Close

Exclamation Florida, here it comes again...

visit-red-300x50PNG
    350,000 Asked to Evacuate As Jeanne Nears

By JILL BARTON, Associated Press Writer

WEST PALM BEACH,

Fla. - Hurricane Jeanne trekked westward Friday on a path that could lead to Florida's east coast by Sunday,

setting off another round of storm preparations in a state still reeling from three earlier strikes.

Jeanne was already blamed for more than 1,100 deaths in Haiti, where

it hit over the weekend as a tropical storm and caused major flooding. More than 350,000 people were asked to

evacuate in three Florida counties hit hard by Frances on Sept. 5, and crews along the state's coast worked to

remove debris still remaining after that storm, though some said it was a losing battle.

"With another hurricane, there's just too much there — we just

don't have the manpower to get it all done," Martin County spokesman Greg Sowell said.

He estimated that nearly 80 percent of debris remained from Frances,

and some streets had "debris piled up 5 to 6 feet high."

Jeanne

could drop up to 10 inches of rain along its route, the weather service said, and fears of more flooding, flying

debris and power outages sent shoppers scurrying to grocery and hardware stores for supplies that had run low before

the last storms. State and federal officials geared up for another disaster response.

"I know people are frustrated, they're tired of all this," Gov. Jeb

Bush said Friday. "Trust me, their governor is as well."

A hurricane

watch was issued early Friday for most of the state's eastern coast, from Florida City to St. Augustine. A watch

means hurricane conditions with wind of at least 74 mph are possible within 36 hours.

Jeanne could hit just over a week after Hurricane Ivan thrashed the

Panhandle Sept. 16. Ivan and its predecessors, Charley and Frances, caused billions of dollars of damage and were

blamed for at least 70 deaths in the state.

The only other time four

hurricanes have been known to hit the same state in one season was in Texas in 1886, National Hurricane Center (news

- web sites) Director Max Mayfield said.

An exasperated Margaret

McFarlane of Greenacres, who was without power for 12 days after Hurricane Frances, found herself back at the store

to stock up on water and food.

"We've already refilled our

refrigerators, gotten the debris out of the streets and it's going to happen all over again. I'm not sure how much

more people can take," she said.

At 2 p.m., Jeanne was centered

about 455 miles east of Miami, moving west at 12 mph, the hurricane center in Miami said. The storm had 100 mph wind

and could strengthen as it reaches warmer water closer to Florida's coast. Hurricane-force wind extended 45 miles

from the center, and tropical storm wind extended 150 miles.

An

eventual turn to the northwest was predicted, but it was unclear if that would happen before Jeanne reached Florida.

Computer models showed possible landfall anywhere from South Florida to Cape Canaveral and then a path up the shore,

meaning "it's going to make an impact throughout the state," said Ed Rappaport, deputy director of the hurricane

center.

The Kennedy Space Center (news - web sites) was closed

Friday to all nonessential personnel, and the Miami Dolphins and Pittsburgh Steelers were considering changing the

start time of Sunday's 1 p.m. game.

Palm Beach, Martin and St.

Lucie counties — also hit hard by Frances on Sept. 5 — issued voluntary evacuations for more than 350,000 people

living in barrier islands, low-lying areas and mobile homes Friday. Mandatory evacuations were expected Saturday

morning.

Retiree Larry Ruby spent Friday morning patching holes in

the roof of his mobile home on Hutchinson Island, as a bulldozer cleared Frances' debris.

"I was one of the luckier ones, but this time, who knows?" Ruby

said. "I ain't going anywhere unless they make me. I don't think you can get away from it."

Bush noted Jeanne could threaten during Yom Kippur, the holiest day

on the Jewish calendar, which begins at sundown Friday and ends at sundown Saturday. During that period, observant

Jews usually do not work or carry cash and many do not travel by car, which could hamper their storm preparations.

"We ask those who are keeping their faith and their strict Orthodox

practices to prepare early," Bush said.

After looping into the

Atlantic and back into the Gulf of Mexico following its initial strike on the Alabama-Florida coast as a hurricane

last week, Tropical Storm Ivan washed ashore near the Texas-Louisiana line Thursday night, bringing heavy rain to

both sides of the border.

While the storm was expected to dissipate

as it drifts into Texas this weekend, its rains are expected to persist and cause problems, and flood-prone Houston

is in its projected path.

___

On the Net:

National Hurricane Center:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Now we're getting hurricanes

that seem to die but come back, as well as a constant supply of them? I want the Earth's old climate back.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

That wasn't all that

surprising. Once the fragment of Ivan got back out over water it regained energy, it's a fairly common event. Even

the large number of hurricanes this year isn't really significant or without precedent and, from nature's point of

view, is more good than bad. The turbulance and large amounts of water inundating everything serve to flush out a

lot of the garbage. It's one of nature's renewals, much as wildfire is. That doesn't make either pleasant for us

humans but I don't think ol' Mother Nature really cares much about that. I posted mostly in sympathy for those

poor people in Florida, they've had enough.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

I actually heard on the news

that both things were uncommon. But I'm no expert on the weather.

I'm no expert on the weather

either but have taken several classes in meteorology over the years and spend a lot of time playing with it as a

hobby. A hurricane starts as a tropical depression resulting fom the dry Saharan winds blowing over the ocean off

the coast of Africa and picking up moisture there before moving across the Atlantic. Along the way it gains energy

from the warm, moist air rising off the ocean; the spin is partially generated by the Earth's spin. When a storm

moves over land or over the cooler northern waters it loses that energy resulting in heavy rainfall as the

temperature of the storm drops. When a still coherent mass breaks off, as that segment of Ivan did, or when a major

part of any hurricane moves back over warm water again it often regains energy. That part is not unusual at all.

The large number of storms striking one area this year is only significant in that they hit one area, that hasn't

happened in over 100 years. The last such event was the Texas coast in the late 1800's. I don't have the exact

date but it was mentioned in the news recently. It's still just a statistical blip which doesn't mean much by

itself, especially since such statistical record keeping is only about 160 years old. With only a few storms each

year that is a very small statistical universe.

Something to remember is that weather and weather patterns are

dynamic, affected by everything from pollution to solar fluctuations to ocean currents, along with a million other

variables that are ever changing. You'll never get the old climate back, no matter what happens.

PS: I found

it. In 1886 four hurricanes hit the Texas coast and another three hit Florida. Four years later the worst hurricane

to hit Texas killed hundreds of people in and around Galveston.
    Last edited by belgareth; 09-25-2004 at 06:32 AM.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    I'm no expert on

the weather either but have taken several classes in meteorology over the years and spend a lot of time playing with

it as a hobby. A hurricane starts as a tropical depression resulting fom the dry Saharan winds blowing over the

ocean off the coast of Africa and picking up moisture there before moving across the Atlantic. Along the way it

gains energy from the warm, moist air rising off the ocean; the spin is partially generated by the Earth's spin.

When a storm moves over land or over the cooler northern waters it loses that energy resulting in heavy rainfall as

the temperature of the storm drops. When a still coherent mass breaks off, as that segment of Ivan did, or when a

major part of any hurricane moves back over warm water again it often regains energy. That part is not unusual at

all.

The large number of storms striking one area this year is only significant in that they hit one area, that

hasn't happened in over 100 years. The last such event was the Texas coast in the late 1800's. I don't have the

exact date but it was mentioned in the news recently. It's still just a statistical blip which doesn't mean much

by itself, especially since such statistical record keeping is only about 160 years old. With only a few storms each

year that is a very small statistical universe.

Something to remember is that weather and weather patterns are

dynamic, affected by everything from pollution to solar fluctuations to ocean currents, along with a million other

variables that are ever changing. You'll never get the old climate back, no matter what happens.
    Well, it

looks like I could be in trouble with this one. Frances left me with roof damage which I haven't been able to find

anyone to repair. I have tarps on my roof, and Jeanne is headed this way this weekend. Tarps are unlikely to

withstand a major hit.

So ol' Bass is soliciting the prayers / thoughts / and well-wishes of my friends on

Love-Scent - not just for me, but for everyone who has been hit by these storms.

One way or another, I will be

back with you after the storm. There have been major changes in my life this year. I guess the Universe thinks that

I'm not moving fast enough, and is sending more change my way.

-Bass
    somewhere between amused and obsessed...

I sincerely hope that it misses

Florida. Dry science doesn't touch on the human tragedy you people are enduring. My thoughts are with every one of

you.

Thomas Jefferson

Good Luck Bassman.. I will

keep you in my prayers...

King of the coupons!

Trying to shed some light on the

humor side, Bass...take the plastic out of your NPA bottle, put the whole bottle on, stand in your front yard, and

Jeanne will hall as$!! Definitely an OD!

On the serious side of things...wishing you and all, down in those

parts, the best of luck, and hopefully Jeanne will come to her knees before she causes anymore harm.

God's

shield, Bass.
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

Bassman, it just ain't fair what is

happening to you guys. We'll hope for the best.

King of the coupons!

Quote Originally Posted by bjf
    Bassman, it just

ain't fair what is happening to you guys. We'll hope for the best.
    Don't know BJF, I think Florida is

loaded with hurricane mones! It's their entry point into the U.S. seems like.

Bass and the rest of you

southern tropical beach lovers, Carolina has lots of room. Granted, it's not hot alllllll the time, but it's

warmer than the North Pole, and if you can deal with the deer, snakes, and bears...tis a nice place to breed,

annnnnnd eeeeeeeverything's fresh and clean.

Just a Mobley's thought.
    Never argue with ignorant people! They pull you down to THEIR level, and then they BEAT YOU with experience. Who said that!? I don't know, but tis gold I tell'ya!!

As always, please put safety

first! We need you Floridians here.

Thanks, everyone. Power is still

on, the roof is still holding. We are just now getting into the worse of it. Probably another six hours or so.

Hanging in there...

Bass

I'm used to it at this point. No

sense getting stressed out, just something you have to deal with.
    "You made three mistakes. 1. You took the job. 2. A 4 man crew to catch me, f***ing insulting. 3. You didn't pack enough weapons."- Riddick "The Chronicles of Riddick"

Keep us posted

My prayers are with all the

Floridians.. God only knows how much more they cannot take now.. My heart is also with them all.. Hugssssssss

Quote Originally Posted by jose
    I'm used to it

at this point. No sense getting stressed out, just something you have to deal with.
    You have the right

attitude Jose.

But personally I would be so stressed out and worried not only about me & my family but for

everyone else in danger.

My heart goes for all those who got hurt and those who lost their home. Not forgetting

the ones that lost their lives..
    A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do."

Kewl. We are on the back side of

the storm now. The top tarp loosened, but the bottom one held firm. We have a leak, but it's in the closet that has

soffit problems anyway. The power is still on and the roof is still intact. We are very lucky - several friends have

called who have lost power, and loose roofs are all over the place.

Thanks to everyone for their cares and

concern. Looks like I got lucky again.

Now if I can just find a roofer before the next storm comes in...

-Bass

PS - Jose, I appreciate your attitude, too. Some out here have had to deal with more than others, I

guess.

Quote Originally Posted by BassMan
    Kewl. We are

on the back side of the storm now. The top tarp loosened, but the bottom one held firm. We have a leak, but it's in

the closet that has soffit problems anyway. The power is still on and the roof is still intact. We are very lucky -

several friends have called who have lost power, and loose roofs are all over the place.

Thanks to everyone for

their cares and concern. Looks like I got lucky again.

-Bass

PS - Jose, I'm glad that you have been hit so

lightly that you have able to get "used to it" by now. Some of us have to deal with more than others.
    I'm

very glad to hear this Bass.
    hugs

Quote Originally Posted by SweetBrenda
    You have the right

attitude Jose.

But personally I would be so stressed out and worried not only about me & my family but for

everyone else in danger.

My heart goes for all those who got hurt and those who lost their home. Not

forgetting the ones that lost their lives..
    Thank you SweetBrenda and BassMan and I agree it depends

on the individual. 4 storms in six weeks is not a normal thing to get used to.
    "You made three mistakes. 1. You took the job. 2. A 4 man crew to catch me, f***ing insulting. 3. You didn't pack enough weapons."- Riddick "The Chronicles of Riddick"

Quote Originally Posted by jose
    Thank you SweetBrenda

and BassMan and I agree it depends on the individual. 4 storms in six weeks is not a normal thing to get used

to.
    Well, storm's over. We made it. Lots of shingles down, and I'll be spending time looking for tarps this

morning, but no major leaks and my friend and I are ok.

Thanks to everyone.

I wore the new Pheros through

the storm, if anyone wonders.

-Bass

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BassMan
    Well, storm's

over. We made it. Lots of shingles down, and I'll be spending time looking for tarps this morning, but no major

leaks and my friend and I are ok.

Thanks to everyone.

I wore the new Pheros through the storm, if anyone

wonders.

-Bass
    Hey Bassssss!
    Glad to know things are

looking better for you! now in regards to the new pheros why in the world were you wearing PHEROS at that

time? hahaha what were you hoping for Bass??

Quote Originally Posted by SweetBrenda
    Hey Bassssss!
    Glad to know things are looking

better for you! now in regards to the new pheros why in the world were you wearing PHEROS at that time?

hahaha what were you hoping for Bass??
    So what _else_ can you do when you're trapped inside for two

days...

I didn't weather the storm alone.

-Bass

A hurricane ain't the only

huge thing with one eye.

Journeyman

my brother just moved from

Orlando to NYC beginning of August. good timing

Thread Information