Close

Page 1 of 11 1 ... LastLast

Thread: Aloeswood scent

Default Aloeswood scent

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Before getting involved in this forum and pheromones I had almost no interest in scents for men,

deeming them to be a waste of time. Others disagree and that’s fine; to each their own opinions. I still have little

interest in the commercially available ones.

Recently, while

studying for a trip out of the country I read of an essential oil, a reputed aphrodisiac native to Asia that sounded

interesting so I started looking into it. It is called Aloeswood, Agar and Oud to mention a few and has a long

history in the Orient and India. I ordered a small vial of it to try it out, then I ordered a larger vial from

another locale and have yet another coming from still another place. Each is unique. This forum has created a

monster! This stuff is expensive but is also incredible. Reactions have been uniformly great.

The first bottle I bought about a month ago was from Laos, not one of the better

ones but something to try. 2 cc cost roughly $30. Not cheap but you use so little of it that it doesn’t matter. Top

quality Oud from India can cost as much as $500 for a tola (12 Grams ) The scent lasts a long time; I apply to

my forearm in the morning and can still smell it the next morning. Using it alone, Wood Elf calls it erotic and

sensual, she loves it on me. Other women have made various comments about it, none negative and some highly

complementary if a little embarrassing. One lady who was in my car with me told me I smelled good enough to

eat.

With those results I started trying it with mones, first

NPA then SoE. Both had an impact, noticeable looks from women and more compliments. NPA gave me better results than

SoE but I haven’t really been wearing it long enough to have a track record. My first impressions have been really

great so I wanted to share this with everybody….especially poor old Mobley. Now, will you please stop begging

my girlfriend for information?
    Last edited by belgareth; 04-21-2005 at 02:15 PM.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Luca Turin talks extensively

about oud in Chandler Burr's fascinating book "The Emperor of Scent" - I've never had the pleasure myself, but

from all I've heard it sounds divine. Lucky you! (and wood elf too!)

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

There is actually a lot of

high quality oud in Pheros! If you smell for it you should notice. It cost me a dollar a drop to put in

there. Oud is a big part of the wood note, along with sandalwood. So that might be one reason why you had success

with that product, if your body chemistry goes well with oud.

I have posted on this oil many times, and wrote a

page on oud in the perfuming basics thread. It is a great essence, and a renowned aphrodisiac. However, by itself,

the chemistry isn't for everybody. I prefer it mixed with other things, but have worn it alone. It is an enchanting

scent to say the least, but is pretty intense.

Try a tiny drop in rose oil.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

King of the coupons!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    Before getting involved in this forum and pheromones I had almost no interest in scents for men,

deeming them to be a waste of time. Others disagree and that’s fine; to each their own opinions. I still have little

interest in the commercially available ones.

Recently, while

studying for a trip out of the country I read of an essential oil, a reputed aphrodisiac native to Asia that sounded

interesting so I started looking into it. It is called Aloeswood, Agar and Oud to mention a few and has a long

history in the Orient and India. I ordered a small vial of it to try it out, then I ordered a larger vial from

another locale and have yet another coming from still another place. Each is unique. This forum has created a

monster! This stuff is expensive but is also incredible. Reactions have been uniformly great.

The first bottle I bought about a month ago was from Laos, not one of the better

ones but something to try. 2 cc cost roughly $30. Not cheap but you use so little of it that it doesn’t matter. Top

quality Oud from India can cost as much as $500 for a tola (9 Grams ) The scent lasts a long time; I apply to

my forearm in the morning and can still smell it the next morning. Using it alone, Wood Elf calls it erotic and

sensual, she loves it on me. Other women have made various comments about it, none negative and some highly

complementary if a little embarrassing. One lady who was in my car with me told me I smelled good enough to

eat.

With those results I started trying it with mones, first

NPA then SoE. Both had an impact, noticeable looks from women and more compliments. NPA gave me better results than

SoE but I haven’t really been wearing it long enough to have a track record. My first impressions have been really

great so I wanted to share this with everybody….especially poor old Mobley. Now, will you please stop begging

my girlfriend for information?
    I remember reading about OUD from a post on here

loooong ago ... it came in some kind of an oil,and the mones in it were suppose to be from plants.

Anyone!?

Anyone!?

My first impressions have been really great so

I wanted to share this with everybody….especially poor old Mobley. Now, will you please stop begging my

girlfriend for information?
    Geez! Thanks! I was just getting ready to offer

her money annnnd a Hummer!
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

Doc,

Sandalwood mellows it

a bit, I've tried that a few times. However, since it seems to go so well with my chemistry, I wear it alone most

of the time right now. The hits are as good as anything else and the scent is appealing to those around me.

COuldn't ask much more than that.

Silksand,

One of the companies I've been buying from has a sampler of 5

major Ouds. It's pretty cheap at $100. Let me know if you want more information.

Mobley,

Oud is the pure

oil, an Attar is the oil mixed into a carrier. From what I have learned it isn't worth the trouble to buy the

Attars other than greater spreadability (is that a word? Guess it is now.) Good luck with the money and the

Hummer, she'll probably send you in the wrong direction once she gets paid off. DON'T PAY HER UP FRONT!!!!!
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

King of the coupons!

Silksand,

One of the companies I've been buying from has a sampler of 5 major Ouds. It's pretty cheap at $100. Let me know

if you want more information.
    Now you're saying Ouds comes in 5 different scents?

AND if there are 5

... which one do you use, like best, Bel?

How did you mix it with NPA/SOE (premix or separate)?

Thanks!

Mobley,

Good luck with the money and the Hummer, she'll probably send you in

the wrong direction once she gets paid off. DON'T PAY HER UP FRONT!!!!!
    I kind of figured that it would be

impossible for her to be your
    BETTER half! Thanks for the heads

up!
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

Quote Originally Posted by MOBLEYC57
    Now you're

saying Ouds comes in 5 different scents? AND if there are 5 ... which one do you use, like best, Bel?

Thanks!

The two I have so far are from Laos and Malaysia. The Laotian one smells better to me even though

the Malyasian is more expensive. There are actualy quite a few flavors depending on where they were harvested and

methods of extraction.

I kind of figured that it would be impossible for her to be

your
    BETTER half! Thanks for the heads up!
    Oh?

And what makes you think that? I just hide my larceny better.

Thomas Jefferson

King of the coupons!

Question

How did you mix

it with NPA/SOE (premix or separate)?

Thanks!

Here's one I found that's 25% oud and 75%

cederwood. Haven't tried it yet , but thinking about getting some after Payday ($27.90)

The place is in

Utah.

Hey Bruce--how about stocking some of these EE's??
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

If you can afford it, I

strongly reccomend getting the pure oil.
    www.oriscent.com

Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Bel!

I've been

looking but haven't been able to find a cheap (enough) local source to sample, so until I do I'll have to be

envious, and/or use Pheros.
    CptKipling

Information about pheromones: Pheromone Information Library

Phero Enthusiast

Exclamation Know what you are doing when you buy Lao Oud-aloeswood

you have to know who you're dealing with: there is a tremendous variation in quality,

price, method of extraction. I know one person who directly imports the material. The oil is picked up at the still

in Laos and hand carried back to the USA. Real premium grade Lao Oud is a moderately viscous yellowish oil with an

intense aroma and unmistakable psychoactive effects. There is also a CO2 (supercritical extraction) form that has a

deeper aroma, it is a molasses like oil that hardens at slightly below room temperature. There is, be warned, much

contaminated and stepped on Lao Oud, and some of this sold at ludicrously inflated prices to naive buyers. Some of

these types advertise on the internet too.
    There are three major grades of the steam distilled yellow oil, in

my opinion only the superior grade is worth the trouble and it runs about 30-35 dollars a gram, probably more with

the weak dollar. Be very suspicious of a product that shows any sign of separation, for instance if the bottle looks

like it is part one thing, such as a clear oil or wax, and part something else, you're getting adulterated Lao.

To repeat, the Lao Oud market is infested with scammers and hucksters. Only deal with businesses that make

Lao Oud a substantial part of their catalog. If your supplier gets blustery or defensive or makes a big show of

their superior knowledge if you question the product, you're probably dealing with one of the multitudes of

bullshitters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by surfs_up
    you have to

know who you're dealing with: there is a tremendous variation in quality, price, method of extraction. I know one

person who directly imports the material. The oil is picked up at the still in Laos and hand carried back to the

USA. Real premium grade Lao Oud is a moderately viscous yellowish oil with an intense aroma and unmistakable

psychoactive effects. There is also a CO2 (supercritical extraction) form that has a deeper aroma, it is a molasses

like oil that hardens at slightly below room temperature. There is, be warned, much contaminated and stepped on Lao

Oud, and some of this sold at ludicrously inflated prices to naive buyers. Some of these types advertise on the

internet too.
    There are three major grades of the steam distilled yellow oil, in my opinion only the superior

grade is worth the trouble and it runs about 30-35 dollars a gram, probably more with the weak dollar. Be very

suspicious of a product that shows any sign of separation, for instance if the bottle looks like it is part one

thing, such as a clear oil or wax, and part something else, you're getting adulterated Lao.
    To repeat, the Lao

Oud market is infested with scammers and hucksters. Only deal with businesses that make Lao Oud a substantial part

of their catalog. If your supplier gets blustery or defensive or makes a big show of their superior knowledge if you

question the product, you're probably dealing with one of the multitudes of bullshitters out there.
    Or

any other, for that matter. The best in the world is distilled in India by the royal family's distillery.

Thomas Jefferson

Journeyman

Is Oud an aphrodisiac for

both genders?

Journeyman

Aside from the site

Belgareth already posted, where can one buy the reliably best quality oud? Any recommendations?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by InACharmedLife
    Is Oud an

aphrodisiac for both genders?
    It mellows Belgareth and he becomes more receptive. He is sometimes an

overly active person and it slows him down some. I do not know that it is an aphrodisiac to him or me. The scent is

very sensual on him.

There are many good places he found while searching for information. You must be careful

who you deal with but the internet is a good place to hunt.

Journeyman

[QUOTE=surfs_up]Real

premium grade Lao Oud is a moderately viscous yellowish oil with an intense aroma and unmistakable psychoactive

effects.

SurfsUp, what exactly ARE the unmistakable psychoactive effects?

Also, where would you suggest

that one could buy real premium grade Lao Oud?

Thanks.

Phero Enthusiast

Wink brain droppings...

for steam

distilled Laotian Lao, your best source is a store in New York City called Enfleurage. They have a webstore too. The

owner has a close relationship with the distillers. My understanding is that she picks it up at the still and it

never leaves her possession. Once the product passes through sales channels, particualrly dealing with newbies, it

is easy to adulterate, and you can be sure it is. She's kind of a cool babe too.

Eden Botanicals sells a

nice C02, it reminds me of a cross between a pine forest floor and maple suryp with some other undefinable thing

going on...

You could hit a nice balance by mixing C02 from Eden with steam distilled from

Enfleurage.

This is good quality Lao... the $500 a tola business is more like a vintage year wine from some

incredibly deep Aquilaria wood... I've heard of mind blowing prices for the absolute best, such as $50,000 for a

not so big bottle of it....

The psycoactive effect is in the dissociative family, it reminds me rather more

of Salvia Divinorum which has an affinity for opoid receptors... mellowing, moderately codeine like, contemplative,

sexy... larger quantities can make you sweat copiously....

Remember that Aloeswood comes

from many places beside Laos, which is a small country.
    India, Vietnam, Papau, Malaysia, Cambodia, Indonisia,

Borneo and Burma to name a few. The Laotian is nice, so is the Malaysian. I'll be able to tell you more about

indonisian oil in a few days.

Surfsup is right to advise you to be careful about who you deal with, the same as

you would in buying any other exotic product. But there are many reputable dealers out there who sell high quality

Oud from many nations. I only mentioned Oriscent because they are a distiller and have an outstanding reputation for

quality and purity.

Actually, the $500 a tola is a stock item from an Indian distiller.

I have done some

reading on the subject. If I can manage to get away from the business I am planning a trip to Asia this year and

intend to come back with some first hand knowledge. If you would like to learn more about aloeswood, here are some

good links. The last one is one of the largest Laotian wholesalers and is an excellent resource if you prefer to go

straight to the source whenever possible:

http://www.aloeswood.net/
    http://www.scentsofearth.com/Kodo/Rikkoku.htm
    http://www.olle

r.net/aloes_desc.htm

http://www.scentsofearth.com/Kodo

/Aloeswood.htm

http://www.worldwi

ldlife.org/expeditions/newguinea/notes_garahu1.cfm

http://www.saudiaramcoworld.com/issue/200006/the.hidden.history.of.scented.wood.htm

http://www.magiensunivers.dk/herbal

hints/monographs/aloeswood.asp

http://www.traffic.org/news/agarwo

od

http://forestpathology.

coafes.umn.edu/Agarwood%20research%20in%20Bhutan.htm

http://www.ecoworld.com/Home/articles2.cfm?TID=135
    http://www.xaiudom

.laopdr.com/
    Last edited by belgareth; 03-27-2005 at 03:17 AM.

Thomas Jefferson

How did

you mix it with NPA/SOE (premix or separate)?
    Mobley,

Sorry, I seem to have overlooked your

question. I applied them on my forearm, NPA or SoE and rub my arms together. Then Oud over it the same way. My

thought was that the heavy oil of the Oud would slow down dispersal of the NPA. Don't know if it worked or not.

Thomas Jefferson

Journeyman

Why is there such a

difference between the price of oud at Enfleurage (seeimingly their best quality oud) and the highest quality oud at

oriscent?
    To reap the most benefot from oud's psychoactive effects, including it's effect as an aphrodisiac,

what degree of quality (or type) of oud is best?
    Thanks.

Different products, degree of

rarity and probably a hundred other factors play into pricing of Oud or any other product. Or maybe it's just the

standard business philosophy of whatever the market will bear. I can't speak for the Oriscent products other than

what I have already said above. But people pay those prices, people who know a lot more than I do about it. Their

reputation as both a distiller and distributor is impeccable and that carries a lot of weight with me. I know that

Oriscent is an India based company and that's where the most experienced, sophisticated distillers of Oud are

supposed to be.

You also should keep in mind that the retailer in New York is selling in a country where

Aloeswood is not well known and many of these companies are based in and selling in a place where it is much more

common. Knowledge may make all the difference.

They only other thing I can suggest is that you follow those

links I posted and learn more yourself.

Thomas Jefferson

I've had Oriscent recommended

to me before on a perfume board I belong to - so that's two recs!
    Last edited by silksand; 03-28-2005 at 07:47 PM.

Phero Enthusiast

Default There's an ancient ritualistic thing about it

probably many of the ritual nuances would be lost on someone who hasn't spent a lifetime in an incense

culture... ultimately you have to decide what you want from the experience. I was combining fragrances from Santa

Maria Novella and Lorenzo Villoresi, added in a shot of Lao Oud and some concentrated androstenone, which also has

an interesting perfumery use as well as a pheromone, it can add an authoritative musky punch to the mix...anyway,

this combination was unusual to say the least... totally masculine in way that other male fragrances rather paled

next to, although it was only a bit Lao Oud.... Lao and Patchouli seem to work out nicely together...

Quote Originally Posted by surfs_up
    totally

masculine in way that other male fragrances rather paled next to,
    Very true from a woman's perspective.

Silksand:

Get some for your husband to wear. You will love it on him. Belgareth found the first he bought on

e-bay. It is a good way to try it in small amounts.

He is in the shower right now and I am going to make him put

some on before we go to dinner. I have plans for tonight!

Hi, wood elf! I'd love to

smell it on him, but it would have to be *his* idea. He has yet to even open any of the L-S trial packets I gave him

- he doesn't wear scent ever...

Recieved my third bottle of

Aloeswood oil today. Now I have it from Laos, Malaysia and Indonesia and have a bottle of Indian on order. Of the

three I like the Indonesian scent the best. The Laotian is a woody, leathery smell. Malaysian is less leather and a

smell that makes me think of green, growing things in the deep forests. The Indonesian has the strong woody, leather

smell overlaid by an almost peppery scent. I'm simplifying because I am not knowledgable about scents, each is a

complex scent that is beyond me to describe.

I want to experiment some more but am becoming convinced that

aloeswood has both strong psychoactive properties and is a true aphrodisiac. It combines very well with a couple

dabs of NPA for some really strong effects on the people around me.

Ok, Mobley. I'll pass results along in

time. I want to be sure of my results first.

Thomas Jefferson

Journeyman

Belgareth, could women

wear these ouds? Or, are they too masculine in scent?
    Also, would you suppose that the aphrodisiac effects of oud

will work on both genders...would men be attracted to the scent of oud? It seems you've discovered that women are

certainly attracted to it. I wondered if it had the same one-gender affect of patchouli, which tends to attract

women but not men.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

Oud is a very masculine scent.

I can't imagine it on a woman unless it was mixed with something to mellow it. DST suggested trying it in rose oil

and I can ask Wood Elf to try it.

It has a mellowing, calming effect on me. I am more relaxed while wearing them

but I wouldn't say it is an aphrosisiac for me. But keep in mind that individual differences may make it one for

some men.

Thomas Jefferson

Well, Bel, after reading about

your enthusiasm for aloeswood, nothing would do but for me to experience it. Now not wanting to go overboard on the

first venture I decided I'd pick up a sample from Eden Botanicals, where it only cost $2 to experience the scent.

I enjoyed it, a lot, and am now searching for a higher quality. Eden's comes from cultivated India trees and by

their own admission is not high grade, but affordable. Who did you get your Indonesian from?

Page 1 of 11 1 ... LastLast

Thread Information