Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread: Happiness

Journeyman

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Quote Originally Posted by wood elf
    Hi Naughty:

Yes, I telephoned my parents early today. My father likes Belgareth and was hoping we would marry. My mother, as

mothers the world round do, is worried but happy. They will be here for the wedding. You would be required to tie my

father down to stop him from seeing his baby married. That was another reason to wait for fall. They will have time

to obtain VISAs and make arrangements.

Belgareth suggested West Virginia. He has made trips there for the fall

colors in the past. I have not seen either place but will learn more about the Squam Lake. Thank you for the

sugggestion.

With my research, teaching and adventures with Belgareth I have not seen many movies the past two

years. We will see it soon, I hope.

Our phone service is unique because Belgareth has his business in the

house and needs more capacity than DSL can provide. We have what is called a split T-1 line and through some magic

with that we can call almost anywhere for very little cost. Though I cannot imagine him begrudging me any expense

within reason. His generosity and support has made these last two years much the easiest of all my school years.

Thank you.

W. Elf
    Best of luck to both of you. As for your mother's worries, I have it on good

suspician he'll stick by you regardless of adversity.

Man of La Pancha

Quote Originally Posted by wood elf
    Belgareth

suggested West Virginia. He has made trips there for the fall colors in the past. I have not seen either place but

will learn more about the Squam Lake. Thank you for the sugggestion.
    West Virginia?!?!? Are you two

cousins? (As a native Pennsylvanian, I have to take a shot at WV whenever possible)

Seriously, though, if

you're in the area, you should take a trip to the nation's capital and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Louis
    Best of luck

to both of you. As for your mother's worries, I have it on good suspician he'll stick by you regardless of

adversity.
    Thank you, Sir Louis. My biggest fear is that when I get somewhat older she'll realize

what a bad deal she made and skip. I still haven't figured out why she puts up with me. As most people know,

I'm a grumpy old *%$#@
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho1188
    West

Virginia?!?!? Are you two cousins? (As a native Pennsylvanian, I have to take a shot at WV whenever

possible)

Seriously, though, if you're in the area, you should take a trip to the nation's capital and say hi.

We've been trying to find the time to get up there. She's never seen any of New England. I

prefer this time of the year or the fall, certainly don't want to visit the capitol in the middle of the summer.

There's another forum member who lives in that area I'd really like to meet and spend a few hours with as well.

Neither Wood Elf nor I have any use for ceremony. The commitment is between us and making promises before a

problematical diety is not going to change the commitment we have. Our wedding will be, as she said, for the parents

and guests.

I've been listening to Wood Elf and her friends and I think she may have a point about the women

she knows. One lady made the remark that she didn't understand why we didn't just go to the justice of the peace

and be done with it. Several others agreed with her. I think she'd prefer that if her mother wouldn't have a fit

over it.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Congratulations you two!

I

didn't find the thread until now. Bel told me the good news on the phone today. He has his head so far up in the

clouds, it was hard to carry on a coherent conversation. :-)

We're all invited, right? :-)

Congrats

again! Looks like a match made in heaven.

Bruce
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

Thanks Bruce. But be nice, I

was no more incoherent than any other time.

Certainly, everybody is welcome. Everybody wear your best mone

mix. It could be entertaining.

Thomas Jefferson

Man of La Pancha

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    We've been

trying to find the time to get up there. She's never seen any of New England. I prefer this time of the year or the

fall, certainly don't want to visit the capitol in the middle of the summer. There's another forum member who

lives in that area I'd really like to meet and spend a few hours with as well.

Neither Wood Elf nor I have any

use for ceremony. The commitment is between us and making promises before a problematical diety is not going to

change the commitment we have. Our wedding will be, as she said, for the parents and guests.

I've been

listening to Wood Elf and her friends and I think she may have a point about the women she knows. One lady made the

remark that she didn't understand why we didn't just go to the justice of the peace and be done with it. Several

others agreed with her. I think she'd prefer that if her mother wouldn't have a fit over it.
    It's nice

and in the 70s here this time of year...

Thanks for the stories, by the way. I find that fascinating (and

helpful because maybe I'll find someone who will save me thousands of dollars and hours of discomfort...there's

hope for me yet!). Wood Elf, do you have any stories or several accounts of these women actually doing it (if I

remember, you spoke of "plans" over actions, but I'm sure you can name a few who have gone through with their

plans)? I'm just curious (and hopeful...then again, I think anyone who I would fall in love with would probably

want a huge wedding knowing my luck).

Few of my friends have married.

Many of those that have are far from home and family. No friend of mine has had a big wedding here at university.

Do you search for a bride? Women here complain of few men who are willing to date or marry an educated woman. Once

they discover she may be as smart as them or has strong career potential they go away. More than one has complained

that the men she has dated try to show they are smarter. Male ego kills many relationships. Be wary of that and

respect a woman for her abilities. We work as hard as the men, often we work harder. We want respect for what we can

accomplish.

Journeyman

Default Congrats!

I've been away

for a little while.. but Congrats to both of you!! that's just so awesome!

Journeyman

Thanks

Bruce. But be nice, I was no more incoherent than any other time.

Certainly, everybody is welcome. Everybody

wear your best mone mix. It could be entertaining.
    OMG!! can you imagine that!?!?! beautiful

surroundings.. beautiful mone mixes..! everyone so happy!! it would be a deliciously dangerous spot for anyone!

sounds like fun!!!

oh.. maybe you guys can give mone mixes as a reception/guest gift.. they

could even put it on at the party..

It's

nice and in the 70s here this time of year...

Thanks for the stories, by the way. I find that fascinating (and

helpful because maybe I'll find someone who will save me thousands of dollars and hours of discomfort...there's

hope for me yet!). Wood Elf, do you have any stories or several accounts of these women actually doing it (if I

remember, you spoke of "plans" over actions, but I'm sure you can name a few who have gone through with their

plans)? I'm just curious (and hopeful...then again, I think anyone who I would fall in love with would probably

want a huge wedding knowing my luck).
    Well... I think it all depends on whether it's a first wedding or a

second. For a first wedding the parents usually put a lot of pressure on the couple to have a "formal event". If

it's a second wedding here's a good thought - It's oficially called a "destination wedding". Pick a nice spot to

go on your honeymoon to, and then find an all-inclusive hotel/resort that offers weddings. That's what we did.

Tropical island - wedding on the beach - dress as formal or informal as you wish - get out of those clothes and go

have fun! It was sooo stress-free.

There's the plan - now all you have to do is find the bride. Piece of

cake!

Anybody who believes weddings

are for the bride and groom has never been there or done that. You got it right, Naughty. "The parents put a lot of

pressure on..." Even the gown is going to be a fight. Mother talks about this fancy gown and bride says "Uh, huh.

I'll pick out my dress BY MYSELF!"

Wood Elf isn't interested in a formal event even though this is her first

and was forced to put her foot down with her mother. Or should I say on her mother, such as on her neck? It finally

boiled down to "It's my wedding! We'll do it my way or we'll just go get married without you." I really think

she'd have done it too.

Her idea is maybe a dozen or so people in the woods with a soft flute or harp in the

background. I'm staying out of it. A quiet ceremony is just fine with me.

Oh, Naughty. We checked out Squam

Lake. There's even an inn called "On Golden Pond". Several other small places with cottages too. We have info

coming in the mail. It seems a little far to go from here but we'll see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thomas Jefferson

Man of La Pancha

Thanks for the responses,

guys.

You must go out with quality women, Bel. I must hang around "princesses" or something because they all

have their dream weddings planned out already. They've picked out their dresses in most cases even if they don't

have a boyfriend. They let out a dreamy sigh when they hear about others' wedding plans, and they talk about

flowers, musicians, dresses, locations, husbands, bridesmaid dresses...let me make it simple: have you ever seen the

end of Clueless? That's how a lot of the women I know have acted to wedding discussions.

Pancho,

You should know

better by now than to ask if I've seen a movie or TV show. The last time we went to a movie, other than one we

rented, was when Shreck <sp?> opened. I haven't watched TV since you were starting elementary school and don't

have cable or an antenna. We have far too many other things going to waste time with that. The only reason I have

been here so many evenings lately is that Wood Elf is teaching a night class. Otherwise we would be out doing things

or playing games or something interesting. I'm getting some of my backlogged paperwork done at the same time as

talking here.

You don't really want to hear the disparaging remarks she makes about those women who sigh so

fondly over such things. For her, they are unimportant. The women who come around here almost all hold graduate

degrees in the sciences. They do talk about normal things and giggle together but they don't spend much time on

frippery. Wood Elf rarely even wears make up! I don't think she needs it, she has a nice complexion including the

freckles. But that's another subject.

Ok, I admit that she's and her friends are a bit odd but I prefer them

smart as hell.

Thomas Jefferson

Man of La Pancha

Wood Elf

rarely even wears make up!
    Now you're speaking my language. If you back out of this, Bel, give her my

number. (that's supposed to be a compliment to your judgement and her quality---as warped as it may be)

Man of La Pancha

Ok, I admit

that she's and her friends are a bit odd but I prefer them smart as hell.
    Who isn't odd? Besides, I

prefer smart and odd over dumb and superficial.

Now you're

speaking my language. If you back out of this, Bel, give her my number. (that's supposed to be a compliment

to your judgement and her quality---as warped as it may be)
    I am sorry Pancho. You are too young for my

taste. I do not rob cradles

Odd may not be the right term. We have other concerns and interests than

make up and hairstyles. I do things to maintain my appearance but not to the degree that some others do. It seems

pointless to hide my skin under a layer of what is composed of oil, dirt and artificial colors. I do not like my

freckles but others seem to think they are attractive. Who knows why men think the way they do?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2

Thread Information