Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    King of the coupons!

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Quote Originally Posted by wood elf
    Smell alone can

make me decide to not sleep with a man if it is not acceptable. The belief that I may be willing to sleep with a man

is made before he is close enough to smell. Many other factors must come into play. Is he a real man or some phony

putting on an act? Is he attractive. Does he seem like a gentleman? Does he have a nice smile and a real laugh? Is

he mean spirited? Many more things but smell is one small piece. people in this country likes to wash away and

conceal so much that is natural in a person's scent that it does not play the same role it may play in other

places.
    However, Sir and Elf, it is totally possible, maybe not for you, or her, but for the next woman.

Per example, I've stayed out of the discussion of men talking to women in a certain way, 'cause the women here

say, no way, no how, will that work on a real woman, but, in fact, it does. Maybe not on all women, but that's like

the kissing of a neck doesn't bring out the same reaction in ALL women. But, if you ask these same women that

it worked on, if that would work, they'd laugh and say, "hell no!" If you understand what I'm trying to say here.

So, as someone always says, I think it was Friendly1, the mileage may vary, annnd, it does.
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

I met my fiance over the

internet, so I never got to smell him, of course. He doesn't wear cologne and doesn't need to. I think a lot has

to do with his diet (no pork nor beef and mostly fruits and vegetables). It was a year before I ever got to see

what he looked like. So if smell and looks did not play a role in our relationship wonder what did? That's okay,

you don't need to answer cause I already know the answer.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by culturalblonde
    I met my

fiance over the internet, so I never got to smell him, of course. He doesn't wear cologne and doesn't need to. I

think a lot has to do with his diet (no pork nor beef and mostly fruits and vegetables). It was a year before I ever

got to see what he looked like. So if smell and looks did not play a role in our relationship wonder what did?

That's okay, you don't need to answer cause I already know the answer.
    Well, I meant those

situations where you encounter someone that isn't otherwise interesting but you feel a compelling sexual magnetism

toward them, that if they wanted to sleep with you, it would be hard or even painful to resist, even if you were

deeply emotionally involved with another partner.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by MOBLEYC57
    However, Sir

and Elf, it is totally possible, maybe not for you, or her, but for the next woman.

Per example, I've stayed

out of the discussion of men talking to women in a certain way, 'cause the women here say, no way, no how, will

that work on a real woman, but, in fact, it does. Maybe not on all women, but that's like the kissing of a neck

doesn't bring out the same reaction in ALL women. But, if you ask these same women that it worked on, if that

would work, they'd laugh and say, "hell no!" If you understand what I'm trying to say here. So, as someone

always says, I think it was Friendly1, the mileage may vary, annnd, it does.
    I definitely agree that

certain women are much more sexually responsive to stimuli than others, which is a genetic factor. A lot of us

who've used pheromones have ran into them.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by wood elf
    Smell alone

can make me decide to not sleep with a man if it is not acceptable.
    Good points all around. Not all of

us experience it often, or even realize it, though, that smell can override all those factors. I however, experience

it all the time, and I can't identify one single thing that a female can do to compare with that overpowering

sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    How did you

determine it wasn't any one of those reasons you listed?
    Still curious...
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Still

curious...
    One of the most recent studies to sensibly support the observations/conclusions of Sir

Louis (and others) comes from Rachel Herz, who also concluded from other works that a partner's natural body odor

is the most important factor with regards to a woman's selection of a mate. This more recent study goes much

further with regards to the biology that supports her

findings.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...br /> 4670575

Re: Psychology/biology? Again, there is no direct biological link from visual input (or any

other non-olfactory sensory input) to hormonal changes in the brain. If you ignore this direct link to hormonal

changes, you can argue for a variety of other approaches to the study of how the social environment influences

mammalian sexual behavior, including human sexual behavior. This ignorance explains why many people and most

psychologists have (for centuries) ignored the influence of pheromones on human sexual behavior, and why, even

today, many psychologists fail to understand the relative impact of odor on sexual behavior as compared with other

sensory input.

JVK

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis
    ...the

psychological study of the role of emotions and cognition in directing human behavior are intersecting, yet very

different fields of study. JVK's pheromone paper is relevant to one aspect of the latter, but does not even

remotely represent a kind of survey or review of that field.
    For those who don't know: my 2001

Neuroendocrinology Letters "pheromone" paper is an invited review (of that field) and won an award for integrating

neuroendocrinology and ethology.

“No support for the primacy of affect was found” in

this recent study, for example:

http://www.lib.ccu.edu.tw/indoor/jou

rnal/jnccu/v6s2_6.htm
    [/color]
    The URL above links to a 1995 paper published

in:
    Journal of National Chung Cheng University Sec. II: Social Sciences

It is often difficult to compare

disparate stands, but rarely as comical.

JVK

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jvkohl
    For those who

don't know: my 2001 Neuroendocrinology Letters "pheromone" paper is an invited review (of that field) and won an

award for integrating neuroendocrinology and ethology.
    Again, JVK's paper is a literature review about

pheromones and their effect on hormones, not about the psychology of emotion and cognition.

It may have won

an award
    , but it was in a different field. This is indeed "comical."

Ethology is the "zoological study of

animal behavior"
    (from an ethology site), in case readers didn't know. I am assuming people know what

neuroendocrinology is.

But the point was the topic of JVK's paper. If people want to learn about the relation

of emotions and cognition in general; and their effect on human behavior, they have to look elsewhere. JVK portrayed

his paper as "the most relevant review of research" in this field, after making a contentious and unsupported

claim about emotions versus thoughts in influencing human behavior in general. That was a claim about basic

psychology.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvkohl
    The URL above links to a 1995 paper published in:
    Journal of National Chung Cheng

University Sec. II: Social Sciences

It is often difficult to compare disparate stands, but rarely as

comical.
    This paper was from an APA conference (American Psychological Association), happened to be handy on

the web, presented an original empirical study, and is to the point.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 04-11-2005 at 01:33 PM.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

JVK,

Thanks for your

comment but that still did not answer the question of how Sir Louis came to his conclusions. I strongly suspect that

he is using the wag system and really has no clue what he is talking about, right or wrong.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by InACharmedLife
    Yikes,

just call me the can o' worms opener! Sorry, all!

Anyway, back to my interest in starting this thread;

JVK, would it be possible for you to accept pre-orders (pre-payments) on special order bottles of JUST Astrid

Jutte's exact copulin formula? No additives, no fragrances, no formula changes.
    I would preorder a few bottles and

I think other women here might do so, too.
    If we presented a large enough group pre-order, would it then be

feasible for you to supply us with Jutte's unadulterated copulin formula?
    Thanks for considering this!

Charmed,

I think the answer lies in the 1,000 bottle minimum. Maybe we'll have to do a mass-mailing to every

female in our e-mail address book? Or buy 1,000 bottles and become distributors?

Journeyman

JVK,

Thanks for your comment but that still did not answer the question of how Sir Louis came to his conclusions. I

strongly suspect that he is using the wag system and really has no clue what he is talking about, right or

wrong.
    I didn't bother responding to your question because it is obvious you didn't actually read what

I wrote, or tried to understand both sides of the dialogue, for that matter. Instead of throwing an insult, you

could actually research the topic and see why that conclusion is valid. It is more obvious to some people than to

others on a personal level, I guess.

(Wag system?)

Actually I read it quite

thoroughly, that's why I asked you where you got your conclusions. I am interested in learning more, if you have

some source other than your opinion as a layman, please share it.

Do you find offense in my comment after you

started throwing insults at others in the first place then couldn't show the courtesy of answering an honest

question? That's not my problem, deal with it.

Thomas Jefferson

Journeyman

Actually I

read it quite thoroughly, that's why I asked you where you got your conclusions, I am interested in learning more,

if you have some source other than your opinion as a layman, please share it.
    In the animal world, sexual

behavior is determined by reducible factors, humans have much more complex social/sexual behavior, and these

heavily influence who we have meaningful relationships with, however, these 'lower-level' behaviors and

triggers are still primary motivators in our lives, though some of us may be aware of this much more than others.

Even in the absence of research and evidence, it would be very surprising that these don't play a primary role in

our modern interactions. In any case, it is continuing to be backed up by evidence, as Kohl routinely points out.

Do you find offense in my comment after you started throwing insults at others in the first place then

couldn't show the courtesy of answering an honest question? That's not my problem, deal with it.
    I

answered it, I hope it clears up what I meant. You now can answer a burning question of mine, who did I insult?

You really didn't answer the

question. You said:
    "Because of the way they look? No. Their personality? No. That person's social status? No.

Their family history? No. What else could cause such a sudden lack of self-control, replaced by a horomonal,

imperitive need?"
    I asked:
    "How did you determine it wasn't any one of those reasons you listed?"
    The argument

you cite is one half of a debate that has been running for two or three years that I know of. I have followed up

innumerable links and references from each of them. The biology crowd makes one set of arguments, the psych crowd

makes another set of arguments. After hours of reading both I have yet to read, see or hear anything that is

conclusive enough to accept such a sweeping statement as yours. The only expert source you have mentioned so far has

been your personal experience and that is exceedingly weak from anybody. So, I ask you again, other than your

opinion, do you have references or other sources you can cite or is that your opinion only? Are you a layman or are

you a professional in one of the fields these two gentlemen are discussing?

No, you probably don't consider

your blah blah blah following your quote of DrSmellThis insulting. Maybe it wasn't, only rude. Why did you delete

it? I don't honestly remember your other comment, the one I deleted but it was insulting or I wouldn't have

deleted it.

Just so you understand why I asked in the first place. Both JVKohl and DST are pros in their field.

I don't honestly know Mr. Kohl's education but his writing is well recieved within his discipline and sometimes

outside it. DST has a Ph.D in psychology and many years experience as a therapist and researcher. Both of them have

earned respect and neither should be derided by childish pot shots like "Blah, blah, blah" especially by an

amature.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Louis
    In his reply to

DrSmellTHIS
    I understand you have a strong need to invalidate the man's work, but please at least stay on the

same playing field?
    Some of these [JVK's] statements in the past have

had dangerous implications for our understanding of people and the field of psychology, such as statements implying

that psychologists often hurt children as a matter of course in their counseling.
    I don't recall

saying psychologists often hurt children when I commented on the 9 y/o girl that was killed by psychologists who

believed that "rebirthing therapy" would be beneficial--based upon psychobabble spouted by psychologist: Arthur

Janov--whose book "The Biology of Love" I reviewed for the Journal of Sex Research. Here's the URL for the

review.
    http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...38/ai_84866962

You'd hate to see people not get their troubled kids help because of a statement like that, especially when such a

statement is spoken with an "air of authority." So as long as I'm here, I'm going to say something about these

kinds of things; just like if I were a physician, I'd respond if someone said smoking was not hazardous to your

health.
    What I hate to see is anyone else subjecting their child to a potentially deadly treatment

proposed by some moronic psychologist who thinks he knows what ridiculous methods will help the child. That's why I

wrote such a scathing book review. I am able to speak with authority because it was my standing in sexuality

research that led to being asked to author a review of the book. Get it? Author/authority, not "air of

authority."

If you were a physician, you make obvious the fact that you would not respond as have other

physicians (psychiatrists) who have banded together to expose "experts" like Arthur (I want my mommy!) Janov, author

of "The Primal Scream" and 11 other books. At least two of his followers are now in prison. I can only hope that no

other murderous treatments are required to sound the "wake-up" call for others.

Since

I'm the only psychologist around here, it unfortunately has fallen on me to protect readers from confusion about

psychology.
    I agree that this is unfortunate. First, because you remain anonymous by using a moniker,

so there is no way for most folks to determine whether you are qualified to offer your opinions. Second, you are

confused.

... JVK typically becomes more arrogant in the face of any kind of negative

feedback, constructive or otherwise.
    Actually, I simply try to respond appropriately to your ongoing

escalation of issues that have no place on this Forum. The unconscious affect of pheromones on hormones influences

sexual behavior. You constantly confuse the basis for the discussion of human pheromones with aspects of psychology

that have minimal bearing on human sexuality.

But you feel some responsibility to

protect the integrity of your field as a professional,...
    You could better represent yourself as an

anonymous person who may or may not be a professional in some area of

expertise.

JVK

Journeyman

The argument you cite

is one half of a debate that has been running for two or three years that I know of. I have followed up innumerable

links and references from each of them. The biology crowd makes one set of arguments, the psych crowd makes another

set of arguments.
    Debate between whom? Nobody has been debating the issue except researchers, there is no

"sides" either except in your imagination. The debates on these forums are loose, qualitative affairs, trying to

establish consistency with certain products that contain compounds that have a potential positive social benefit.

After hours of reading both I have yet to read, see or hear anything that is conclusive enough

to accept such a sweeping statement as yours.
    If you truly did, then it would seem obvious which has been

based on sound assumption, logic and increasingly evidence and which is not.

The only expert

source you have mentioned so far has been your personal experience and that is exceedingly weak from anybody. So, I

ask you again, other than your opinion, do you have references or other sources you can cite or is that your opinion

only? Are you a layman or are you a professional in one of the fields these two gentlemen are discussing?
    No, you

probably don't consider your blah blah blah following your quote of DrSmellThis insulting. Maybe it wasn't, only

rude.

Just so you understand why I asked in the first place. Both JVKohl and DST are pros in their field.

I don't honestly know Mr. Kohl's education but his writing is well recieved within his discipline and sometimes

outside it. DST has a Ph.D in psychology and many years experience as a therapist and researcher. Both of them have

earned respect and neither should be derided by childish pot shots like "Blah, blah, blah" especially by an

amature.
    How do you know DST has a Ph.D? What accredited university did he publish his dissertation at?

If I had a dollar for every crank Ph.D out there using their credentials to justify nonsense, I could probably

buy a new workstation. I am not even an "amatuer" (odd choice of words), just someone with a high school level

education who paid a bit more attention in class about the scientific method and can recognize the better of two

arguments. But my comments here stem from personal observations and questions:

- Instant attraction to

strangers I did not find appealing, one of whom was a heavyset woman in an elevator, who was in a light sweat.

Why?
    - I work around many attractive women yet some of them (who are athletic) seemingly repel me, wheres others

don't. Again, I could clearly tell the source is olfaction. Why?
    - In all of these situations smell overrides

other factors and triggers a sexual reponse distinct and more powerful than other stimuli.

I should point

out another female poster in this thread affirmed the same thing. The truth is we are still more like animals than

we are aware. As for being rude to DST, it is quite rude making straw-man arguments and then goading someone else

with endless rhetoric. To his credit, he has one of the most well thought-out and interesting products on this site,

but his responses to Kohl are laughable, and at times appear as simple antagonization. My sincerest apologies if

"Blah blah blah blah" caused any suffering, despite how apt it undoubtedly was. I'll end this post with a question

though, if it hasn't been touched on. Could appearence simply function as a way to draw someone closer until they

can get a whiff of you?
    Last edited by Sir Louis; 05-09-2005 at 06:57 AM.

If I had a

dollar for every crank Ph.D out there using their credentials to justify nonsense... [I'm] just someone with a high

school level education who paid a bit more attention in class about the scientific method and can recognize the

better of two arguments. ... The truth is we are still more like animals than we are aware. As for being rude to

DST, it is quite rude making straw-man arguments and then goading someone else with endless rhetoric. ... his

responses to Kohl are laughable, and at times appear as simple antagonization.
    Well said, Sir Louis.

I'm posting a few exerpts from this thread to demonstrate the

antagonism.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    jvkohl
    Once the conscious odor

association is made there is no way to predict the response, since any response will be based upon thought

processes. Unconscious affect is a more powerful influence on behavior than are thought processes.

DrSmellThis:
    The body of research in psychology indicates quite the opposite is true… you should be much

more careful before attempting sweeping generalizations about human psychology (unless identified as just opinions);

and at least consult relevant research in the field.

jvkohl: I don't need to consult it; I wrote it

DrSmellThis
    JVK's pheromone paper... does not even remotely represent a kind of survey or review of that

field.

jvkohl … my 2001 Neuroendocrinology Letters "pheromone" paper is an invited review (of that field

[pheromones]) and won an award for integrating neuroendocrinology and ethology.

DrSmellThis
    Again, JVK's

paper is a literature review about pheromones and their effect on hormones, not about the psychology of emotion and

cognition. It may have won an award, but it was in a different field.

------------------------------------------------------------
    This discourse and the summary of my review by

DrSmellThis clearly illustrates our differences. I post authoritative biologically based opinions, which he counters

with comparatively anonymous and condescending rhetoric. In this manner, he has attempted to change the focus from

pheromones and their unconscious affect on human sexual behavior to emotion and cognition using lengthy and vague

ramblings about psychology.

As Sir Louis noted early in this thread DrSmellThis appears to have a strong

need to invalidate my work. Many other psychologists have entered earnest debates with me, without trying to

belittle me or my work. The difference between DrSmellThis and others seems to be that he wants to establish himself

as an authority on the topic of human pheromones. I have a limited amount of time for such foolishness, and have

reached my limit, for now.

JVK

Debate between

whom? Nobody has been debating the issue except researchers, there is no "sides" either except in your imagination.

The debates on these forums are loose, qualitative affairs, trying to establish consistency with certain products

that contain compounds that have a potential positive social benefit.
    I refer to the ongoing argument

between you and DST, I thought that was obvious.

If you truly did, then it would seem obvious which has been

based on sound assumption, logic and increasingly evidence and which is not.
    How do you know

DST has a Ph.D? What accredited university did he publish his dissertation at?
    I happen to know who he is in

the real world. Take my word or not, it doesn't matter.
    If I had a dollar for every crank Ph.D

out there using their credentials to justify nonsense, I could probably buy a new DV workstation. I am not even an

"amatuer" (odd choice of words), just someone with a high school level education who paid a bit more attention in

class about the scientific method and can recognize the better of two arguments. But my comments here stem from

personal observations and questions:

- Instant attraction to strangers I did not find appealing, one of whom

was a heavyset woman in an elevator, who was in a light sweat. Why?
    - I work around many attractive women yet some

of them (who are athletic) seemingly repel me, wheres others don't. Again, I could clearly tell
    the source is

olfaction. Why?
    - In all of these situations smell overrides other factors and triggers a sexual reponse distinct

and more powerful than other stimuli.

I should point out another female poster in this thread affirmed the same

thing. The truth is we are still more like animals than we are aware. As for being rude to DST, it is quite rude

making straw-man arguments and then goading someone else with endless rhetoric. To his credit, he has one of the

most well thought-out and interesting products on this site, but his responses to Kohl are laughable, and at times

appear as simple antagonization. My sincerest apologies if "Blah blah blah blah" caused any suffering, despite how

apt it undoubtedly was. I'll end this post with a question though, if it hasn't been touched on. Could appearence

simply function as a way to draw someone closer until they can get a whiff of you?
    You can judge the merits

of their debate based on your high school education as oppossed to having researched both subjects? My biggest issue

with both their arguments is they are seemingly unwilling to bend an inch either way. I do not doubt the instant

attraction and have made comments on the forum several times about it but I do doubt it controls our actions to the

degree sugggested.

Of course appearance could do that. You mention the one woman, why do you also ignore the

other who met her husband over the internet? Haven't seen a scratch and sniff web site yet, have you? I'll have to

ask her to be more specific but I believe my girlfriend had already decided about me before getting close to me.

There is a huge body of information out there and many crackpots, both with and without Ph.D's. Personally Mr.

Kohls' product has done very little for me despite having used two bottles of it in careful tests. It works for

many others, though. Go out and do some studying, then come back with some real arguments rather than hyperbole and

uneducated judgments.

As for the rest, both get pretty silly with their arguments and personal attacks. I've

had to edit or move several threads because they went so far afield. It does not give you any reason to start with

the same thing.

Thomas Jefferson

... I do not

doubt the instant attraction and have made comments on the forum several times about it but I do doubt it controls

our actions to the degree sugggested...

Of course appearance could do that. You mention the one woman, why

do you also ignore the other who met her husband over the internet?
    I hope you don't mind me

stepping in here:

I've commented before on love at first sight versus growing affection in the absence of

visual input. What some people still fail to realize is that pheromones elicit unconsious affect and cause hormonal

changes from the day we are born. These changes rewire the brain throughout life. Before puberty our sexual response

cycle has been conditioned by olfactory input; we have unknowingly developed preferences for characteristics that we

find appealing based on experiences with the natural body odor of other people (again, from the day we are born).

The example I continue to use is a comparison with the development of food preferences, based upon the chemical

appeal of the food (not the visual appeal).

I don't know why people find it so hard to make the connection

to olfactory conditioning of hormones involved in mate choice, when there is so much evidence that says olfactory

input conditions what we find visual appealing both in food and in mate choice. In human studies, this has been

shown to occur for genetically determined characteristics associated with tissue type. People choose for olfactory

indicators of tissue type; those that bloodhounds sniff out when trained for tracking scent signatures. We cannot

discriminate among these differences using visual input; only olfactory input, which means our choices for these

genetically determined characteristics are not based on visual input.

Of course, we can consciously over-ride

unconscious affect. But we do so at risk of making choices that make happiness in a relationship very difficult to

achieve.

Finally, the difference between food preferences and mate preferences is that mate preferences are

usually different in males and females. You cannot, biologically, get to a sex difference in choice without first

having a sex difference in the processing of input, and a sex difference in the result of the processing (e.g.,

hormonal change.) That's why mammalian mate choice, including human mate choice, cannot biologically be based on

visual input. If there is a sex difference in the way males and females process visual input from the social

environment, no one has found it. If this difference is ever found, it must also be directly linked to sex

differences in hormonal changes before linking the difference, biologically, to behavior. On the other hand,

psychologically, you can link just about anything to anything.

JVK

Thanks, I appreciate the

feedback. The only point I will dispute, mostly because of my lack of training in either field, is the implied value

of psycology in understanding why humans make the choices they make. Completely eliminating observations made under

stringent testing protocols because they conflict with another discipline or belief is bad science.

In the

several years I've been reading your work I have learned many things either from you or the resources you quote and

will probably learn quite a bit more. At the same time, I have learned as much from the sources and arguments from

DST. You've both been a great benefit to me. My point here is in keeping an open mind, our knowledge is not so

great as to be able to eliminate other possible sources of information. Nor does it give me the right to ridicule

either of you or your professional fields, you have both worked hard for your professional standing. The thing I

most hate about the discussions between you two is how they always digress into stupid personal insults towards each

other.

I hope to see many more interesting, informative and constructive discussions from both you and DST but

do hope they can be kept more professional.

Thomas Jefferson

Journeyman

I refer to

the ongoing argument between you and DST, I thought that was obvious.
    DST "argues" with Kohl. Actually it

looks more like a Chiuwawa nipping at someone else's ankles, but you are an admin, and I really need to watch what

I write, don't I?

I happen to know who he is in the real world. Take my word or not, it

doesn't matter.
    Somehow I guessed you were friends early on. Must be a non-reducible clairvoyant impression

I had. Free will and all that.

Oh, I'm really a neurologist and a biochemist by the way. I was

kidding about the high school education bit. I'm also a member of the Knights Templar, look at my username. But

seriously, I'll let someone else question DST about the validity of the credentials he claims, (preferably

everytime he starts humping a real sex researcher's leg, who does have credentials, published research, and bothers

to sign his own bloody name to boot).

My biggest issue with both their arguments is

they are seemingly unwilling to bend an inch either way.
    Your biggest issue is you think DST represents

the opinion of actual psychologists.
    You are unwilling to accept DST is talking nonsense because you are

friends with him. The odd fact alone he chooses to remain anonymous should bring into question if he is a

legitimate psychologist.

So I ask again, what university did he graduate from? What was his

dissertation? Still curious.

Of course appearance could do that. You mention the one

woman, why do you also ignore the other who met her husband over the internet?
    Because that has nothing to

do with the cause of purely sexual attraction among strangers in our daily lives. The way someone looks or acts

assumes reproductive fitness. I would guess this functions as a way to draw them closer.

Personally Mr. Kohls' product has done very little for me despite having used two bottles of it in

careful tests.
    I haven't noticed anything spectacular using it either. I do notice that it does make

people friendlier in a way that cologne doesn't, which is crucial in business dealings, and justifies the cost.

It works for many others, though. Go out and do some studying, then come back with some

real arguments rather than hyperbole and uneducated judgments.
    Kohl is the only one here making supportable

or rational arguments, period. I was just trying to make it clear as opposed to DST's rubbish, smell being primary

is observable in some situations in our daily lives, if we bother to look. As for education, you continue to not

realize this research falls with sociobiology, not psychology. Who do you think is more likely to understand the

question, a biologist, or Dr.Phil?

You idiotically assign a "side" to this as if it was a religious

debate, and pretend DST is a psychologist (he could be), and represents the study of psychology. The truth is he is

arguing for the sake of arguing, and writing a mountain of rhetorical declarations, signifying nothing. A proper

debate between professionals doesn't look like what DST writes. In reality, therapy techniques could stand to

benefit in countless ways by understanding the sociobiological mechanisms behind human sexual behavior more clearly.

I'm sure Freud would have agreed.
    Last edited by Sir Louis; 04-12-2005 at 01:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir

Louis
    DST "argues" with Kohl. Actually it appears more like a Chiuwawa nipping at someone else's ankles, but you

are an admin, and I really need to watch what I write, don't I?

I couldn't care

less if you are rude to me. To put it bluntly, you aren't significant enough for me to care what you think of me.

If you hope that your sarcasm is going to irritate me, you are going to have to try harder. Oh, the word is

mod-er-at-or, like it says under my name on the left. For those with problems with big words mod will

do.

Somehow I guessed you were friends early on.

Must be a non-reducible clairvoyant impression I had. Free will and all that.

For one so (allegedly) well educated you seem singularly weak in reading comprehension. I

have not said either was wrong or right and have no intention of doing so. As I have said, I don't have the

education in either area to make those judgments. It is also not my place to make those

judgments.

Oh, I'm really a neurologist and a

biochemist by the way. I was kidding about the high school education bit. I'm also a member of the Knights Templar,

look at my username. But seriously, I'll let someone else question DST about the validity of the credentials he

claims, (preferably every time he starts humping a real sex researcher's leg, who does have credentials, published

research, and bothers to sign his own bloody name to boot).

Congratulations on your education, if it's true, in any case. (Not an accusation just

applying your own standards.) I’m proud of you. Now give yourself a nice pat on the head. Yes, as a matter of fact,

I am being sarcastic. How perceptive of you to notice. It’s called responding in kind, do you need that

defined?

How does your education qualify you to judge the merits

of psychology? I do not recall that he ever claimed to be a sex researcher but I may have missed that. Could you let

me know where you saw it?

Why should he give his real name in a

forum where the convention is to use a handle? Does he not have the same right and expectation of privacy as any of

the rest of us? I don’t see you attacking any other poster, some of whom have made some pretty outrageous claims,

for concealing their identity. Do you have some type of problem with his field that you must try to denigrate

professionals in that field in order to bolster your own ego? Have you bothered to read his body of work on the

forum or follow up the references he provides supporting his opinion? Or are you making your decisions based on a

single debate and your own personal bias?

It is awfully generous

of you to allow somebody else the privilege of making their own decisions. Not especially surprising that you came

to those conclusions in view of the discipline you claim. I've known few biologists who accept psychology; really a

rather common case of tunnel vision. Your attitude is pretty classic.

Louis

You are unwilling to accept DST is talking nonsense because you are friends with him.

The odd fact alone he chooses to remain anonymous should bring into question if he is a legitimate

psychologist.

So I ask again, what

university did he graduate from? What was his dissertation? Still curious.

Bluntly put pure crap and hyperbole in a vain effort to reinforce your point of view

through misdirection. Sad that one of your (claimed) education resorts to such things. A long time before we became

friends and even before I joined this forum I learned to pay careful attention to both sides of any debate and

suspend judgment. You are free and welcome to question his credentials but your suspicious and narrow minded

attitude makes me wonder about your own educational claims. Just for fun, try doing a search and see how many times

I have argued with DST.

Because that has nothing

to do with the cause of purely sexual attraction among strangers in our daily lives. The way someone looks or acts

assumes reproductive fitness. I would guess this functions as a way to draw them closer.

I haven't noticed anything spectacular using it either. I do notice that it does make

people friendlier in a way that cologne doesn't, which is crucial in business dealings, and justifies the cost.

True enough if it really works for you. Since your observations are purely

subjective and as a (alleged) scientist you surely understand the flaws there, I rather think it best to consider

your comments in that light.

Kohl is the only

one here making supportable or rational arguments, period. I was just trying to make it clear as opposed to DST's

rubbish, smell being primary is observable in some situations in our daily lives, if we bother to look. As for

education, you continue to not realize this research falls with sociobiology, not psychology. Who do you think is

more likely to understand the question, a biologist, or Dr.Phil?

I refer you back to my questions and comments above.

Louis

You idiotically assign a "side" to this as if it was a religious debate, and pretend

DST is a psychologist (he could be), and represents the study of psychology. The truth is he is arguing for the sake

of arguing, and writing a mountain of rhetorical declarations, signifying nothing. A proper debate between

professionals doesn't look like what DST writes. In reality, therapy techniques could stand to benefit in countless

ways by understanding the sociobiological mechanisms behind human sexual behavior more clearly. I'm sure Freud

would have agreed.

Name calling now? I’m so disappointed in you. Do I need to define

debate for you or do you have a dictionary? Do you mind if I ask you a question in the sincere hope that you answer

it? How do you feel about a person who uses factual misrepresentation to support their side of a discussion? If I

could demonstrate several cases of it, how would that affect your point of view?

I do not claim expertise in any of the matters those two debate and I don’t in any

way misrepresent my knowledge or the facts, something I have seen a lot of in this thread. Then you have the

temerity to act as if I do not believe DST credentials. I’ve noticed that dishonest people also do that a lot, try

to drag others down to their level. All I am saying is that your sarcasm from the very start has been unwarranted

and inappropriate. The scientific professionals I know and have known throughout my life would not resort to such

tactics. If science has declined so from the days of my involvement in it, I am deeply saddened.

Thomas Jefferson

King of the coupons!

Thumbs up

Doc Mobley, Phd. here,

just wanted to say, "Doc, JVK, Sir L, Bel ... I appreciate all you guys and your disagreements.

Would

love to give all you guys a hug!

Stay the course!
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

Journeyman

All I am saying is that

your sarcasm from the very start has been unwarranted and inappropriate. The scientific professionals I know and

have known throughout my life would not resort to such tactics. If science has declined so from the days of my

involvement in it, I am deeply saddened.
    But I'm not a scientist, I'm a knight.

Why should he give his real name in a forum where the convention is to use a handle? Does he not have the

same right and expectation of privacy as any of the rest of us? I don’t see you attacking any other

poster...
    He claims to be a psychologist. I have a suspicion that he isn't because he demonstrates a

cosmic lack of professionalism:

A) He uses an anonymous handle yet claims to be a legitimate Ph.D.

B) He antagonizes and makes baseless assertions.

C) He attempts to invalidate a legitimate

researcher's work in a seperate discipline using concepts that don't apply and no explanation whatsoever.

No, I don't believe he is a legitimate psychologist. Where is his dissertation

published? It's a simple question.

Still curious.

Admin...

Last edited by Sir Louis; 05-09-2005 at 06:58 AM.

He claims to be a psychologist. I have a suspician that he isn't because he demonstrates a cosmic lack of

professionalism:

A) He uses an anonymous handle yet claims to be a legitimate Ph.D.

B) He antagonizes and

makes baseless assertions.

C) He attempts to invalidate a legitimate researcher's work in a seperate

discipline
    using concepts that don't apply and no explanation whatsoever.

No, I don't

believe he is a legitimate psychologist. Where is his dissertation published? It's a simple question.

Still curious.

Admin...
    Your educational claims imply that you

are also a scientist or do I misunderstand?

I honestly do not have the right to answer where his desertation

was published. He, like you, me and every other person on this forum, has a reasonable right and expectation of

privacy. Ethically, I do not even believe I have the right to ask any personal information like that. You'll notice

I asked for credentials, not when or where you achieved them or even what part of the world you live in. Please

understand that is the way it has to be on a forum such as this. You can believe what you wish, I cannot change that

and don't care to try but please show me some respect by not inferring I am a liar.

I do not wish to start

another debate with you or anybody else. However, I am going to point out that neither of them has been above

reproach in how they handled this debate or a large number of others in the past. I've been watching them for a

while now and have seen many things I wouldn't do myself.

Mod...I don't have admin rights.

Thomas Jefferson

Journeyman

I honestly do

not have the right to answer where his desertation was published. He, like you, me and every other person on this

forum, has a reasonable right and expectation of privacy.
    And you, me and every other person on this forum

has a right to question a claim.

At least I hope.

Ethically, I do not even believe I

have the right to ask any personal information like that.
    Where a dissertation is published isn't personal

information, it can be publically searched and obtained, and is absolutely appropriate to ask, especially in

internet forums, which are by nature, anonymous. My "qualifications" aren't in question because I am not claiming

to be a psychologist, or a research scientist for that matter, or trying to invalidate or criticise work

published
    by a psychologist or research scientist. DST routinely does, with apparently no understanding that

sociobiology and psychology are closely linked disciplines that complement each other. If you notice, I did

not respond to either DST or Kohl's posts adding to or refuting anything specific.

I don't believe you

are a liar at all. I do believe you are good friends with him though, which is why you're falling over

yourself trying to give him the benefit of the doubt and rationalizing his behavior to an embarassing degree. I

apologise if I was rude, but there is a principle involved here.

I give everybody the benefit of

the doubt, including you and JVKohl. There would have been no problem between us if you had been civil in the first

place.

DST's desertation is private as far as this forum is concerned because handles were created to assure

the ability to remain anonymous if one so chooses. Telling you where to find his desertation would also reveal his

full name, wouldn't it? I will not violate that expectation of privacy to satisfy your whim. If DST chooses to do

so that his decision exclusively. There are principles involved in what I do as well and I am not going to

compromise them for you or anybody else.

Possibly you did not understand my reference to your credentials. It

was a convienant example, no more. Your credentials are only of minor importance in determining how to take your

remarks. Now that I know a little about them, I would have expected a more professional approach from you.

You

can believe what you like about my reasons for my actions, what you believe is not important to me. I understand the

reasons for my actions and that's all that really matters, not yours or anybody else's opinion. Since you don't

know me I can only think that you are doing the same as any other human and making assumptions based on the way you

think. That's normal but can lead to gross underestimations also.

Friends? Yes. Good friends? If you say so, it

depends on your definition. Those who know me know they can count on me to be fair and try to help anybody who asks.

I have several friends on this forum and I have banned a few of them. I make every effort to disassociate my

personal friendships from my decisions as a moderator. It may not be much fun for me sometimes but it is what I

agreed to do when I signed on.

Shall we agree to disagree?

Thomas Jefferson

Journeyman

Shall we agree to

disagree?
    No problem, thread closed.

Completely

eliminating observations made under stringent testing protocols because they conflict with another discipline or

belief is bad science.
    Agreed. It is also bad science to favor observations (e.g., what we think we

know) over biological facts (what we know).

... you have both worked hard for your

professional standing.
    What professional standing does DrSmellThis have? How is it relevant to the

Pheromone Forum?

The thing I most hate about the discussions between you two is how they

always digress into stupid personal insults towards each other.
    I dissagree. DrSmellThis typically

just annoys me.

I hope to see many more interesting, informative and constructive

discussions from both you and DST but do hope they can be kept more professional.
    It is difficult to

keep discussions more professional, when DST remains an anonymous "professional." He has frequently belittled my

opinions and my published works, yet will not come forward with any information that allows comparison with the

basis of his opinions/published works.

JVK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread Information