Close

Stranger

Default The benefits of being vegetarian

visit-red-300x50PNG
    You might have heard enough about the size-zero measurement of Bollywood actress Kareena Kapoor. The more inquisitive minds might have searched for more details and at last found that she owes her measurement to ``the strict vegetarian diet’’. Again, you might have gone through a series of news items on celebrities turning vegetarian and you will be still wondering whether it has become a trend/fashion. ``Turning vegetarian is not a `style statement’. A vegetarian diet is what best suits our health and our climate,’’ says Manu Sajan, a dietician based in Bangalore. ``It helps to keep us away from many diseases,’’ he adds.

According to Sriraj, a software engineer who turned vegetarian two years back, it was a decision that changed `history of his health.’ ``I was so fond of meat and fish and I used to dig into the chicken/mutton or beef curries. But I was a chronic patient, affected by asthma/skin allergy/ constipation or some other disease from time to time, ‘’ he says.

``I did not recognize that all these diseases have a common cause and it was my body’s resistance to non-vegetarian food. At last when I was disturbed by piles disease and went for the practitioner advised me to avoid non vegetarian food for six months. It worked well. All through the period, I was not affected by any disease, so I decided to continue the diet,’’ he concludes. So, want to be healthy? Better turn vegetarian today itself.
    Last edited by idesign; 07-20-2011 at 09:12 AM. Reason: removed link

I have been strictly vegetarian since I was 23; no regrets. Good for mind and body.
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

Check out the new movie "Forks over Knives". Very enlightening on the subject.

B
    To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

- Buddha

Yoga in Eugene
    Fair Trade crafts from Peru

I have also been a vegetarian since I was 14 (22 years ago). And while I have been blessed with robust health my entire life and rarely get sick, not eating meat in and of itself does not guarantee good health. One could never eat a bite of fresh produce and still be a "vegetarian" even though it is these fresh foods that are the key to real health ..... in my humble opinion.

Peace & veggies to all and to all a good night! Hehe

Stranger

Hi Rodger,
    Informative post and like to add being vegetarian improves our health and lead to healthy lifestyle as being vegetarian helps in losing and maintaining healthy body weight and boost our energy levels. Being vegetarian prevent us from high blood pressure, cholesterol, stroke, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer.

Stranger

I am not a vegetarian but I eat vegetables, maybe I would say I do a balance diet meal. I admit that vegetables are very beneficial for our health and we can eat them without restrictions, anyone could eat it unlike other foods where it should be avoided or lessen. I tried eating a vegan salad and burger, it tastes good just like the ordinary food.
    Do not post links to your website!

Thread Information