Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Default A pet peeve: Our weakness for black/white thinking

visit-red-300x50PNG
    I'm skeptical about this characterization of Kerry to say the least. I'd like to look at

the "top ten" examples of Kerry's indecisiveness -- if there are ten important ones -- in detail, considering the

context in full; to see how many of them -- if any -- really represent "indecisive flip flopping"; versus

merely refusing to look at things in a simplistic, black and white manner. As you said, wisdom looks at all sides of

an issue, and goes on information it has available to it at the time.

Must we demand all our leaders be fools?!

Too much of this country is allowing it's thinking to be formed by prejudice, fundamentalism, and the classic

stinkin' thinkin' of substance abuse recovery (and sudden conversion to charismatic, evangelical religiosity, like

Bush also experienced), all of which rely on simplistic, black and white thinking to a dangerous degree.

This

has been one of my pet peeves for a while as a psychologist. In fact, one of the most destructive forces in all the

world right now is this meta-idea -- an idea behind ideas -- that the world is nothing but clear examples

true/false, good/bad and right/wrong! It's a thought disorder, and a world-wide epidemic. Though in reality this is

as much of an "evil in need of renouncing" as any "evil", we tend to admire those who think in this way --

when they tell us they know The True and The Right, and are fighting for it.
    How could we? It is an extremely

seductive from of wish fulfillment, enabling our addiction to this artificially soothing form of sick thinking.

It is also classic Carl Rove to take someone's strength, in this case thoughtfulness and

circumspection (characteristics of wisdom), and recast it as a weakness -- "flip-flopping". He uses that

deadly weapon in every campaign. (He's doing the same thing with Kerry's war record.) Most of our country is

swallowing it, hook, line and sinker.

How can Rove get away with this?

It is a blatant manipulation of our

lust for artificial mental and emotional comfort. How many people think about thinking enough to recognize

this malaise in themselves and fight it off? One out of a hundred?? If so, 99 out of 100, whether conservative or

liberal, would be fundamentally defenseless against Rove and company. And if so, even liberal leaning folk would be

buying into the flip-flopping BS and criticising their own man for it. But isn't that precisely what we are

observing? It's sad.

In fact, letting go of black and white thinking is one of the most stress-reducing and

healthy things somebody can do. I've personally experienced this enormous relief to some extent as a recovering,

former religious-Republican. If everyone did it, no war would be psychologically possible. Pragmatic

diplomacy would reign. And true peace on Earth would be within our reach.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 09-18-2004 at 01:46 PM.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

The idea of a leader who friends and

foes alike say never changes his mind bears little resemblance to the actual George W. Bush, who has taken

diametrically opposed stands on the need for a Homeland Security Department (Time, 4/26/04), an independent

September 11 commission (Baltimore Sun, 3/31/04) and a patients' bill of rights (Political Animal, 3/21/04;

Washington Post, 4/5/04). His flip-flop on "nation-building" was so pronounced that Comedy Central's Daily Show (

4/30/03) once staged a debate on the subject with taped statements from Bush taking both sides. But if it doesn't

match reality, the media image of a resolute Bush does conform remarkably well to Karl Rove's 2004 campaign slogan:

"Steady Leadership in a Time of Change."

http://www.fair.org/press-releases/kerry-bush.html
    Give truth a chance.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    I'm curious,

exactly what do you look at that allows you to so closely judge a person's capability or integrity?
    I'm not

up for a huge discussion on it but I probably use the same faculties everyone else uses to make snap

characterizations of people, minus the over-thought bull you find in the news which tries to make something out of

sound bytes usually.

I also look at what the man is saying, not so much for what he will do as what he is

thinking to take action on. I like what is on his agenda so far.

I also like his personality ... very

subjective, but he reminds me of other honest men I've known. In contrast I never liked Clinton, Gore, ... I don't

think I had an opinion of Bush to start off with.

As far as Bush goes though I can simply look at the things

that he has done or not done because he is the Pres.

http://www.kerryoniraqwar.com/

I thought this was pretty good.

I'm curious,

exactly what do you look at that allows you to so closely judge a person's capability or integrity?
    This

first thing you look at is what does it mean to have integrity as an American? What does it mean for America to have

integrity? For example, what would it really mean to support democracy and freedom at home and abroad? Who do I know

that is the same in their deepest depths as they are on the outside with their actions and words? That trains your

ear to be able to listen to what politicians say.

We don't know for sure what Kerry would do, but we know that

what the incumbent has done is extreme and outside the norm. So if Kerry was a random unknown person, one would

still expect a change closer to the average. Average is not great, but it beats dangerous, particularly in a time of

crisis and emergency. Sometimes accepting a crappy choice is the responsible thing to do at a particular time.

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue
    I'm not up for

a huge discussion on it but I probably use the same faculties everyone else uses to make snap characterizations of

people, minus the over-thought bull you find in the news which tries to make something out of sound bytes usually.

As far as Bush goes though I can simply look at the things that he has done or not done because he is the Pres.

http://www.kerryoniraqwar.com/

I thought this was

pretty good.
    There's no argument about Bush, that wasn't my question. I am questioning the value of snap

judgments and usually view them in about the same catagory as sound bytes, neither is to be trusted. What little I

have read of Kerry's congressional record and history in politics has given me a little insight into his character.

Based on that, my previous statement about not voting for either of them still stands. I was honestly hoping for

something substantial.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Journeyman

I explained it, you just

wanted more than I had.

People have unfairly compared Kerry to Clinton and Al Gore just because he

is a Democrat. Then they call him a commie Liberal which is another stupid jab at him. Then I hear he has no

personality ... I've known many competent men who don't have movie star sex appeal.

I simply

gave my personal view on the man. He looks good to me.

I've read a lot of things and my opinion

was probably greatly shaped by this but to tell the truth I'm not very political (except this year) and I don't

remember everything that shaped my views on the man. I just want someone in office who can get the job done, not

hand our asses over to corporate interests, and not bullshit our asses too much with a Texas twang and a smile.

If you looked at Kerry's congressional record and history and spotted nothing interesting, it was

a good sign ... don't ask me why. If the man takes action on the things he's talked about it means a change for

the better in the long run.

I posted more before you finished your post so re-read it first.

Edit: A lot of these things can be argued forever guys, and I know it. When you get down to the

nitty gritty even historical information can be made to sound subjective by the right arguements.

You can always read up on stuff for yourself too. Try:

Convince yourself if you

can and then tell us about it because I want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue
    If you

looked at Kerry's congressional record and history and spotted nothing interesting, it was a good sign ... don't

ask me why. If the man takes action on the things he's talked about it means a change for the better in the long

run.
    I said I looked a little at his congressional record and his history, haven't had time to

do a lot of reading. I would like to and hope to have the time to compare what he's promised to what he has done

and what he has supported in the past. You are making an assumption that I saw nothing interesting, I never said

that. I only said that from my reading I wouldn't vote for him.

Doc,

I strongly disagree with you about the

responsible thing to do. If you know or have good reason to believe that any person would be bad for the country,

the responsible thing to do would be to not vote for them. Anything else is to passively accept the 'Business as

usual' attitude prevelant in our electoral process.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Bel, the position you are

arguing for is fundamentally one of principle, rather than pragmatism. I respect everyone's right to vote their

conscience. And you must know by now that I agree with you about everything to do with the principle you are valuing

here. What we apparently disagree about is the relative value of our principle at this moment versus the pragmatic

demands of the moment in a time of emergency. I don't believe we need to be so rigid as to believe that rejecting

business as usual must mean refusing to ever vote for a candidate that fails to meet our standards. I don't worship

our principle as some kind of sacred absolute. Nor do I so worship any limited, individual principle for that

matter, as every principle which is amputated from the demands of everyday situations ultimately fails as a guide to

living. We have already suffered some virtually catastrophic consequences. Do you have multiple solid, compelling

reasons to believe that electing Kerry would literally be catastrophic for our country over the next four year

period? Because this is precisely the kind of rationale you would need to overcome the demands of the moment to get

Bush out; and bring our principle into balance with pragmatism. Logically, otherwise you would be voting on a rigid,

amputated principle -- unless you thought there was nothing particularly catastrophic about continuing the

Bush/Rove/Oil Company/population control approach.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 09-18-2004 at 07:36 PM.

Journeyman

Well I can't think for you and

I don't have a tremendous interest in in politics. So I'm not going out and doing research on this. I certainly

don't like the direction things are going either.

Did I mention the direction Bush wants to go with Social

Security, Medicare, tax cuts for the rich and for corporations relocating overseas, the Clean Coal technology energy

plan, etc? Plenty more too but I have too much homework to finish to read it all and post.

I also know we only

have two candidates to vote for, so I'm going with Kerry because of his diametrically opposed stance to the things

Bush has proposed. Well at least he seems more reasonable if not the polar opposite of Bush. I don't see why they

would have to be total polar opposites anyhow except for some psychological grab that fails in the end.

If you

can't believe Kerry has the dynamic personality to stand up and actually do what he says, then at least know Bush

will do what he says and it mostly sucks.

You can always read up on stuff for yourself too. Try:

and
    Convince yourself if you can

and then tell us about it because I want to know.
    Last edited by deepblue; 09-18-2004 at 03:40 PM.

Doc,

According to recent

polls, roughly half the population disagrees with you about Bush. This being Texas, the majority of people here

support him, including almost every one of my friends. I know these people! Few of them are stupid or uninformed,

many of them are just as bright and well educated and well meaning as I believe you to be. Yet they, for what they

believe are the best of reasons, feel as strongly about Kerry as you do about Bush. I can't say that any of them

are evil people trying to get for themselves at the expense of others or our environment. They just disagree with

you about what is in the best interests of this country.

You say I should vote for Kerry for pragmatic reasons,

In my opinion, that's dodging. Every election comes down to pragmatic reasons to vote for/against somebody! Where

do you draw the line? When are you going to take an action to help change a dead end course? You admit its a dead

end course but every election you act to perpetuate the problem. Your pragmatic reasoning is, in my eyes, no

different than not bothering to vote or voting the party ticket just because it's your party. You want change but

you do not vote for change, you vote for business as usual and help to make sure that we stay on a course that you

tell us you believe is wrong!

There are no sacred absolutes to be worshiped but there is the recognition that

we must do something. Nothing is going to change until we take action to change it. The alternative is to continue

to follow the path we are now on, one that you acknowledge is not the way you want to see this country go. As far

back as I can remember, every election somebody has presented me with a variation of your pragmatic argument in

support of one candidate and on several occaisions I've heard them in favor of both candidates. And for a while I

fell into to that thought trap. But eventually I realized that that is all it is, a thought trap. It saves us from

the necessity of making hard decisions and allows us to go on our merry way believing we did something for the good

of the country. And that is no more and no less than an excuse which I no longer will accept.

Each side can make

a great argument and tell me why thier side is in the best interests of this country. History and experience shows

me that once elected, at best we will get lip service and more likely we will get lied to some more. And factories

will continue to pollute because they or their proxies paid millions to each candidate's election fund and are owed

favors and so on. But at least we can feel good because we made the pragmatic decision.

Thomas Jefferson

Bel, I really just suggested a

logical framework of possibilities wherein we might agree to disagree, and thereby make progress in identifying the

critical issue; and was not trying to make you personally be wrong (that's why I left you logical room to

maneuver). You must not have liked the framework, since you didn't respond to it directly other than to take its

"pragmatism" out of context and pretend it was meant in an isolated way (which would have undercut my own argument

about amputated principles). I'll be happy to respond if I could be constructive in doing so, but don't want to

reinvent a logical wheel. Perhaps you could suggest a fair logical framework for characterizing our disagreement.

For me, a huge, essential part of rejecting business as usual involves aiming for real philosophical

discussion. (See Plato's Gorgias, the most fundamental document in Western thought for understanding

rhetoric. If there was ever philosophical discussion in politics, it's degenerated to the point where there is

absolutely NO true discussion between sides, thanks to the Karl Roves of the world (the other side has lesser

versions too).)
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 09-19-2004 at 01:49 PM.

Journeyman

Belgareth why did we (me

too
    ) elect Bush to begin with? For that matter how did Arnold Schwarzenegger win over California from the

incumbent? Did people simply recognize them as leaders and welcome them in or did they first want some kind of

change or recognize some fear in staying put?

I'd like to know of a more positive method for choosing a leader

than looking at the record of the incumbent and contrasting it with the words of a new candidate but it seems hard

or impossible to come by.

I know Kerry takes his fair share of negative hits too, so I’m not sure negativity is

such a bad thing if taken in the right way and not to heart.

One way I’ve been thinking of it recently is that

a balance between Democrats and Republicans must be kept for sane bureaucratic decision making to rule the day. So

if you have more of one party than the other in Congress you may need to balance it out with the minority party

gaining the President’s seat.

Another way I look at it is as the Process of Elimination P.O.E. When one

candidate simply says and does all the wrong things you choose the guy who is saying he will do the right thing and

call it a day.

When you look at those last two items I think it takes the entire negativity notion out of the

process. It becomes a dual process of balancing out power between Democrats and Republicans and going through the

process of elimination when it comes to candidates on issues.

Beyond this people tend to look at who they think

the winner will be because they want to vote for the winning side or they want to vote like their buddies and

neighbors so they can pat each other on the back or come across as doing the right thing. I believe this is why the

vote is anonymous in the first place. Too many hurt feelings when you cross your buddies and vote opposite them.

An interesting overview of issues, though pretty incomplete in my view can be found at NPR.

http://www.npr.org/politics/issues2004/

Really though

there are many things in the news that go way beyond this in being informative.

Doc,

Sorry for being a

pig-headed old fart but it has always worked for me.

The way I understand you, and please correct me if I am

wrong, is that you would like me to agree that it is pragmatic to vote Bush out of office. I agree that it is

possibly so. However, as I was trying to point out, there are many good honest people who believe Kerry would be a

far greater disaster than Bush. I don't know if that is true either. What I do know is that both the democrats and

republicans have been responsible for whittling away at our rights, that both parties have supported and condoned

policy decision after policy decision that are destroying the world we live in, that both parties continue to work

on reaching deeper into our pockets which harms every person in this country. I listen to each side and hear the

same noises I heard in the last election and the one before that and so on; "We are going to change things for the

better." But it never happens!

Certainly, there are differences between the democrats and the republicans, but

to my eye they are miniscule. Maybe Kerry would do some small good but maybe he would follow the party line while

bowing to those who paid good money to get him elected as has happened so many other times. History teaches us that

the later is more likely than the former.

There is a large segment of the population that believes Bush is doing

a good job, there is another large segment that believes he must be replaced with anybody. I am saying that we can

no longer afford either of the parties; we cannot afford the petty bickering and we cannot afford the the unkept

promises or the business as usual games that come out of Washington. In your view, pragmatism dictates that we vote

for Kerry because Bush is such a danger to this country, from other's view we must vote for Bush for the same

reasons. I reject both arguments as inherently flawed. They are both extremely dangerous to this country and the

difference between them is inconsequential.

I'm not trying to be difficult and I respect your right and desire

to vote your concience and your belief that you are doing the right thing to help this country. I intend to do the

same but mine tells me that my every political action must be directed towards changing the system rather than being

willing to compromise any longer.

Thomas Jefferson

Journeyman

I realize it is a private

conversation at this point but good points Bel.

The main thing I've reacted to is all the money poured into

Iraq. First we have money to burn and now we're running a deficit again. Too many lives will be ruined and money

lost over there. Plus we can't leave without making many more enemies.

Another part of this whole mess

though has been a long-standing policy of deregulation. This process has been ruining every part of our economy for

a long time now. Deregulate the banks, the airlines, the energy, telecommunications, and next up Social Security and

Medicare. Deregulation even allowed accountants to work for the companies they audit which resulted in the recent

stock market crash.

Deepblue,

I appreciate the

courtesy but it is not a private conversation and everybody is welcome to join in.

The deficit never went away,

that was in large part a paper shuffle. I'll look for the link where it is explained and post it if I can. The war

is a huge farce and really has me upset, mostly abou the innocent lives wasted but the money too. I could go into a

long tirade about it but won't.

Deregulation is a mixed brew and both parties are equally at fault there as

well. Over regulation is also a serious problem, we need to find a middle ground.

Thomas Jefferson

So the disagreement is

twofold:

1. Over the degree of difference between the candidates. I think that might be our biggest

disagreement. This election is fundamentally different than the last one by a long shot, given what we know now

versus then. There are commonalities in their being part of the same corrupt process, but I see Bush as

significantly more entrenched in that very corruption than Kerry. I see Kerry as more consistent with the idea of

rejecting business as usual, though only enough so that continuing the fight for this under him will be possible

and easier than under Bush. But more than that, I see continuing anything will be difficult under Bush,

as we will just invite many crisies, poverties, and disasters upon ourselves, as well as erosion of personal

liberties that will more than overwhelm our ability to continue to fight against the system for years to come --

possibly many, many years. If your friends think Kerry will be disastrous in the way I think Bush would be, I have

no idea what information they are going on, or what their arguments would even be. Kerry isn't militarily weak,

after all - the Republicans' biggest concern. Other than that I just hear cliche Republican sound bytes that are

really not specific to Kerry but more about the proposed superiority of Republicanism. From their side it does seem

like a another boring matchup of tax and spend Democrat versus Republican. But I regard that idea as a smokescreen,

a cover up for the coup attempt that has been started and would continue in a Bush second term. Bush had duped his

own party into following his extremism, closing their eyes to it, by promising all the traditional Republican things

to them.

2. Over the degree of harm that four years of either candidate would likely result in. So "Bush isn't

all that bad as to create a crisis or emergency" that should cause us to prefer a somewhat serpentine path through

Kerry; as opposed to a "straight line toward changing the system". I see that "straight line" as more like a

practical dead end, if it involves allowing Bush to get reelected. I would see that as neglecting more funadamental

issues, like a person continuing their important business ambitions irregardless of their basic health despite

having a basic health issue to attend to. I look at the country like a physical being here. I think if we can stop

the bleeding we will be able to continue the good fight enormously easier. But if Bush gets reelected we will be

isolated in the world, Al Queda will continue to run rampant (he could have easily had Bin Laden and never mentions

him); terrorism will continue to increase in line with the bad will, democracy will continue its nose dive in the

US, the huge damage to the environment will accelerate beyond its already suicidal rate (possibly crossing several

lines of irreversability in damage), poverty and joblessness will continue to skyrocket as they are, and several

millions more Americans will lose health care as they have. The rich will get richer, large corporations, the

worst ones, will more than solidify their hold over the windpipe of culture, politics and the world; we will

bankrupt ourselves with military spending and resources devoted to the oil industry and other pet corrupt interests

of Bush; the hopelessness around the world about American policy will skyrocket, and therefore we will run an

astronomically greater chance of mind bogglingly devastating terrorist attacks on our soil, etc, etc. Our recession

will worsen, but an impoverished citizenry is easier to control, so Bush won't really care. Right now in my city if

you are an an environmental activist you are already liable to be visited and intimidated by the FBI. If you are

Muslim you are already liable to get arrested and held without charge on phony evidence. Police are emboldened all

across the nation to arrest people knowing there is no broken law just because they can. There is apparently no

limit to the amount of liberty to disagree Bush will crush if he can get away with it. There is no way in hell Kerry

is equal on these dimensions of crisis proportion, or any other emergent dimensions! We are talking about a

fundamental, wholesale change for the worse in the structure of America and America's place in the world. It is

tantamount to the disappearance of the America I know. America will become even less democratic here and in its

actions among others in the world (and it's already very bad in this respect). This dwarfs the corruption inherent

in the commonalities between them for the purposes of this election, which will probably be fixed by Rove and

company anyway (that would be routine for him)! It might already be too late, and might be time to move out.

Revolution is pointless. It's only within the system that things could get fixed here. Either Kerry or Bush has to

get elected, and will get elected. It is either "fight the good fight" through one, or the other.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 09-19-2004 at 03:27 PM.

I'll agree with your first two

sentances in the first paragraph. Unfortunately, from that point on, I can't agree with you. You give Kerry and

the democrats the benefit of the doubt where I rely on historical data. The democrats are just as guilty of helping

to destroy our environment although I will give them credit for being more subtle about it. I don't understand

Kerry's stand on the war because it does and has changed several times. That clearly tells me that it can change

again once he is in office. The democrats are just as responsible for stealing our social security system as the

republicans, arguably more guilty. That's a callous disregard for the poor and middle classes. I'm not trying to

defend the republicans who are guilty of as many reprehensible acts, only pointing out that they are equally guilty.

The democrats are the ones that have tried agin and again to take guns away from law abiding citizens while reducing

the penalties for those who use a gun to commit crimes. For those and many other reasons, I cannot accept the

argument that a democratic president will be a bit better for this country than a republican. The differences are

insignificant.

Thomas Jefferson

Cool Don't let that Rove guy get'cha!

If I thought this was essentially about "Democrat vs. Republican" as you just said, I'd agree with

more than 50-75% of what you just said (though that wouldn't be enough to make me not vote for anyone). But that

was a Rovian casting of the election that I don't buy (though I bet many of your friends in Texas, the Rove

propaganda capital of the universe, buy it).

I am not going to just assume in a paranoid fashion that

everything every politician says is a lie so nothing matters. I want to stay sort of grounded in

reality here. (I'd probably still choose the tone of Kerry's lies over Bush's if that were the case, knowing

there's typically some truth behind most lies.) What makes you think I am ignoring historical record? Give specific

examples.

Regarding the one specific about Kerry you mentioned (I'm not real worried about the NRA platform

myself (Kerry is a hunter), and I agree both parties wrecked SS), I don't feel uncomfortable with Kerry's

stand on the war, as I get where he's coming from. There is some -- a tiny bit of -- recasting for political

expediency but not much. You should follow the link Deep Blue provided above and read up, then come back and tell us

exactly what you are talking about with this flip flopping. He hasn't been anywhere near as inconsistent as was

portrayed by Rove and Co.

Again you are painting a Rovian picture of the contest. You have to get into the

historical and political context and think about it to see beneath Rove's "flip flopping" attack. Bush should

have
    flip flopped himself when the rug was pulled out from under his primary war rationale and the other

information came out showing the Saddham links were an illusion. But then it came out that the rationale and

WMD/terrorism links were purposely exaggerated, and that officials were intensely pressured to fabricate

those links (even though the CIA director took the fall). Moreover, the Bush administration was willing to commit

high treason by exposing a CIA agent when her husband, Wilson, wrote an administration report debunking part

of the Saddham/WMD link, and resisted the pressure to fabricate a link. People have stood in front a firing squad in

this country for such treasons the "high administration official" committed in exposing the agent. Carl Rove, who

many suspect, actually said -- in public -- she had it coming to her! Can you believe that?!? The actual Rove quote

was that "she was fair game" for what her husband did (tell the truth when asked to report). A lack of remorse is

essential to his M.O. It almost doesn't matter whether he is guilty of leaking her identity to the conservative

journalist Robert Novak. He is publically condoning treason in one breath and directing the Bush presidency and

campaign with the next. A family's life is ruined, and what CIA agent can now feel protected? Now Bush says, "I'd

really like to know who did it!" Um, could it be your most intimate friend, mentor and associate?

The

situation flip flopped, and the information flip-flopped -- not so much Kerry. The whole country flip flopped. We

were guilty of believing our president, not of changing our minds. It was fabrication and exaggeration to begin

with. Invading Iraq come hell or high water was indisputably on the Bush/Cheney/Rove agenda from day one. People --

government officials -- who wanted to focus more on terrorism and less on Iraq were silenced. That is what the

collected information taken as a whole indicates pretty clearly, if you follow alternative sources of news with the

conventional ones. Remember the ultimatum Bush gave Iraq before we invaded? Essentially: ''Prove you have no WMD

or we'll invade." Iraq was allowing inspections at that point, and had submitted documentation to us to the tune of

10,000 pages or something saying they had no WMD. We had no domestic intelligence on WMD for them -- just something

from London and subjective statements from some other countries like Russia. The CIA failed to live up to Bush's

expectations of the day. Their real crime was in not fabricating enough for Rove's taste (the WMD angle for

justifying the invasion and staying "on message" about it was Rove's idea). I'm not saying Iraq wasn't a problem,

but they never stood a chance to avoid invasion by the time Bush got in.

We are all guilty of screwing up the

environment, you and I included. You are not going to elect any truly environmentally friendly leader in this

country at this moment. I'll take subtle destruction over wholesale devastation any day. It is about optimization

given the realistic possibilities and continuing the good fight -- which is a long term, gradual proposition that

depends on generations dying off and being replaced, unless you have a good way of taking over the country. We need

to be in the here and now too.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 09-19-2004 at 06:04 PM.

Your missing my point! I am not

defending any of the Bush gang's actions. All I intend to do is point out that the two groups are essentially the

same. I also intended to say that the democrats are more subtle in how they formulate laws that allow destruction of

the environment, not how they destroy the environment themselves. Whether the action is forthright or clandistine,

the results are the same, neither party cares to protect the environment. I do not now and never supported the war

in Iraq or Bush's excuses for it, you've read enough of my disparaging comments about it to know that. The gun

issue IS NOT, in my eyes, an NRA issue even though we agree on that one point, it's an invasion into personal

right, and an over-intrusive government issue. It's a failure to properly enforce laws and instead taking away

rights from peaceful citizens issue.

From my perspective, a potential candidate must prove himself to the

people, not force us to decide between evils and that is the choice between the two major candidates in this

election.

Thomas Jefferson

DeepBlue, It's not private,

though it seems so. That's just who's mixing it up the most right now. I appreciate your measured input and your

voice of reason.

Your missing

my point! I am not defending any of the Bush gang's actions. All I intend to do is point out that the two groups

are essentially the same. I also intended to say that the democrats are more subtle in how they formulate laws that

allow destruction of the environment, not how they destroy the environment themselves. Whether the action is

forthright or clandistine, the results are the same, neither party cares to protect the environment. I do not now

and never supported the war in Iraq or Bush's excuses for it, you've read enough of my disparaging comments about

it to know that. The gun issue IS NOT, in my eyes, an NRA issue even though we agree on that one point, it's an

invasion into personal right, and an over-intrusive government issue. It's a failure to properly enforce laws and

instead taking away rights from peaceful citizens issue.

From my perspective, a potential candidate must prove

himself to the people, not force us to decide between evils and that is the choice between the two major candidates

in this election.
    Well I congratulate you for staying "on message". If you go on vacation, I'll argue your

position for you for fifty bucks! You repeatedly assert the two candidates are the same (though you usually

insist on framing it in terms of parties), but asserting something and demonstrating it are two different things. It

is still suprising to me every time you assert it, given how extremely corrupt Bush and gang are as individuals

compared to other Republicans, whereas Kerry is an average Democrat in terms of policies.

But you did make the

point that Kerry flip flops on the war, and that was what I addressed. Other than Blue's link, I was adding the bit

about the context for all our flip flopping on the administration's Iraq policies.

Remember, we both agreed

that our biggest disagreement is in the difference between the candidates. So I expect you'll want to be logical

now and counter my argument by demonstrating how Kerry is a ruthless criminal, since you agree the Bush gang are

ruthless criminals in the ways I have detailed. Otherwise you cannot demonstrate they are substantively the same.

And I'd love to see you compare the two candidates' environmental policies and records for similarities.

Where did I say Bush was a

criminal? Not arguing the point as it is far too hard to prove either way but I'd like to know where I said that.

Thomas Jefferson

When I detailed multiple,

obviously criminal activities you replied you're "not defending any of the Bush gang's actions." The implicit

agreement is there. If you want to "plead no contest" instead, and just say you neither believe nor disbelieve Bush

is criminally corrupt, but choose not to contest it; then I'd suggest you investigate it further. The information

is there, as long as you seek out alternative news, such as books and periodicals, with some eagerness.
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 09-20-2004 at 12:16 AM.

I don't dispute he is crooked

but you are citing allegations not convictions. I misunderstood you and you misunderstood me. I thought you were

referring to proven activities as in the case of Clinton or Nixon. You interpreted my decision to not debate the

point as implicit agreement which it wasn't, it was a decision to not defend the actions of a person I

wholeheartedly disapprove of. While we both have every right to an opinion in the matter, that's all it is, an

opinion.

With that I will bid you a good evening.

Thomas Jefferson

I have no interest in trying

to "prove" things that are a matter of public record (such as Rove's anti-American statement about the agent, but

see below links), but can only summarize some highlights of a mountain of existing information that I believe hangs

together well to paint a compelling picture, and request that people look for info on those topics themselves (I'm

helping a little at the bottom of this post regarding Rove). This is not so much about my opinion, though it's

there; but more about a reasonable person's opinion when exposed to the info about these issues. I am making claims

that information is out there, more than expressing an opinion about it. If someone is exposed to it, my main job is

done. Then I'd just ask, "What is your opinion?" I'd love to know everybody's opinion other than, "It's all BS

and look how bad the tax and spend liberals are". On the other hand, the whole "everybody has their opinion" thing

can be a cop out and promote mental laziness unless applied in hindsight to the available, given information. I know

you are generally well informed, Bel. It is just too bad people mostly depend on Fox news, mainstream newspapers,

and the networks.

I wasn't refering to legal convictions, but to public record and multiple allegations from

reputable sources. I know Rove and Co have been too smart to get caught and/or deterred. (According to the book and

recent documentary on him, Bush's Brain, the powerful Rove tells the law what to do, not vice versa. Besides

influencing lawmakers, he once had two people in Texas convicted and put in jail for years on ridiculous charges by

the FBI just because they were political enemies. The book and film (plus first link below) also indicated that

several times he had his friends in the FBI investigate political enemies on baseless rumors just to destroy them in

the press.) Clinton admitted oral sex, but was not convicted in Whitewater hearings. Nor was he impeached for the

oral sex. Nixon was pardoned and resigned before he could be impeached. Saddam hasn't been convicted of anything to

date. Hitler was convicted post mortem. Mussolini was an exception. Citizens of corrupt governments rarely have

proof available in their government-influenced conventional press. It is unrealistic to wait for a court of law, but

one can be compelled if one seeks enough info.

If a McCain, Powell, Kemp, Ford or Dole were running instead for

the Republicans, I would maybe go to "neutrality-land" with you, assuming the last 4 years would have been much

better, and the next not so scary. I voted for Reagan and bitched at people for demonizing him, even though he had a

nasty case of tunnel vision. But I've just seen too much information about this set of individuals. I just hope

somebody upstairs is looking out for us.

For more on Karl Rove from solid journalistic

sources:
    http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww

3/120503_rove.html

http://www.

guardian.co.uk/uselections2004/story/0,13918,1165126,00.html
    (link good but slow to load)
    Last edited by DrSmellThis; 09-20-2004 at 01:02 AM.

Doc,

You do a good job of

reinforcing my cynical view of our government. But you haven't yet given me a reason to vote FOR Kerry, just more

reason to believe that our system is hopelessly corrupt and that I need to spend every effort to try to change the

system.

You and I will not agree and I admit that my viewpoint is pretty radical. The whole point to my

posistion, and the more we discuss it the more you reinforce it, is the belief that we need to wake up and work on

fixing the problem instead of bandaiding it every few years. Let me present an alternative thought to you. If Bush

is indeed as crooked as you state, would it not be more rewarding to see him removed from office through being

prosecuted? That's not an agreement or disagreement that he is a criminal, only a hypothetical question. We still

have to deal with the fact that approximately half the voters like him and feel he is doing the job well. This is a

democracy, after all.

Thomas Jefferson

Man of La Pancha

Two random comments (you

wouldn't expect anything less):

1. I think the main reason Kerry has the "indecisive" stigma is because of the

"anyone but Bush" sentiment. If you're put in a race where the only thing voters say you have to do is not

be Bush to win, what are you going to do? You're going to hang on the fence until the election is over. Now

everyone is criticizing him for a strategy that was almost forced on him by the democratic mindset. "We'll vote

for anyone as long as it's not Bush." Well, then, better not make any sudden moves to get them to think Bush is a

good idea. It's almost like Head of State, only the opposite circumstances. In the movie, they have no

chance of winning because the other guy's a boyscout, so they put in the candidate that will make them look the

best as a party for giving the little guy, Chris Rock, a shot. In this race, the other guy is portrayed by the

media as the complete opposite (I won't go there), so they put in the candidate that has absolutely no chance of

rocking the boat and hope he gets in purely on his character.

The fact that people criticize Kerry is a joke

because people told him that all he'd have to do is look good until election day and he'd be President. Just goes

to show you that you should never listen to the masses because they don't know what they're talking about, and

then they'll turn on you and throw you to the wolves.

2. I'm really tired about hearing about tax breaks

for the rich. I shake my head every time someone gives this argument. It's the 80/20 rule. The top 20% of

American income pays 80% of the taxes. Any tax break, even if 75% of the breaks went to the lowest income segment

and 25% went to the highest 50%, the richest people would still see the most benefit. It's simple math. I hope to

strive towards a higher income bracket, so there's no way I'm going to try to force all of the taxes on to rich

people for I don't want to be paying 50% of my hard-earned money to taxes when I start making a comfortable salary.

The lowest income bracket pays 10% of their money to taxes. The highest income bracket can pay anywhere between 30

and 50% of their income to taxes. How is this not fair? It's almost ironic that rich people even pay for stuff

they'll never use. They pay for public schooling and welfare that they'll never use. They pay for Social

Security that they may never even file for when they're older because they have plenty of money.

This is why

I hate politics. You can't win. Even when you win, you lose. When you lose, I still say you win for not having

to put up with millions of people complaining that you're the source of their problems...

...that said, if

there's an amendment banning gay marriage, I'm going to lose all respect for my country that says it's the "land

of the free"...land of the free my ass (if they pass anything like this on the issue).

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho1188
    Two random

comments (you wouldn't expect anything less):

2. I'm really tired about hearing about tax breaks for the

rich. I shake my head every time someone gives this argument. It's the 80/20 rule. The top 20% of American income

pays 80% of the taxes. Any tax break, even if 75% of the breaks went to the lowest income segment and 25% went to

the highest 50%, the richest people would still see the most benefit. It's simple math. I hope to strive towards a

higher income bracket, so there's no way I'm going to try to force all of the taxes on to rich people for I don't

want to be paying 50% of my hard-earned money to taxes when I start making a comfortable salary. The lowest income

bracket pays 10% of their money to taxes. The highest income bracket can pay anywhere between 30 and 50% of their

income to taxes. How is this not fair? It's almost ironic that rich people even pay for stuff they'll never use.

They pay for public schooling and welfare that they'll never use. They pay for Social Security that they may never

even file for when they're older because they have plenty of money.

...that said, if there's an amendment

banning gay marriage, I'm going to lose all respect for my country that says it's the "land of the free"...land of

the free my ass (if they pass anything like this on the issue).
    Pancho,

I hate to give you the bad news

but the tax rate is significantly higher than those you quoted. You are only looking at the up-front taxes. Start

adding in SSI, sales tax, property tax, school taxes and so on, you'll find the average is close to 50% if not

somewhere over that in some states. And what do we get for paying half of every dollar earned in taxes?

Many

people think it is fair to tax the highest wage earners higher but I believe it a disincentive. Why bust your ass to

do well when the government is going to take it away from you? A modified flat tax would seem to be much more fair

and in the interests of the people as a whole. By modified I mean that a very small segment of the lowest income

earners would pay no taxes. Otherwise, everybody pays the same percentage of their earnings. One of the greatest

benefits would be the ability to drastically reduce the size and scope of the IRS, an inefficient parasitic branch

of government that has grown far to powerful for our good.

Banning gay marraige is just another example of too

much government intrusion into the private affairs of individuals.

Thomas Jefferson

Man of La Pancha

Pancho,

I

hate to give you the bad news but the tax rate is significantly higher than those you quoted. You are only looking

at the up-front taxes. Start adding in SSI, sales tax, property tax, school taxes and so on, you'll find the

average is close to 50% if not somewhere over that in some states. And what do we get for paying half of

every dollar earned in taxes?
    I was only counting Federal taxes because, after all, we're talking about

the President and the Federal government. The president doesn't institute sales tax, which actually taxes

poor people more than rich people, or other taxes. On that topic, I pay 10% sales tax, so all you

people can quit your whining about paying your lousy 5-8% (or 0% in Delaware)...

As for your thought on

the modified flat tax, it's a good idea. I believe in the flat tax as rich people will naturally be paying more

because they have more money. However, this would mean that poor people will probably be paying more (as I said,

they only pay ~10%, so it'll never happen because a flat tax would probably increase taxes for the poor if you want

richer people to continue to pay a lot...that's why we have the tiered system as it is now).

Anyway, as I said,

I was talking about Federal taxes. I apologize for going on a rant that mentioned other taxes that may have strayed

from Federal taxes (schools, etc.) as I was focusing on Federal tax for the basis of my statistics.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information