Quote Originally Posted by Traggard
Look it is

quite simple. Men are programmed by evolution to be attracted to certain things like youthfulness, symmetry, certain

hip to waist ratio etc.

Women are programmed to be attracted to symmetry as well, but the big difference is that

they are more attracted to personality traits then what men are. The personality traits that attract women are often

indicators of high status. Dominance, humour, confidence, not supplicating etc. So the process of being attracted to

someone works differently for men and women. There is no more “trickery” or deception for men to study seduction

then it for women to spend and hour or more each day working on their appearance.
If you're going to

generalize men in such fashion, then the correct way to generalize women on similar grounds is to say that they are

attracted to the ability to provide, protect, and support. Men desire visual traits because they're good signs of a

potential mate for the sake of healthy offspring. Women look for the ability to provide, protect, and support. Back

in the day, physical strength was big...now, it's money. High social standing has always been a big factor because

early it meant you were recognized by your peers as a good hunter, strong warrior, or a successful leader. Now,

social standing comes with power, money, and success. All of these things allow a man to provide, protect, and

support a woman and the couple's offspring. Therefore, they're desirable traits (remember, we're talking about

evolution here).

"Women are more attracted to personality traits" is a fallacy. Men look at personality traits

just as much as women do...just different ones. Women look for personality traits that align with the provide,

protect, and support factors (confidence, assertiveness, dominance, etc.). Men look for personality traits,

too...whether it be femininity, nurturing, and caring or seductive, confident, and strong-willed.

It's not that

the process is different, it's just that since men use visual cues and women use socioeconomical, personality

traits are much more indicative of the latter's potential. Men's instinctual jobs are just easier, that's all.

"She looks attractive. She must be capable of having healthy offspring."

vs.

"He looks and smells

attractive. Now that I have determined his potential to reproduce, I have to determine whether he's capable of

being able to protect, support, and provide for a family. After my initial look to see if he has the socioeconomic

potential, I have to speak with him and see if his personality fits my initial analysis."

That's the cost of

not being the one responsible for having the child...you have to go through a much more complex selection process.

Again, my disclaimer is that this is at the base of human instinctual mating habits. Personality and

feelings are much more involved in the selection process on both sides.