Close

BDC Concepts Chemo (BDC Concepts)'s Avatar

Default Putative pheromone activates cortical fields in the human brain...

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurochem Int. 2004 Jun;44(8):595-600
    The putative

pheromone androstadienone activates cortical fields in the human brain related to social

cognition.

Gulyas B, Keri S, O'Sullivan BT, Decety J, Roland PE.

Department of Neuroscience,

Karolinska Institute, S-171 77 Stockholm, Sweden. balazs.gulyas@neuro.ki.se

Abstract:
    Using

15O-butanol positron emission tomography (PET), we measured regional cerebral blood flow changes in five healthy

young women during exposure to androstadienone, a putative human pheromone, as well as pleasant

(gamma-methyl-ionone), unpleasant (methyl-thio-butanoate), and neutral (dipropylene glycol; vehicle compound)

odours. Compared with the odorous substances, androstadienone activated a widely distributed neuronal network. Two

large cortical fields exhibited consistent activation in each contrast: the anterior part of the inferior lateral

prefrontal cortex (PFC) and the posterior part of the superior temporal cortex (STP). Intriguingly, these areas were

deactivated by gamma-methyl-ionone and methyl-thio-butanoate. These brain regions can be identified as cortical

fields underlying other than olfactory functions, including various aspects of social cognition and

attention.
    I don't know if these articles have been posted before so someone feel free to delete

these if redundant.

Looks like dienone may hold promise

Bobby
    Last edited by Chemo (BDC Concepts); 07-17-2004 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Clean up truncated title

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Yep, this one has been talked

about a lot, but the other A1 study hasn't. Plus, you can't publicise this stuff too much for all the newbies

coming through.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Well, for those new

to pheromones it may help to read that there is scientific evidence to support excitement in the

brain.

...maybe if someone can dig up the old post and give it a good 'ole BUMP it might help re-ignite the

discussion.

Bobby

Lightbulb Analysis: A1 and the The State of the Art in Pheromonology

Well, as it currently stands, A1 is looking to be the basic, effective pheromone of

interest, due to the breadth and depth of activity (not just triggering), as well as its prominence on the skin; and

the other -mones are looking like they function as modifiers of A1's broad, basic effect. So, for example, A1 gets

their attention, fires up the social cognition, increases physiological arousal; and -nol/-rone/-none provides

specific content to the social cognition and to activity on the arousal pathway.

This all is just how it looks

at the moment, but this is a significant (tentative) clarification of the picture, at least the 16-androstene

picture we have been accustomed to discussing!

This is good news for Pherin, and bad news for perfumers who

work elsewhere. I'd like to see Revlon and the other corporate perfume giants spank them in court. Then we'd be

"free" to perfume away!

The role of DHEA-S has not been clarified, however. It might well be more basic than

A1.

It is also an interesting problem to be solved whether the well-known depressive side effects of A1 are

simply a function of the amount of synthetic A1 used; or might be modulated by the presence of some other

chemical (e.g., -dienol or some other pregnenolone metabolite) that would allow greater quantities of it to be used

without side effects. I suspect the latter to be partially true, and that the secret ingredients in Chikara are

likely candidates for this role.

Last edited by DrSmellThis; 07-18-2004 at 11:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis
    Well, as it

currently stands, A1 is looking to be the basic, effective pheromone of interest, due to the breadth and depth of

activity (not just triggering), as well as its prominence on the skin; and the other -mones are looking like they

function as modifiers of A1's broad, basic effect. So, for example, A1 gets their attention, fires up the social

cognition, primes the arousal pathway; and -nol/-rone/-none provides content to the social cognition and to activity

on the arousal pathway.

This all is just how it looks at the moment, but this is a significant (tentative)

clarification of the picture
    , at least the 16-androstene picture we have been accustomed to discussing!

If I am understanding this correctly, it would in part explain why we get such erratic responses

to mones. One person can get away with wearing very smalll amounts and get hits where others wear 5-10 times the

amount with little or no results. Unless they have sufficient A1 in their natural signature or there is some other

simultaneous exposure to it, the other mones don't have a pathwway to create arousal.

I thought the sulfate in DHEA-s

was just to increase polarity to make it easier to get rid of. That would mean the body was done using it. The

sulfate ion also adds some weight, making the smell a bit less dispersable.

Actually, I've seen

several studies that indicate a sulfonated compound is metabolized by cornyform bacteria preferentially (and each

was measured on a log scale!). So, it would appear the inclusion of DHEA-s is to harvest ones own cornyform

bacteria and produce a more natual pheromone signature.

Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by belgareth
    If I am

understanding this correctly, it would in part explain why we get such erratic responses to mones. One person can

get away with wearing very smalll amounts and get hits where others wear 5-10 times the amount with little or no

results. Unless they have sufficient A1 in their natural signature or there is some other simultaneous exposure to

it, the other mones don't have a pathwway to create arousal.
    Could it be that LaCroy's secret

ingredient does this (even if it is not A-1)??

If so, it would be more reason to push for a secret ingredient

additive....Stuff like AE just does not work that great for me, probably because I don't have too much a-1 (or LC

secret) in my signature.

The function of the sulfate

part is both to preserve is from unneeded, premature metabolism, enabling DHEA to be stored; and in my view, also to

enable it to reach the skin where it can act as a pheromone. DHEA-S exists in large quantities on the skin, and can

be converted to a variety of pheromones there. Therefore, I consider it to be a pheromone. When I take only 5mg of

DHEA, I can smell it or its metabolites on my skin (e.g., forearms) 30 minutes later as a musky smell.

I've been saying these things for a while now, for example:

http://www.pherolibrary.com/forum/showth

read.php?t=5338&highlight=DHEA

Thread Information