Close

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Ya', they should have used a 12

gage, since he was obviously a terrorist!!
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

Phero Guru

Default none

Hey Citizen!!! drop that

weapon or we'll shoot!!! Can you blame 'em - no tanks backing them up this time.
    There is a cure for electile dysfuntion!!!!

Man of La Pancha

Why is that article

bullsh*t?

Phero Guru

Default none

it's not the article

that's being disparaged it's the fact that two police officers felt a need to use a stun gun on a 6 year old. Put

yourself in the shoes of those policemen and tell us if you would have accomplished things the same way??

On the face of it, it's hard

to imagine doing that to a kid. You'd think that 4 adults could have cornered or outsmarted him to keep him from

hurting himself. Hurting himself is the real issue here. I've thought about it several times today and just don't

know. Can you imagine a situation in a confined space where it was the only option to keep him from further harming

himself?

I wasn't there and don't understand the situation. My inclination is to think using a taser on a kid

was pretty extreme and uncalled for. But I don't know.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

It's partly lack of training.

Anyone working with a lot of kids like in a school needs training on crisis management. For that matter cops should

be trained in dealing with kids too. I've worked with the most disturbed and suicidal kids there are for many years

and I can guarantee you there was no need to do that. There is no way a six year old should be able to harm

himself that bad with glass while six adults are standing around, or even one adult. Not only did he harm himself,

he got shot with a stun gun or whatever. As a child advocate I found that a bit disgusting.

But yeah, they

should have called in a swat team.

volts is a lot for a 6 year old kid. Good thing it was not one of those 250,000 volt machines. The kid would have

died for sure. The kid was hostile and armed I can’t say if their actions were excessive or not but I think they

are lucky that 50,000 volts did not kill the kid. He might be a large 6 years old and have a psychological problem

that increases his adrenalin. Under the condition that the kid was producing high levels of adrenalin he could be

dangerous and hard to handle. We have a state mental institution in my city. It is for the criminally mental ill.

It is a maximum security mental health facility. Many children are there and they are dangerous.

HK45Mark23

I also worked on a kids unit

in a mental hospital for three years, and in another residential facility. You're trained in crisis diffusion,

takedowns, holds, safety, seclusion and restraint pretty heavily and regularly. This obviously highlights the need

for training of people working with large numbers of kids. Most incidents dont need to get that point at all. Six

years old is very young in mental illness and dangerousness terms. They really don't become impossible to control

that young in terms of a single crisis with a lot of adults around. I mean he had a piece of broken glass in his

tiny hand for chrissakes, not an AK47.

50,000 volts does sound like a lot. Nine volts sounds like a lot.

Angry

Yeah, someone has a lot of

explaining to do.

The police

report:
    http://www.miami.com/multimedia/miami/news/archive/taserreport.pdf

From the Miami

Herald:
    http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/10161183.htm?1c

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/

Yes DST,

I agree and I feel I could have

restrained this kid. My cousin and her husband work in children’s psychiatric wards and it is true that they know

how to handle such situations. I feel the school principal should have been able to have handled this child. She if

any one should have had the training. This also brings up my “opinion” about how parents are not being allowed to

punish their children. Then the parents are punished if the child commits a crime. This kid may just need a good

spanking or series of them over a period of time. Sorry if this offends any one. I was spanked and am a better

person for it. I probably needed more but my parents loved me and truly meant it when they said “This is going to

hurt me more than it will you.” I love them for disciplining me.

volts is a lot for a kid and the higher the # the stronger. The difference between volts, amps and watts is a theory

I can discuss.
    Standard Stun Gun Conventional stun guns and tasers have a

fairly simple design. They are about the size of a flashlight, and they work on ordinary 9-volt batteries.

The batteries supply electricity to a circuit consisting of various electrical components. The circuitry

includes multiple

transformers, components that boost the

voltage in the circuit, typically to between 20,000 and 150,000 volts, or as many as 625,000 volts and reduce the

amperage. It also includes an oscillator, a component that fluctuates current to produce a specific pulse

pattern of electricity. This current charges a

capacitor. The capacitor builds up a charge,

and releases it to the electrodes, the "business end" of the circuit. The electrodes are simply two plates of

conducting metal positioned in the circuit with a gap between them. Since the electrodes are positioned along the

circuit, they have a high voltage difference between them. If you fill this gap with a conductor (say, the

attacker's body), the electrical pulses will try to move from one electrode the other, dumping electricity into the

attacker's nervous system. Cattle Prods Cattle prods are similar to stun guns in design -- they apply an electrical

current across two electrodes -- but they serve a completely different function. A stun gun uses an electrical

charge to incapacitate someone, while a cattle prod applies a charge to get a person or animal moving. A cattle prod

only causes pain; it does not significantly affect the muscles and nervous system of the body. These two devices

differ mainly in voltage. The voltage in a stun gun is high enough to dump electricity into the entire

body. The lower voltage in a cattle prod only shocks someone at the point of contact.

HK45Mark23
    Last edited by HK45Mark23; 11-13-2004 at 12:54 AM.

I did a search on Google and

found this.
    How Stun Guns Work
    A stun gun is an

electrical self-defense device that uses high voltage to stop an attacker. Touching a person with the prongs on the

stun gun quickly immobilizes the attacker. However, because the amperage is very low, no serious or permanent injury

is inflicted.
    Stun guns are designed to key into the nervous system. They dump their energy into the muscles at a

different frequency than the pulse waves emanating from the brain. The pulse waves coming from the brain and those

from the stun gun collide at the nerve synapse' which is a type of complex processing switch adjacent to each

muscle group. The resulting energy collision makes it difficult for an attacker to move and function. This causes

disorientation and loss of balance and leaves the attacker in a passive and confused condition for several minutes.

Still, stun guns have no significant effect on the heart and other organs.
    As a general rule, a one-half second

contact from a stun gun will repel and startle the attacker, giving some pain and muscle contraction. One to two

seconds will cause muscle spasms and a dazed mental state. Over three seconds will cause loss of balance and muscle

control, mental confusion and disorientation.
    However, don't think about how many seconds you should hold the stun

gun to your attacker. Think about it this way. Throw out what the books say and the online information you have read

about stun guns. You should hold your stun gun to the assailant until they drop and you can get away and call the

police, whether that may be one second or six seconds.
    What is the difference between the 80,000 volt model and the

625,000 you might ask? Look at it this way, both stun guns will render your assailant helpless, but you might have

to hold the 80kv Talon mini a second or two longer than the 625kv Stunmaster. Consider this. A stun gun is effective

on most all parts of the body. But give yourself the best chance to get the best of your attacker. Hold the stun gun

on a body part that has a lot of surface area, such as the chest, abdomen, groin, kidneys, back, etc. An area such

as the arm or leg will work fine, but these body parts do not allow you the same amount of surface area that you

will need to contact for a few seconds.
    What does a stun gun feel like? If you have ever hit your funny bone,

multiply that by ten thousand and extend it throughout your entire body. The inablility to function and feeling of

helplessness combined with the sensation of millions of tiny needles going through your body provides certain

inherent physical, mental and emotional trauma.
    The electrical shock that emits from the stunning device will not

pass from the person being stunned to the person doing the stunning. The effect is localized only in the affected

area and does not pass through the body. Even if you or the attacker are wet or standing in water, you will not be

shocked.

HK45Mark23

50,000 Volts will not

kill... it isnt the volts that kills... it is the current... I dont believe it puts out enough current to kill...

even a 6 year old

adams

No, in a vast majority of cases

it will not kill. The amperage is miniscule and unless there is some other underlying issue it shouldn't be fatal.

You can get as many volts through you from a bad static shock although the duration is much shorter and the

frequency is not intended to disrupt nerve activity like a stun gun does. There have been fatalities associated with

stun guns but the victim had other problems also.

I think the Doc's point is that the adults present should

have been able to handle it without the stun gun. That's where all the uncertainty comes in. It seems like there

were a lot of failures leading up to the police taking action. It isn't a discipline issue, when a child gets to

the point of self inflicting harm, this is more than a temper tantrum. I am not at all oppossed to spanking a child

when appropriate but this case sounds like something different altogether.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, you are right Adams, and I totally agree Belgareth. It is possibly a result of

improper parenting or abuse.

I understand the topic of

the thread was different, and I agree with you on them points... just I threw in a little bit of knowledge I had

Adams

I don't see anyone griping about

police shooting unarmed "suspects" in the back.
    Why should they change their tactics now?

DCW

Quote Originally Posted by DCW
    I don't see

anyone griping about police shooting unarmed "suspects" in the back.
    Why should they change their tactics now?

DCW
    Completely different topic... but you put yourself in harms way why dont you... be a solution,

instead of bitching about the problem???

Adams

Quote Originally Posted by DAdams91982
    Completely

different topic... but you put yourself in harms way why dont you... be a solution, instead of bitching about the

problem???

Adams
    Exactly! When you enter an arena you have to accept the risks associated with it.

Thomas Jefferson

Phero Guru

Default I don't care if my post(s) get deleted but how's

about informing me in some way????

at any rate, here's this too:

Police

Tasered truant girl, 12

Miami Herald | Nov 13 2004

A Miami-Dade police officer used a Taser to

stop an unarmed, 12-year-old girl who was running away from him after she was caught skipping school, police

acknowledged Friday night.

The incident happened Nov. 5, just over two weeks after other Miami-Dade officers

used a stun gun to restrain a first-grader. In that case, police said the 6-year-old boy was holding a shard of

glass and threatening to cut himself. Police Director Bobby Parker defended the decision to shock the boy because he

could have seriously hurt himself.

But Parker said Friday that he could not defend the decision to shock the

fleeing 12-year-old, who was apparently drunk.

''Under the circumstances, we thought that he should not

have used the Taser,'' Parker said referring to the officer. ``It's likely that discipline will be

forthcoming.''

According to the incident report:

Officer William Nelson responded to an anonymous

complaint that some kids were swimming in a West Kendall pool, drinking alcohol and smoking cigars about 11

a.m.

Nelson said he noticed the girl was intoxicated and told her to get dressed so he could take her back to

school.

''While walking [the girl] to the police car, [she] took off running through the parking lot,''

Nelson wrote in his report.

Nelson, 38, a 15-year veteran, said he chased her and yelled several times for

her to stop. Nelson said he pulled out the Taser and fired when the girl began to run into traffic.

The

electric probes hit the girl in the neck and lower back, immobilizing her with 50,000 volts.

Nelson said he

fired ''for my safety along with [the girl's] safety.'' He could not be reached for comment.

Paramedics

treated the girl, who went home with her mother.

Parker said department policy permits officers to use the

Taser to apprehend someone, but he said he expected his officers to use better judgment -- especially when police

had no plans to arrest someone playing hooky.

''If you use it to apprehend an adult, it would be an arrest

kind of situation,'' said Parker, adding that the timing of the latest incident couldn't be any worse.

His

department is already under fire for using a Taser to subdue the 6-year-old last month. That zapping has made

national headlines and prompted calls from child advocates that Miami-Dade review its Taser use.

Parker said

Friday night that his department will review its Taser policy. ''That doesn't mean that we're going to change

it,'' he said.

County Commissioner Joe Martinez, a former Miami-Dade officer, said the policy needs to be

tightened.

''When you have a 6-year-old who is on medication and very disturbed, maybe some of that crisis

intervention training would be very handy,'' he said, referring to a program that teaches officers how to deal

with the mentally ill. ``Now, when I learn that a 12-year-old girl was running away, truant, and was also Tasered, I

think it's time we instruct the county manager to look at that policy.''

Asked if his officers had shocked

any other kids, Parker said: ``I asked the same question, are there more of these out there that I'm not aware of?

To my knowledge this is the only one.''

Completely

different topic... but you put yourself in harms way why dont you... be a solution, instead of bitching about the

problem???

Adams

Different topic??

I thought we were talking about excessive

force and proper training?
    And who's bicthing...not here.

DCW

Phero Guru

Default none

"I don't see anyone

griping about police shooting unarmed "suspects" in the back.
    Why should they change their tactics

now?

DCW"

I don't see how this could possibly be "off-topic". Police brutality includes not only

the use of stun guns, real guns, night-sticks, broomstick handles, fists, overly tightened handcuffs, etc etc.. I

don't really care too much when it comes to common everyday criminals but when we're talking kids and legitimate

political protestors I care a whole bunch.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by koolking1
    "I don't see anyone

griping about police shooting unarmed "suspects" in the back.
    Why should they change their tactics

now?

DCW"

I don't see how this could possibly be "off-topic". Police brutality includes not only

the use of stun guns, real guns, night-sticks, broomstick handles, fists, overly tightened handcuffs, etc etc.. I

don't really care too much when it comes to common everyday criminals but when we're talking kids and legitimate

political protestors I care a whole bunch.

Thank you, Thank you, someone finally got

it.

DCW

Police also need training in

dealing with kids.

Usually they're coming from a place of not accepting risk of physical harm or engaging in

physical intervention except when the result of incapacitation of a "subject" will be virtually guaranteed.

If they're going to "get physical", somebody is getting incapacitated. Further, if they're going to shoot, it

will be to kill.

There used to be a lot more emphasis on "halfway" measures like judo holds and the like. For

that matter, the days of "aiming for a leg "are long gone -- a "quaint" relic of the past (like the Geneva

Convention, according to Ashcroft's replacement ).

But with small kids, the issue is entirely different, in

that the risk of critical bodily harm to an officer is much lower, unless the kid has a gun or knife; and the

risk to the subject is much higher. A policy of least harmful intervention should be in place.

There are

various holds and restraint/seclusion proceedures that are time tested and court-tested -- that will stand scrutiny;

and have proved safe.

There is no excuse for police officers to not have this training. It also comes in handy

with other less dangerous "subjects". Police cannot have a situation were they are completely insulated from mixing

it up with anyone in such cases. That risk also comes with the territory.

Aside from that, 99 times out of 100,

a skilled crisis worker can diffuse a situation without anything "physical" happening.

In this case, chances

are someone could have just said "Billy, I'm going to help you stay safe with that glass", grabbed the child's

wrist, and freed the glass. At most the person would have gotten punched by a six year old. Big f-ing deal! There

are lots of other, more involved techniques that could have been tried, of course, and would have worked much

better, given the presence of multiple adults.

Some thick gloves over rubber would have helped, or even some

towels over rubber. Glass is a pretty common dangerous object to encounter, since it is the most readily available

dangerous thing. The factor here is that people are afraid of getting AIDS or Hepatitis through contact with bodily

fluids.

But there are priorities to consider, once you minimize risks to the extent possible.

Man of La Pancha

I still don't get why

everyone's making such a fuss. The 6-year old cut himself three times. The cop stopped himself from hurting

himself anymore, and the kid is not permanently harmed. In the other case, had a drunken 12-year old run out into

traffic and gotten killed while being chased by the police, you can be sure that officer would've been in three

times the trouble he's in now. After 15 years on the force, he saved himself a world of trouble.

When you're

in the heat of the moment with a worked-up kid, you have the option of taking him down with your hands or using the

taser. Kids are small and agile, and with his level of arousal he could've wiggled his way enough to hurt himself

further. He could've cut one of the people there. The taser was a sure thing.

I knew a guy who specialized

in pressure points and took down this psych patient who was huge and because of his illness could summon almost

inhuman strength. In fact, the two or three guys supposed to be handling him told the guy to let the patient go

because they could handle it, and when he did the patient flipped out again and the guy had to repeat his

technique.

As nice as it would be to teach every police officer those or similar techniques, the taser was just

as effective in those situations.

There is a major difference between killing someone and temporarily

incapacitating them, by the way...in these situations, I believe the police made the correct moves to protect

everyone involved. You can't expect the police, with the low budget it probably has in the first place, to be

trained in every form of disabling people known to man. As my friend once said, "I don't like how martial arts

shows you 1,500 ways to do things. When you're actually in a fight-or-flight situation, you forget it all.

You're not going to do a back flip into a flying spin kick. In those situations, you should master one move and be

able to use it effectively. After all, fights aren't like in the movies. Fights last 2 seconds. You have time

for one move to take the other guy down. Know what your move is and execute it perfectly." I think that's what

the police did.

Nobody's hurt, so why is everyone complaining?

Great post Pancho.

DCW... How can you say this is in the same ball field???

A suspect gets shot (And you are NEVER in these

types of situations, so you cant judge him)... the police officer could have had reason to believe his life was in

danger... YOU DONT KNOW... so therefore you cannot judge this... he wears a uniform that draws in danger, and if it

wasnt him to pull the trigger, who knows... he could be the one dead... we give police a certain amount of power for

a reason... so protect and serve the people who dont want to.

This situation was defused, no one was hurt beyond

what was already done, were are these even close together???

Adams

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho1188
    I still

don't get why everyone's making such a fuss. The 6-year old cut himself three times. The cop stopped himself from

hurting himself anymore, and the kid is not permanently harmed. In the other case, had a drunken 12-year old run out

into traffic and gotten killed while being chased by the police, you can be sure that officer would've been in

three times the trouble he's in now. After 15 years on the force, he saved himself a world of trouble.

When

you're in the heat of the moment with a worked-up kid, you have the option of taking him down with your hands or

using the taser. Kids are small and agile, and with his level of arousal he could've wiggled his way enough to hurt

himself further. He could've cut one of the people there. The taser was a sure thing.

I knew a guy who

specialized in pressure points and took down this psych patient who was huge and because of his illness could summon

almost inhuman strength. In fact, the two or three guys supposed to be handling him told the guy to let the patient

go because they could handle it, and when he did the patient flipped out again and the guy had to repeat his

technique.

As nice as it would be to teach every police officer those or similar techniques, the taser was just

as effective in those situations.

There is a major difference between killing someone and temporarily

incapacitating them, by the way...in these situations, I believe the police made the correct moves to protect

everyone involved. You can't expect the police, with the low budget it probably has in the first place, to be

trained in every form of disabling people known to man. As my friend once said, "I don't like how martial arts

shows you 1,500 ways to do things. When you're actually in a fight-or-flight situation, you forget it all. You're

not going to do a back flip into a flying spin kick. In those situations, you should master one move and be able to

use it effectively. After all, fights aren't like in the movies. Fights last 2 seconds. You have time for one move

to take the other guy down. Know what your move is and execute it perfectly." I think that's what the police did.

Nobody's hurt, so why is everyone complaining?
    Well said Pancho.
    A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do."

Yea, I would have just shot the

little f*ckers!

Cool

Great post

Pancho.

DCW... How can you say this is in the same ball field???

A suspect gets shot (And you are

NEVER in these types of situations, so you cant judge him)... the police officer could have had reason to believe

his life was in danger... YOU DONT KNOW... so therefore you cannot judge this... he wears a uniform that draws in

danger, and if it wasnt him to pull the trigger, who knows... he could be the one dead... we give police a certain

amount of power for a reason... so protect and serve the people who dont want to.

This situation was

defused, no one was hurt beyond what was already done, were are these even close together???

Adams

Did you read my post? I know the word "suspesct" carry a certain ahh....shall we say

image to some of you in here.

To be a "suspect" doesn't necessarly mean your guilty of any crime (imagine

that).

The so called "suspect" was a 17 year old kid that was "running away" I say it again "running awaaaay"

from the brave policeman
    when he was shot in the back, and the reason he was running away? Well it turned out

that this "suspect" was working illegally
    cleaning offices and was walking home and just happen to be at the

wrong place at the wrong time.

I'm sure he probably he deserved it taking away minimum wage cleaning jobs

away from red blooded American, justice was served.

DCW

It's hard for me to believe

people are defending using a stun gun on a six year old. Amazing.

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast

Thread Information