Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

visit-red-300x50PNG
    It could definitely imprint some sort

of psychological trauma that manifests itself for the rest of his life.

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

It's called child abuse.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

No I am not defending using

a stun gun on a six year old... there were different ways to handle that no doubt... But yes the problem was

diffused.... and no one got hurt.

But people are sitting here putting a dark image over all the people who

protect and serve, with a very obtuse generalization.

Someone who does put their life on the line everyday is

criticizing someone who does. Which you have no room to do so when you do know do so yourself.

Being were I

am I no longer listen to media one bit... no matter how many sources it comes from (Considering they stake each

other out)... I only give my opinion on stuff I witness first hand, or have had expierience in. Which some people

should think about, before they go speaking out against something they have no CLUE about.

Adams

I happen to be a child

psychologist and I've got news for you: Emotional and physical trauma is getting hurt, especially when you're six.

The damage from either emotional or physical abuse can take a lifetime to heal.

Child care and education are

neither war nor beat policing. Just because somebody has a gun doesn't excuse him or her from knowing the

difference. To imagine that a six year old with a piece of glass, in a roomful of professional adults, is a grave

mortal threat would almost be paranoid and antisocial thinking. I could say that people who lack knowledge, training

and experience regarding taking care of disturbed kids have no room to talk about how to do so in a crisis.

People who protect and serve needn't feel like victims when asked to take responsibility for their irresponsible

actions, and find safer approaches to working with the community that hired them to protect and serve.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 11-15-2004 at 03:24 AM.

Phero Dude

Did you see about the 76 year

old woman tasered for not leaving a nursing home?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10...nny_spark_out/

What about the guy who was stealing

electricity who was killed by a taser? (irony surrenders)

http://www.rightsideadvisors.com/fee...x?ArticleID=50
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetetive electronic music." --Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc., 1989

I think DAdams problem is that people

who become cops or soldier are put in situations where the right and wrong path isn't always immediately known, and

that they deserve a greater margin for error because mistakes will happen. They shouldn't be punished for putting

themselves in vunerable situations - afterall human error is inevitable, and there are plenty of grey

areas.

I agree there has to be accountability though, whether it be doctors, cops, soldiers etc. But they

also deserve some sort of allowance to f*ck up since they are putting themselves in situations where mistakes will

be made, and it is hard to ask for a cop or soldier to be on the other side of the mistake (ie get

shot).

That does not mean they should allowed to be negligent, however.

Agreed, in general.

Of

course a soldier needs a greater margin of error in a war -- a cop on a traffic stop too.

The following

was a somewhat different kind of incident, for example, though still a serious matter:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/11/15

/marine.probe/index.html

The problem is that this is not the issue here; just as it's not an issue of

random error in a crisis.

If you walk into, say, a day care to attend to an out of control 6 year old, your

mind set and menu of interventions has to be different from the outset. It's not like you're busting a crack

house.

And of course, there were multiple problems in the situation, and plenty of blame to go around.

The

biggest problem is education and law enforcement training rather than the individual officer, who nonetheless also

played a part. This is systemic with law enforcement. Funding loss is always an issue too. At least in Oregon, there

is big problem with lack of support for training. More thorough training also gives you a chance to spot those who

may be psychologically inappropriate for police duty.

The issue is also not one of failing to understand and

forgive when someone -- or a system -- makes a mistake and owns up, seeking to repair the problem.

On

the other hand, there's no excuse for someone involved failing to see there's a problem. People thinking

out loud or shooting the breeze in a forum is different, and not a big deal. But I also hope the public is not

growing accustomed and complacent regarding misuses of force.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 11-15-2004 at 08:56 PM.

Phero Guru

Default none

I always thought that two

wrongs didn't make a right. Guess I'm getting old. I really hope that DCW is in the same age bracket as Adams,

Pancho, and Sweet Brenda - otherwise my opinion of that age group is going to be lessened. I'm amazed, really

amazed.
    There is a cure for electile dysfuntion!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by koolking1
    I always thought

that two wrongs didn't make a right. Guess I'm getting old. I really hope that DCW is in the same age bracket as

Adams, Pancho, and Sweet Brenda - otherwise my opinion of that age group is going to be lessened. I'm amazed,

really amazed.
    I'm not sure what your point is.

DCW

Quote Originally Posted by DCW
    I'm not sure what your

point is.

DCW
    Ok I get now

Actually I 'm pretty sure I'm older and I often

lie about my age especially on the web

DCW

I always

thought that two wrongs didn't make a right. Guess I'm getting old. I really hope that DCW is in the same age

bracket as Adams, Pancho, and Sweet Brenda - otherwise my opinion of that age group is going to be lessened. I'm

amazed, really amazed.
    Most that age try on and take off beliefs like shopping for shoes; but eventually

pick ones that fit.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis
    Most that age

try on and take off beliefs like shopping for shoes; but eventually pick ones that fit.

We all

did it, if I remember right--then again I am old and senile!
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

I always

thought that two wrongs didn't make a right. Guess I'm getting old. I really hope that DCW is in the same age

bracket as Adams, Pancho, and Sweet Brenda - otherwise my opinion of that age group is going to be lessened. I'm

amazed, really amazed.
    Great words from someone who doesnt have to deal with this shit face to face.

BJF... that is essentially what I am trying to say... not so much that you should give them a margin of error...

but it might be a differnet story if you were to be in the situation they were in.

But like I said... Everyone

here has their own opinion, and I am not trying to change that.. but to put yourself in other people shoes, and then

make an informed decision... NOT FROM THE DAMN MEDIA!!!

Adams

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982
    Great words from

someone who doesnt have to deal with this shit face to face.

Adams
    While I appreciate what

you are doing, please be aware that you are not the first, nor will you be the last to "deal with this sh!t face to

face".

I was dealing with it before you were (probably) born, ever heard of a place called Viet Nam??

At least you get to be a "hero", not "a baby raper and mother killer"!
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

Phero Guru

Default none

Adams, you really don't

understand the caliber of many of the posters here. I have 1003 days, yes 1000 and 3 days of IndoChina service.

And, I still feel no need for anyone in this country to use a stun gun on a child, or a law-abiding adult for that

matter (protestors come to mind).

Again, I hope I appreciate the

work DAdams and his colleagues are doing. I don't know much about fighting wars.

In my 15 years of child MH

work, though, I've often been face to face with more out of control, emotionally and behaviorally disturbed kids in

a week than most humans will be in a lifetime. In addition, I just came off of 3-4 years general mental health

crisis work, where I was helping suicidal folks and others in crises multiple times every day. We also did crisis

work for 9/11 (as it was happening on 9/11 and after), anthrax incidents, and the space shuttle disaster. So if I

was in that particular situation with the boy and his glass I'm pretty sure I'd be calmer, sharper and exercise

better judgement than I would in most normal, day-to-day situations; like, say, waiting in line at the DEQ. It

would be just another interesting day at work in many respects, and that child almost surely would not have hurt

himself further after the intervention started.

I mostly worry about folks being in those situations without

having the necessary training, just like I'd worry about my own ability to bust a crack house. Cops would not

typically have the necessary training, sadly.

Communities need mental health professionals to work closely with

law enforcement for sure, since it's so freaking common to encounter disturbed individuals. It wouldn't hurt the

military either to have training in mental health crisis. The best way to handle an emergency is to avoid it in the

first place, no matter how well armed you are.

Journeyman

Thumbs down

Totally Agree with you DST.

I too have been there. No need for this extreme force.
    Officers untrained!

Elk

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnjim
    While I

appreciate what you are doing, please be aware that you are not the first, nor will you be the last to "deal with

this sh!t face to face".

I was dealing with it before you were (probably) born, ever heard of a place

called Viet Nam??

At least you get to be a "hero", not "a baby raper and mother killer"!

And you know... I never said I was the first or last... The people of Vietnam have my complete

respect... You say people call me hero... but I get alot of the same flak that the people of Vietnam get. Which is

wrong... We are troops that follow orders... Though I do complete agree with what is happening.

Adams

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis
    Again, I

hope I appreciate the work DAdams and his colleagues are doing. I don't know much about fighting wars.

In my 15

years of child MH work, though, I've often been face to face with more out of control, emotionally and behaviorally

disturbed kids in a week than most humans will be in a lifetime. In addition, I just came off of 3-4 years general

mental health crisis work, where I was helping suicidal folks and others in crises multiple times every day. We also

did crisis work for 9/11 (as it was happening on 9/11 and after), anthrax incidents, and the space shuttle disaster.

So if I was in that particular situation with the boy and his glass I'm pretty sure I'd be calmer, sharper and

exercise better judgement than I would in most normal, day-to-day situations; like, say, waiting in line at the DEQ.

It would be just another interesting day at work in many respects, and that child almost surely would not have

hurt himself further after the intervention started.

I mostly worry about folks being in those situations

without having the necessary training, just like I'd worry about my own ability to bust a crack house. Cops would

not typically have the necessary training, sadly.

Communities need mental health professionals to work closely

with law enforcement for sure, since it's so freaking common to encounter disturbed individuals. It wouldn't hurt

the military either to have training in mental health crisis. The best way to handle an emergency is to avoid it in

the first place, no matter how well armed you are.
    And you know... that opinion is completely logical...

and more training is ALWAYS a plus... we in the military do get training... not for specifically situations like

this... but all around mental health... which has to be repeated yearly...

... And remember... Human basic

instincts are Reproduction, and Survival.

Adams

Adams, you

really don't understand the caliber of many of the posters here. I have 1003 days, yes 1000 and 3 days of IndoChina

service. And, I still feel no need for anyone in this country to use a stun gun on a child, or a law-abiding adult

for that matter (protestors come to mind).
    Then if your so High Caliber... why would you do something

petty like sterotyping a whole age bracket with 3 peoples opinions???

Kinda shots holes in any opinons you

throw out there.

Adams

Phero Dude

I think it was purely a matter

of luck that no one did get hurt, I agree; stun guns or tasers have no place being used on 6 year olds. Its

obviously crazy & I think it just reflects a growing fascist mentality amongst some members in the law enforcement

community.

Man of La Pancha

Pop quiz: A person holds a

piece of glass to a 6-year old boy. After trying to talk him out of it to no avail, do you use the stun gun on that

person to save the child?

Anyone would say yes to that. In fact, you'd probably say do whatever's necessary,

even if it means killing him, because he's threatening a child's life. Wouldn't you?

...well, the person just so happened to be himself in that situation. Ohhhh, now

it's different...what if it was one child with a piece of glass to another child's throat? Would you use the stun

gun then or would you just talk to the kid? What if it was a gun? Oh, now that's different...the

line's getting fuzzy now, isn't it...and you have all the time in the world to ponder morality without someone's

life on the line...I'm sure it's not so different when you're in the situation and you have to make a move or

somebody dies. I'm glad we can all sit and criticize the poor guy who saved the child's life for using a

method that didn't do so much as shake the boy up for 5 minutes...

Child abuse...whatever made that kid do

that was child abuse...what was done was in the child's best interest to keep him from hurting himself

further (yeah, let's not forget he already hurt himself three times). Psychological trauma...whatever caused

him to cut himself is the real psychological trauma. The cop prevented the child from killing himself so that he

could get the help he needed to erase that possible trauma and abuse (or just mental instability). Sure, there were

other ways to go about it, but obviously they didn't work, did they? Geez, everyone acts like the guy saw the kid

with a piece of glass and stunned him. Probably what actually happened was this went on for a while...the kid lost

it, the principle alerted others, the police finally arrived, they tried to talk him out of it, it didn't work, the

kid started cutting his own leg after cutting his eye and another part of his body...what do you do? Do you continue

to try and talk him out of it when he's in the middle of killing himself? Do you try to take him out and

accidentally slice the boy up or beat him to a pulp? Do you simply shock him and catch him as he temporarily loses

his ability to stand like his feet fell asleep for a few minutes and get him to the hospital to treat the

real threat---his self-inflicted wounds?

I'm very offended that someone would even for a second

question my values when I've been the leader in actually realizing the immediate threat of harm to that child,

himself, and the police officer's solution that caused minimal harm to the child compared to the damage he

was inflicting on himself at the time. Where are my values? That officer saved the boy's life and you're

crucifying him. Where are your values? What about all of those incidents where kids, teenagers, and even adults die

in a struggle because the gun went off, the knife/glass/weapon slipped and killed the person they were trying to

protect? What do you do then? You crucify the police officer for not doing his job properly without hurting someone

else because he had to use a method other than the best he had available because some 'armchair police officer'

(taking the term from football) thought he could do a better job.

I'm not saying walking up to a kid and

shocking him with a stun gun is perfectly normal. I'm saying in that situation, it was justified. The kid is fine,

there was no permanent harm done because of the incident, and any hesistation from that officer could've cost the

boy his life. That's how I see it. The officer did his job and saved a child's life. Where are my values? They're

right here where I support the people who do good in this world and only question them when they use excessive force

to harm a human being instead of help them.

There are much worse crimes in this world than temporarily

shocking a child to prevent him from hurting or killing himself. Those are the ones I'm worried about.

Values...more like priorities. The child's life was number one on that man's list, and you're all willing to

risk the child's life just so you don't use a stun gun and look bad. To me, that's wrong.

Well Stated Panch!

I agree. I have to ponder how to address tough situations that are life threatening every day. I

saved a girl form a rapist just 5 months ago. I also saved my self from two street thugs with base ball bats 2

months ago. In my aria we have right to carry permits and I have carried for 12 years. I teach safety and

marksmanship. I personally make my own ballistic gelatin and conduct ballistic studies. I spend a lot of time

studying physics relating to firearms and projectiles and going to marksmanship competitions. I have to contemplate

proper storage, the law and safety every day. To acquire a permit you must file an application to the Police and

State Police with finger prints. The application reads “This is not a permit to use a firearm it is a permit to

carry a fire arm. The only way you may use your firearm is if someone has the intensions and ability to cause

severe bodily harm to you or someone else’s person.” According to the law if you use profanity directed toward a

person when in an altercation with them you can be guilty of assault with a deadly weapon if you are armed when you

do it. You bare the responsibility to do every thing possible to defuse a bad situation. If you can run, run. You

may only use deadly force to stop some one from causing severe bodily harm or death to you or some one else.

You can’t just get mad because some one talks bad about your mother or

something. But i
    f you go into a bank and some guy picks up a little

girl and places a gun to her head and says I’ll blow her head off,” then you can legally pick him off and be

justified by the law. He was armed and had intentions to cause severe bodily harm or death to the little girl.

Many police are glad to arrive at the scene of an attempted rape to find an armed citizen with a rapist on the

ground face down waiting for the police to arrest him. I have been there. If he did not drop the knife that he had

to her throat I would have done what I had to do. I was not happy to be in that situation. I hope it never happens

again, but if I have to, I will do what I have to do to stop a horrific crime against a law abiding citizen. I

spent several days thinking about what happened. I thought about the ramifications of what could have happened.

How I felt about that was on my mind for weeks, I did not like it. I still know a woman was saved. It was

something I could not have done because of my stature if I was not armed. Now with the guys that thought I would be

a fun target because I am a smaller guy and they were both about 6’. As they approached me and I realized what was

about to happen, they were going to beet me with ball bats, I prepared like an old west gun fighter. I pulled my

shirt so to give me access and I un-latched it so I could use a quick drawl technique. Then they said “What, you

going to shoot us?” I said, “I don’t want to do that to your family and friends. My heart breaks just thinking

about all the people who’s life will be affected and will morn the loss. But, I will if I have to. I think it is

best for all, that you go home and enjoy your families. I suggest you go and give your mother a big hug and kiss.”

One of them put the bat about 3 inches from my face called me a short ugly mf and then they turned around and went

home. They cursed me all the way down the road. I am glad they lived. I am lucky. It is hard to defuse a bad

situation. You can’t think clearly. The adrenalin flows thick. You have to resort to training. I feel that I

could of disarmed the child manually, but I was not there. Pancho is correct there was ultimately less harm done

than if nothing was done. It is good to contemplate what your options are and how you can deal with a situation

because when it happens you don’t have the time to think about it you must act. P.S. What is an HK45Mark23?

HK45Mark23

I've been avoiding this

discussion because nobody on this forum was there and the details were very thin so we couldn't possibly know the

circumstances well enough to have a valid opinion. I agree with the comments about armchair quarterbacking the

event.

There were a lot of good arguments made for both sides of the debate. The one thing that is clear to me

though is that there was something dreadfully wrong in the first place, before it ended up with a child holding a

piece of glass. That is where our system failed the child; not in the final resolution, if you could call it that. I

hear all sorts of arguments about how we would have/should have handled it but hear nothing about how it could have

been prevented. I know from my own experience and training that almost every violent situation can be prevented and

that is where the real skill comes in and where the questions should be directed. Where did we go so far wrong that

a child felt so threatened or was so disturbed as to want to do himself or others harm?
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Man of La Pancha

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    There were

a lot of good arguments made for both sides of the debate. The one thing that is clear to me though is that there

was something dreadfully wrong in the first place, before it ended up with a child holding a piece of glass. That is

where our system failed the child; not in the final resolution, if you could call it that. I hear all sorts of

arguments about how we would have/should have handled it but hear nothing about how it could have been prevented. I

know from my own experience and training that almost every violent situation can be prevented and that is where the

real skill comes in and where the questions should be directed. Where did we go so far wrong that a child felt so

threatened or was so disturbed as to want to do himself or others harm?
    This is what I was

thinking, and I am sure DST was thinking the same thing as a professional in the field.

Phero Guru

Default none

Well, perhaps we should

leave it to the courts to decide for us in these two cases. I know if I were a parent of either of them, it would

go to court. I think it will. I will try to follow-up on this issue.

D Adams: "Then if your so High

Caliber... why would you do something petty like sterotyping a whole age bracket with 3 peoples opinions???

Kinda shots holes in any opinons you throw out there.

Adams"

Well Adams, did you not first

stereotype myself and others by proclaiming that we didn't really have the right to an opinion because "we hadn't

been there, done that". You were the first to jump to conclusions about posters on this thread. I can assure you,

we do have the right to our opinions and you are always welcome to criticise them if you so wish. You are smart,

now would you just please take a refresher course in H.S. English so your opinions will be easier to read. The Air

Force needs people who can write effectively. Do yourself a favor, take that class and one day you'll also be

"High Caliber"

Phero Guru

Default more news...

MIAMI (Nov. 20) -

The head of Miami-Dade Schools is asking police to never again use stun guns on elementary school children, as

officers have in at least two recent cases.

In a letter released Friday, Superintendent Rudy Crew told

Miami-Dade Police Director Bobby Parker that "certain tactics should never be used in dealing with young children -

particularly within a school."

The letter was released the same day Parker held a news conference to defend

the use of a 50,000-volt stun gun on a 6-year-old boy in a school office, saying the child had cut himself twice

with a shard of glass and was threatening further harm to himself.

Parker acknowledge that it was

questionable when an officer used a Taser stun gun on a 12-year-old girl, who was fleeing officers because she was

drunk and apparently skipping school.

Police officials did not return a call Saturday seeking comment on

Crew's letter.

On Friday, Parker said officials were reviewing their policy on stun gun use but that

officers will be allowed to continue using them until the review is complete.

The 6-year-old boy who was

stunned on Oct. 20 was treated and then hospitalized for psychiatric observation for five days. A lawyer retained by

his mother has not yet decided whether to file suit.

The girl was checked by a doctor after she was zapped

Nov. 5. The officer in that case voluntarily gave up his Taser, police spokesman Pete Andreu

said.

11/20/04 15:15 EST

Well,

perhaps we should leave it to the courts to decide for us in these two cases. I know if I were a parent of either of

them, it would go to court. I think it will. I will try to follow-up on this issue.

D Adams: "Then if your so

High Caliber... why would you do something petty like sterotyping a whole age bracket with 3 peoples opinions???

Kinda shots holes in any opinons you throw out there.

Adams"

Well Adams, did you not first stereotype

myself and others by proclaiming that we didn't really have the right to an opinion because "we hadn't been there,

done that". You were the first to jump to conclusions about posters on this thread. I can assure you, we do have the

right to our opinions and you are always welcome to criticise them if you so wish. You are smart, now would you just

please take a refresher course in H.S. English so your opinions will be easier to read. The Air Force needs people

who can write effectively. Do yourself a favor, take that class and one day you'll also be "High Caliber"

When all else fails... attack mistypes. Scraping the bottom of the barrel are we. You have never thought way

ahead of your typing???

And no I wasnt sterotyping... I was saying you have never been presented with these

situations... so therefor, you dont know what they were going through.

Adams

PS... I will read every post

you throw up VERY carefully, to try and pick up tips inside them, so when I come back to the civilization I have

sworn to protect... they will show me the same respect of a person like you. "High Caliber"

I think this has gone far

enough off track. Let's drop the personal attacks so I don't have to close the thread.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

If the cop can touch the kid

with a device 3 inches from his hand, the cop can CERTAINLY reach out and SMACK the kid. No, I meant grab the hand

the glass was in. How hard is it for any number of adults to bum rush a tiny kid. Glass or no glass.

Any human

extremly hurting himself, especialy at such a young age, is mentaly unstable. No degree of good or bad parenting can

"fix" a chemical imbalence in the human brain/body.

"The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways, by force!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast

Thread Information