Close

Default My First Impression of Pheros

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Hi

guys,

I received my Pheros in the mail this morning and first of all:

Dr SmellThis, if I had a hat, I

would take it off for you.

I cannot for the moment distinguish between the notes, since I just put it on (I

have to wait until later for the drydown), but something in Pheros reminds me of some of the Amouage line, Dia maybe

or Gold without the "stinkiness".

Looking at the Amouage ingredients I would guess that you have ambergis in

Pheros? I think I can smell a faint floral note also. (My nose is still in training...*LoL*).

Since the

bottle is an open top I will later on (as soon as I get my monthly wage...) get some pipettes (I am going to get

them anyway with some other lab parts this month) and transfer a small amount to a smaller vial. I assume that

openong the Pheros bottle "too often" will lead to oxidsation? I am also a little concerned with contamination of

the stuff by my fingertip (so I washed my hands before touching the juice).

DrSmellThis, can you confirm this

or am I too "scared" of ruining the stuff?

DST, could you perhaps give some info about the "flakes" that

dissappears in the bottle when shaked? Is this from a resinoid you used?

// Wiseman, the real

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Default Re: Pheros questions

* Thanks

for your review, wiseman! I'm glad you are enjoying it. Reactions like that definitely provide lots of satisfaction

and make the hard work seem very worth it.

* There is indeed a faint floral note as well as a more prominent

ambergris note. There are definitely some commonalities with Amouage. Amouage has a high proportion of

natural ingredients. Pheros is just as complex and has some of the same types of precious ingredients, but is

a little less ornamental or more basic. Pheros is more "primitive" smelling or animalic. Pheros is

also designed to be an attractant and body enhancement product, whereas Amouage is all about it's flawless

smell.

* One mark of a "classical" style of perfume is an inability to distinguish individual ingredients at

first smell, and Pheros is sort of that way. The idea with a classical perfume is to have an identity

above and beyond the individual ingredients, which become subsumed and transformed into their roles.

* I would

just open the bottle when you need to. You don't want to leave it open. Washing hands before use is a good idea, as

is transferring a small amount to another container for daily use.

* The "flakes" or darker stuff floating

around before you shake it is a combination of sweet resins (e.g., vanilla) and organic plant matter (e.g., fresh

valerian root).

* Interestingly, if you carry around a small amount in your pocket in a separate

container
    "the juice" become "homogenized" (thanks for the term, Oscar) eventually, mixing more thoroughly and

clearing in color. The smell might even be helped a bit by doing this (by having the sweet resins be more blended,

creating a sweeter smell), though I'm not sure I'd want to do that with your whole supply, as I don't know what

the body heat does to "shelf life." I do recommend it for small quantities, though. I have a large bottle I'm

carrying around in my pocket to test it, and I'll let you all know if I can conclude anything.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 10-12-2004 at 04:33 PM.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Phero Dude

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis

Interestingly, if you carry around a small amount in your pocket in a separate container "the juice"

become "homogenized" (thanks for the term, Oscar) eventually, mixing more thoroughly and clearing in

color.
    My small "pocket vial" didn't become more homogenized. In fact, it separated. I had a transparent

yellowish liquid predominate with droplets of darker, amber/brown clinging to the sides of the dram vial the working

supply has been kept in. Mine was from the first "signature" batch. Fresh from the supply bottle, it has a creamy

color not unlike tea with creamer added.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetetive electronic music." --Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc., 1989

It's maybe a mixture of

processes. My experience is that a small amount of residue remains (stuff normally filtered out by perfume

companies), but that mostly the mixture clears and is more thoroughly blended. I could be confused, of course. It's

still a little mysterious to me. Does anyone else have experience with this phenomenon?

It's maybe a

mixture of processes. My experience is that a small amount of residue remains (stuff normally filtered out by

perfume companies), but that mostly the mixture clears and is more thoroughly blended. I could be confused, of

course. It's still a little mysterious to me. Does anyone else have experience with this phenomenon?
    I made

some 1 Pheros : 1 Bassmix in a dram vial. The mix was mostly clear, with some oily residue around the sides of the

bottle. It stayed pretty much that way for months.

-Bass
    somewhere between amused and obsessed...

King of the coupons!

Doc, did the one dab of Pheros

split behind each ear, covered by a spray of Chikara (2 total) over each application. When me honey got in the car

she said, "It's smelling good up in here!," but before the end of the night she asked me had I started back smoking

because she smelled tobacco. Any thoughts/ideas/explanations?

Thankya!
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

Were you in a smoky bar? There

is tobacco EO in Pheros, but it doesn't smell like smoke (it's choclatey smooth). It could have been

conversion/buildup issues? Backs of ears have lots of bacteria. Perhaps -nol conversion? I often do a thin layer of

sandalwood before applying anything to try to control it. You might also have put too much on for your body type.

1/2 dab is the max per point for me. You can use the same amount but spread it out on more points by using multiple

fingers as I've discussed in the past.

King of the coupons!

Were you in a

smoky bar? There is tobacco EO in Pheros, but it doesn't smell like smoke (it's choclatey smooth). It could

have been conversion/buildup issues? Backs of ears have lots of bacteria. Perhaps -nol conversion? I often do a thin

layer of sandalwood before applying anything to try to control it. You might also have put too much on for your body

type. 1/2 dab is the max per point for me. You can use the same amount but spread it out on more points by using

multiple fingers as I've discussed in the past.
    Nope, no smokey bar. She didn't say she smelled

smoke, but tobacco. The tobacco EO explains it. A bloodhound's nose, I'd say!

One dab is too much to split

behind both ears? Geez weez!
    Thanks, Doc!
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

Default Tobacco

There is a good bit of

blond tobacco in there -- another precious, very expensive oil. Tobacco EO definitely has some luscious manly alpha

qualities to it, though it also figures in many great florals. I had forgotten I put it in there, so thanks for

reminding me! Anyone who gets a chance to smell it should -- it's quite decadent smelling.

I'm just

saying I prefer to use a little bit spread many places. Everybody's chemistry is different, though.

Out of curiousity, how long

does the Pheros scent last for people who use a typical dose of around 2-4 dabs?

It lasts for hours and hours,

depending on circumstances.

Stranger

Were you in a

smoky bar? There is tobacco EO in Pheros, but it doesn't smell like smoke (it's choclatey smooth). It could

have been conversion/buildup issues? Backs of ears have lots of bacteria. Perhaps -nol conversion? I often do a thin

layer of sandalwood before applying anything to try to control it. You might also have put too much on for your body

type. 1/2 dab is the max per point for me. You can use the same amount but spread it out on more points by using

multiple fingers as I've discussed in the past.
    That's it! Yes, that's probably what I have been

detecting. I've observed this when I apply Pheros to the armpits. It is more prominent probably because of the

added heat and perhaps chemistry of my sweat. I called it ash-like and woody in a previous post, but now that you

have identified it as Tobacco EO, I think that's what it is. What I detected also was that it had a slight and

pleasant "bitter" undertone as well that I don't detect when it's applied on the chest. Hmmm... not unlike

smelling a nice oily Cuban cigar, but not so obvious. Nice one DST!

nitro

It's sort of like a very

sweet and rich raw, fresh pipe tobacco. It doesn't dominate the smell but just adds a dimension.

Thread Information