students,

he is developing a sophisticated, but computationally simple, climate model to test whether the proper treatment of

cumulus convection will significantly reduce climate sensitivity to the increase of greenhouse gases. Prof. Lindzen

is a recipient of the AMS's Meisinger, and Charney Awards, and AGU's Macelwane Medal. He is a corresponding member

of the NAS Committee on Human Rights, a member of the NRC Board on Atmospheric Sciences and Climate, and a Fellow of

the AAAS1. He is a consultant to the Global Modeling and Simulation Group at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center,

and a Distinguished Visiting Scientist at California Institute of Technology's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. (Ph.D.,

'64, S.M., '61, A.B., '60, Harvard University)

An MIT meteorologist Wednesday dismissed alarmist fears about

human induced global warming as nothing more than 'religious beliefs.'

"Do you believe in global warming? That

is a religious question. So is the second part: Are you a skeptic or a believer?" said Massachusetts Institute of

Technology professor Richard Lindzen, in a speech to about 100 people at the National Press Club in Washington, D.C.

"Essentially if whatever you are told is alleged to be supported by 'all scientists,' you don't have to

understand [the issue] anymore. You simply go back to treating it as a matter of religious belief," Lindzen said.

His speech was titled, "Climate Alarmism: The Misuse of 'Science'" and was sponsored by the free market George C.

Marshall Institute. Lindzen is a professor at MIT's Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences.

Once a person becomes a believer of global warming, "you never have to defend this belief except to claim that you

are supported by all scientists -- except for a handful of corrupted heretics," Lindzen added.
    According to

Lindzen, climate "alarmists" have been trying to push the idea that there is scientific consensus on dire climate

change.
    "With respect to science, the assumption behind the [alarmist] consensus is science is the source of

authority and that authority increases with the number of scientists [who agree.] But science is not primarily a

source of authority. It is a particularly effective approach of inquiry and analysis. Skepticism is essential to

science -- consensus is foreign," Lindzen said. Alarmist predictions of more hurricanes, the catastrophic rise in

sea levels, the melting of the global poles and even the plunge into another ice age are not scientifically

supported, Lindzen said.
    "It leads to a situation where advocates want us to be afraid, when there is no basis for

alarm. In response to the fear, they want us to do what they want," Lindzen said.
    Recent reports of a melting

polar ice cap were dismissed by Lindzen as an example of the media taking advantage of the public's "scientific

illiteracy."
    "The thing you have to remember about the Arctic is that it is an extremely variable part of the

world," Lindzen said. "Although there is melting going [on] now, there has been a lot of melting that went on in the

[19]30s and then there was freezing. So by isolating a section ... they are essentially taking people's ignorance

of the past," he added.

Default IPCC report criticized by one of its lead authors

IPCC report criticized by one of its lead

authors

Politics, not science, drives

the United Nations' work on climate change, warns Dr. Richard Lindzen, one of the world's leading atmospheric

physicists

Written By: Paul Georgia
    Published In: Environment News
    Publication Date: June 1,

Publisher: The Heartland

Institute

The

Third Assessment Report (TAR) of the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), expected to

be released sometime in 2001, is already coming under heavy criticism from various directions. But none has been

more devastating than the one delivered on March 1 by one of the report's lead authors.

Dr. Richard S. Lindzen, the Alfred P. Sloan

professor of meteorology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and one of the world's leading atmospheric

scientists, told a standing-room only audience at a briefing sponsored by the Cooler Heads Coalition in the U.S.

Senate Environment Committee Room, that the IPCC process is driven by politics rather than science.

What are some of the problems with the IPCC

process, according to Lindzen? It uses summaries to misrepresent what scientists say. It uses language that means

different things to scientists and laymen. It exploits public ignorance over quantitative matters. It exploits what

scientists can agree on, while ignoring disagreements, to support the global warming agenda. And it exaggerates

scientific accuracy and certainty and the authority of undistinguished scientists.

No consensus here

The "most egregious" problem with the

IPCC's forthcoming report, said Lindzen, "is that it is presented as a consensus that involves hundreds, perhaps

thousands, of scientists . . . and none of them was asked if they agreed with anything in the report except for the

one or two pages they worked on."

Indeed,

most press accounts covering the January release of the TAR's "Summary for Policymakers" characterized the report

as the work of 2,000 (3,000 in some instances) of the world's leading climate scientists. IPCC's emphasis,

however, isn't on getting qualified scientists, but on getting representatives from over 100 countries, said

Lindzen. The truth is only a handful of countries do quality climate research. Most of the so-called experts served

merely to pad the numbers.

"It is no small

matter," said Lindzen, "that routine weather service functionaries from New Zealand to Tanzania are referred to as

'the world's leading climate scientists.' It should come as no surprise that they will be determinedly supportive

of the process."

The IPCC clearly uses the

Summary for Policymakers to misrepresent what is in the report, said Lindzen. He gave an example from the chapter he

worked on, chapter 7, addressing physical processes.

The 35-page chapter, said Lindzen, pointed out many problems with the way climate computer models

treat specific physical processes, such as water vapor, clouds, ocean currents, and so on. Clouds and water vapor in

clouds, for example, are badly misrepresented in the models. The physics are all wrong, he said. Those things the

models do well are irrelevant to the all-important feedback effects.

"The treatment of water vapor in clouds is

crucial to models producing a lot of warming," explained Lindzen. "Without them [positive feedbacks], no model would

produce much warming."

The IPCC summarizes

the 35-page chapter in one sentence: "Understanding of climate processes and their incorporation in climate models

have improved, including water vapor, sea dynamics and ocean heat transport."

That, said Lindzen, does not summarize the

chapter at all. "That is why a lot of us have said that the document itself is informative; the summary is not."

Lindzen briefly discussed a paper he

published in the March 2001 issue of the Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, clarifying the water vapor

feedback issue. Using detailed daily measurements, Lindzen and his coauthors from NASA showed that cloud cover in

the tropics diminishes as temperatures rise, cooling the planet by allowing more heat to escape.

"The effect observed," said Lindzen, "is

sufficient such that if current models are absolutely correct, except for missing this, models that predict between

1.5 and 4.5 degrees warming go down to about .4 to 1.2 degrees warming."

Not the way science is done

The IPCC claims its report is

peer-reviewed, which simply isn't true, Lindzen said. Under true peer-review, he explained, a panel of reviewers

must accept a study before it can be published in a scientific journal. If the reviewers have objections, the author

must answer them or change the article to take reviewers' objections into account.

Under the IPCC review process, by contrast,

the authors are at liberty to ignore criticisms. After having his review comments ignored by the IPCC in 1990 and

1995, Lindzen asked to have his name removed from the list of reviewers. The group refused.

The IPCC has resorted to using

scenario-building in its policymakers' summary to paint a frightening picture not supported by the science, Lindzen

charged. Ignoring the science allows the IPCC to build a scenario, for example, that assumes man will burn 300

years' worth of coal in 100 years. They plug that into the most sensitive climate model available and arrive at a

truly frightening global warming scenario.

"People wouldn't normally take that very seriously," said Lindzen, "but I think the IPCC

understands the media will report the top number. I don't think, any longer, that this is unintentional."

The IPCC also exploits what scientists do

agree on to support its agenda, according to Lindzen. For example, Lindzen said, scientists can more-or-less live

with the idea conveyed in the IPCC report that everything is connected to everything else, and everything is

uncertain.

Lindzen himself doesn't think

these ideas are particularly reasonable. But politicians and environmentalists take this minimal area of agreement,

and then claim that anything can cause anything and we must act to stop it.

Scientists agree, for example, that

atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases have increased over the last 100 years. They also generally agree the

climate has warmed slightly. Uncertainties remain, however, regarding even those basic propositions. Contrary to the

impression given by the IPCC, there is no widespread agreement on what these two "facts" mean for mankind. Yet they

are deemed by the IPCC sufficient to justify precipitous action.

Fun with numbers

Perhaps Lindzen's most devastating critique is aimed at the IPCC's use of statistics.

The IPCC's infamous hockey stick graph,

for example, shows global temperatures have been stable or falling over the last 1,000 years, and that only in the

industrial age has there been an unnatural warming of the planet. But if you look at the margin of error in that

graph, "You can no longer maintain that statement," said Lindzen.

Lindzen also noted the margin of error used

in the IPCC report is much smaller, a 60 percent confidence level, than traditionally used by scientists, who

generally report results at the 95 or even 99 percent confidence level. The IPCC is thus publicizing results much

less likely to be correct than scientific research is generally expected to be.

To illustrate his point, Lindzen showed

estimates of some of the most precise numbers in physics with their error bars. He showed different measurements of

the speed of light, for instance, from 1929 to the 1980s. The error bars for the estimated speed of light in 1932

and 1940 do not even include the value we think is the correct speed of light today. "Error bars should not be taken

lightly," warned Lindzen. "There is genuine uncertainty in them."

Incentives matter

"Scientists are human beings," Lindzen concluded, "subject to normal instincts and weaknesses."

They respond to incentives just like everyone else. "Current government funding creates incentives to behave poorly

by maintaining the relevance of the subject," he said, noting that on some issues financial support for science

depends on "alarming the world."

Indeed,

Lindzen noted, Mario Molina and Sherwood Rowland were awarded the 1995 Nobel Prize in chemistry for their work on

ozone depletion--not for alerting the world, but for "alarming" it. "You don't want scientists to get hooked on

this as the key to fame and glory," he warned.

There's little doubt, Lindzen said, that the IPCC process has become politicized to the point of

uselessness. He advised U.S. policymakers simply to ignore it.

Default Letter from Frederick Seitz

Dr.

Frederick Seitz was born in San Francisco on July 4, 1911.

Education:
    1932 Bachelor's degree from Stanford

University (mathematics)
    1934 Ph.D. from Princeton University (physics)
    Former Postions:
    1946-1947 director of

the training program on peaceful uses of atomic energy at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)
    1949-1968 professor

of physics at the University of Illinois
    1957-1964 department head at the University of Illinois
    1964-1965

Graduate College dean at the University of Illinois
    1962-1969 president of the National Academy of Sciences

1968-1978 president of Rockefeller University
    Frederick Seitz was one of the scientists that signed in 1995 the

Leipzig Declaration on Global Climate Change.
    Current Positions:
    chairman of Science and Environmental Policy

Project (SEPP)
    member of the Risk Policy Center [1]

(http://www.oism.org/ddp/ddpnews/ddpmar01.htm)
    Council

member of the Environmental Literacy Council
    member of the National Advisory Board of Accuracy in Media

of the Board of Directors and Chairman Emeritus of the George C. Marshall Institute
    President Emeritus of

Rockefeller University
    Books
    Frederick Seitz ,"Modern Theory of Solids", McGraw-Hill, NY, 1940, (reprint Dover

Publications, 1987: ISBN 0486654826)
    W. Thüne, F. Singer, F. Seitz, Helmut Metzner, "Treibhaus-Kontroverse und

Ozon-Problem : Symposium der Europäischen Akademie für Umweltfragen Leipzig 9.-10. November 1995", Böttiger, 1996,

ISBN 3925725296
    S. Fred Singer, Frederick Seitz , "Hot Talk Cold Science: Global Warming's Unfinished Debate",

The Independent Institute, December 1, 1998, ISBN 094599978X

Letter from Frederick Seitz

Research

Review of Global Warming Evidence
    Below is an eight page review of information on the subject of "global warming,"

and a petition in the form of a reply card. Please consider these materials carefully.
    The United States is very

close to adopting an international agreement that would ration the use of energy and of technologies that depend

upon coal, oil, and natural gas and some other organic compounds.
    This treaty is, in our opinion, based upon

flawed ideas. Research data on climate change do not show that human use of hydrocarbons is harmful. To the

contrary, there is good evidence that increased atmospheric carbon dioxide is environmentally helpful.
    The proposed

agreement would have very negative effects upon the technology of nations throughout the world, especially those

that are currently attempting to lift from poverty and provide opportunities to the over 4 billion people in

technologically underdeveloped countries.
    It is especially important for America to hear from its citizens who

have the training necessary to evaluate the relevant data and offer sound advice.
    We urge you to sign and return

the petition card. If you would like more cards for use by your colleagues, these will be sent.
    Frederick

Seitz

Past President, National Academy of Sciences, U.S.A.

President Emeritus, Rockefeller

University

*The above is a letter included in a petition drive. The greater than 17,000 signers one and all

are scientists. A number greater than 60% were holders of a Ph.D

November 18, 1998

Letter

to International Herald Tribune

It is regrettable that ecologist George Woodwell and energy policy specialist

John Holdren ("Climate-Change Skeptics Are Wrong, IHT , Nov. 14-15) find it necessary to use vituperative language

in their attempt to downplay the existence of widespread scientific dissent to the activist view of global warming.

They were commenting on an article by columnist Jeff Jacoby ("The 'Chicken Little' Mindset, IHT, Nov. 7), which

mentioned prominent scientists who oppose the Kyoto climate accord.

Both the 1996 Leipzig Declaration and the

1998 Oregon Petition (signed by over 17,000 scientists, two-thirds with advanced degrees) are subscribed to by

well-recognized experts, including members of the National Academy of Sciences and scientist-participants in the

UN-sponsored climate reports. The names of all of the signers of the Oregon Petition were rechecked and verified. As

for the Leipzig Declaration, perhaps Woodwell and Holdren are confusing it with a 1997 pro-global warming petition

circulated by a Green group called Ozone Action; the OA petition was indeed found to have been signed by numerous

non-scientists. Signatories to the Leipzig Declaration, and their impressive credentials, are posted on the Internet

at www.sepp.org. Each of those listed requested in writing that their name be

added.

More to the point, Woodwell and Holdren seem unaware that the observed temperatures, as recorded by

instruments on satellites and on weather balloons, show no discernible warming trend in the past two decades, which

strongly conflicts with the results of computer climate models. Based on the available evidence from actual

observations, most scientists would extrapolate at most a slight warming by the year 2100, which would barely be

detectable and most certainly inconsequential.

In contrast, the framers of the infamous Kyoto Protocol posit a

catastrophic climate "disruption", and then put forth a strategy that, even if stringently enforced, would reduce

their forecast warming by just 0.05 degrees. For this minute amount, the United States would have to cut its energy

use by about 35 percent within a decade, at a huge economic cost.

No serious scientist would endorse such a

plan, and more than 17,000 of them -- hardly a "handful" -- have said so, for the record.

Dr. Frederick Seitz,

Tel: (212)327-8423
    Dr. S. Fred Singer, Tel: (703) 934-6940

Dr. Frederick Seitz and Dr. S. Fred Singer serve

as chairman and president, respectively, of The Science & Environmental Policy Project, a non-partisan, non-profit

organization of scientists. Dr. Seitz is a former president of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and of the

American Physical Society, and president emeritus of the Rockefeller University. He is recipient of the National

Medal of Science. Dr. Singer, an atmospheric physicist, received a White House commendation for his pioneering work

on instrumented satellites. He is a former director of the U.S. Weather Satellite Service and devised the satellite

instrumentation for measuring stratospheric ozone.

S. Fred Singer, Ph.D.

President, SEPP

Expertise:

Global climate change and the greenhouse effect, depletion of the stratospheric ozone layer, acid rain, air

pollution, importance and future of the U.S. space program, energy resources and U.S. energy policy.
    S. Fred

Singer is internationally known for his work on energy and environmental issues. A pioneer in the development of

rocket and satellite technology, he devised the basic instrument for measuring stratospheric ozone and was principal

investigator on a satellite experiment retrieved by the space shuttle in 1990. He was the first scientist to predict

that population growth would increase atmospheric methane--an important greenhouse gas.
    Now President of The

Science & Environmental Policy Project, a non-profit policy research group he founded in 1990, Singer is also

Distinguished Research Professor at George Mason University and professor emeritus of environmental science at the

University of Virginia. His previous government and academic positions include Chief Scientist, U.S. Department of

Transportation (1987- 89); Deputy Assistant Administrator for Policy, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

(1970-71); Deputy Assistant Secretary for Water Quality and Research, U.S. Department of the Interior (1967- 70);

founding Dean of the School of Environmental and Planetary Sciences, University of Miami (1964-67); first Director

of the National Weather Satellite Service (1962-64); and Director of the Center for Atmospheric and Space Physics,

University of Maryland (1953-62).
    Singer has received numerous awards for his research, including a Special

Commendation from the White House for achievements in artificial earth satellites, a U.S. Department of Commerce

Gold Medal Award for the development and management of the U.S. weather satellite program, and the first Science

Medal from the British Interplanetary Society. He has served on state and federal advisory panels, including five

years as vice chairman of the National Advisory Committee on Oceans and Atmospheres. He frequently testifies before

Congress.
    Singer did his undergraduate work in electrical engineering at Ohio State University and holds a Ph.D. in

physics from Princeton University. He is the author or editor of more than a dozen books and monographs, including

Is There an Optimum Level of Population? (McGraw-Hill, 1971), Free Market Energy (Universe Books, 1984), and Global

Climate Change (Paragon House, 1989). Singer has also published more than 400 technical papers in scientific,

economic, and public policy journals, as well as numerous editorial essays and articles in The Wall Street Journal,

New York Times, New Republic, Newsweek, Journal of Commerce, Washington Times, Washington Post, and other

publications. His latest book, Hot Talk, Cold Science: Global Warming's Unfinished Debate, was published in late

1997 through the Independent Institute.

Dr. S. Fred Singer (singer@sepp.org)

Science & Environmental

Policy Project

1600 South Eads Street, Suite #712-S

Arlington, VA 22202-2907

Tel/Fax 703-920-2744

Please forgive my indignation.

I rarely have commented on this thread but have fed Belgareth much of the information he has tried to share with

you. While Belgareth is a highly intelligent and well educated man, he does not work in the sciences as I do.

Further information has been gleened from a wide variety of scientific sources. We have tried to share knowledge and

information in a form we felt reasonably understandable. Others have used many ploys of misdirection to present us

and the facts not as they are. We, Belgareth, our frends, fellow scientists and me are concerned. To any with an

open mind those concerns are apparent and reasonable, to those who are fanatics and wish to remain ignorant no

amount of fact will dissuade them. You may decide for yourself which is which. All any true scientist with a true

concern for the well being of our planet can do is present fact and seek knowledge in which to make proper

decisions. To be herded by those frauds who push us to precipitous and inappropriate action is to be a fool. I ask

all of you to consider why such important data is not brought to the attention of the public by the news services. A

brief search of no more than ten minutes provided all the above and far more. Each's credentials are shown to

demonstrate that they are unimpeachable. There are many, many more of such high credentials. I invite all with an

open mind to find them for themselves.

Default Global Warming: Watson Indulges in Scare Tactics... Again

Predicting an 11°F

temperature rise in 100 years, the IPCC's new Policymakers Summary is the product of the most extreme climate model

run under the most extreme set of future emission scenarios

Global

Warming: Watson Indulges in Scare Tactics... Again

By Patrick J.

Michaels Ph.D. (January 2001)

[OBJECTIVE SCIENCE.COM] In early

January, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) stepped up its campaign to coerce regulatory action

from the United States by releasing the Summary for Policymakers from the IPCC's Third Assessment Report (TAR).

Word from the IPCC meeting in Shanghai is that the upper range of

temperature rise during the next 100 years is nearly 11°F. "This adds impetus for governments of the world to find

ways to live up to their commitments . . . to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases," Robert Watson, chairman of the

IPCC and former Clinton science advisor, is quoted as saying.

Mind

you, Watson is the same scientist who, in 1992, predicted an imminent ozone hole in the Northern Hemisphere. You

remember the event; then-Senator and soon-to-be Vice President Gore called it "an ozone hole over Kennebunkport"

(former-President George Bush's summer compound). Watson's (and Gore's) purpose was to stampede the U.S. Senate

into a mandate that would reduce chlorofluorocarbon refrigerants. They succeeded, even though the ozone hole never

appeared.

This is Watson's second go at buffaloing a Bush

Administration. Big Media's eagerness to go along is breathtaking. The January 23 edition of The Washington Post

put this particular global warming story above the fold on its front page! The play could have been bigger only were

it in the upper left-hand corner rather than the right.

A model of a model

Neither the Post nor Watson mentions that this forecast of extreme

warming is the result of a computer model. And not just any model, either. It is a product of the most extreme

climate model run under the most extreme set of future emission scenarios. In other words, it's not a model based

upon present trends; it's a model of a model! Putting a fine point on it, this particular result was produced by

one (that's right, one) of 245 models the modelers ran.

In the

backrooms at science meetings, the technique Watson and the IPCC have used in this instance is derided as a "toy

model." This is because it treats the world largely as a uniform entity, one devoid of ocean currents, without

mountains, and with no thunderstorms. Ocean currents, mountains, and thunderstorms just happen to be the three

things that are the major movers of heat around our planet. They generally keep the Earth's surface temperature

cooler than it otherwise would be.

It's not that there weren't

other computer models available. There are. There were nearly 20 different sophisticated, but still flawed, models

tested in the IPCC's TAR called general circulation climate models (GCMs). If Watson were forthcoming, he would

have pointed out that the average for those models was a rise of only about 3.8°F--or some 2.75 times less than the

extreme value Watson and the Post trumpet.

Trouble with models

Even so, those models assume an increased rate in greenhouse gases

that has been acknowledged to be much larger than it has been for decades. So even those results are probable

overestimates.

Both the "toy models" and the GCMs have been

artificially "cooled" with sulfate aerosols for 10 years now to account for the fact they predict too much warming.

Admittedly, that's a mis-statement of what the modeling community is doing. Instead, the amount of warming

radiation reaching Earth's surface is "dialed down." There's no sulfate aerosol, per se, in the model. Instead,

the amount of heating potential is reduced because that's the only way to slam the square peg of model predictions

into the round hole of observed temperatures.

Why is that happening,

you reasonably ask? There was such a clamor about the models that include only greenhouse gas increases and their

inability to accurately simulate the climate as we know it to have been over the last 100 years (they warmed things

up much too quickly) that the modelers added another factor, sulfate aerosols, in order to offset a large amount of

the CO2-induced warming. The IPCC itself admitted this fact in its Second Assessment report

(1996).

In that report, the IPCC stated, "When increases in

greenhouse gases only are taken into account . . . most [climate models] produce a greater mean warming than has

been observed to date, unless a lower climate sensitivity [to the greenhouse effect] is used. . . . There is growing

evidence that increases in sulfate aerosols are partially counteracting the [warming] due to increases in greenhouse

gases."

The "toy model" the Post and Watson rushed to report upon has

an unrealistic value of 11°F because in it the sulfate aerosols have been removed. That's right: What previously

was used to "fix" the computer models now has been taken out. The result? The previously acknowledged, unrealistic

warming rate is baaack.

Actually, according to the IPCC, the

influence of sulfate aerosols--both direct and indirect--on Earth's temperature is the most uncertain of the

factors considered. Their net global effect on surface temperature (according to the IPCC) is about twice the total

observed change in temperature for the last hundred years! Why so much uncertainty? Their net cooling (or warming)

of global surface temperature has never been measured. This gives rise to a huge uncertainty, through which a

careful manipulation of numbers at the extreme ranges of the uncertainty can produce a large warming. This is

precisely the exercise the IPCC has carried out in this report, and Watson's emphasis of this result is a scare

tactic, pure and simple.

Blaming the U.S.

But Watson doesn't stop there. He accuses the United States of being primarily responsible for an impending

climate catastrophe. "The United States is way off meeting its [emissions] targets [agreed to under the Kyoto

Protocol]. A country like China has done more, in my opinion, than a country like the United States to move forward

in economic development while remaining environmentally sensitive," he said.

While it is true that the U.S. is the world's biggest emitter of greenhouse gases, our economy is among

the most energy-efficient in terms of output. We produce more goods and services per unit of greenhouse gas emission

than all but a very few countries. Brazil and France come to mind. Brazil relies on hydroelectric energy and France,

nuclear fission.

Hydroelectric dams and nuclear power plants are even

less eco-friendly than the fossil-fuel-fired power plants we rely upon. Even so, our efficiency continues to

increase. If the rest of the world achieved similar energy efficiency, global greenhouse gas emissions would be

about 20 percent less than they are.

But for Watson and the IPCC,

desperate times require desperate measures. Negotiations at The Hague, which sought to bind countries to the Kyoto

Protocol's emission targets, largely failed. The U.S. insisted that its carbon sinks--forests and crops--be

credited against its carbon emissions. European Greens replied, "No go." So no go it was.

Kyoto is

dead

Without U.S.

involvement, Kyoto not only is as good as dead, it's meaningless. Even if everyone, including the U.S.,

participates, the Kyoto targets will reduce global temperatures only by an undetectable 0.13°F by the year 2050

(according to Tom Wiley of the U.S. Center for Atmospheric Research).

Perhaps Watson felt he had to make the most dramatic case possible to bully a new President who is less

receptive to his pitch than were Clinton and Gore. Rather than succumb to "science by press release and executive

summary," a better starting point for the new Administration is a reassessment of the science used to produce the

IPCC TAR and (for that matter) the recent, equally nonsensical U.S. National Assessment of global

warming.

We can only pray that the time ahead for spreaders of

climate hysteria become more desperate indeed.

According to Nature

magazine, University of Virginia environmental sciences professor Patrick J. Michaels is probably the nation's most

popular lecturer on the subject of climate change. Michaels is coauthor of The Satanic Gases: Clearing the Air About

Global Warming.

Made

available through the Heartland Institute's Environment & Climate News. Copyright 2001 Heartland.org. All rights

reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by wood elf
    Please forgive my

indignation. I rarely have commented on this thread but have fed Belgareth much of the information he has tried to

share with you. While Belgareth is a highly intelligent and well educated man, he does not work in the sciences as I

do. Further information has been gleened from a wide variety of scientific sources. We have tried to share knowledge

and information in a form we felt reasonably understandable. Others have used many ploys of misdirection to present

us and the facts not as they are. We, Belgareth, our frends, fellow scientists and me are concerned. To any with an

open mind those concerns are apparent and reasonable, to those who are fanatics and wish to remain ignorant no

amount of fact will dissuade them. You may decide for yourself which is which. All any true scientist with a true

concern for the well being of our planet can do is present fact and seek knowledge in which to make proper

decisions. To be herded by those frauds who push us to precipitous and inappropriate action is to be a fool. I ask

all of you to consider why such important data is not brought to the attention of the public by the news services. A

brief search of no more than ten minutes provided all the above and far more. Each's credentials are shown to

demonstrate that they are unimpeachable.
    I guess it’s all a mater of perspective. In some

circles, working for public policy organizations that receive money from the oil industries is considered quite

impeachable.
    Fred Singer is on the Editorial Advisory Board of The Cato Institute ($55,000 from

ExxonMobil in 2002-2003), Adjunct Scholar for the National Center for Policy Analysis ($105,000 from ExxonMobil in

2002-2003), Adjunct Fellow for Frontiers of Freedom )$282,000 from ExxonMobil in 2002-2003), Advisory Board Member

(2002) for the American Council on Science and Health ($282,000 from ExxonMobil in

2002-2003).
    [url]http://www.environmentaldefense.org/article.cfm?contentid=3804&CFID=21084385&CFTOKEN=2 9888831[/u

rl]
    He was also on a tobacco industry list of people who could write op-ed pieces on "junk science," defending

the industry's views.
    http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/full/91/11/1745#R39
    And his organization,

Science and Environmental Policy Project (SEPP), is on the Union of Concerned Scientists “watch list” for, among

other things, being “directly tied to ultra right-wing mogul Reverend Sung Myung Moon s Unification Church,

including receipt of a year s free office space from a Moon-funded group and the participation of SEPP s director in

church-sponsored conferences and on the board of a Moon-funded

magazine.”
    http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming...nizations.html

Richard Lindzen is a Member of Science and Economic Advisory Council of The Annapolis Center for Science-Based

Public Policy ($27,500 from ExxonMobil Corporate Giving in 2003), Contributing Writer for The Cato Institute

($25,000 from ExxonMobil Foundation in 2003), and Contributing Writer for Techcentralstation.com ($95,000 from

ExxonMobil Foundation in 2003)

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/...TOKEN=29888831
    As

far as credentials go, he is probably the most distinguished scientist in the contrarian camp and he often figures

quite prominently in all their work. But he’s a rather eccentric figure to say the least. Here’s the transcript of a

sixty minutes face off between Lindzen and a working climate scientist (Lonnie Thompson). Note which side appeals to

the facts and which side resorts to insults and broad categorizations:

http://sixtyminutes.ninemsn.com.au/s...story_1498.asp
    Lindzen says

that the IPCC failed to remove his name from a chapter in the 2nd Assessment Report, then — six year later, while

working with the National Academy of Sciences — he adds his signature to an NAS endorsement of the IPCC’s 3rd

Assessment Report. Several months later he goes public with criticisms of the report’s summary.

http://www.chriscmooney.com/archives...4&end=3/7/2004

With regards to the Leipzig

Declaration...
    “When journalist David Olinger of the St. Petersburg Times investigated the Leipzig

Declaration, however, he discovered that most of its signers have not dealt with climate issues at all and none of

them is an acknowledged leading expert. Twenty-five of the signers were TV weathermen - a profession that requires

no in-depth knowledge of climate research. Some did not even have a college degree, such as Dick Groeber of Dick's

Weather Service in Springfield, Ohio. Did Groeber regard himself as a scientist? "I sort of consider myself so," he

said when asked. "I had two or three years of college training in the scientific area, and 30 or 40 years of

self-study." Other signers included a dentist, a medical laboratory researcher, a civil engineer, and an amateur

meteorologist. Some were not even found to reside at the addresses they had given.
    A journalist with the Danish

Broadcasting Company attempted to contact the declaration's 33 European signers and found that four of them could

not be located, 12 denied ever having signed, and some had not even heard of the Leipzig Declaration. Those who did

admit signing included a medical doctor, a nuclear scientist, and an expert on flying insects. After discounting the

signers whose credentials were inflated, irrelevant, false, or unverifiable, it turned out that only 20 of the names

on the list had any scientific connection with the study of climate change, and some of those names were known to

have obtained grants from the oil and fuel industry, including the German coal industry and the government of Kuwait

(a major oil exporter).”

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...Climate_Change

I

saved the best (or at least the funniest) for last...
    The Oregon Petition was sponsored by The Oregon

Institute of Science and Medicine (OISM) which “is headed by Arthur B. Robinson, an eccentric scientist who has a

long history of controversial entanglements with figures on the fringe of accepted research. OISM also markets a

home-schooling kit for "parents concerned about socialism in the public schools" and publishes books on how to

survive nuclear war...”
    “The OISM website says it has "six faculty members, several volunteers who work

actively on its projects, and a large number of volunteers who help occasionally." The only paid staff person,

however, is biochemist Arthur Robinson, the Institute's founder and president. None of its other "faculty members"

actually work at the Institute on a regular basis. "They come up on occasion to do some work with us," Robinson told

an interviewer in 1998...”
    “The Oregon Petition, sponsored by the OISM, was circulated in April 1998 in

a bulk mailing to tens of thousands of U.S. scientists. In addition to the petition, the mailing included what

appeared to be a reprint of a scientific paper. Authored by OISM's Arthur B. Robinson, Sallie L. Baliunas, Willie

Soon, and Zachary W. Robinson, the paper was titled "Environmental Effects of Increased Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide"

and was printed in the same typeface and format as the official Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

Also included was a reprint of a December 1997, Wall Street Journal editorial, "Science Has Spoken: Global Warming

Is a Myth, by Arthur and Zachary Robinson. A cover note signed "Frederick Seitz/Past President, National Academy of

Sciences, U.S.A./President Emeritus, Rockefeller University", may have given some persons the impression that

Robinson's paper was an official publication of the academy's peer-reviewed journal. The blatant editorializing in

the pseudopaper, however, was uncharacteristic of scientific papers.”
    “Robinson's paper claimed to show

that pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere is actually a good thing. "As atmospheric CO2 increases," it stated,

"plant growth rates increase. Also, leaves lose less water as CO2 increases, so that plants are able to grow under

drier conditions. Animal life, which depends upon plant life for food, increases proportionally." As a result,

Robinson concluded, industrial activities can be counted on to encourage greater species biodiversity and a greener

planet...
    “None of the coauthors of "Environmental Effects of Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide" had any more

standing than Robinson himself as a climate change researcher. They included Robinson's 22-year-old son, Zachary

(home-schooled by his dad), along with astrophysicists Sallie L. Baliunas and Willie Soon. Both Baliunas and Soon

worked with Frederick Seitz at the George C. Marshall Institute, a Washington, D.C., think tank where Seitz served

as executive director. Funded by a number of right-wing foundations, including Scaife and Bradley, the George C.

Marshall Institute does not conduct any original research. It is a conservative think tank that was initially

founded during the years of the Reagan administration to advocate funding for Reagan's Strategic Defense

Initiative--the "Star Wars" weapons program...”
    “The NAS issued an unusually blunt formal response to the

petition drive. "The NAS Council would like to make it clear that this petition has nothing to do with the National

Academy of Sciences and that the manuscript was not published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences

or in any other peer-reviewed journal," it stated in a news release. "The petition does not reflect the conclusions

of expert reports of the Academy." In fact, it pointed out, its own prior published study had shown that "even given

the considerable uncertainties in our knowledge of the relevant phenomena, greenhouse warming poses a potential

threat sufficient to merit prompt responses. Investment in mitigation measures acts as insurance protection against

the great uncertainties and the possibility of dramatic surprises..."
    “Notwithstanding this rebuke, the

Oregon Petition managed to garner 15,000 signatures within a month's time..."
    “Nebraska senator Chuck

Hagel called it an "extraordinary response" and cited it as his basis for continuing to oppose a global warming

treaty. "Nearly all of these 15,000 scientists have technical training suitable for evaluating climate research

data," Hagel said. Columns citing the Seitz petition and the Robinson paper as credible sources of scientific

expertise on the global warming issue have appeared in publications ranging from Newsday', the Los Angeles Times

and Washington Post to the Austin-American Statesman, Denver Post, and Wyoming Tribune-Eagle.”
    “In addition

to the bulk mailing, OISM's website enables people to add their names to the petition over the Internet, and by

June 2000 it claimed to have recruited more than 19,000 scientists. The institute is so lax about screening names,

however, that virtually anyone can sign, including for example Al Caruba, a pesticide-industry PR man and

conservative ideologue who runs his own website called the "National Anxiety Center." Caruba has no scientific

credentials whatsoever, but in addition to signing the Oregon Petition he has editorialized on his own website

against the science of global warming, calling it the "biggest hoax of the decade," a "genocidal" campaign by

environmentalists who believe that "humanity must be destroyed to 'Save the Earth.' . . .”
    “The names

of the signers are available on the OISM's website, but without listing any institutional affiliations or even city

of residence, making it very difficult to determine their credentials or even whether they exist at all. When the

Oregon Petition first circulated, in fact, environmental activists successfully added the names of several fictional

characters and celebrities to the list, including John Grisham, Michael J. Fox, Drs. Frank Burns, B. J. Honeycutt,

and Benjamin Pierce (from the TV show M*A*S*H), an individual by the name of "Dr. Red Wine," and Geraldine

Halliwell, formerly known as pop singer Ginger Spice of the Spice Girls. Halliwell's field of scientific

specialization was listed as "biology." Even in 2003, the list was loaded with misspellings, duplications, name and

title fragments, and names of non-persons, such as company

names...”
    http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php...e_and_Medicine

r
    But enough with the jokes. Lets take a break from this battle of whose sources are more impeachable than the

other’s and examine the argument itself.
    Let me begin by stating the obvious: Belgareth and Wood Elf are

promoting a political position. The probability that they may genuinely hate politics and political intrusions into

scientific research doesn’t change this fact.
    Statements such as “ the science and solutions presented are

not a comprehensive and reliable addressing of the issue.” are directed against the movement to reduce fossil fuel

emissions.
    Even more so with statements such as, “ History, most especially recent history, is replete with

examples of lies and misrepresentation used to manipulate public opinion to achieve some goal. Most often those were

not worthy goals. Defending the environment is a worthy goal and is able to stand on its own merit. It will not be

accomplished through lies, deception or manipulation of scientific fact. It will not be accomplished through

coercive laws. It can be done by making it worthwhile to people to do so. The people have been lied to so often that

we find it hard to accept anything stated any longer. To make progress today we must stop the lies, present the

truth and prove it. Then we must offer acceptable alternatives. Anything less is destined to fail.”
    Whether or

not there is merit to these statements... Whether or not they are pertinent... Is another question. But let’s not

pretend that Belgareth and Wood Elf are politically neutral. They have a position and they are using this thread to

promote it.
    Nothing wrong with that, IMO. I am trying to promote a political position myself. And I think

political debate is essential for democracy to function.
    The problem arises when people try to promote their

political opinions behind a shroud of scientific objectivity.
    So let’s examine Belgareth and Wood Elf’s

position as an argument against the reduction of fossil fuel emissions and see how well it holds up.

First of all, it takes absolutely no scientific knowledge to see that theirs is not a reassuring argument. Up until

the introduction of the Oregon Petition, they hadn’t made a single statement indicating, or even implying, that

increased CO2 concentrations are safe and give us no cause for concern.
    Their implication is that the risks

and dangers have been blown out of proportion.
    How far out of proportion? Hard to say, because they haven’t

addressed the central question of CO2’s impact on climate change. Many scientists speak of the climate’s sensitivity

to CO2 concentrations and there is in fact uncertainty with regards to this figure. From the earliest experiments

model estimates have ranged from around 2 to 5°C for a doubling of emissions from pre-industrial levels.
    As

with most questions, the IPCC weighs in at the conservative end of the scale with a range of 1.5 to 4.5°. Belgareth

and Wood Elf have not weighed in at all.
    I’m assuming their position is that science doesn’t know enough to

make a determination. So let’s take a look at what it is that science doesn’t know.

Does science not

know the radiative forcing potential of CO2 molecules (the amount of energy it introduces into the environment)? No

comment.
    Does science not know the spectral absorption potential of CO2 ( the frequencies of longwave

radiation that CO2 absorbs as it is trying to leave the earth’s surface)? No comment.
    Does science not

know the atmospheric lifetime of CO2 (how long it will be with us once we introduce it into the atmosphere)? No

comment.
    Does science not know the concentrations of CO2 in our atmosphere? Belgareth has implied that

science does know this.
    Does science not know how much of recent increases in atmospheric CO2 concentrations

can be attributed to human cause? Belgareth has tried to argue that the figures given by CO2 theorists are wrong.

But his most direct argument — that volcanos introduce more CO2 into the atmosphere than humans ever could — is

misinformed. I’ve posted an article which uses two independent methods to demonstrate that virtually all of the

increase can be attributed to human agency.
    Does science not know all the countervailing factors that could

minimize the radiative forcing potential of CO2? Belgareth has implied that science at least knows about aerosols

and cloud cover. No comment on whether other countervailing factors could have been missed.
    Does science not

have adequate models for representing the climate’s sensitivity to CO2 concentrations? Belgareth’s argument is that

the models are inadequate. In his first post, he commented that some models have been 300% off. I never disputed

this. I merely questioned it. I gave two examples of models that were right on the mark. So far no examples of

models that were 300% off.
    Wood Elf has presented us with an article that seems to make a strong criticism of

present day climate modeling: “Both the "toy models" and the GCMs have been artificially "cooled" with sulfate

aerosols for 10 years now to account for the fact they predict too much warming. Admittedly, that's a mis-statement

of what the modeling community is doing. Instead, the amount of warming radiation reaching Earth's surface is

"dialed down." There's no sulfate aerosol, per se, in the model. Instead, the amount of heating potential is

reduced because that's the only way to slam the square peg of model predictions into the round hole of observed

temperatures.”
    It’s true that sulfate aerosols were introduced into models because projected temperatures

are too high without them. And it’s also true that there is great uncertainty with respect to these aerosols. In

fact, it’s hard finding two scientists that agree on what the range of this uncertainty is. But it’s not true that

“the amount of warming radiation” is simply “dialed down”.
    The more sophisticated models are based on satelite

data, demonstrate regional variations and inclde the effects of aerosols on cloud formation and reflectivity.

(Here is an excellent introduction to the science of aerosol modelling:

http://www.llnl.gov/str/April03/Chuang.html )

In a previous post I suggested that we

pursue the question of climate models further, because whether or not Belgareth and Wood Elf’s assertions are

correct they are at least pertinent. And, as this is the area of greatest uncertainty, it’s important to understand

what this uncertainty means with respect to emissions policy.
    So far there has been no reference to models

that have been used to substantiate a position that exceeded the model’s demonstrative intent. Models have been

judged on the basis of what Belgareth and Wood Elf think they should do = give a perfect picture of climate change

in all it’s aspects. Not on the basis of what they were designed to prove or demonstrate.
    Furthermore, there

has been no explanation of why there has never been a single model in which increased CO2 concentrations DO NOT

demonstrate an increase in temperatures.

Belgareth’s strongest argument IMO, with regards to what

science doesn’t know, is that science might not know — or be able to account for — factors that mitigate the climate

forcing effects of CO2. Two conclusions could be drawn from this point (if it bears out to be true). One conclusion

could be that it might not be as bad as we think. Another (equally valid) conclusion is that it might be worse.

As I said. Not a very reassuring argument.

But there is more. In fact I haven’t even touched on the

heart of Belgareth and Wood Elf’s argument.
    The bulk of this argument rests on the assertion that there are many

(hundreds according to Wood Elf) factors which COULD account for recent warming. But they are being ignored

(suppressed even) by the global warming consensus.
    Have there been models to demonstrate that these alternative

factors could account for recent warming? Not to my knowledge, and nobody has introduced any to this debate.

Has there been any demonstrated correlation between these factors and recent warming? If there has, Belgareth and

Wood Elf have kept it to themselves.

What it boils down to is... On the one hand, we are asked to

disregard demonstrated correlations between CO2 and global warming — correlations backed by physical theories —

because of uncertainties in the models. (Uncertainties not about the warming capacity of CO2 but about the cooling

capacity of other factors.) On the other hand we are asked to accept the possibility that other factors COULD

account for recent warming... If they were only given a chance to demonstrate themselves.

Is this a

convincing argument? Or is this a feeble rationalization for inaction in the face of grievous dangers?

I

know I’m not going to convince anybody one way or the other. So I’ve resigned myself to an intellectual exercise of

trying to evaluate the merit of every point that the “let’s do nothing crowd” tries to make, as it arises.

Newly discovered sources of methane seem to be the latest installment in this exercise.
    Wood Elf assures us

that the Max Plank institute is a reputable organization which would not allow faulty it’s researcher to engage in

faulty methodology.
    Here’s another opinion:

Comment on:
    Keppler et al., Methane emissions from

terrestrial plants under aerobic conditions, Nature 439, 187-191 (12 January 2006)

In the above citied letter

to Nature the authors concluded out of their experiments: "Here we demonstrate using stable carbon isotopes that

methane is readily formed in situ in terrestrial plants under oxic conditions by a hitherto unrecognized

process."
    Reading their paper it is easily seen that their conclusion is not convincing because their

experimental strategy lacks and fails some simple tests to exclude or include known biogenic sources of

methane.
    At that time common biologic knowledge is: Biogene methanogenesis is performed by archaea, (perhaps some

cyanobacteria, fungi and microalgae ) which can be divided into two groups:
    - H2/CO2- and
    -

acetate-consumers,
    ( both groups have proteins, carbohydrates or lipids an their derivatives as

source).

Like most organisms plants live ( on surface or interior) together with a lot of specialized

micoorganisms (bacteria, fungi) often supporting their metabolism. (e.g. mycorrhiza).To exclude their physiologic

possibilities as source of methane generation we have to block their metabolism. To exclude plant as biogenic source

of methane we also have to block their metabolism e.g. phytosynthesis.

1. Keppler et al. chose gamma ray

sterilization for blocking microbial methanogens. Some archaea are nearly unsensitive to high doses of gamma rays

and have the ability to fully regenerate their genome.1 Consequently the experiments showed no significant change of

results.

2. The authors omitted to use methyl fluoride as frequently used to specifically inhibit

acetoclastic methanogenesis.2 Adding actate has no influence because inside plant cell there is a sufficient

reservoir of sources to reduce to methane.

3. The authors omitted to incubate plants and parts of it in an

CO2 minimum atmosphere ( e.g. <0,01%) to reduce possible methanogenesis out of CO2 by plants and

archaea.

4.Question: Have the authors used intact plants with intact mycorrhiza or with effectively

sterilized soil for blocking soil bacteria or fungi?

5. Inside plants there are a lot of anaerobic

compartments for bacteria to live.

5. Pectin3 or lignin4 are common sources of methane by bacterial

methanogenesis.

My conclusion: experiments done by Keppler et al. gives no conclusion on a new methane

source. Possibility of thermophilic methanogensis by archaea is not excluded (see their results of temperature

sensitive methane emission).

Ernst-Georg Beck
    Merian-Schule Freiburg
    Germany
    Department of

Biotechnology and Nutrition Science

References:

1. e.g. E. Jolivet et al., Physiological Responses of

the Hyperthermophilic Archaeon "Pyrococcus abyssi" to DNA Damage Caused by Ionizing Radiation,
    Journal of

Bacteriology, July 2003, p. 3958-3961, Vol. 185, No. 13. (http://jb.asm.org/cgi/content/full/185/13/3958.

Accessed 2006 Jan 22.)

2. eg. Holger Penning et al. , Effect of Inhibition of Acetoclastic Methanogenesis on

Growth of Archaeal Populations in an Anoxic Model Environment ,
    Applied and Environmental Microbiology, January

2006, p. 178-184, Vol. 72, No. 1, (http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/72/1/178>. Accessed 2006 Jan

22.)

3. e.g. Bernard Ollivier et al., Thermophilic methanogenesis from pectin by a mixed defined bacterial

culture,
    Current Microbiology Publisher: Springer-Verlag New York ISSN: 0343-8651 (Paper) 1432-0991 (Online) DOI:

10.1007/BF02092877 Issue: Volume 20, Number

(http://www.springerlink.com/(mc4bgg5...lts,1:100355,1
    Accessed 2006 Jan 22.)

4. e.g. W. F.

Hackett et al., Microbial Decomposition of Synthetic 14C-Labeled Lignins in Nature: Lignin Biodegradation in a

Variety of Natural Materials,
    Appl Environ Microbiol. 1977 January; 33(1): 43â??51.

(http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/pag...geindex=8#page. Accessed 2006 Jan 22.)

I personally don’t know. Just trying to add a little balance.
    I’m not drawing any

conclusions and I’ve already pointed out that, in situations such as this, it is customary for scientists to refrain

from drawing conclusions until the study has been replicated.
    But I will point out an obvious double

standard at play here. The infamous “hockey stick” has been replicated with 7 different methodologies. Here is the

latest: http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/conten...t/311/5762/841 Yet the “let’s do nothing crowd”

insists that it is junk.
    The Keppler conclusions have been replicated 0 times. Yet, for the “let’s do nothing

crowd” it’s not too soon to draw dramatic conclusions from it. Conclusions which are not even drawn by the authors

themselves.
    The Keppler et al study is not junk. It does merit considerations. The question is what kind of

consideration.

Wood Elf states that “Further examination and checking of assumptions demonstrates that it

is not likely the bacteria could produce the noted quantity of methane. Independent research determines that plants

may be producing it in greater quantities than the bacteria.” But this conclusion didn’t come from the research. On

the contrary, the research would have us believe that plants produce methane is smaller quantities than bacteria,

and that’s why it was missed in previous measurements.
    In other words, Wood Elf has, at best, jumped to her

own conclusions.
    She goes on to say that “ Research seems to indicate greater amounts of methane are produced

as temperature increases. That seems reasonable as plant growth activity also increases with temperature. How does

this effect relate to the environment?”
    This is a good question.
    The actual research found extremely

low rates at 30° C. This reflects the top end for tropical range forests (18 to 30° C) and beyond that of temperate

forests (summer monthly T up to 28° C). Keppler et al found that the rate doubled every 10° C increase up to 70°C

(temperatures not observed on our planet).
    Therefore, the answer to Wood Elf’s question is... real world

environmental effects, vis a vis temperature changes, are presently inconclusive, given the temperature ranges

studied.
    Wood Elf concludes by asking, “Will increased methane effect the climate models?”
    But the

research doesn’t even impute a greater quantity of methane in the atmosphere. (Data on the atmospheric

concentrations of methane is gathered quite independently of data used to impute the contributions from various

sources.) At best (if we accept the higher end of Keppler et al’s projections), the research suggests that

anthropogenic sources of atmospheric methane have been over-estimated relative to natural sources.
    A serious

implication to be sure (and I will follow this post with a commentary on that implication). But hardly a paradigm

shifting revelation.
    So where did this notion of “increased methane” come from. Obviously, Wood Elf has

read her own presumptions into someone else’s research.

She goes on to answer her question with, “Of course

they will. It comes close to invalidating the entire model structure because we know methane is released globally by

many different actions.” In other words. Nevermind measuring actual greenhouse concentrations in the atmosphere. We

know that there are lots of plants so lets chuck that notion that CO2 plays a greater role.

What do you

call an approach that begins by hyping the relevance of a particular study, reads stuff into the research that isn’t

there, draws conclusions that are beyond the scope of the study, and then proceeds to use all this hype,

misrepresentation, and confusion as an argument to do away with established science?
    Is this analysis? Or

is this fishing for confirmations of a predetermined position?

Once again. I don’t presume that I can

convince anybody of anything. If you share Wood Elf’s values, you’re going to think, “Why is that idiot picking on

poor little Wood Elf?”
    If you share my values, you may be thinking, “Yeah! Tell it like it is,

a.k.a.!”

Either way, I too have grown sick of this thread. I don’t like thinking about global warming

in the first place and I really don’t enjoy criticizing people — especially people that I like and respect.
    But,

like Netghost, I feel compelled to speak my heart. Global warming is a very serious issue for me and I have

difficulty maintaining an upbeat attitude about the future as it is. It doesn’t help when people that should know

better use their credentials to push a dangerous political agenda on the basis of desperate rationalizations.

I don’t presume that my interventions will change anything in the real world. And they sure won’t make me popular

in this forum. But they do put my conscience to rest.
    Give truth a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by wood elf
    Watson's emphasis

of this result is a scare tactic, pure and simple.
    I don't think so. Cooling factors have a much

shorter lifetime than CO2.
    Anyway here's a different perspective from our friends at Max Plank:

Clearing

smoke may trigger global warming rise

* 18:59 29 June 2005
    * NewScientist.com news service

* Fred Pearce

Global warming looks set to be much worse than previously forecast, according to new research.

Ironically, the crucial evidence is how little warming there has been so far.

Three top climate researchers

claim that the greenhouse gases already in the atmosphere should have warmed the world more than they have. The

reason they have not, they say, is that the warming is being masked by sun-blocking smoke, dust and other polluting

particles put into the air by human activity.

But they warn that in future this protection will lessen due to

controls on pollution. Their best guess is that, as the mask is removed, temperatures will warm by at least 6°C by

2100. That is substantially above the current predictions of 1.5 to 4.5°C.

“Such an enormous increase would

be comparable to the temperature change from the previous ice age to the present,” says one of the researchers,

Meinrat Andreae of the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Mainz, Germany. “It is so far outside the range covered

by our experience and scientific understanding that we cannot with any confidence predict the consequences for the

Earth.”
    Cool estimate

The calculations assume a doubling of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide (CO2)

in the atmosphere by 2100 compared to pre-industrial levels.

Andreae and his two British colleagues, Peter

Cox and Chris Jones, are leading authors from the UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. These new findings

are likely to be reflected in the IPCC’s next assessment of climate change science, scheduled for 2007.

The

cooling effect of aerosols has been known for some time. But, says Andreae, past assessments have underestimated its

influence. Because of this, they have also underestimated the sensitivity of the atmosphere to the warming effect of

greenhouse gases.

The new modelling study finds that only high estimates of both aerosol cooling and

greenhouse warming can explain the history of global temperatures over the past 50 years.
    One foot on the

gas

The problem for future climate is that the cooling aerosols only stay in the air for a few days, whereas

the warming gases stick around for decades or centuries. So while the cooling effect is unlikely to grow much, the

gases will accumulate and have an ever-bigger effect on global temperature.

The world, says Andreae, is

“driving the climate with one foot on the gas and the other on the brake. When the brake comes off, it makes a hell

of a difference".

The authors have added another previously unrecognised element to the temperature forecast

- the effect of all this on nature and the natural carbon cycle.

Natural ecosystems are currently absorbing

up to half of the CO2 that humans put into the atmosphere. Most climate models assume this will continue. But there

is growing evidence that from about 2050, soils and forests will stop absorbing CO2 and start releasing it

instead.

The authors calculate that this switch in the natural carbon cycle could accelerate the build-up of

CO2 in the air by more than 50%, producing a total warming that “may be as high as 10°C” by

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7607
    Give truth a chance.

rant/

One thing I can say

is: Whether the IPCC is right or wrong- at least they're doing their best to figure it out! Which is more than what

I can say about the other side!

Watson's right about the US being lax in its emissions target. It's going to

cost money, ALOT of money, to meet those standards, but by God it's worth it!

"Hydroelectric dams and nuclear

power plants are even less eco-friendly than the fossil-fuel-fired power plants we rely upon." Really? Show

me.

"We can only pray that the time ahead for spreaders of climate hysteria become more desperate

indeed."

Talk about bloviating. Patrick J. Michaels, a Ph.D, has no call to belittle himself by belitting another

person. In fact, that article is rife with goading statements, of which I have fallen prey.

/rant

Apologies.

And here's a more scientific

article that seems to get to the heart of the controversies:

8 Feb 2006
    An Aerosol Tour de

Forcing
    Filed under:

* Climate Science
    * Aerosols

— group @ 4:15 pm

commentary from Ron Miller and Dorothy Koch (NASA GISS)

Scientists have confidence in a result to the extent

that it can be derived by different investigators. Their confidence is increased if different techniques lead to the

same conclusion. Concurrence provides evidence that the conclusion does not depend upon assumptions that

occasionally are insufficiently supported. In contrast, two articles published last December on the same day arrive

at very different and incompatible estimates of the effect of human-made aerosols on the radiative budget of the

planet (Bellouin et al., 2005; Chung et al., 2005). They follow an earlier estimate published last year, (which

included Dorothy as a co-author) that was in the middle (Yu et al., 2005). Aerosols are important to climate partly

because their concentration is increased by the same industrial processes that increase the atmospheric

concentration of greenhouse gases; yet aerosols generally oppose greenhouse warming. Because aerosols cause

respiratory and other health problems and acid rain, they have been regulated more aggressively than greenhouse

gases. Concentrations of some aerosols have decreased over the United States and Europe in recent decades as a

result of environmental laws, although an increase has been observed in many thrid world regions, where economic

development is a priority. In the twenty-first century, aerosol levels are anticipated to drop faster than

greenhouse gases in response to future emission reductions, which will leave greenhouse warming unopposed and

unmoderated.

Each published calculation of aerosol radiative forcing was a tour de force for integrating a

wide variety of measurements ranging from absorption of radiation by individual particles to satellite estimates of

aerosol amount. The disparate results emphasize the complexity and difficulty of the calculation. But let's start

at the beginning....
    Aerosols are solid particles or liquid droplets that are temporarily suspended within the

atmosphere. Naturally occurring examples are sea spray or sulfate droplets, along with soil particles (dust) eroded

by the wind. During the twentieth century, natural sources of sulfate aerosols were overwhelmed by the contribution

from pollution, in particular from the burning of fossil fuels. The number of soot particles in the atmosphere was

increased by industry and the burning of forests to clear land for agriculture. Sulfate aerosols are reflective and

act to cool the planet. Soot particles are also reflective, but can absorb sunlight and cause warming. Soot

production is greater if combustion occurs at low temperatures, as with cooking fires or inefficient power

generation. Aerosols also scatter longwave radiation, although this is significant only for larger aerosols like

soil dust, and is neglected by all three of the studies discussed here.

In addition to their ability to

scatter radiation and change the net energy gain at the top of the atmosphere (the 'direct' effect), aerosols

modify the reflectance and lifetime of clouds (the 'indirect' radiative effects). Aerosols act as nuclei for the

condensation of water vapor, resulting in the distribution of water over a larger number of cloud droplets compared

to condensation in clean air. This increases the cloud's ability to reflect sunlight, while increasing the number

of droplet collisions required to form a raindrop large enough to fall out of the cloud, effectively increasing the

cloud lifetime. Observations and models provide a weaker constraint upon the size of the indirect effects, so the

studies discussed here confine themselves to calculating only the direct radiative effect of anthropogenic

aerosols.

aerosol haze According to the latest (2001) IPCC report, direct radiative forcing by anthropogenic

aerosols cools the planet, but the forcing magnitude is highly uncertain, with a global, annual average between

-0.35 and -1.35 W/m2 at the top of the atmosphere (TOA). The uncertainty of the total indirect effect is even

larger. Aerosols eventually fall out of the atmosphere or are washed out by rainfall. The smaller particles having

the largest radiative effect typically reside in the atmosphere for only a few days to a few weeks. This time is too

short for them to be mixed uniformly throughout the globe (unlike CO2), so there are large regional variations in

aerosol radiative forcing, with the largest effects predictably downwind of industrial centers like the east coast

of North America, Europe, and East Asia. Consequently, aerosol effects upon climate are larger in particular

regions, where they are key to understanding twentieth century climate change.

Aerosol concentrations have

been measured downwind of sources over the past few decades, but the number of observing sites is limited and the

analysis is laborious. Since the late 1970's, satellite instruments have detected aerosols routinely with nearly

global coverage. However, only the combined effect of all aerosols upon radiation impinging upon the satellite was

originally measured. The original instruments couldn't distinguish between dust and sulfate aerosols where both

were present, over the Mediterranean or East Asia, for example. Recent instruments, like the Moderate Resolution

Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) measure radiation at multiple wavelengths. This allows particle size to be

distinguished with greater confidence, which can be used with some assumptions to infer the aerosol

species.

Range of forcing estimatesThe new generation of satellite instruments is at the heart of recent

attempts to reduce the large uncertainty of direct radiative forcing by aerosols. Each of these studies provides an

estimate of the most likely value, along with a range of uncertainty. Bellouin et al. (2005) in Nature arrive at TOA

forcing of -0.8 ± 0.1 W/m2. While near the center of the range published by the IPCC, this estimate is noteworthy

for its comparatively small uncertainty. Yet on the same day, Chung et al. (2005) published an article in the JGR,

estimating based upon similarly extensive calculations that the forcing by aerosols at TOA is -0.35 ± 0.25 W/m2. A

few months earlier, Yu et al. (2005) had estimated a more conciliatory value of -0.5 ± 0.33 W/m2. The wide range of

estimates give some indication the difficulty of the problem.

Forcing estimates differ not only at TOA but

also at the surface: Bellouin et al. predict that aerosols reduce the net radiation incident upon the surface by 1.9

± 0.2 W/m2 compared to 3.4 ± 0.1 W/m2 for Chung et al. (2005). That is, Chung et al. estimate much greater

atmospheric absorption. Because radiation into the surface is mainly balanced by evaporation, except within

extremely arid regions, the discrepancy has implications for the supply of moisture to the atmosphere. Chung et al.

estimate a much larger reduction in global rainfall by aerosols.

What are the sources of disagreement and

uncertainty? Ideally, one would know the three-dimensional distribution of each aerosol species and its evolution

throughout the year. One would also be able to distinguish natural and human fractions of each species. For sulfate

aerosols, this means distinguishing droplets created by industrial sources, compared to biogenic sources. In

addition, the ability of each particle to scatter radiation would be known as a function of its age and aggregation

with other species (in the way that dust can be coated with sulfates when passing over industrial areas, for

example). Many of these processes are included in aerosol models, but some of the key parameters are uncertain given

limited observations.

Bellouin et al. attempt an empirical end-run around this uncertainty by dividing the

planet into six regions where aerosol concentration is high, and using a 'typical' value of particle absorption

based on surface measurements. The measured absorption is a single value that reflects the combined effect of both

anthropogenic and natural aerosols, although the six representative sites were chosen where contribution by the

former dominates. Regions with a preponderance of sulfates, such as the eastern coast of North America and downwind,

were assigned greater reflectance and lesser absorption than particles over the Indian Ocean where dark soot

particles are more common. This is based upon contrasting surface measurements at Washington DC and the Maldive

Islands in the Indian Ocean. The total aerosol mass was inferred from MODIS estimates of the aerosol optical

thickness (AOT), which measures attenuation of a light beam passing through an aerosol layer. To estimate the

anthropogenic fraction of aerosols, Bellouin et al. made use of the fact that anthropogenic aerosols such as sulfate

and soot are generally smaller than natural aerosols such as soil dust and sea salt. MODIS provides not only the

total AOT but also the fractional contribution corresponding to smaller particles whose diameter is less than one

micron (a thousandth of a millimeter). Bellouin et al. attributed the total AOT to human influence in regions where

the fine fraction AOT exceeds 85% of the total. Conversely, regions where larger particles make the predominant

contribution to AOT were excluded from the anthropogenic total. While MODIS is able to make this distinction between

small and large particles over ocean, the distinction is more uncertain over land, and here Bellouin et al. resorted

to the anthropogenic fraction computed by five aerosol models, a number chosen to reduce the uncertainty associated

with any single model.

Despite their different result compared to Bellouin et al., the calculations by Chung

et al. and Yu et al. are similar. Chung et al. assign the total AOT using MODIS, and adjust this value using local

measurements by the AERONET array of sun photometers. (These instruments point toward the sun and record incident

radiation at various wavelengths.) The main difference is that Chung et al. compute the anthropogenic fraction over

both land and ocean using a single aerosol model, and they use this model along with AERONET measurements to specify

the radiative properties of the combined aerosol population within each column. Consequently, these properties vary

within each region as opposed to the regionally averaged values used by Bellouin et al. based upon a single

putatively representative site. Yu et al. use an even broader array of measurements and models.

Why do

similar methods result in forcing estimates whose uncertainty ranges don't overlap? This is difficult to know,

although here we speculate upon the effect of some of the differing assumptions. Chung et al. specify greater

particle absorption compared to all but one of the six regional values used by Bellouin et al. Because the TOA

forcing becomes less negative as absorption increases, this accounts for some of the difference. Similarly, Chung et

al.'s replacement of their model estimate of anthropogenic particle fraction over the ocean with the MODIS estimate

(following Bellouin et al.) narrows the difference.

Treatment of aerosol forcing over cloudy regions also

contributes to the difference. Both studies estimate nearly identical forcing at the surface in the absence of

clouds. While aerosol absorption and reflection have opposing effects at TOA, they both reduce sunlight beneath the

aerosol layer, contributing to negative forcing at the surface. Thus, forcing at the surface is less sensitive to

the relative strength of absorption versus reflection. When cloudy regions are included, Chung et al. calculate a

much larger reduction of surface radiation than Bellouin et al., who assume that aerosol forcing in these regions is

zero. At TOA, Chung et al. calculate positive aerosol forcing within cloudy regions, accounting for some of the

global disagreement with Bellouin et al. TOA forcing depends strongly upon the relative position of the cloud and

aerosol layer. An absorbing soot layer above a bright cloud absorbs more radiation than if the layer were beneath

the cloud. Unlike AOT, the vertical distribution of aerosols is not measured routinely, and is comparatively

uncertain.

The disagreement among forcing estimates raises the more general point of whether any study really

captures the full range of uncertainty. The number of calculations needed to sample the uncertainty can increase

exponentially with the number of uncertain parameters. While parametric uncertainty is straightforward to estimate,

the dearth of observations makes it difficult to estimate the effect of assuming a bulk absorption that represents

an 'average' aerosol rather than computing absorption by each species separately. The latter is an example of a

structural uncertainty that is typically difficult to characterize. Given the difficulty of measuring the aerosol

mass over the entire planet, along with myriad aspects of the aerosol life cycle that are poorly measured and

impossible to model precisely, the most reliable estimate of forcing uncertainty may be derived by combining the

central forcing estimate from a number of studies, as opposed to taking the uncertainty range of any single study.

Yu et al. seem to acknowledge the large outstanding uncertainty by relegating their estimate of anthropogenic

aerosol forcing to a table, rather than highlighting it in the abstract or conclusions.

Progress will come by

more systematic comparisons among studies to identify key uncertainties. The unambiguous distinction between

individual aerosol species within models will eventually become possible by direct observation as a result of more

discerning instruments. Nonetheless, models will remain valuable for their ability to distinguish natural and

anthropogenic sources of the same aerosol species. While Bellouin et al. assume that all soot particles over the

ocean are anthropogenic, naturally occurring forest fires contribute as well. As consensus emerges regarding the

global aerosol forcing, attention will turn to regional values that cause local changes to climate and heat

redistribution by the atmosphere. Because of the added complexity of cloud physics, the aerosol indirect effect may

be even more resistant to consensus. Aerosol forcing remains a crucial problem because its offset of greenhouse

warming is expected to decrease with time as governments address the health problems associated with aerosols.

Because of their comparatively short lifetimes, the concentration of aerosols decreases much faster than that of CO2

given a reduction in fossil fuel use. Regardless of the absolute amount of the forcing, future reductions in aerosol

emissions will be a positive forcing, amplyfying the warming effects of increasing greenhouse

gases.

References:

Bellouin, N., O. Boucher, J.Haywood and M. S. Reddy. Global estimate of aerosol

direct radiative forcing from satellite measurements, Nature, 438, 1138-1141 (22 December 2005) |

doi:10.1038/nature04348 (pdf)

Chung, C. E., V. Ramanathan, D. Kim and I. Podgorny, 2005: Global anthropogenic

aerosol direct forcing derived from satellite and ground-based observations. J. Geophys. Res., 110, D24207,

doi:10.1029/2005JD006356. (pdf)

Yu, H., Y.J. Kaufman, M. Chin, G. Feingold, L.A. Remer, T.L. Anderson, Y.

Balkanski, N. Bellouin, O. Boucher, S. Christopher, P. DeCola, R. Kahn, D. Koch, N. Loeb, M.S. Reddy, M. Schulz, T.

Takemura, and M. Zhou 2006. A review of measurement-based assessment of aerosol direct radiative effect and forcing.

Atmos. Chem. Phys., in press. (pdf)
    Give truth a chance.

And here's the promised commentary

on the Keppler et al study:

Emerging science on methane emissions from forests: Do forestation projects

designed to slow global warming still make sense?
    James Wang and Bill Chameides

January 20, 2006

Bottom Line: The slowing of global warming achieved by growing and preserving forests that sequester

carbon dioxide from the atmosphere far outweighs the warming from the methane that may be emitted by these forests.

Reforestation and slowing deforestation still appear to be among the most promising actions that can be taken to

slow the build-up of greenhouse gas pollutants in the near-term.

A paper published in the journal

Nature on January 12, 2006 by Frank Keppler and colleagues describes new measurements that suggest living plants

are a major source of atmospheric methane, a powerful greenhouse gas. This finding, if confirmed by future

studies, will represent a significant scientific advance and will require climate scientists to make some

adjustments in their thinking. However, claims in the media (but not by Keppler et al.) that this new finding

threatens to undermine global-warming science and will negate global-warming mitigation strategies based on

reforestation and forest conservation are unfounded. It is easily shown that the warming caused by methane

emissions from a temperate forest in the United States amounts to only 1% – 10% of the cooling gained from carbon

dioxide sequestration.
    The measurements made by Keppler et al. appear to be based on sound scientific

methodologies. However, they are the first of their kind and the estimates of the global impacts of these

emissions are based on large extrapolations from a limited set of data. Further study is needed to better

understand the processes that control the methane emissions and how they vary. Still, it is instructive to take the

results of Keppler et al. at face value and examine their implications.

Are the basic underpinnings of

global warming science still valid?

Yes. Keppler et al. have discovered a new and potentially

significant source of methane releases to the atmosphere—direct emissions from vegetation. This finding, if

confirmed, will require some modifications to our understanding of the global methane budget. And since methane is

a powerful greenhouse gas (23 times more effective as a global warmer than carbon dioxide), these modifications

will affect how we think about the interactions between the climate and biosphere. However, the findings do not

alter the essential landscape of global warming: (1) The globe is warming; (2) This warming is largely due to the

human-induced emissions of greenhouse gases, principally carbon dioxide, but also methane; and (3) Major cuts in

the emissions of these gases will be needed to avert potentially dangerous and irreversible climate change. Indeed,

as pointed out by Keppler et al., their finding may have an unanticipated consequence. In addition to causing

global warming, increasing carbon dioxide concentrations from the burning of fossil fuels may increase the rate at

which trees and other vegetation grow, and if Keppler et al. are correct, this would lead to more methane

emissions, and even more warming.

Is the preservation and growing of forests still a viable way to slow

global warming?

Yes. When trees grow in a forest, they remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and

sequester the carbon in the living tissues and the dead litter of the forest. When forests are destroyed, the

carbon they store is returned to atmosphere as carbon dioxide. For this reason, forests are thought to act as a

brake on global warming. We can reduce the build-up of greenhouse gases by fostering projects that grow new trees

(reforestation) or by slowing the rate at which existing forests are destroyed (deforestation); in the lexicon of

global-warming mitigation, such projects are said to provide “offsets” that can be credited against carbon dioxide

emissions, for example by burning fossil fuel. Environmental Defense, along with many other organizations, has long

been a proponent of such offsets. Indeed, the Kyoto Protocol officially recognizes reforestation as a valid

offset project to meet carbon emission caps and the treaty’s member nations are now considering allowing developing

nations to win carbon offsets for reducing deforestation.

Methane emissions from trees would reduce the

global warming benefits of growing and preserving forests. However, calculations 4 using the emission rates

estimated by Keppler et al. indicate that the reduction is quite small and easily managed. For example, the warming

caused by methane emissions from a temperate forest grown in the United States are only 1 – 10% of the cooling

effect gained from carbon dioxide sequestration. Thus, while it might be argued that the offset awarded to a

reforestation project would have to be reduced as a result of the methane emissions, the reduction would be only

10% or less. The offset reductions that might be charged against a project that slows the rate of deforestation

would also be small. Reductions of this magnitude are easily managed and incorporated into existing protocols for

determining a sequestration project’s offset.

Conclusion

Science is a never-ending process

of discovery and re-evaluation. However, virtually all of the new scientific findings related to climate in the

recent past have significantly strengthened the science underpinning the global warming phenomenon and the need for

prompt action on global warming. The new finding of Keppler et al, if anything, reinforces this notion.

APPENDIX. Calculations

We document here the calculations we carried out to estimate the impact of

the proposed methane emissions on the offsets that might be awarded to a project based on afforestation or slowing

deforestation.

Afforestation

As an illustration, we consider the offset of a project that

replaces existing cropland with a temperate forest.
    1. Carbon Dioxide (CO2) removed by afforestation

According to Schlesinger 5 the plant and litter biomass of a mature temperate forest is about 160 x 10 6 g

C/ha (ha = hectare = 0.01 square km)
    The plant and litter biomass of cropland is 5 x 10 6 g C/ha
    So

replacing cropland with a forest will eventually sequester 155 x 10 6 g C/ha
    If we assume conservatively that

the forest takes 100 years to mature, the average C sequestration rate would be about 1.6 x 10 6 g C/ha/year

This is equivalent to removing about 5.7 x 10 6 g of CO 2/ha/year

2. Equivalent amount of CO2 emitted to

atmosphere in the form of methane (CH4) emissions
    According to Keppler et al. 6 the methane emissions from

temperate forests worldwide range from (7 – 29) x 10 12 g CH 4/yr
    Worldwide there are about 1.2 x 10 9 ha

of temperate forests according to Schlesinger
    The global warming potential (GWP) for CH4 is estimated at 23

according to the IPCC
    Taking the worldwide CH4 emission rate, multiplying by 23 (the GWP 23) and dividing by

1.2 x 10 9 ha, yields an equivalent emission rate for CH 4 from temperate forests of (0.1 – 0.6) x 10 6 g of (CO

2)eq/ha/year

3. Offset Reduction From Methane Emissions
    The offset reduction is given by

[Equivalent CO2 emissions from CH4]/[CO2 sequestered by forest] = [(0.1 – 0.6) x 10 6 g of (CO

2)eq/ha/year]/[ 5.7 x 10 6 g of CO 2/ha/year] ~ 0.018 – 0.1 = 1.8 – 10%

Deforestation

As

an illustration we consider the offset awarded for a project that avoids the destruction of a tropical forest and

replacement with cropland.
    1. The CO2 released from destroying a tropical forest and replacing it with

cropland
    According to Prentice et al. 8, the total C sequestered in a tropical forest is typically about

240 x 10 6g C/ha
    The total C sequestered in cropland is typically about 80 x 10 6 g C/ha
    So, the

destruction of tropical forest and its replacement with cropland would release about 160 x 10 6 g C/ha
    This

is equivalent to the release to 590 x 10 6 g CO 2/ha
    Thus preventing the destruction of the tropical forest

effectively prevents the release of 590 x 10 6 g CO 2/ha
    If we conservatively estimate that the tropical

forest is maintained by the project for 100 years, then the project prevents the release of about 5.9 x 10 6 g CO

2/ha/yr
    2. The release of CH4 from the tropical forest
    According to Keppler et al. tropical forests

worldwide emit (33 – 126) x 10 12 g CH 4/yr
    Worldwide there are about 2.5 x 10 9 ha of tropical forests

according to Schlesinger
    The global warming potential (GWP) for CH4 is estimated at 23 according to the IPCC

Taking the worldwide CH4 emission rate, multiplying by 23 (the GWP) and dividing by 2.5 x 10 9 ha, yields an

equivalent emission rate for CH 4 from tropical forests of (0.3 – 1.2) x 10 6 g of (CO 2)eq/ha/year
    3. The

release of CH4 from cropland
    According to Keppler et al. croplands worldwide emit (3 – 12) x 10 12 g CH 4/yr

Worldwide there are about 1.4 x 10 9 ha of cropland according to Schlesinger
    The global warming

potential (GWP) for CH4 is estimated at 23 according to the IPCC
    Taking the worldwide CH4 emission rate,

multiplying by 23 (the GWP) and dividing by 1.4 x 10 9 ha, yields an equivalent emission rate for CH 4 from

cropland of (0.05 – 0.2) x 10 6 g of (CO 2)eq/ha/yr
    4. Total Extra CH4 Emitted
    The extra CH4

emissions from preserving the forest is the difference between the forest emission and the cropland emission: (0.1

– 1.2) x 10 6 g of (CO 2)eq/ha/yr
    5. Offset Reduction From Methane Emissions
    The offset reduction is

given by [Equivalent CO2 emissions from CH4]/[CO2 emission prevented ] = [(0.1 – 1.2) x 10 6

g of (CO 2)eq/ha/year]/[ 5.9 x 10 6 g of CO 2/ha/year] ~ 0.016 – 0.2 ~ 1.5 – 20%

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/...ns_Forests.pdf
    Give truth a chance.

Thanks AKA. You couldn't have

made the point better if you had tried. Please, stand up and take a bow.

Did anybody else catch it?

Misrepresentation of what I have been saying right along. Trying to force others to act right now regardless of

anything. If we aren't with him we are against him? Would somebody, other than AKA who already has expressed his

opinion, mind telling me how an open minded demand for information translates to "Do nothing"?

AKA mentioned

elsewhere that he is extremely liberal which says whole volumes about how he'll respond to anything and also

explains his view that we are making political statements. To be fair, from his perspective they probably are

political but not from ours. Wood Elf is about as apolitical as a person can get. She has no interest whatsoever in

anything other than her science and our personal lives. I have been called a conservative and a liberal time and

again depending on the other's personal point of view. It always makes me laugh because it demonstrates the other

person's mentality but says nothing about me. The fact is that my position on any subject has nothing to do with

party affiliation or political leaning. I may side with Bush on one topic then utterly oppose him on another, the

same with John Kerry to name a couple examples. It all depends on the issue itself and how I feel it impacts the

world. It wouldn't be fair to say I couldn't care less about party politics because I have a very strong belief

that party politics are a horrible waste of time and an obstruction to accomplishing important things. To carry it a

step further, when politics and politicians and political thinking interfere with necessarry functions those

involved should be charged with treason.

Climate change is not a political issue, nor is global warming a

confirmed scientific fact. However, our response to the allegation of global warming has huge significance to the

entire planet and our own nation. Each active party has tried to vilefy the others and push their agenda to the

forefront. Each's agenda has massive implications for the human race. How any rational person could possibly act

without having a clear image of the facts and having looked at all the opposing points in as unbiased a fashion as

they can is beyond my comprehension. I don't see this being done and I am appalled at it.

To all the rest who

are reading this. I'd like to point out a couple things to you before leaving this discussion permenently and

letting AKA have his fun.

1. As mentioned in a thread above, this has become a religious debate more than

anything else. And as with any religions, the other side is always demonized. Misrepresentation of the others point

is always the main tactic. AKA has done a fine job of demonstrating that in his misrepresentation of what we and

many are saying. We have not once said that nothing should be done. We have repeatedly expressed concern for our

environment and a desire to find out exactly what is going on. He was told us that all the leaders in all the oil

companies are happily destroying the environment for their own personal gain. A little research and study into those

individuals might lead you to a different conclusion. Like the christians, the Bush team and so many others, if we

are not with you, we are against you. I also note that we are seeking knowledge and have few answers, the

environmental terrorists have all the answers.

2. Professor Lindzen IS a top of his field scientist who once

held a top job with the IPCC then quit to join the other side. I'm sure the zealots are going to tell us he did it

all for personal gain and an utter lack of concern for the environment. I can tell you from vast experience with

that type that the rarely are for sale and hold their views as sacred. Check into it yourselves and see what you

think instead of taking my opinion for it. I'm also sure that the 19,000 total signers of his petition were all

doing it for personal gain. Keep in mind that by time his petition reached congress 19,000 environmenal scientists,

60% of whom hold Ph.Ds signed a petition to squelch signing of the Kyoto protocols. Of course, they could all be

employed by the enemy and none of them are concerned about the environment. Once again, instead of paying attention

to the personal attacks and the us against them mentality, please take the time to study the positions and learn

about the people with those positions.

3. I encourage everybody, to the extent of their education and available

time to do the research for themselves. Take the time to review sources and how the studies were reviewed by the

researcher and his peers. A world of information can be gleaned from the actual peer review process itself and how

it is accomplished. Also, take the time to look at the actual credentials of those supporting the work. The local

meteorologist in Budapest or an historian is rather a poor source next to a Professor Emeritus of Environmental

Science.

4. Please, each and every person, don't take anybody's word for it! Read the Kyoto protocols and ask

yourself if it would really do any good when they only impact 1/3 of the globe. And ask yourself if there wouldn't

be a better way of addressing the issue than to ignore all the other sources. You might also ask yourself why other

countries have decided not to join Kyoto but have initiated their own programs in which to control environmental

issues. Do you really believe that all those countries have no interest in their environment or they have been

hoodwinked into developing their own program? Proponents of Kyoto tell us the other process won't work but I would

rather wait and see because I have more faith in human best interests than others.

For some reason, the

environmentalist's stand strongly reminds me of a car salesman I walked away from a while back. "You have to decide

right now. Never mind doing any further research or study. This is your one and only opportunity to buy. Everybody

else's product is junk and I'm the only one on your side, the only one who is interested in you. I know what's

good for you, sign here"

As a close I'll offer a repeat of something I've said quite a few times in a variety

of ways. Don't let anybody stamped you into making decisions. Learn everything you can about this critically

important issue from every possible perspective. Go into it with an open mind and a willingness to learn. Don't

become a zealot.
    Last edited by belgareth; 02-13-2006 at 05:43 AM.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

& Double Naught Spy InternationalPlayboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a.
    Let

me begin by stating the obvious: Belgareth and Wood Elf are promoting a political position. The probability that

they may genuinely hate politics and political intrusions into scientific research doesn’t change this

fact.
    And the environmental movement is completely devoid of political agendas?

First let me

state that I was a high school hippie/Yippie. I used to think of Abbie Hoffman as a role model. But I grew up. Two

things that opened my eyes about him was his statement that he was a Communist and his suicide. Sure going

underground messed with his head, but he decided he couldn't live in this world anymore and took his life. In

contrast, Jerry Rubin, his equal in the Yippie movement became a capatalist in his later years.

I don't

argue that we haven't done damage to our environment and that we need to be careful with our impact to the Earth.

But I am wary of the whole environmental movement, mainly due to the extremists like Earth First and PETA, to name

two. From what I understand, when the socialist movement of the 1960s failed, they inflitrated the environmental

movement in attempt to get their agenda across that way. Abbie Hoffman is a perfect example of this. Even before he

surfaced from his stint in the underground, he was working as an environmental activist under the name of Barry

Freed.

Now I'm not trying to say that all environmentalists are socialists or communists. But both sides can

have hidden political agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by InternationalPlayboy
    And

the environmental movement is completely devoid of political agendas?

First let me state that I was a high

school hippie/Yippie. I used to think of Abbie Hoffman as a role model. But I grew up. Two things that opened my

eyes about him was his statement that he was a Communist and his suicide. Sure going underground messed with his

head, but he decided he couldn't live in this world anymore and took his life. In contrast, Jerry Rubin, his equal

in the Yippie movement became a capatalist in his later years.

I don't argue that we haven't done damage to

our environment and that we need to be careful with our impact to the Earth. But I am wary of the whole

environmental movement, mainly due to the extremists like Earth First and PETA, to name two. From what I understand,

when the socialist movement of the 1960s failed, they inflitrated the environmental movement in attempt to get their

agenda across that way. Abbie Hoffman is a perfect example of this. Even before he surfaced from his stint in the

underground, he was working as an environmental activist under the name of Barry Freed.

Now I'm not trying to

say that all environmentalists are socialists or communists. But both sides can have hidden political

agendas.
    Yeah, I was one of those too. Marched in protest of the Vietnam war before I was in high

school. It could have had something to do with growing up just north of Berkely. Half my teachers in high school

were activists. Time and experience taught me to see things differently.

Thomas Jefferson

If it's not too much to ask,

how does that make you feel? Do you feel that you've made the right choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Netghost56
    If it's not

too much to ask, how does that make you feel? Do you feel that you've made the right choices?
    How do I

explain how it makes me feel in under 100,000 words? Choices are a funny thing, you do what you can live with. I

have to deal with myself and my sense of honor. Let me try this, see if I can make it comprehensible. I've tried

before but seem to fail every time.

I support caring for the environment by doing every thing in my power to

never destroy that around me and always try to do something for the world. They range from little things like buying

living Christmas trees and planting them after the holiday to promoting and supporting hydrogen fueling systems for

cars. I never take anything at face value and always hold every organization suspect until they prove they aren't.

I do not forgive a wrong action done in a good cause, ever! For instance, I do not agree that environmentalists have

the right to destroy other's property. That is no more and no less than terrorism and makes them no different from

bin Laden. The same applies to PETA or any other group who will use violence for any reason other than self defense.

Lying to convince the public to follow a certain path is another unforgivable action.

I support people and help

whenever I can. I am a member of a service group that actively helps others. I donate thousands of dollars and

hundreds of hours every year to helping others. I am generally opposed to war but would be on the front lines were

we attacked. That is said both on the large and small scale. I can fight but rarely do. When I do it is only to

defend, never to attack.

I believe in our responisibility for everything we are and everything we do. I am not

responsible for you or your actions and have no authority to force or coerce in any way shape or form. Yet, when you

make an effort to help yourself I am there to assist because I feel it is my duty to do so.

I believe that no

person should bear children unless they are willing to dedicate the years needed to raise them as proper citizens

but would not support mandatory birth control. Instead, I would hold parents responsible for the actions and well

being of the children the decided to bring into this world. In my own case, neither of my biological children were

planned. I do not support abortion thus took responsibility for my actions and raised them the best I could. Yet, I

do not have the right to tell others how to feel about abortion or to stop them from using it if they deem it right.

Funny thing is, most who know me don't realize my step daughter is not my own blood kin. She's my daughter, I took

responsibility for a child and raised her as my own and lavished as much love and discipline on her as my own. As

far as either of us is concerned, I'm dad.

I do not care if you are a liberal, a libertarian, a republican, a

christian, a budist, a nudist, a black, hispanic or have purple stripes or are a practicing wiccan. I take you based

only on your actions, nothing more or less. Your words only mean something when they help me learn how you think and

believe. If you are a christian and are faithful to that, I honor it. If you are a environmentalist and live that, I

honor you for it. If your words and actions don't match, as is so often the case, I reagard you as dishonest and

contemptable.

In a nutshell, I believe that all creatures in this universe are equal and the sole inalienable

right is the right of free will. I do not cage an animal and have only killed with cause. I do not ever force my

will on another or allow another to force their will on me. The one exception is my obligation to defend those less

capable than me. Before I take any action I have an obligation to determine to the best of my ability the right or

wrong of my action and if I will be doing harm to another. Political goals, party politics or ambitions mean nothing

to me, only living my life in the best way possible. If that means I am going to object to the actions of some

group, then I will object.

I may be guilty of black and white thinking and don't especially care. My word is

my given word, my honor is my honor. My purposes in life are the same as everybody else's, to learn, to grow, to

help others and to be the best possible version of me I can be. I am human and often fail at that but the point is

in the effort, not always the success.

In my eyes, based on my study and best belief, the IPCC and Kyoto are not

good for humanity as a whole and are not true to their purpose so I have an obligation to oppose them. However, I

want each and every person to make that determination for themselves.

Can you apply that to all the above or

have I goofed again?

Thomas Jefferson

I understand your views. I

don't particularily subscribe to all of them, but I do respect them.

Groups like PETA and ELF act with anguish.

I don't neccessarily support their tactics, but I understand their feelings. When you're taunted for being

alarmist, then outplayed by bureaucrats with their vast stores of money and lobbyists- you feel like you're

drowning. The only way to keep your dignity, as you(ELF) would see it, would be to make the other side feel the

sting that they've inflicted on you. It's like when someone taunts you, but you can't come up with the words to

get back at them, and in your anguish you strike out physically. I've been in that position countless times. You

either act out or let the anger simmer inside you. Guess which choice I made everytime.

If you're guilty of

black and white thinking, I'm guilty of always trying to find the grey area, no matter what. Compromise. To me

that's the best possible choice in most, if not all matters. Because if one side doesn't feel satisfied with the

outcome, there will never be an amicable solution, to anything.

One thing I pride myself on is that I try to see

things from the other person's POV. I truly do. I make myself completely and totally unbiased, and try to get a

sense of why the other person feels the way they do.

It's unfortunate that we're so oppositely polarized on

global warming. There has never been another issue where I have been so passionate. But it goes back to something

that happened to me a few years ago that greatly altered my conscience (and perception) about the environment. I'm

the last person who would believe such an alteration possible, but it happened. And because of it I can no longer be

nonchalant about any environmental issue. If I come across as fanatical...well, I don't mean to be, but I can't

help what I feel.

I've become a very angry person over the past few years- angry at humanity, angry at life,

and angry with myself. On one hand, it's alot better than the decade of depression I struggled with. It's made me

more active and outgoing. On the other, it's still negative and non-productive. I'm pessimistic about whether I

can work out the issues and be happy. Presently I feel that improving my surroundings will improve me, which in part

leads to my strong convictions.

Honor? I doubt I have any. It's not encouraged where I live. We're all

trained to be followers from the first day where we see someone bullied. When the moment came, I went to someone's

aid, and forever after I reaped the consequences. But there is one sentence that I believe in: "All men are created

equal." I take that to the very core. That's why I can never be a capitalist. I believe everyone deserves a fair

shake, regardless of motivation, ambition, or need. If a person was able to live in comfort, they would be able to

pursue their dreams, and in so doing achieve greater goals. Goals that would further humanity as a whole. I don't

believe that people desire to be greater than other, but that deep down they just want to be as great as they can

be.

I also believe that all creatures are created equal. I don't elevate humans over the animal kingdom, and I

think its wrong to do so. To me it leads to elevating certain people over others, certain classes over others, etc.

Equality, to me, is our most important issue that needs to be resolved. I don't think we'll ever have global peace

or global harmony without it.

In case nobody guessed, I’ve been an

activist most of my life. And I can somewhat relate to the notion of something that I never grew out of.
    Most

kids start rebelling in their teens. My rebellion took a new twist when I read Ghandi’s autobiography and started

practicing “passive non-cooperation” on my parents. It worked so well that I went on to practice it on my teachers.

I took part in some demonstrations in college, but things didn’t really click until I participated in an Oxfam

project for feeding poor families in the Dominican Republic.
    At the time I thought it would be a cheap

way to visit the Caribbean. But I wasn’t prepared for what I saw. The most devastating thing was that look in every

sick child’s eyes. All that trust and hope and thirst for life begging not to be sucked into some cold oblivion.

In one way or another, I’ve been involved with healthcare issues ever since. And in the process I’ve learned a lot

about corporate lobbying, Third-World issues, North-South relations, and war. I’m a firm believer in universal

healthcare, so that makes me a socialist in many people’s eyes.
    I usually always participate in peace

rallies. But I never got too involved in the strategy sessions because I’ve yet to find a group of people that

really wants to win. Most peace activists seem content to have somebody to blame for everything. They wouldn’t know

what to do if the responsibility for world peace was in their hands.
    I’ve done some research, on and off,

for a clean water advocacy group in my state. And I do try to keep on top of environmental issues. But I don’t have

the constitution to be a dedicated environmentalist. It takes a very special person to sustain a positive outlook in

the face of so many problems (Jane Goodal and David Suzuki come to mind). Groups like Earth First embrace militant

postures to compensate for the fact that they’ve given up inside.
    I’ve worked on a number of Senatorial

campaigns. And I guess my high point was participating in both of Jesse Jackson’s presidential campaigns. After he

lost the ‘88 primaries, I worked on the Dukakis campaign. By the time Dukakis lost, my ex-wife and I had made enough

connections to land cushy little jobs in the Democratic party. It took me about 4 months to figure out that career

politicians are part of the problem (not the solution), but my ex is probably still into it (and I wouldn’t be

surprised to see her face pop up when Hilary makes a go of it).
    I didn’t take part in Nader’s campaign

because he didn’t really want to win. But if Cindy Sheehan makes a run for office in 2008 I’ll be there for

sure.
    I’d like to say that I’m motivated by high minded goals and a passion for justice. But it’s also, if

not more, true that I’m a real political animal. I like the engagement, the challenge, the thrills and spills, the

intellectual stimulation, the social contacts... and , of course, the celebrities.
    My high point was in the

‘80’s when I got to spend the day with Elizabeth Montgomery (star of TV’s “Bewitched”). She was my dream wife as a

little kid, and, even though she was quite old when I met her, I could barely contain my desire while being in her

presence.
    Abbie Hoffman, on the other hand, was pushy and full of himself. He was a drug dealer and a woman

hater. He was pretty funny, a decent motivator, and could have been a good organizer if his idea of women’s role

wasn’t baking brownies and giving bj’s.
    There were some yippies that were real good at digging up

information — mostly through their cocaine connections. But, for the most part, they were just a bunch of spoiled

white kids. (I think I can say that. Being white myself.)
    Speaking of which... I think the image most people

today have of the sixties is based on the inordinate amount of attention that the media placed on spoiled white kids

acting out.

Anyway... I think the biggest lesson of “passive non-cooperation” is that there are

countless ways to break the human body. But the only person that can break your spirit is yourself.
    Give truth a chance.

Netghost:

From my

perspective, there is no point of disagreement until you attempt to force your will on me. All I want you to do is

decide what in your own mind is best for the world around you then act on it. Nothing more or less. Making laws to

force others to comply with your belief is simply using force or the threat of it, it is still a form of violence.

How can you do that when you would object to others forcing their will on you? They believe in what they do,

probably as much as you believe in what you do. How is your belief or theirs the greater that justifies any form of

force? If we are all equal we all have the same rights to live by our beliefs regardless of the next person's

beliefs unless we are doing them harm. Therefore, the only logical way to address any issue is to offer information

and education, then ask each to make their own decision and act upon what they believe is right.

Do we differ on

global warming? Consider carefully what I have said. Global warming as defined by the IPCC or by science? They are

not the same thing necessarily. Isn't fact the determining factor on what our actions should be? Use what I said in

the previous paragraph and add to that the knowledge that many top scientists disagree with what the IPCC is

pushing. Would you, in good concience be able to support the IPCC?

I think you misunderstand capitalism. Why do

you have the opportunity to go to a grocery store and select from a wide range of products? What motivated so many

talented people to create such wonderous devices as the computer you are sitting at right now? Capitalism is

probably the only relatively harmles and actually benificial form of greed there is. It is also one of the great

civilizing influences responsible for mankind's growth and development. That it has been miused is not the fault of

capitalism or the majority of capitalists.

Anger and honor are two interesting things. Anger solves nothing and

acting in anger is almost sure to create more trouble than it solves. Don't waste your energy on anger, it isn't

going to help you. Get rid of it. Honor is different. It is something only you can decide to have or not have. But

once you decide that you will act with honor it changes everything about your life. Sure, there are consequences for

acting with honor but there are consequences for acting without it. I don't remember who said it but there is an

old saying about courage. That a couragous man dies but once, a coward dies a thousand times. Honor would be a

better term than courage, in my opinion.

AKA:

You'd be surprised how close we are in philosophy and

outlook. Different approaches but little in the way of different core beliefs or perspective when you get right down

to it. Some issues I haven't decided what I believe is workable, such as universal healthcare. That's mostly

because I haven't spent the time looking into it. I rarely take a stand on anything based on want, instead use

feasability and need as the core reasons for my actions. It sounds as if we agree completely on the subject of

career politicians.

I do wish you well in your endeavors but do not agree that the fight is the reason for the

action. The end result is the only goal I have.

PS: To add one last point, or rather to amplify on one. An

activist who attempts to force change on others while not living by the rules they espouse is no more than a

hypocrite and would be dictator. Here in the south I see it all the time with the religious right wingers. They want

to force other to follow their rules in a religion guided by peace and love. They'll use fore if they have too to

get you to follow their religious beliefs. Whether it is religion, environmental, politics or animal rights, unless

they live by the rules they espouse and expect others to live by they are beneath contempt.
    Last edited by belgareth; 02-14-2006 at 08:24 PM.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information