Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Federal taxes in part filter

down to the state level in a complicated dance. State taxes are used for funding what federal can't or doesn't.

So, the taxes should all be viewed as part of the whole. One of the most common dodges used is the idea that this

little 1/4 percent will not hurt anybody financially. And that's true, as far as it goes. What it does not address

is the other hundred or so painless little taxes we pay at the same time. It all adds up to a lot oif our income. We

have to view the burden as a whole to really see how much our government is hurting us with the ever increasing tax

burden.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Man of La Pancha

You are completely right on

everything you said. However, I was only trying to say that it's dumb to complain that tax breaks benefit the rich

because the way our tax system is set up naturally leads to rich people benefitting from any tax break

because they are the ones that pay most of the taxes. It's an inappropriate argument to make to get a politician

out of office...that's all I was trying to say.

When I hear, "Bush supports tax breaks for the rich," the

red-flag goes up. Anyone who took a tax accounting class knows that this is statement is redundant (meaning that

tax breaks favor the people who pay the most taxes...aka the rich via the 80/20 rule). My tax law professor spent

20 minutes showing in graphic detail how tax breaks will always benefit the rich more than the poor because they pay

more money in taxes.

I am in complete agreement with

you and your professor. Anybody who wants to look at some simple math can figure it out for themselves. Do you think

the politicians want you to figure it out? It isn't about facts and issues, it's about emotion as was pointed out

early in this thread. Both sides are guilty of spewing hyperbole and the public is guilty of allowing and accpting

it.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Phero Guru

Default none

"They pay for Social

Security that they may never even file for when they're older because they have plenty of money."

Pancho,

laughing here - believe me, they are the first to file for their SS and don't think for a moment that every wealthy

person isn't collecting their due - I would wager that less than 1% of the wealthy don't file for it out of some

social conscience they may have.

Sorry to get off the topic but I couldn't let that go by.

My own

pragmatism tells me I should vote for Kerry. My principles tell me to vote for Nader.

I have to reason

this out with myself.

hypothetical situation:

I am walking down the street and because I'm looking

at some pretty woman I accidentally bump into another man so I apologize. He sees things differently and punches

me. I am stunned for a moment but then as I regain my composure and prepare to strike back I see a policeman come

around the corner. I realize the policeman will only see me hitting him. If I take to heart my principles I may go

to jail. My pragmatism wins out.

or

I'm an American

soldier. On principle I find it morally wrong to kill but I must kill or be killed. Pragmatism wins again.

Bush or Kerry will win this election.

"Revolution is pointless. It's only within the system that

things could get fixed here. Either Kerry or Bush has to get elected, and will get elected. It is either "fight the

good fight" through one, or the other."

I couldn't agree more with DST's thought above. I feel that if you

don't like Bush then you must vote for Kerry (believe me, I've really wrestled with this one). Then, if you voted

for Kerry as the "ABB" candidate and Kerry wins, you must then start working at your local level to attempt to make

Kerry and the Dems pay attention to you. One could start now by telling your local Dem party organization that they

are getting your vote this time only because of the "ABB" factor and that they better start to move back more to the

left or whatever direction you want them to move to.

It does look like Bush will win but I've seen other

arrogant administrations win only to lose later (usually not at the polls but thru war, revolution, or legal

action). I'm hoping the latter becomes the case.

"According to recent polls, roughly

half the population disagrees with you about Bush."

Too bad the WORLD can't vote. Last night on the CBS

Nightly News, there was a report on polls conducted world wide. In Europe only Poland supported Bush, everywhere

else he lost bigtime! In Asia, only the Phillipines supported Bush.

On another front. The news reported that

Arnold S. has already released more convicted murderers in his first couple of months in office than Grey Davis or

Pete Wilson did their entire times in office!
    Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.
    --Lazarus Long

KK,

Great idea in theory.

In practice, changing our government the way you describe has failed many times. They are too sure of their power

base. Now, if you could get a big chunk of the voting population to stop voting along party lines, you cold get

their attention. But until you can do that, you are wasting your time trying to change the existing structure.

Thomas Jefferson

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Bel, I'll vote to stop the

bleeding first and you vote to let us bleed, thinking you're going to fix the true cause of the bleeding. I'm

convinced the first approach is not only compassionate, it's good medicine. The second, if practiced by many, risks

losing the patient at worst. At best, it add more injuries on top of the one you want to fix. It delays and adds

obstacles to true healing.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

I don't see many rich people

choosing to become poor because of the threat of taxes. As a percentage of disposable income, what's left over

after survival and basic physical needs, the poor pay far more taxes than the rich currently. If you have a

dollar left at the end of the week, giving that dollar away is an astronomically bigger gift than giving ten if you

have ten thousand left. A progressive tax structure is one of the few things that makes our country compassionate

toward the less-advantaged. Most people willingly accept the burden. We could simplify it and get rid of the IRS

without going to a flat tax. In this age of calculators and computers, the idea that the simple progressive math

formula per se is what makes it complicated seems silly.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 09-20-2004 at 02:56 PM.

Man of La Pancha

Well, I'll say one thing of

the effect of Bush's tax breaks on the economy:

The tax system creates thousands of accounting jobs...

As for people staying poor...

In Germany (a few years ago...I don't know about now), some people choose

to live on welfare because working and being taxed actually has them earn less than if they did nothing at all!!!

But what were Germanys taxes,

and what was the welfare system like? You're probably talking about an entirely different effect, about the

incentive to be on public assistance.

There are certainly unfair, overly complicated and stupid

progressive tax systems (such as ours), but that was not the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho1188
    Well, I'll

say one thing of the effect of Bush's tax breaks on the economy:

The tax system creates thousands of accounting

jobs...

As for people staying poor...

In Germany (a few years ago...I don't know about now),

some people choose to live on welfare because working and being taxed actually has them earn less than if they did

nothing at all!!!
    It creates a lot of jobs for attorneys too.

People staying on the welfare rolls because

they do better than working at some jobs happens here too. Adjusting the minimum wage has been tried as one method

of helping that situation, with mixed results. I can't prove it but my guess is that it's a break even situation.

Higher pay for some but greater demands made so they have to pay fewer workers.

Doc,

Stopping the bleeding

is a great idea but you still haven't convinced me that Kerry can or is even willing to do that. It's also

possible that stopping the bleeding is irrelevent as the patient still has terminal cancer. Most of the rest of your

comments are subjective as nobody can prove whether you are wrong or right. I do think that the ideas you are

espousing now are a good example of why many people associate the word progressive with higher taxes and more

government.

In any event, I've spent enough time on this subject, you aren't going to convince me with your

arguments and I'm not going to convince you with mine. We see things too differently. All we are doing is going in

circles over an unresolvable difference of opinion. So, I am going to bow out at this time.

Thomas Jefferson

Journeyman

Hey guys,

I haven't

finished catching up on this thread yet but I wanted to lay some quotes on you about "the rich" ... I don't think

we're all talking about the same thing.

Quote:
    "The real rich dodge taxes and small business owners pay

the burden." Does that sound like a radical-liberal denunciation of privilege by candidate John Kerry? Guess

again. It’s a pronouncement by President Bush.

Speaking at the Northern Virginia Community

College in Anandale on August 9, Bush said, "On the subject of taxes, just remember when you're talk about, we're

just going to run up the taxes on a certain number of people, first of all, real rich people figure out how to dodge

taxes, and the small business owners end up paying a lot of the burden of this taxation."

So the way I

see it when you guys talk about rich people you might really be thinking upper middle class or something. Does

anyone here make more than $200,000 a year? Just curious ...

Phero Guru

Default none

I make well under

$200,000.00.

Default Believability through Simplistic Repetition 101

Notice how disciplined Bush is in staying "on message" with his responses to Kerry's

critiques here:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/09/21/k

erry.tues/index.html

No matter what Kerry brings up about the war, Bush's response is always that Kerry

has multiple positions on it (implying one should ignore him and that he represents consistent leadership). This is

due to Rove's training of him since before he was governor. Staying on a simple message you want to grind into the

public's heads is a long time Rove trademark, and was one of the first things he taught Bush, according to the

documentary. It is fascinating to learn about Rove's style and techniques, and then see in the daily news how

closely and obediently Bush (and colleagues) follows them. I suspect there will be a lot of Political Science

doctoral dissertations written on Rove before it's all over.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 09-21-2004 at 05:42 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4

Thread Information