Close

Question Using discount coupons with orders containing Specials

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I had this question on another thread, but it was suggested I post it here on the LS CS section.

I'd like to order up another item or two from the LS inventory, but being a cheapo, I want to use a newsletter

discount coupon, and take advantage of the free shipping option. I know you don't want to discount things like the

Beginner's Kit and other specials, and I suspect (I hope) you are going to give us a special intro discount on the

New Product item mentioned elsewhere. I'd like to just make one order to get the shipping and use the discount

coupon, but I don't know if you are set up to allow the coupon to just apply to the "regular" merchandise and not

the "specials" that you don't want to discount if I use the regular LS shopping cart (and I can undersatnd why you

want that. After all you gotta eat too.)

What's the best way to do a mixed order (regular priced items plus

Specials like the TGIF's) if I want to use a discount coupon and the free ship option?

Good question, I'd like to know

too. I always split my order, but I pay for shipping on both orders (unless one is free due to being over one

hundred). Basically I pay the shipping and handling on the TGIF order and then ask it to be combined with the first

discount coupon order. I wish there was a way to have the TGIF be blocked from the coupon use so I only have to

place one order.

No discount coupons on the combos

though on *rare* occasion I might lower the combo price with a sale price discount. There is theoretically a way to

limit the ocupons to ONLY discounting certain selected products. I tried it though on a recent coupon and it end up

eliminating products seemingly at random. In any case, please do not use discount coupon coupons on the combos

(TGIF/weekend)

B
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

If they wanted to make a big

order that included both discountable and non-discountable items and use the discount coupon for what they could,

could they contact LS by phone and have it handled that way?
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Unfortunately, communication with

the phone center is limited and it would be very difficult to have them keep up with the rapidly changing specials.

I feel lucky when I am able to get them updated with a new product. So, there are really no specials or coupons by

phone at all to my knowledge.

B
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce
    Unfortunately,

communication with the phone center is limited and it would be very difficult to have them keep up with the rapidly

changing specials. I feel lucky when I am able to get them updated with a new product. So, there are really no

specials or coupons by phone at all to my knowledge.

B
    Sorry, I may not have made my question as clear

as I should. I meant to find out how to make an order via the on-line shopping cart, not the phone order desk.

As near as I can tell, the on-line cart deducts from ALL of the ordered items if you type in a coupon code. Or am

I in error and it automatically skips the deductions on things like the already super-discounted Beginner's Kit for

example?

No discount coupons on

the combos though on *rare* occasion I might lower the combo price with a sale price discount. There is

theoretically a way to limit the ocupons to ONLY discounting certain selected products. I tried it though on a

recent coupon and it end up eliminating products seemingly at random. In any case, please do not use discount coupon

coupons on the combos (TGIF/weekend)

B
    Technology is sooo wonderful.... when it works...

So

I'm guessing that at this point we will have to do "split shipments" and make one order for "discountable" items,

and the other for "non-discountable" items. I'd sure like to find a way to combine into one package, and save

shipping costs.

It may also be more work for you guys at LS, but you may find it a good idea to specifically

mark each item and/or special in your catalog listings as "non-discountable" so us customers do it right.

Does

"non-discountable" apply to "Sale" items or just the specials and bundles for example. For example, if you have NPA

marked down from $29.95 to $24.95 like you do now.

It's only the "combos" that are not

discountable, and they are all clearly marked. Theoretically, we could automate everything and folks could just

relax and throw whatever they wanted in the cart, use whatever coupon they have, check out and only discountable

stuff would get discounted. It just isn't working at the moment, so we are on the honor system with the combos.

Sorry it's such a pain in the butt.

B

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene

It's only the "combos"

that are not discountable, and they are all clearly marked. Theoretically, we could automate everything and folks

could just relax and throw whatever they wanted in the cart, use whatever coupon they have, check out and only

discountable stuff would get discounted. It just isn't working at the moment, so we are on the honor system with

the combos. Sorry it's such a pain in the butt.

B
    Well I'll ask this as someone else will probably

want to know too.

Is there enough of a "personal touch" (eg real humans involved) with the shopping cart to be

able to figure out how to combine a discountable and non-discountable order from the same person into one shipment,

and maybe use the combined $ total to compute dsicounted or free shipping? Or are we just gong to have to make it a

point to make sure both orders are over $100 for the free shhipping option to kick in? (Somehow I don't think

you'd mind having bigger orders...)

On a slightly differnt note: what happens if we place an order that would

include a pre-order item that may not be in-stock (like a certain new product...). Does the price still contribute

to the order total when figuring shipping? Or will it have to be done as a separate order? And if we do pre-order

and item is not available, will balance be shipped or held till order complete? I can nit-pick even more but this

may be enough...

(Do I hear an exasperated sigh?)

We try to give the whole "system"

the personal touch, but without automation, we couldn't survive. The solution to the problem is to fix the system

which is already in place, but just doesn't work; ie: being able to specify which items a discount coupon can be

used for. We have a company overhauling the cart now. It is taking longer than expected unfortunately.

I'm not sure if I get you, but if we allow pre-orders, which is pretty rare, we have a ship date of only a

few days down the road clearly in sight. We would probably just hold the entire order.

Next, we try very

hard never to run out of anything, and if we do, get it off the site promptly so nobody can order it, again, unless

we have a ship date that is only a couple days away. It does happne sometimes that we ship an order without a

particular out-of-stock item that managed to get ordered. We ship that at our expense as soon as we

can.

Bruce

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene

I'm not sure if I

get you, but if we allow pre-orders, which is pretty rare, we have a ship date of only a few days down the road

clearly in sight. We would probably just hold the entire order.
    I was thinking specifically of the "new

product" you've been mentioning in another thread that is due in shortly, that you said you might consider taking

pre-orders for as soon as you got a tracking number.

Yeah, that is a good example.

Let's say we get a tracking number tomorrow, Friday. Then we would be in a position to say "Get your order in

today.... barring a Spring blizzard in Denver, your order will ship next Wednesday (or whatever the tracking tells

us). In such a case, whatever is included in that order will ship with the new product, on the promised

date.

B

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene

Here's how I once did it.

I placed a large order, with a discount coupon. It was over $ 100 - so shipping was free. Then I went back in, and

ordered "on sale/combo" items that were not elligible for the coupon. On those I paid a minimal amount of shipping

charges.

Both orders arrived combined in one box, and I was more than happy to pay the minimal shipping charges.

(What's $4 when you're ordering over $100 worth of product!)

Hope this helps - I will confess I didn't read

each and every post in this thread.

Thread Information