Close

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Aloeswood scent

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I've bought some really nice

oils from Ham Firl, and his Ambergris and Civet are cheaper, but diluted and/or mixed. The Civet is mixed with Oud,

the Ambergris oil is an unknown blend.
    Last edited by idesign; 10-22-2007 at 07:50 PM.

Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by idesign View Post
    I've

bought some really nice oils from Ham Firl, and his Ambergris and Civet are cheaper, but diluted and/or mixed. The

Civet is mixed with Oud, the Ambergris oil is an unknown blend.
    Yes, nice oil. I can'st stand the civet

on its own. Thats why I diluted it with midnight stroll oil. His ambergriss is also blended as he told me the other

time that the ambergriss is an item that will get hardened once it is expose to outside sea water. So when you heat

them, it will melt but it will change back to solid state. And the only way to make oil from it is to blend it with

some herbal oil that he would not like to reveal as this is his hardwork and his secrets. To him, there are no way

that you can make 100% ambergriss oil. But the blended was worth it. Its so nice. Similar to his deer musk oil.

Excellente.....

I have also spoken to a NewZealander when I was on project there, he told me the same thing as

what ham_firl told me. When I was in Dubai, an old Arab men told me that they use pure 100% ambergriss in solid form

(1kg abt US$15000) and heat it to the metal spoon and after few seconds, the ambergriss hardened and stick to the

spoon. Then they use the spoon to stir their coffee, tea and etc. Its good for the body and for sex. He told me that

no pure oil from this 100% pure ambergriss in solid form.

I ever bought from someone abt 2 years ago whom

claim that their ambergriss oil is 100% pure. I ended up paying high price for some synthetic thick "do know what"

oil. Nothing close to ham_firl oil. Its blended but quality blend.

I understand about the ambergris

blending, it must be mixed with something to carry the raw ingredient. My only complaint is that it is mixed with

something that has a scent of its own, and I'm sure that I smell some oud and sandalwood in the mix. I would

prefer a blend with an scent-neutral oil. It is a nice scent, but not good for mixing into a perfume unless you

want the other scents too. The same is true for his civet blend.

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

I

understand about the ambergris blending, it must be mixed with something to carry the raw ingredient. My only

complaint is that it is mixed with something that has a scent of its own, and I'm sure that I smell some oud and

sandalwood in the mix. I would prefer a blend with an scent-neutral oil. It is a nice scent, but not good for mixing

into a perfume unless you want the other scents too. The same is true for his civet blend.
    You really can't

determine the quality of an animal product unless it's a pure dilution. Deer musk is an exception, in that it is

traditionally mixed with sandalwood. However, I believe they use something like "white sandalwood", which doesn't

have much of a scent, but is a good medium.

Still, you wonder: If his musks are so good, why not sell them

straight, when everything else is sold straight?

I should admit I've never tried one of his products, but am

always interested to discover new sources.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    You

really can't determine the quality of an animal product unless it's a pure dilution. Deer musk is an exception, in

that it is traditionally mixed with sandalwood. However, I believe they use something like "white sandalwood", which

doesn't have much of a scent, but is a good medium.

Still, you wonder: If his musks are so good, why not sell

them straight, when everything else is sold straight?

I should admit I've never tried one of his products, but

am always interested to discover new sources.
    I didn't know that about deer musk, and having just now

smelled it I notice a sandalwood scent, it adds a sweetness I think, but isn't real musk a little sweet?. The musk

is loud and clear though, and is beautiful. He does sell the musk pods alone, and the idea of making my own musk

oil is exciting but daunting.

I wonder about not selling them straight too. Would be much more useful.

His

Wild Tamil Sandalwood is heaven in a bottle though, and is much better than the other half-dozen sandals I have from

other sources.

His Ambergris was quite frankly a disappointment. I've been using a 1% alcohol tincture from

another source which is so nice. I use a dab of it sometimes when layering mones and scents. It transforms a mix

into sex in a teapot.

And then, he has weird stuff like this:

"No 1 100% Iranian Rose made by tradional

method. (1980 stocks) US$15 per 6ml"

Something like that could be wonderful, who knows? If so, it could be a buy

of the century. You just don't know, which is the main problem with H-F, you have no assurance of what is actually

in the product, only what you can smell. I've been happy with what I've gotten though.

Stranger

I

didn't know that about deer musk, and having just now smelled it I notice a sandalwood scent, it adds a sweetness I

think, but isn't real musk a little sweet?. The musk is loud and clear though, and is beautiful. He does sell the

musk pods alone, and the idea of making my own musk oil is exciting but daunting.

I wonder about not selling

them straight too. Would be much more useful.

His Wild Tamil Sandalwood is heaven in a bottle though, and is

much better than the other half-dozen sandals I have from other sources.

His Ambergris was quite frankly a

disappointment. I've been using a 1% alcohol tincture from another source which is so nice. I use a dab of it

sometimes when layering mones and scents. It transforms a mix into sex in a teapot.

And then, he has weird stuff

like this:

"No 1 100% Iranian Rose made by tradional method. (1980 stocks) US$15 per 6ml"

Something like

that could be wonderful, who knows? If so, it could be a buy of the century. You just don't know, which is the main

problem with H-F, you have no assurance of what is actually in the product, only what you can smell. I've been

happy with what I've gotten though.
    Hi. Yes, good discussion here. I received an email 2 days ago from

ham_firl informing about he is going for a long vacation. I believed that he sent to some of his buyers which

include me. Good pricing for some pure oud. I love his Golden ambergriss which he mentioned that he is left with

6ml, his goldenwhittish & yemeni's ambergriss is also nice, his deer musk oil from China & Himalayan are nice, only

his cheaper ambergriss (black) is average. And many more. I guess the oil that he has match my taste and he is

honest to inform that he blend the oil. I do not like alcohol tincture. I must try his Iranian Rose which is so

cheap. Iranian Rose is not popular and never heard of it. May be it is the no 1 oil from Iran but may not be

pure. I must try.

I just bought another deer musk oil from another person who claim that theirs is 100% pure.

But its rubbish, I paid US$200 per 3ml after bargain. May be it does not suit me.

Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by passo_s692 View Post
    Hi.

Yes, good discussion here. I received an email 2 days ago from ham_firl informing about he is going for a long

vacation. I believed that he sent to some of his buyers which include me. Good pricing for some pure oud. I love his

Golden ambergriss which he mentioned that he is left with 6ml, his goldenwhittish & yemeni's ambergriss is also

nice, his deer musk oil from China & Himalayan are nice, only his cheaper ambergriss (black) is average. And many

more. I guess the oil that he has match my taste and he is honest to inform that he blend the oil. I do not like

alcohol tincture. I must try his Iranian Rose which is so cheap. Iranian Rose is not popular and never heard of it.

May be it is the no 1 oil from Iran but may not be pure. I must try.

I just bought another deer musk oil

from another person who claim that theirs is 100% pure. But its rubbish, I paid US$200 per 3ml after bargain. May be

it does not suit me.
    Hi again. I am at Jakarta now and going to Balikpapan in extreme eastern part of

Indonesia for my project work. Before leaving, I received the Pure Iranian Rose, its lovely for the price. And I

also purchased sandalIranian Rose. Its also nice for the price. I love it. My girl & neighbour love it too.

Stranger

hey all,

I too got assam oudh

& tamil sandalwood from ham_firl. My main purpose was to strengthen my meditations and trust me, these two oils aid

very well. The fragrance lasts till next morning, when I wake up. I havn't noticed any great effects on others as

yet, just few heads turned to notice me.

I also got WhitishGolden ambergriss....it seems just about OK.....nuthin

great to report.

Wanted to know, whats civet oil used for??? and can anyone suggest a good source for buying

nutmeg EO???

thanks all for creating sucha wonderful thread

helius

Quote Originally Posted by helius9 View Post
    hey

all,

I too got assam oudh & tamil sandalwood from ham_firl. My main purpose was to strengthen my meditations and

trust me, these two oils aid very well. The fragrance lasts till next morning, when I wake up. I havn't noticed any

great effects on others as yet, just few heads turned to notice me.

I also got WhitishGolden ambergriss....it

seems just about OK.....nuthin great to report.

Wanted to know, whats civet oil used for??? and can anyone

suggest a good source for buying nutmeg EO???

thanks all for creating sucha wonderful thread

helius
    Glad its working well for you. Those oils are definitely tenacious. I layer them

with each other and with pheromones with good success. I use the sandal on its own sometimes for my daily scent.

I agree about the "whitish/golden" ambergris. I'm no expert, but I think ambergris just works better in

alcohol. Ham Firl's mix seems to muffle the exalting nature of the scent. Here's a link to a great tincture

I've bought and use often to great effect. The 3% is more expensive of course but much

nicer.

http://www.perfumersapprentice.com/N...ambergris.html

Civet is a traditional

perfume ingredient. DST can give a better answer, but it provides an animalic note and fixes other scents. I can

smell it in some vintage perfumes I have.

For nutmeg EO just do a search for it. There are a lot of suppliers

and the ones I've used and like are Eden Botanicals, Snowdrift Farm, Liberty Natural Products, etc etc. Look also

at the link above. Linda Andrews is really nice and helpful. What do you want the nutmeg for?
    Last edited by idesign; 11-25-2007 at 04:01 PM.

Stranger

hey idesign,

thanks for ur

response and info u provided. I wanted to try out nutmeg as a covering scent for pheromones.

just wanted to know,

how exactly do u layer them with pheromones??? do u apply the EOs at the same spot after applying the pheros?? do

EOs help slow down the diffusion rate???

helius

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by helius9 View Post
    hey

idesign,

thanks for ur response and info u provided. I wanted to try out nutmeg as a covering scent for

pheromones.

just wanted to know, how exactly do u layer them with pheromones??? do u apply the EOs at the same

spot after applying the pheros?? do EOs help slow down the diffusion rate???

helius
    Nutmeg is very

difficult to use for personal perfuming because it is so strong and pungent. The easiest spice to use is clove,

followed by bay rum.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis View Post
    Nutmeg

is very difficult to use for personal perfuming because it is so strong and pungent. The easiest spice to use is

clove, followed by bay rum.
    Or you could just use Pheros, you won't be sorry. Warm and spicy, with a

nice musk drydown, great for covering. Do a search for it on this forum for lots of feedback.

Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by gamecity View Post
    In

oriscent.com, how large are the bottles for aloeswood oils? How large are the aloeswood oil sampler vials?

Anyone know?
    If you've ever seen a standard cologne sample tube, the Oriscent ones are less than half

that size and it's not clear how much they contain because the label covers the tube.

Stranger

Hello there. How come, it has

been quiet. I was away in Balikpapan for a long project and got back to Taiwan base for a while now and are able to

access the web again with time to spare. I saw ham_firl has raw civet musk gland. I brought a lot of perfumes with

me from many sources to Balikpapan and strange, almost everyone are crazy abt ham_firl products. They even bought

off from me. I am running out of stocks. Someone brought along some Ouds from other sources and it has the scents of

"barnyard", opening with a whiff of cowshit. Oud should not be in this manner. We met an experience Indonesian man

who are familiar with Oud. He confirmed that ham_firl Oud is excellent oud which has excellent scents and not

"barnyard" or a whiff of cowshit.
    I neeed to restock again but ham_firl can't be contacted. Anybopdy has any

idea?? .

Have you tried his ebay

store?
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Stranger

Yes, still no reply

Stranger

I was reading this post

yesterday and tracked down his email address on an old post at basenotes.

We have emailed back and forth a few

times today.

He can be reached at: ham_firl@pacific.net.sg and his store

is www.qt-store.com which has his current inventory etc.

I am looking at

getting:

Pure and sweet Aloeswood /Agarwood/Oud Burmese oil

3cc
    http://www.qt-store.com/servlet/the-...yara%2C/Detail

and

Royal Oud. Does anyone have any experience with these products from him?

Many

Thanks.

The Burmese is lighter and

sweeter than the Royal Oud, which was quite a bit more expensive when I bought them months ago.

His Royal Oud is

more complex, heavier and more what I think you should experience from this amazing oil.

Stranger

The

Burmese is lighter and sweeter than the Royal Oud, which was quite a bit more expensive when I bought them months

ago.

His Royal Oud is more complex, heavier and more what I think you should experience from this amazing

oil.
    Hi. Thanks. He has already replied me. These are 2 diff oils. I agree that the Burmese is lighter

and sweeter oil but is amazing. His Royal Oud is truly amazing but more on the heavier side.

Has anyone besides me tried the

Iran Jaya or however its spelled? It is deep and complex, like the royal Oud.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Stranger

Has

anyone tried any of the following from Ham Firl and which are the best:

Pure Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal Brunei

oil
    Pure Dark&Rich Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal oil
    Pure Royal Cambodia OUD Aloeswood / Agarwood oil

How does

that compare to the:

Vintage 1980 Burmese OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil
    Vintage1970 Indian Assam OUD

Aloeswood/Agarwood oil

Thanks

I bought some 25 year old royal

Oud from a guy a while back. It was different from the greener, fresh ouds I have used. More complex and longer

lasting. I wouldn't say it was better but it certainly was nice. The price was a bit high making it something I

wasn't willing to put money into again.

Thomas Jefferson

Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    Has anyone tried any of the following from Ham Firl and which are

the best:

Pure Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal Brunei oil
    Pure Dark&Rich

Aloeswood/Agarwood/Oud Royal oil

Pure Royal Cambodia OUD Aloeswood / Agarwood oil

How does that compare to the:

Vintage 1980 Burmese OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil

Vintage1970 Indian Assam OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil

Thanks

Hi. I am giving you my opinion only as I am familiar with oud

since my grandfather's time where those quality you can still find from ham_firl Oud.

My job requires me to travel from my home to Taiwan, thats where

I am based and you can also find many Oud here. And also travell to Indonesia, Malaysia & Thailand on projects. I do

travel on special mission to the Middle East and Singapore besides Jakarta & Kalimantan looking/experiencing for Oud

but for collection purposes only.

I have purchased Oud from other seller that

cost me US$2300 per 12 grams but it was purely a mixture to create more complex, longer lasting and darker Oud. Its

not the original dark, complex and longer lasting Oud that you can find from ham_firl oud.

These oil that you mentioned are all great but I have not tried the
    Vintage

1980 Burmese OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood oil

Vintage1970 Indian Assam OUD Aloeswood/Agarwood

oil

I would try soon.

Stranger

Default Just my 2 cents

I'm a buyer

from Mr. Firl, and I can tell you, on another forum we talk about oud quite a bit...

I've found his attars

to be a fantastic value. (I didn't like the burmese, but that's me).

I haven't ordered from anyone else,

altho I'm eyeing a sample from Thai Arcade. I found Belgareth's posts on this thread to be especially

useful.

And... I'm looking forward to Pheros.

-P

I was on ham firl's website

today and noticed a pretty good jump in prices, which for me means slacking off the use of the pure ouds.

Agree

that his oud attars are pretty good, for what they are, and much cheaper. I have the Cambodian and Indonesian and

like both.

I see that he has a Jasmine oil now. I never did try his Rose, maybe time to get one of each.

Wow, that was a lot of

reading.

iDesign, since reading the LS forums, I have become interested in Oud and have just ordered Wild

Tamil Sandalwood to start. Even before mones, I loved colognes and at my peak, had probably over 2 dozen kinds.

One thing that I suddenly realized is that a few of the colognes were really nice and I had girls *literally*

repeatedly smelling me. One gift of an Italian cologne was really good and women would react by coming very close

and inhaling. Imagine if I had that as a cover!

I also bought a few samples of Amouage, Gold and Dia, I

think.

Any suggestions on other Oud oils?

Where Velvet Darkness is Kissed by Golden Starlight

I was

on ham firl's website today and noticed a pretty good jump in prices, which for me means slacking off the use of

the pure ouds.

Agree that his oud attars are pretty good, for what they are, and much cheaper. I have the

Cambodian and Indonesian and like both.

I see that he has a Jasmine oil now. I never did try his Rose, maybe

time to get one of each.
    Hey Greg, maby you can enlighten me to summat strange going on here with

my attar.

Yeah my 6cc attar oud Cambodian arrived today from ham_firl in

Singapore.

So after a nice hot shower i unscrews the gold cap and then remove the stopper

which has dip wand attached and proceed to spread a generous wand full onto each bicep,

Now

its ok like herby type smell sorta hard to explain, but i didn't think anything special.

So

i go to have a snooze and wake up several times during the hour and i can smell no trace in the least of any

fragrance on myself and especially not on my biceps where i applied the stuff.

So i had just

about decided to toss the stuff to the bats and dogs bin ect.

Then

my g/f walks in and announces that as soon as she opened my house door she could smell this exotic smell throughout

the whole place, and said it was like temple incense, and when i presented my biceps for a sniff she said yes thats

the stuff.

But i can not notice even the smallest scent of the

stuff, no nothing zero and zilch, and my nose is ok because i applied one drop of another love potion perfume that i

have and went for a workout and the perfume fragrance i can detect even after an hour.

So i am thinking that the oud must not suit me somehow ?? very

strange,

My g/f even asked me if she could borrow the Cambodian to put some in her lounge

tomorrow before her guests arrive.

So this stuff must be ok,

because she likes it and can notice it very distinctly, but unfortunatelly i cant notice it at all after about 5

minutes.

I can still smell my other fragrances ok at this moment,

but not the Cambodian in the least degree ??

It was good timing

that the g/f arrived when she did, before the Cambodian went down the drain.

I did not even

mention it to her that i had applied anything, but she noticed it was strong smell throughout my home.

So how strange is this??
    Any ideas, or

maby i am not suited to OUD ect ...
    I AM. Out of my mind .... .... ....

Your nose became accustomed to

the scent is all that happened. An attar is not going to be as strong as the pure oil but it will still last on you

for many hours. The scent of the base probably wore off as well so you weren't smelling that any longer. I use the

pure oils and have had the scent last for 24 hours easily. The best part is that it changes over time.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Nematode View Post
    Wow,

that was a lot of reading.

iDesign, since reading the LS forums, I have become interested in Oud and have just

ordered Wild Tamil Sandalwood to start. Even before mones, I loved colognes and at my peak, had probably over 2

dozen kinds. One thing that I suddenly realized is that a few of the colognes were really nice and I had girls

*literally* repeatedly smelling me. One gift of an Italian cologne was really good and women would react by coming

very close and inhaling. Imagine if I had that as a cover!

I also bought a few samples of Amouage, Gold and Dia,

I think.

Any suggestions on other Oud oils?
    I'm really fond of the Iran Jaya myself. For me personally

the darker ones seem to last longer and have far more complex scents.

Thomas Jefferson

I agree with Bel on all counts,

and not just 'cause its his birthday.

The darker ouds are probably distilled from older/rarer raw materials.

They usually start much heavier and evolve very slowly, which is nice. You have time to enjoy each phase, and

appreciate the subtle shifts.

Terry - I have pretty good results from the attars, but they're definitely WAY

diluted. As well, who knows what the base oil is, and what effect it has on the oud? I suspect sandalwood as Doc

pointed out once, but maybe not a good one. My nose periodically and randomly "zones out" a fragrance. This

probably happens to most people, but because you particularly pay attention to scent you notice it. I bet if you

tried it again you would smell it.

Nematode - I'm a bit of a scent junkie too. Would that Italian scent you had

be Acqua di Parma? I wore it the other day, no -mones, and a client stuck by me the whole two hours I was there.

She kept wandering from the others and planting herself next to me.

Oriscent has a nice little sample package

that's reasonable. They also have some $500/oz stuff if your last name is Rockefeller. Ham-Firl is definitely a

good source though. Reasonably priced and a nice variety.

I think you'll like the Amouage scents, and you'll

detect some oud in Gold. Pierre Montale has a whole line of oud scents, and you can get sample decants at places

like Perfumed Court or Luckyscents. Perfuming with oud is tricky because its SO strong and complex. I appreciated

the Montale scents for what they were, but would wear none of them.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 ... LastLast

Thread Information