Close

Phero Dude

Default Memory Improvement

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Does anyone out

there have any pointers towards some useful stuff for memory improvement? I had it driven home to me this weekend

that I really need to work on my face<->name matching skills. Thus far, I've managed to get by, but as I dance with

more and more folks, it seems they're remembering me a whole lot better than I'm remembering them. Anyone have

pointers to decent books that deal with the subject, or have some tips and tricks they'd care to share?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetetive electronic music." --Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc., 1989

Man of La Pancha

"I have one of the best

memories of anyone I know...but since I can't remember that many people, I guess that makes it easy."

---

Pancho Rivera

This joke actually rings true for me in a way. I have a great memory, and I'm always

remembering things others have forgotten. However, I'm very bad with names. I couldn't remember a name that I

couldn't recognize (e.g. Saagar) if you paid me. It's hard for a lot of people. Here are tips for remembering

names:

1. Repetition. Say the name over and over again in your head while looking at them. Repetition is the

oldest form of memorization.

2. When you meet them, say their name at least twice. You could probably get away

with saying it three times right away:

-What's your name?
    -Henrietta.
    -Henrietta?
    -Yes.
    -Hello, Henrietta.

It's nice to meet you, Henrietta.

Twice is more realistic, but you could get three if you had a hard time

hearing the name the first time.

3. Associate the name/face with something:

(From Bridget Jones'

Diary
    )

"It is my pleasure to introduce Mr...(thinking to herself: Tits pervert. Tits pervert) Mr...(tits

pervert)...Mr. Fitzherbert... because that's his name."

Seriously, though...I used this just recently. I met a

man named Vineet. Anyway, I used to play an old sailing game for the Super Nintendo called Uncharted Waters -

New Horizons
    that had a Venetian Galleas. I associated the name with that ship/game (Vineet-Venetian), and now

when I see him I never forget his name. There was another man at the gym named Jeremiah...I never forgot his name,

either, because he was a bullfrog. He was a person, of course, but he was also a bullfrog...because we all know

that, Joy to the World, Jeremiah was a bullfrog. I'll never forget his name, either. Unfortunately, I

associated the name to the clothes because I didn't get a distinct picture of his face, so now I'm screwed because

I have a name with no face.

Put the person's name in the song you're dancing to...
    "I like Brenda and I

cannot lie...you other brothers' can't deny..."
    "Pancho, Pancho, we want Pancho...P-A-N...C-H-O...Pancho,

boys!!!"
    "I got the Camusflage...I know if I can hit once, I can hit twice..."
    "I'm down with DST, yeah you know

me!"
    "Whoomp! There's my Holmes!"
    "...now Tallmacky's back in towwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn! Look out Tallmacky's

back!"
    "Einstein, James Dean, Brooklyn's got a winning team..."
    "I know you like to think that koolking don't

stank, but lean a lil' bit closer, yeah, cause Snoopy really smells like (we'll be nice) boooooooooooooooo..."

The point is, though, that if you can associate them, you'll remember them a lot better.

"[Shave and a

haircut] Pancho Rivera, two bits!"

I may sound like a two-bit whore, but you'll never forget my damn name, will

you?

PR

I have the same problem. Great

pointers Pancho

Do you use the same association technique for remembering the real name of a person where you

usually just see the nick? ..I tend to forget the real names of people I chat with online..

I'm hopeless with

names, but give me a number combination though and I'll remember to put it on your tombstone..

look into nootropics these are

various supplements that improve memory and brain function as well as concentration.

Man of La Pancha

Quote Originally Posted by TheViking
    I have the

same problem. Great pointers Pancho

Do you use the same association technique for remembering the real name

of a person where you usually just see the nick? ..I tend to forget the real names of people I chat with online..

I'm hopeless with names, but give me a number combination though and I'll remember to put it on your tombstone..

A name is just an alphabetized number...you could just change the letters into numbers...

Pancho =

16-1-14-3-8-15

On second thought...

Association is gold, though...I met a girl named Miranda online, and

I said, "Can I read you your rights?" (allusion to Miranda rights...ha, ha...) or something like that...I'll never

forget her name after that bad but 100% useful joke. In fact, I do not remember her screenname, but I remember her

real name. Strange. I guess that just goes to show you how well association works.

You could go crazy and make

up a rhyme with their name...

There once was a man named Will Farrel
    Who acts like he'd been stuffed in a

barrel
    And rolled down the hill
    To all his friends' thrill
    Even though his own life was in peril

TheViking is to my liking...but I couldn't see anything in camusflage...

(Camouflage...ha, ha...)

Phero Dude

Quote Originally Posted by bryanm
    look into

nootropics these are various supplements that improve memory and brain function as well as

concentration.
    While I'll consider it, I think what I need is something more in the technique /

procedure realm. I have a sneaking suspicion that my inability to remember names comes from two things, namely my

ADD, which while "redirected" still rears itself from time to time, and second, my temperment. As an NT, I have the

ability to process multiple streams of information very quickly, but my ability to retain "unimportant" details is

not so hot. Once committed to long-term memory, things stick. It's making the jump to long-term memory that I need

to focus on.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetetive electronic music." --Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc., 1989

i noticed a vast improvement with

various cognative functions once i started the noortropics

Smile

Eat lots of fish

is what my mom always said to me..
    Because it was brain

food!
    A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you can not do."

Quote Originally Posted by SweetBrenda
    Eat

lots of fish is what my mom always said to me..
    Because it was

brain food!
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
    If a guy's a cocksucker in his life, when he dies, he don't become a saint. - Morris Levy, Hitmen

Holmes' Theme Song

Phero Dude

Quote Originally Posted by SweetBrenda
    Eat lots of fish is what my mom always said to me..
    I'm not too

worried about the brain food thing.. If anything, maybe I should starve it a little bit given its tendency towards

being on the over-active side. I'm more interested in trying to alter the filtering of what makes it to long-term

memory.

As near as I can isolate, it comes down to making sure that such things are mentally tagged as being

important. I met several different folks this past weekend, trying to note names and faces, mentally repeating the

name while talking to them. So far, it's worked. I remembered the one I had forgotten before that triggered this

whole thing when I ran into her on Friday, so there's been some appreciable improvement already. I had a goof on

Thursday (I had met her before embarking on my quest), but I can remember her name now, so I think I'll probably

remember when next I see her also.

Journeyman

Stress causes people to forget

a lot of important things. The only thing you can really do about it is to stay on top of work and keep organized.

Copious sex makes me forget stuff too. Total brain wipe if it is good enough.

Stranger

Hey Guys and Gals,

One

thing that I 've used with GREAT success in improving my mental concentration, both for workouts and for memory is

a couple of different supplements that were designed for just that, concentration and memory. HEHE I believe, based

from my experience that with a more focused concentration in turn my memory has greatly improved. The two products I

've used with AWESOME results are Powerdrive by Biotest and Nerostim by Scivation. Both products do about the same

thing, so no need to buy both. Powerdrive is being discontinued by Biotest because of cost to produce but there is

still product in stock. I would advise not purchasing directly through their company websites as they tend to be

more expensive. One place that I've found that offers great discounts is

www.netrition.com but I do know that there are other places out there that

offer comparable pricing. Best bet is to go through Google. Anyway, one note follow all directions when taking. Hope

this helps!! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

"Adversity causes some some men to

break...and...others to break records..."

Thread Information