Close

Phero Pro

Default Any atkins diet people on here?

visit-red-300x50PNG
    IIRC

altering ones diet can have an impact on your natural signature. Anyone on here currently on atkins or have tried

it and noticed a difference (hit wise) when applying mones?

I've heard that when you are

in ketosis you develop a distinct and somewhat unpleasant odor and bad breath. That would have some effect, I would

think.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

When you are in ketosis, your

breath smells, your farts REEEEEEK even worse, and your body odor does get a bit more unpleasant, but extra showers

can help with that.

MB
    "You are a sick f*ck, but I wouldn't have you any other way. "
    ~Becca

I ain't on the Atkins diet, but

because I'm a bodybuilder I extremely restrict my carb and sugar intake which is what the basis of the Atkins diet

is. I saw good hits when using NPA and I never noticed any of those side effects that my man listed above.

Like Sito above, I limit my

carbs (no wheat at all, but plenty of fruit and vegetables) and sugar (occasionally very very dark chocolate with

minimal sugar), and have had only good effects (including digestion) as a result. I have never been even close to

overweight, so I never needed the full-tilt Atkins.
    Both NPA and Chikara have worked for me, but not SOE or

Perception.

Limited carbs are WAY different

than keto. Your body is using completely different pathways for energy creation when in keto vs. limited

carbs.

MB
    ~Becca

Its practically the same basis. Keto

is simply eating NO carbs at all which is a stupid decision in my opinion because you need a decent complex carb

intake to have the energy to lift and function daily. The Atkins diet basically says "Don't eat carbs... at all"

and thats a big mistake. Caffeine and other stimulants are not a good substitute for complex carbs. I used to eat

Keto foods which are made by the company Keto and its the same thing.

I stay away from refined carbs and

sugar, but I do make sure I get a sufficient amount of complex carbs each day. I made the mistake of going on Keto

and not eating any carbs at all and its ONLY good for people trying to lose weight quickly. I never experienced any

of the side effects you claimed happens to people on keto. The only two side effects I saw from keto was an

extremely low amount of energy and decrease in everyday functioning.

People who diminish their ENTIRE carb

intake will feel lethargic and have little or no energy to engage in real workouts. People who go on the Atkins diet

like it because they don't need to workout or do anything to serious cuz the ketosis is taking care of it. But to

others who lift religously its a death wish.

I don't recommend the Atkins diet to anyone who is a

bodybuilder or powerlifter. You MIGHT lose weight on the atkins diet, but you will also lose a good amount of muscle

in the process.

I am not on the Atkins diet but

have read the latest two books for Atkins dieters and what you are saying are common misconceptions about it. Firtst

Atkins only takes you off carbs temporarily. Once you start losing weight you are supposed to increase your carb

intake to reach a balance point. The books are very specific about avoiding sugars and such but carbs are part of

the long term diet. Atkins also brings up exercise in many places in the book as part of a long term regimine. At no

point does it say or imply you do not need to exercise. Also, most people who go on the Atkins diet report MORE

energy, not less.

I don't claim to be a medical person or even really understand the issues involved. I read

the books, along with the southbeach books trying to understand it better. That only puzzled me more because,

despite the fact that it goes against everything I thought was correct about dieting and diet in general, it works

well for many people. Even talking to my doctor didn't really answer the questions, he has no problem with it so

long as a person is monitored closely and doesn't over do the saturated fats.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

I'm saying it lowers energy from my

personal experience. I also know many people including my mother who have been on the Atkins diet by the book and

felt like crap during the dieting phase. And yea they probably say to do some sort of light exercise, but doing

heavy lifting would not bode well with an Atkins diet. What also happens with the Atkins diet is that many people

will continue to cut their carbs regardless of what the book says because dozens of other diets preach the

importance of eliminating carbs from your diet. People will come to the conclusion that cutting out all carbs will

accelerate the fat loss.

I'm not doubting that it doesn't work for losing weight. I was on a similair diet

during my cutting stage where I ate no more than 5 grams of carbs a day and saw good weight loss but lost a good

amount of muscle too, and I was tired all the time. I had to counter the effects of that by using an ECA stack which

worked, but only for a small amount of time and the ECA stack caused stomach pain when you didn't have sufficient

carbs or food in your system at the time of ingestion. Man the price we pay to look good!

My point is that I

didn't see any of those side effects that Manbeast pointed out happens when on Keto diets. The other stuff I posted

was drawn from my personal experience with those kinds of cutting diets and from what I saw from other friends and

family who tried the Atkins diet or other forms of Keto. If your trying to lose weight and your NOT a bodybuilder or

athlete, then the Atkins diet might be a solution for you. I know it works, but when you do the stuff I do in the

gym you gain a greater appreciation for those carbs and how they help.

You can't really blame the

Atkins diet for how people interpret it, can you? If they choose to keep the carbs down or to not exercise that is

not the fault if the diet.

I'm curious how long you went low carb. There's a good reason that ketosis causes

you to smell and gives you bad breath, the ketones that your body produces smell bad. If you were not producing

keytones the smell would not be there and there would be a problem with energy as that is what the body burns for

fuel when you don't have sufficiant carb intake.

I don't call myself an athlete even though I still visit the

dojo 3-4 times a week for a couple hours. I get all my carbs from grains, nuts and fruit. I have no problem with

energy and certainly don't consume anywhere near the number of carbs they say I should.

Thomas Jefferson

Like I said, complex carbs like the

ones you mentioned are sufficient. I was on a diet where I wasn't even taking in complex carbs. I take in a decent

amount of complex carbs daily and I don't have any energy problems now.

But to answer your question, I was

on that diet for 5 straight months and taking in much less carbs than what is advised by Atkins.

I'm not

putting the blame on Atkins, but people in general tend to go by what they hear by word of mouth. I mean lets be

serious; the consensus on carbs is to stay away from them, and this is blatantly expressed through the media and

other news outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by sito
    Its practically the

same basis. Keto is simply eating NO carbs at all which is a stupid decision in my opinion because you need a decent

complex carb intake to have the energy to lift and function daily. The Atkins diet basically says "Don't eat

carbs... at all" and thats a big mistake. Caffeine and other stimulants are not a good substitute for complex carbs.

I used to eat Keto foods which are made by the company Keto and its the same thing.

I stay away from refined

carbs and sugar, but I do make sure I get a sufficient amount of complex carbs each day. I made the mistake of going

on Keto and not eating any carbs at all and its ONLY good for people trying to lose weight quickly. I never

experienced any of the side effects you claimed happens to people on keto. The only two side effects I saw from keto

was an extremely low amount of energy and decrease in everyday functioning.

People who diminish their ENTIRE

carb intake will feel lethargic and have little or no energy to engage in real workouts. People who go on the Atkins

diet like it because they don't need to workout or do anything to serious cuz the ketosis is taking care of it. But

to others who lift religously its a death wish.

I don't recommend the Atkins diet to anyone who is a

bodybuilder or powerlifter. You MIGHT lose weight on the atkins diet, but you will also lose a good amount of muscle

in the process.

Your post is about 95% inaccurate.
    Do some research.

Atkins does not

advocate zero carbs, nor does your energy levels drop, they actually go up.

The muscle loss myth is just that

as well.

I will not speak of Atkins, for

I have never used it and from what I've read, it's not for me. But I will talk about the Cyclical/targeted

Ketogenic Diet.
    1) Muscle loss does NOT occur if done properly.
    2) Lethargy is a known issue, espeically in

the beginning when your body is still in shock. Energy levels do come back up, but not quite to "normal" IMHO. This

can be percieved as a loss in strength due to the feelings of "drag-ass" (yes, that's a technical term )
    3)

Keto works great until about 12% bodyfat (for males) and then slows drastically.
    4) Keto is a SHORT-term diet (16

weeks max), living on it is really not fun for extended periods of time.
    5) Keto requires precise nutrient timing

and portioning.
    6) The trick to no re-bound gain is in how you transition off. If you go immediately back into a

"normal" diet, your body will hoarde and store carbs you put in as fat for two reasons:
    A) You haven't had

carbs, so your body wants to "store" them when it gets them.
    B) You have been loosing fat, from an evoloutionary

standpoint, this is BAD! Fat = survival to the body, so again, it's going to want to put it back on.
    So

transitioning off is the key to proper use of a keto (and I'm going to extend this one to atkins as well)

diet.

MB
    ~Becca

Quote Originally Posted by PHP 87
    Your post is about 95%

inaccurate.
    Do some research.

Atkins does not advocate zero carbs, nor does your energy levels drop, they

actually go up.

The muscle loss myth is just that as well.
    Like I said, I based my comments on

what I have experienced personally and what I've seen others go through while on that diet. And if you read my last

post you will see that I'm not completely downplaying Atkins and saying its a bad diet.

I was on something

very similair to Atkins, that was actually more drastic than Atkins, and saw good weight loss. I was not the only

person who experienced muscle loss due to diets similair to Atkins. And once again this diet is not for serious

bodybuilders or powerlifters.

If you don't already have a substantial amount of muscle or if you have too

much fat on your body, of course your not going to notice a loss in muscle. However, I was able to see the

difference when I finished my diet and I was not pleased at all.

I don't know if your statement was based

off of what other people have written or said, but research doesn't come close to actually experiencing it for your

self. And of course if you read the Atkins book they are going to say muscle and energy loss does not occur. Do you

honestly think anybody would buy that book if they spoke of what is very likely to happen? people only want to hear

the good stuff without having any doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBeast
    I will not speak of

Atkins, for I have never used it and from what I've read, it's not for me. But I will talk about the

Cyclical/targeted Ketogenic Diet.
    1) Muscle loss does NOT occur if done properly.
    2) Lethargy is a known

issue, espeically in the beginning when your body is still in shock. Energy levels do come back up, but not quite to

"normal" IMHO. This can be percieved as a loss in strength due to the feelings of "drag-ass" (yes, that's a

technical term )
    3) Keto works great until about 12% bodyfat (for males) and then slows drastically.
    4)

Keto is a SHORT-term diet (16 weeks max), living on it is really not fun for extended periods of time.
    5) Keto

requires precise nutrient timing and portioning.
    6) The trick to no re-bound gain is in how you transition off.

If you go immediately back into a "normal" diet, your body will hoarde and store carbs you put in as fat for two

reasons:
    A) You haven't had carbs, so your body wants to "store" them when it gets them.
    B) You have been

loosing fat, from an evoloutionary standpoint, this is BAD! Fat = survival to the body, so again, it's going to

want to put it back on.
    So transitioning off is the key to proper use of a keto (and I'm going to extend this

one to atkins as well) diet.

MB
    You are right, if done correctly. Which is something most

people on diets do not do. A lot of times these diets leave out other factors that could affect your muscle

gains/loss. That is my main beef with diets that claim you will not lose muscle or energy. They claim you won't

experience any losses but don't prove it through logical reasoning. I mean retaining muscle when you diet can be

brokendown very simply:

1.) Increase your daily protein intake to 1-1.5 grams per pound of body

weight.
    2.) Increase your water intake
    3.) Supplement with multivitamins, amino acids, creatine, etc.
    4.)

Hit the weights everyday and avoid cardio exercises.

Well this is my first post

to these forums (although I have been reading them for several days now) because this is the first subject I can

speak with a lot of knowledge on. First of all if there is any confusion on this let me say it clearly that Atkins

Does Not advocate no carb diet rather the first phase consists of 20/grams per day for on average the first 2-3

weeks. After that increasing your increments 5grams per day/per week, until you reach a point where you plateau

(no more weight gain or loss), for me that is about 120 gms/day. As far as bad breath goes that is not exactly

true, rather your breath takes on a sweet smell that is not common to humans so people assume it's bad breath. In

reagards to loss of muscle mass that means you are not eating enough proteins which is how this diet processes

energy and when you don't enough protein your body takes the proteins out of your muscle mass. The last point I

will address for everyone is lack of energy. While it is true for the first couple of days (while your body is

making the transformation) you will be lethargic (and constipated), after you body starts processing protein for

energy you will have much more energy and feel suprisingly better about your well being. I never noticed any change

in body odor amongst my self or several other people who began the diet after I seeing my sucess but as to pheremone

there is no telling.

Thread Information