Close

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Aloeswood scent

visit-red-300x50PNG
    ohhh alright, that makes

sence. thx

Default The creation of an Oud addict

Big Bump!

Okay, I ordered my Oud sampler from Oriscent on Thursday and it arrived today (Sat) in CA. What

service!

"Hmmm... tiny little vials... let's open up this one that says "China Sweet"... whoa! harsh smell-- a

bit like turpentine... let me wipe this little dipstick across my wrist--- wow! hmm... very earthy odor, changing by

the minute-- now it reminds me of hash oil I haven't smelled in 20 years-- I can't resist whiffing it a lot--

it's so primal and familiar, yet like nothing I've ever smelled before... I'm getting light headed... better sit

down"

I can see how this might make the ultimate all-natural cover scent... I can't wait to get out in public

and try it with some A7-- when I can walk straight again!

I'll keep you posted...

-CAt

So now I've been using Oud

every day for a few days.

This stuff is amazing. I'm hooked. I can't believe how the scent evolves during the

day on my skin.

And I can't imagine a more perfect cover for mones. The way it blends with unscented A7, SOE,

and A1 is perfect.

Thanks you guys!!!

-CAt

Glad you like it. Oud isn't to

everybody's taste. Look back through the thread, there is a link for Ham Furl. He's a good resource for a wide

variety at decent prices. Good guy to deal with.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Bel!

I already

found Ham Firl in the thread and have been in contact with him.

I must admit that of the Oriscent samplers I

like ones that are more sweet and floral (Sweet China & Borneo Green) than Assam Organic which smells way too much

like a barnyard to me. I can't get past the extreme musky, almost fecal quality. Perhaps over time I will acquire a

taste for the more musky varieties (like over time I went from a white wine guy to only Cabs and Zins), but for now

I think I will stick with the sweeter Ouds.

What can you recommend-- Ham Firl provides little in the way of

scent notes, though for sweeter Ouds he suggested Kalimantan, Vietnamese, and Burmese Minchina. Which

of these have you tried? What do you think?

And have you tried the Borneo 3000 at Oriscent?

Your scenting

notes would be appreciated.

Best,

CAt

I'm the last person to ask for

information about scenting notes, being very poor at describing them. QT will give you far better information than I

can. I do agree about the Assam Organic, though. No, I haven't tried the Borneo 3000.

My personal taste ranges

more towards the musky but away from the fecal/barnyard smell. In general the darker the oil the muskier the scent.

I'm older, so that might explain the taste difference. Sweet ones just don't do it for me so my questions have all

been directed that way.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks again Bel,

I'll

see if I can get more scenting notes from Ham Firl. If any of the rest of you have recommendations for sweeter

varieties of Oud oils, please let me know. And if anyone has tried the Borneo 3000 from Oriscent, please let me

know.

Best,

CAt

Stranger

Just bought some Borneo... I'll

let you know after I get it in. I'm told by the guy at Oriscent that it's the shit from an aphrodisiac

standpoint... we'll see. Also, bought some of this musk he has. He told me its the real deal... again,

aphrodisiac... we'll see... obviously he's in it for the cash... but I'll share my experience when I get this

stuff.
    TrickCycles

I've been buying musk from

another guy and using it with Oud. Makes a nice combo.

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks jpidre,

I gave

in and ordered a sample of the Borneo 3000 myself. I'll be very interested to compare notes with you!

-CAt

oh my, i have forgotten all

about these!! i was actually getting ready to buy this back in the day for somereason i forgot all about it. i think

im going to buy some from oriscent (i think i still have the link saved up.

can someone tell me (or pm me) a

link of where i migh get some burmess ones i really like to try it seeing as how i am burmess and lived there up

untill i was around 10.

also can someone tell me or pm me what ham firl is?

lol hope this dosn't turn into

another addiction for me.

dose anyone ever dilude it with like water or something? to save money and make it

last longer or will it compramise the quality of the product?

Quote Originally Posted by slickracer View Post
    also

can someone tell me or pm me what ham firl is?

lol hope this dosn't turn into another addiction for me.

dose anyone ever dilude it with like water or something? to save money and make it last longer or will it

compramise the quality of the product?
    Ham furl is a contact I buy most of my Oud from. He sells a wide

variety of good quality products in smaller quantities. He also has an Ebay store: QT's Store. Do a search on Ebay

for Aloeswood and you'll find him.

Yes, you can dilute oud with oils but not water. A common base to mix with

oud is cedar or sandalwood. That's called an Attar. I don't like the diluted much and you need so little oud that

it really isn't expensive.

Thomas Jefferson

oh

my, i have forgotten all about these!! i was actually getting ready to buy this back in the day for somereason i

forgot all about it. i think im going to buy some from oriscent (i think i still have the link saved up.

can

someone tell me (or pm me) a link of where i migh get some burmess ones i really like to try it seeing as how i am

burmess and lived there up untill i was around 10.

also can someone tell me or pm me what ham firl is?

lol

hope this dosn't turn into another addiction for me.

dose anyone ever dilude it with like water or something?

to save money and make it last longer or will it compramise the quality of the product?
    Slickracer--

Take it from me: don't buy these unless you are ready for another expensive addiction. This stuff is amazing...

and already breaking my bank account.

I totally agree with Bel-- no need to dilute it. You can use the bottle's

dipstick to apply a tiny amount that goes a long way.

Let us know when you try them and what you think!

-CAt

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth View Post
    I've

been buying musk from another guy and using it with Oud. Makes a nice combo.
    Can you give us a

link?

Quote Originally Posted by CAtriathlete View Post
    scenting notes would be appreciated.

Best,

CAt
    I've

been experimenting with ouds the last couple of days. I think Ham Firl's Royal Oud is very similar to Oriscent's

Assam. These are the only ones I've tried to this point, and are the darker ones.

It definitely starts in

ye olde barnyard, with all the glorious remains left on the ground. I even hesitated before putting it on my skin

thinking "do I want to smell like that?". It basically stinks.

Took the plunge and was very glad. It did

take a while (an hour) for it to settle, and I'd advise against rubbing it on and dashing out to the Ritz, unless

you'd prefer the servant's entrance, to which the doorman would certainly usher you as he pinched his nose and

thought wistfully of lavender.

This stuff is powerful, as in The King. It continually changes as others have

noted. What starts out in the bottle as the devil's curse sweetens and mellows into something which seems so

darned FAMILIAR, but then again not at all familiar because its so exotic smelling. Sandalwood on steroids? It

almost defies description.

It sweetens to be sure, but does not lose its strong earthy base. Its not at all

floral or spicy or woodsy, but very warm and inviting. My nose is trying to come up with words to describe it. It

definitely gets better the more it ages on my skin.

Definitely not for everyone, but I like it, and can't

wait to experiment with the other varieties. I do get a calming effect too BTW.

Late in the day I put a drop

of A1 on my inner elbow with a little oud. Several hours later it has a sweet pleasant musky rutting smell, and I

envision the right woman chewing on my arm while she's disrobing. Sorry, just thinking positive thoughts

here.

Let you know when I try the others,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by idesign View Post
    Can you

give us a link?
    It's the same guy we've talked about before, Ham Furl. He lists it on his EBay store. The

chinese musk is far better than the other, IMO.

Thomas Jefferson

Hey Gents,

I received

sample bottle of Borneo 3000 today. Sweet, but not too. Very complex, musky-earthy, with honey overtones. And not so

turpentine right out of the bottle as any others.

I swabbed a bit on my wrists and rubbed. Then 2 drops of A1

rubbed between my forearms. 10" SOE across my upper chest. Finally, 1 drop of A7 split on my fingers and then rubbed

on the edge of my armpits. Headed over to visit the wonderful woman I'm dating, who loves complex odors (and has

started asking me not to shower before we get together!!).

I had her smell my wrists and her eyes rolled into

the back of her head. That's a definite vote of approval for the Borneo 3000. (She kept smelling my armpits too,

saying she loves my body odor. I feel like I'm cheating a bit and will eventually need to tell her about the mones

if we get more serious.)

I don't kiss and tell, but let me simply share that it was otherwordly "love in the

afternoon"--very animal.

Thanks Guys!

-CAt

Had a similar experience this

past weekend. Covered mones with oud and the unique scent opened the door. She loved it.

I used the Vietnamese

oud from Ham Firl. Much lighter and sweeter than his Royal, and Oriscent's Assam. Perhaps too sweet for my

taste.

Complexity in these oils is interesting. They seem to have a contrast, like a flower laying in freshly

turned soil. The flower attracts, and the soil welcomes you to the neighborhood.

Had a

similar experience this past weekend. Covered mones with oud and the unique scent opened the door. She loved it.

I used the Vietnamese oud from Ham Firl. Much lighter and sweeter than his Royal, and Oriscent's Assam. Perhaps

too sweet for my taste.

Complexity in these oils is interesting. They seem to have a contrast, like a flower

laying in freshly turned soil. The flower attracts, and the soil welcomes you to the neighborhood.

Sounds great iD!!

I like your new avatar image... that's the way to wake up to coffee!

If you find any

of the Ouds too sweet for your taste, I'd be happy to trade for my Assam Organic sample. It's much too earthy for

me.

Best,

CAt

ohhh man, the more i

read.....

hmm so it seems lighter ones are more floral and darker ones are earthy.

ever though about wearing

both at once? to balance them out?

ohhh man, the more i read.....

hmm so it seems lighter ones are more floral and darker

ones are earthy.

ever though about wearing both at once? to balance them out?
    Don't get me wrong:

they ALL have an earthy foundation. That is the nature of Oud. We are talking about subtle but very significant

differences in the other scent notes. And in fact, some of the Ouds have been blended already to balance them out.

I would recommend that anyone who is getting started to buy the sampler from Oriscent. It is a relatively

inexpensive way to sample a range of high quality Ouds.

Best,

-CAt

Don't get me wrong: they ALL have an earthy foundation. That is the nature of Oud. We

are talking about subtle but very significant differences in the other scent notes. And in fact, some of the Ouds

have been blended already to balance them out.

I would recommend that anyone who is getting started to buy the

sampler from Oriscent. It is a relatively inexpensive way to sample a range of high quality Ouds.

Best,

-CAt
    CAt, does Oriscent blend their ouds? I know Ham Firl does not, and sells the pure oil from

whatever country. It'd be interesting to know about Oriscent's practices.

BTW, did you get an email from

Oriscent about the Kyara?

"The rarest type of agarwood,

Kyara is the most expensive aromatic substance on earth. A single gram of authentic green kyara

retails for $395. A solid piece weighing a kilogram or more would be in the millions. Ounce for ounce, kyara is

eighteen times more expensive than gold. Out of all things precious that are bought and sold, only the

largest, most precious diamonds command a price as high as genuine kyara agarwood"

In contrast, the least

expensive way to try oud is to go on eBay and do a search for Aloeswood. You'll find Ham Firl there and he sells

single samples for as little as $12US post included. Of course at that price you don't get much, but enough to try

it many times, and its a good introduction. Try the lighter ones first if you're concerned about the strong earth

scent. But really, the stronger dark oils do mellow nicely and become pleasantly sweet in time. The initial scent

bears no resemblence whatsoever to the "wearing" scent.

Another thing to try is mixing or layering

different oils. This is going to be my next favorite experiment, after mones of course. I've ordered some pure

sandalwood and chinese musk (thanks belgareth) and can't wait to try them out both alone and layered with

oud.

And I plan to take out a second mortgage on my kids when Pheros becomes available. Just kidding, I don't

have any children... too bad.

Have fun!
    Greg

Sounds great iD!!

I like your new avatar image... that's the way to wake up to

coffee!

If you find any of the Ouds too sweet for your taste, I'd be happy to trade for my Assam Organic

sample. It's much too earthy for me.

Best,

CAt
    Thanks CAt, thought I'd rather look at two of my

favorite things while I'm here.

I may be interested in a trade, but need to experiment more. I'll let you

know.

Hey Greg,

I spoke to

the owner of Oriscent (nice guy) to find out more about which of his Ouds would suit me best. I told him how much I

liked the honey scent in Sweet China, and he said that the sweetness comes from a small amount of Borneo 3000 he

blended into it-- otherwise the China would be too barnyard. So, some Oriscent Ouds are single source and some are

blended.

I got the email on the Kyara, and it sounds tempting, but I've already taken out a second mortgage for

Ouds and mones, and I do have kids I need to put through college soon.

I think you should buy some just to let

us all know how yummy it really is!

In any case, do let me know how the latering experiements go. I'm

interested in the sandalwood myself.

Best,

CAt

I think you should buy some just to let us all know how yummy it really is!

In any case, do let me know how

the latering experiements go. I'm interested in the sandalwood myself.
    Best, CAt
    Ha! You're very

generous with MY money CAt! Too rich for me, and I've already spent too much on EOs at this point. I've gotten

hooked there too, sigh...

The layering has taken on a life of its own and I love it. I need to start taking

notes, but my experiments are very unscientific at this point.

Tonight I tried a swab of Oud, a swab of Mysore

Sandalwood and a swab of Lavender Maillette, all high quality oils. I keep smelling my wrist and arm and am amazed.

Its a whole new world, and coupled with the mones I don't know who could resist.

Takes some time though, but

I figure its worth it.

Keep us posted on your experiments too. I have A314 but have not tried it, wondering if

you have. Just bought Chikara scented, should have gotten the unscented, I dislike the smell.

Take care,
    Greg

Hey Greg,

The layering

sounds interesting. I am getting ready to order some Sandalwood oil from Ham Firl. Did you get the regular Mysore or

the Double Super Mysore? How do you like it?

I have not yet tried A314 but have started becoming curious about

it. I'll need to figure out where it fits in with my current use of A7, A1, and SOE. I welcome any ideas about

combining these with A314.

-CAt

I got his 100% CO2 Wild

Mysore. I like it a lot, and it seems fresher, greener than the other Sandals I have. I've been reading that CO2

extracts have a different effect on the resulting oil from, say steam distilled. No matter what you get from H-F

you'll like it.

I have a function this weekend, and a date. Think I'll try the A314 at least once. Maybe see

what it does with SoE and leave out the A1.

Greg

I got

his 100% CO2 Wild Mysore. I like it a lot, and it seems fresher, greener than the other Sandals I have. I've been

reading that CO2 extracts have a different effect on the resulting oil from, say steam distilled. No matter what you

get from H-F you'll like it.

I have a function this weekend, and a date. Think I'll try the A314 at least

once. Maybe see what it does with SoE and leave out the A1.

Greg
    Hey Greg,

I got some of the CO2

Mysore this week. It really is very "green". My new g/f and I both think it smells like fresh sawdust--not so

pleasant. It mellows a bit after an hour or two, but I suspect I would like the steam distillation stuff much

better. This does blend fairly well with Oud, though.

How are the experiments with A314 coming along?

-CAt

Where Velvet Darkness is Kissed by Golden Starlight

It seems like the Royal Oud or some Cambodian may be just the thing to compliment my NPA or even my

Alpha7 unscented.

Cant wait to splash a bit on, Alpha7, that is as havn't used it for awhile, and well, like i am

in the mood for love

Just out of curiosity i wonder if the Asian women like the Oud ?
    I AM. Out of my mind .... .... ....

My g/f loves when I wear

Oud. Whenever I wear a dab on my wrist, she continually grabs it to draw it close to her nose and take in big

whiffs. Little does she know that there is A7 and A1 lurking within the Oud scent.

-CAt
    Last edited by CAtriathlete; 08-17-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information