Close

Default Somebody made a good point about this

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I was talking to someone and he broung up a good point about pheromones. We start talking about girls as usual

nothing wrong with that. But then he said. A bro have you heard about these things they selling called pheromones.

Of course I had to play kind of dumb and said pheromones yea I heard of them before that bee's use to attract other

ones.

He was like now they are selling pheromones to attract humans to other humans. I was like oh really

have you tried any. He said no and I probley never will. He said come on bro pheromones to attract humans to other

humans you got to be kidding me.

Then he said they are selling pheromones for like 50$ what kind of bull is

that. If they really worked why the hell would they sell it so cheap, pheromones would cost millons to get your

hands on a bottle if they really worked.

He said some more but I just wanted to get the main point across of

what he was trying to say. So you know after hearing that I thought that he did make a good point with that. And was

wanting to know some of you guys opinons on that.
    You better watch out behind you becuase you never know you might see me coming at you hard. (If you catch my driff). That was dedicated to only if the ladies read my signature. Fella's please disregard this.

Man of La Pancha

Are you asking why they

only (ha, ha...I use the term ironically as I'm cheap and usually think, "Wow, that's a lot for a small

bottle of liquid.") sell them for ~$50 a bottle if they work so well? I'll give you many reasons:

1. Just as

your friend mentioned, not everyone is convinced they work. If they did work for everyone all the time in any

situation, of course the demand would go up and so would the price.
    2. Competition. Bruce isn't the only guy

selling them, so if he sold them at $200 and someone else could make and sell them cheaper, they could cut in on

Bruce's business.
    3. You naturally produce pheromones. Technically, you can get them for free. The price is not

showering, and we know how well that comes off in today's society. Therefore, some people prefer to shower and

then replace their -mones with synthetics instead of walking around with the 'funk'.
    4. There's more to

attracting people than -mones. You have to have something to back it up, so it's not a magical love potion.

It's different for everyone. Since not one thing works in every situation, you have to buy many different products

to see what was right for you. If every bottle was $200 and you had to make a choice as to which one would

definitely work for you, you'd have a lot of risk in making that purchase.
    6. Size. You're paying $50 for

a 10 ml bottle (estimates). Sure, -mones would cost $200 if they put them in a 50 ml bottle, wouldn't they?

However, they're a lot easier to sell in smaller sizes so the consumer can mix and match, experiment, test,

etc.

Those are just six good reasons. I'm sure there are more, but I hope that answers your question.

PR

It's really simple, Bruce and

everybody else charges whatever the market will bear. If they were charging millions for pheromones nobody would buy

them. They charge a price people will pay and they can make a profit on them.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Man of La Pancha

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    It's really

simple, Bruce and everybody else charges whatever the market will bear. If they were charging millions for

pheromones nobody would buy them. They charge a price people will pay and they can make a profit on

them.
    What he was saying, though, is that if they really did magically attract women all of the time,

you could charge whatever you wanted to because people would pay anything to have them (high demand). In that sense,

it is true. However, since they don't work like that, you have to be more reasonable with the price. That's why I

listed all of the factors because even in my scenario (love potion), competitors would eventually cut in and lower

the price.

The best example of pricing strategies: Laser eye surgery.

Laser eye surgery takes about 10

seconds and probably costs doctors a few dollars to do (not sure how much the machine costs, but if you do it on ten

thousand people, I'm sure the economies of scale minimalizes the cost per patient...and even if the doctor charged

$100/minute for his time, you'd still only be down $200 for the two-minute procedure). However, they still charge

$2,000 for it. Why? No one will pay less because they think they're getting bad surgery. No one is willing to pay

less for it because it's too big of a gamble on your sight. The eye doctors came up with one solution: charge that

amount but give everyone coupons so it's like you're getting something worth $2,000 for less. Look for

Christmas 50% off specials during the holidays.

Moral of the story: Companies that charge less give the

impression that the results aren't as good. What LP's friend was saying is that because -mones are cheap (I still

feel my wallet getting lighter, though...don't know what he's talking about ), they must not be as effective as

they claim.

*sigh* That's consumer psychology for you. I'm more of a, "It's cheap? It does the same thing as

expensive stuff? I'll take it!" kind of guy myself.

BDC Concepts Chemo (BDC Concepts)'s Avatar

That's

it...Perception is going up to $250

Man of La Pancha

See? Now you know it

works because it's expensive!

Phero Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Chemo (BDC

Concepts)
    That's it...Perception is going up to $250

dang it! haha

King of the coupons!

Quote Originally Posted by Chemo (BDC

Concepts)
    That's it...Perception is going up to $250
    Dangit you little player! See what you've

done?

Back in the caveman days, there was a caveman named Ugh. Ugh hung out with Ugh-moodo ...

Ugh-moodo had a hard time believing that schitt stunk. He said, "Ugh, if shcitt stinks, why don't we smell it all

the time?" Ugh thought about it for a minute, let out a gahross and loud fart that was smellier than Godzilla poot.

Ugh-moodo got wind of it, and halled as$. He came back a day later, and Ugh smiled, and asked, "Ya still smell it?"

"No" Ugh-moodo answered. Ugh smiled and said, "there you go!" The moral of this story ya little player, is ... if

YOU believe in something, don't let anyone else change your thinking, YOU change your thinking.
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

Man of La Pancha

I think you just wanted to

tell that story, Mobes...Nice one, by the way...

Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho1188
    What he was

saying, though, is that if they really did magically attract women all of the time, you could charge whatever

you wanted to because people would pay anything to have them (high demand). In that sense, it is true. However,

since they don't work like that, you have to be more reasonable with the price. That's why I listed all of the

factors because even in my scenario (love potion), competitors would eventually cut in and lower the price.

The best example of pricing strategies: Laser eye surgery.

Laser eye surgery takes about 10 seconds and

probably costs doctors a few dollars to do (not sure how much the machine costs, but if you do it on ten thousand

people, I'm sure the economies of scale minimalizes the cost per patient...and even if the doctor charged

$100/minute for his time, you'd still only be down $200 for the two-minute procedure). However, they still charge

$2,000 for it. Why? No one will pay less because they think they're getting bad surgery. No one is willing to pay

less for it because it's too big of a gamble on your sight. The eye doctors came up with one solution: charge that

amount but give everyone coupons so it's like you're getting something worth $2,000 for less. Look for

Christmas 50% off specials during the holidays.

Moral of the story: Companies that charge less give the

impression that the results aren't as good. What LP's friend was saying is that because -mones are cheap (I still

feel my wallet getting lighter, though...don't know what he's talking about ), they must not be as effective as

they claim.

*sigh* That's consumer psychology for you. I'm more of a, "It's cheap? It does the same thing as

expensive stuff? I'll take it!" kind of guy myself.
    I would cut that quote down, but I want to

reference most of it. I'll take the last bit first - I'm the same way, Pancho. I'm one of those guys that really

doesn't care about brand-name, as long as it works. However, in a situation where I know nothing about a

product, I'll probably go with the brand-name just to be safe.

The consumer psychology thing is, I think, an

unfortunate side-effect of popular culture. A few guys over in England wanted to do a study on exactly that, so they

went and bought one of the most popular and expensive fragrances out at the time (something by Calvin Klein, I

think), rebottled it, and tried to sell it on the street very cheap (like, five pounds - which comes out to about

eight or nine dollars) to some really posh ladies that had just come out of a store, gossiping about how wonderful

this CK stuff was. They smelt the rebottled perfume and proclaimed it awful stuff.

I didn't know about that

laser surgery thing... if I see the discounts I might even be able to convince my father to let me get it.

And

actually, if 'mones really were a magical love potion and cheap to produce, prices would eventually come way, way

down simply because of competition. For example, this love potion is priced at $1,000 a bottle, but only costs $1 to

produce. Both merchant A and Bruce have the ability to produce said potion. If Bruce all of a sudden starts charging

only $800 a bottle, merchant A is forced to lower his prices, possibly to undercut Bruce, who in turn undercuts

merchant A, etc, etc... 'til they're both selling at the minimum profit they're willing to make.

Business is

a fun thing.

Thread Information