There has been recent discussion about various application methods and their respective volumes, so I

thought I would start a thread to have it all in one place.

Sprays
[font=Verdana][/font

]

We know (thanks to scientist) that

A4.2 gives .13 ml per spray. It would be better if we could have the figures for all of the spray products (Chikara,

Perception, TE, etc.), because the volume varies widely.

Spraying is more convenient for fragranced products which have a concentration

(mg/ml) suited to applying large volumes (i.e not NPA), and is normally associated with alcohol products. If you are

not confident about the suitability of the concentration or the fragrance, don't

spray.

Drops

A drop can either be from a pipette or

the dropper insert in a product. Normally estimated to be around .05 ml, drops actually vary greatly in volume

between products (or more specifically carrier agents) and droppers/pipettes. Again, it would be useful to know the

drop volumes for each product that the method applies to (this is quite easy to do, and you don't waste any

product).

Roll-on

inches

Brought into popularity by SOE, this one is harder

to measure. However, a previous forum member (Shoe) measured it quite accurately to be about 28 inches per ml, or

.36 ml. Most mixes heavy on di-propelene glycol (SOE, AE, PPA, etc.) can be approximated to be at that volume, but

alcohol or water based mixes will vary.

Dabs
[color=black][

/color]

This one is fraught with controversy

There are several problems with quantifying a

dab, including; variations in method, carrier agent (alcohol, water, etc.), and also bottle size. The "accepted"

method is to cover the opening with a finger or thumb, invert the bottle to wet the chosen digit, and then applying

the liquid on the digit (after returning the bottle to a more sensible orientation, obviously ). Bottle size can

be measured by the size of the opening, so that one isn't really a problem, but volume of fluid yielded from each

dab will inevitably vary between carrier agent. However, from my rough measurements, the variation caused by these

factors is quite small, and I would estimate the average dab volume to be about 0.02 ml, give or take a few

thousandths of a ml.

To many this is the

application method of choice, as is allows application of a small amount of product with

precision.

To date, there quite a few products for which the default application method*

has been measured.

In

summary:

SOE

- inch, 0.036 ml

A4.2 - spray, 0.13

ml

If anyone

has the volumes for any other products default method at hand, could they please post them here. Also, if you

disagree with anything said above, feel free to correct me!

*with TE I think knowing both the spray and dab volume is relevant to most

people.