Close

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast

visit-red-300x50PNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes
    Unfortunately,

the ability to make one's own rules comes with a level of personal responsibility that many people are just plum

not ready for.
    You have a tremendous ability for understatement, don't you?
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

I have a chance to see a

special of National Treasure, along with some extra footage that didnt get into the movie.
    I'm a mason and a

kinght templer.
    so Im kinda jazzed up for that...

Man of La Pancha

I loved watching National

Treasure because I said, "Hey, I work a few blocks from there!" First, I went to the Archives and said, "I'm going

to steal the Declaration of Independence." After getting arrested for threatening to steal the Declaration of

Independence and seeing the display they had that said, "What's on the back?" (it just has the date on the back, by

the way), I saw the movie. It was fun!

& Double Naught Spy InternationalPlayboy's Avatar

I

watched What The Bleep Do We Know? last night. Great message (dead on, if watered-down to Aquafina). Cheesy

packaging.

Anyone else see it?
    Interesting and a bit of synchronicity for me to read this post

this morning. At a presentation in Phoenix last November, my meditation teacher recommended this film. I had never

heard of it before and thought there was little chance that it would play in my town. I just checked my email and

from one of the Yahoo groups I belong to, I got notice tonight that the film will be playing in a small California

community just across the Colorado River from my town on April 15th. Admission is only $5, cheaper than the theatres

in this town.

Knowing that the town doesn't have a theatre of it's own, I suspect that it will be shown in

a church. Signs point to go though, and if I get there early, "good eats" will be available for only $5

more.

As a person who believes we do create our reality but often forgets to put it in practice (especially

the past few weeks), I need all the reminders I can get. I am writing down the date on my calendar as soon as I post

this.

Thanks for mentioning the film today Holmes. And thanks DrSmellThis, for your take on the picture.

Hmmm, a web search

shows the film will be shown at an RV park. Just type type of people I bitch about all winter. Must be some kind of

karma involved there.

“I Love Huckabees”. Missed it at the

theaters and just caught it on video. It’s completely silly yet hugely entertaining at the same time.
    Mark

Wahlberg and Isabelle Huppert make a great pair of nihilists.
    “Cruelty, manipulation, meaninglessness”

have never looked so good.
    Give truth a chance.

Default All Moned Up for the Geratric Crowd

I watched What The Bleep Do We Know? last night. Great message (dead on,

if watered-down to Aquafina). Cheesy packaging.

Anyone else see it?
    After some ambivalence due

to the venue it was showing at (a 1950s era trailer park), I saw it tonight. It did have the feeling of "Afterschool

Special" meets "Donald Duck in Mathamagic Land" in places, but I liked it. I think it's worth watching several

times, I think I'll try to find a used copy on Amazon.

Hoping that there might be women of interest there, I

put on three dabs of Pheros/NPA 3:1 and two sprays of Chikara. I was not surprised to find though, that the crowd

was closer to my parents' age than mine. Though I had my usual pre-event jitters, I'm happy to report I was not

self-conscious at all after my initial entry.

I think the movie was something I needed to see, especially due

to the coincidence of seeing Holmes' post about the same day it was announced it was to be shown in my area. I have

been studying "Science of Mind" for several years but have problem puting it into practice. The old wriring is hard

to change. I have seen evidence of the movie's message in real life but still revert to my old negative

ways.

Interestingly, the main actress in the movie kept seeing weird things. On the drive back home, I was on

my town's main drag, a 4 lane street with a turning lane. I saw some guy run into the street from the opposite side

and then realized that I had just passed a guy holding a beer sitting in a shopping cart in the turning lane of the

road. In the rearview mirror, I saw the guy on foot push the other guy back into a motel parking lot. I wonder what

that means... (Other than it must be a good party they're having.)

I watched

What The Bleep Do We Know? last night. Great message (dead on, if watered-down to Aquafina). Cheesy

packaging.

Anyone else see it?
    I haven't seen the movie, but it appears to be propaganda for

the Ramtha. I look forward to watching it.

http://www.ramtha.com/

Quote Originally Posted by culturalblonde
    I haven't seen the movie, but it appears to be propaganda for the Ramtha. I look forward to

watching it.

http://www.ramtha.com/
    That's something that concerned me when I

realized who the particular woiman was. Too much negative press in the 1980s/90s has influenced my opinion about

him/her. But I'm keeping an open mind as my meditation teacher has some far out claims and I also enjoy listening

to another channeler's tapes, Abraham-Hicks.

The movie was first recommended to me by my meditation

teacher. The people who attended last night were strangers to me (though I did recognize one guy from work), but I

think they were mainly Science of Mind people, which is basically a kind of positive thinking.

Kind of funny

that it is Ramtha propaganda as I was joking before I saw it that I was going to be indoctrinated into another cult

at the movie.

The discussion at IMDB about the movie is really heated. I'm glad I waited until after I saw

the movie to look it up there. I think the main point of the movie isn't some of the pseudo science that they

feature, but to get you thinking about how the way you look at the world shapes your experiences.

"There is

no good or bad but thinking makes it so." - Shakespeare

"As a man thinketh in his heart so is he." - James

Allen

(Again, something I realize but have much difficulty puting into practice.)

After posting here

last night, I ended up buying a DVD copy of the movie off of Amazon Marketplace at a discounted price.

Man of La Pancha

Quote Originally Posted by InternationalPlayboy
    It

did have the feeling of "Afterschool Special" meets "Donald Duck in Mathamagic Land" in places, but I liked it.
    Hey, I liked Donald Duck in Mathemagic Land...I watched it a half-dozen times when I was a

kid. The billiard player, the math in nature segment, the math in engineering segment...that was fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Pancho1188
    Hey, I liked Donald Duck in Mathemagic Land...I watched it a half-dozen times when

I was a kid. The billiard player, the math in nature segment, the math in engineering segment...that was fun!

I liked that too, saw it in school. That was the closest comparason I could come up with

for the animation parts though.

Do you like Pixar movies?

I'm amazed at the role CGI has taken in movies. My favorites are: Toy Story, Shrek and Finding Nemo.

Quote Originally Posted by culturalblonde
    Do you

like Pixar movies? I'm amazed at the role CGI has taken in movies. My favorites are: Toy Story, Shrek and Finding

Nemo.
    Pixar films are fantastic! Although after watching some of their out takes added at the end of the

DVDs I wonder what they put in the water cooler. Those folk do have fun.
    To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.

Thomas Jefferson

Default Shopgirl!

Saw

Shopgirl in San Diego last weekend. I think it's the best movie I've seen this year. I read the novella a few

years ago and liked it, thinking they could never make a movie that did it justice. Well, they did!

Check out

the production notes to read more about it.

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

This is going to reveal me as

a dork, but I loved Wallace and Gromit! Nothing like a little positivity.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSmellThis
    This is going to reveal me as a dork, but I loved Wallace and Gromit! Nothing like a little

positivity.
    I like that kind of animation (CGI for feature films doesn't move me) and the short

Wallace and Gromit pieces I've seen. But I was disappointed in Chicken Run so have been hesitant to see this one.

It's on my list though, but I may wait to borrow the parents' DVD, which I'm sure they'll buy when it's

released.

Doctor of Scentology DrSmellThis's Avatar

Chiken Run had lots of crappy

reviews, but the characters and spirit in this are wonderful.

Part of that is having seen the movie with my new,

wonderful girlfriend. So maybe I'm not being objective.
    DrSmellThis (creator of P H E R O S)

Just saw "The

Producers." I think it's better than the original, but no "Kung Fu Hustle." As for musicals, I think Chicago was

better, though Producers has its moments.

Uma Thurman has some long legs! I never noticed before. That must

be why she was barefoot dancing with Travolta in "Pulp Fiction." I bet she's taller than he is. I never realized

before how tall she actually is.

The movie was fun and the songs catchy though. I think the scene at the gay

director's house was the funniest. And I had a problem at first with Matthew Broderick freaking out in the first

scene. It seemed like he was trying too hard to channel Gene Wilder's performance in the original film there.

A bit of trivia: In the original movie, when they sang "Springtime for Hitler," there's a line, "don't be

stupid, be a smarty, come and join the Nazi party." That's was Mel Brook's voice, though he never appeared on

screen. They use his voice again for that line in the musical version too.

Funny, when I worked at a movie

theatre, I always resented having to work on Christmas day. This is the second Christmas that I've gone to see a

matinee. Last year it was that Steve Zizou movie. I've mainly gone, besides wanting to see the shows, to get out of

the house full of too many relatives.

I forgot to mention,

the movie was produced by Sony, so anyone doing a full boycott of their products due to their copyguard issue be

warned. I myself will buy the (Sony label) soundtrack, as long as it doesn't have that pain in the butt technology

imbedded in it.

Thank You For Smoking.

Right smack in that distinguished space between hilarious and nauseating. Really well done - worth the

wait.

A nice, pitch-black family comedy. Highly recommended.
    If a guy's a cocksucker in his life, when he dies, he don't become a saint. - Morris Levy, Hitmen

Holmes' Theme Song

This one's several

years old, but I saw for the first time a couple of months ago at the dentist's office. He has these glasses with

little LCD screens in them so you can watch DVDs to distract you from what he's doing in your mouth.

Anyway,

the movie's "A Knight's Tale." From the moment I saw the audience at the joust singing, "We Will Rock You," I was

hooked. I didn't get to see the whole thing, so I went out and bought the director's cut that afternoon.

Disappointed that it didn't have the funny commentary soundtrack by the director and one of the actors, I then

ordered a used copy of the original version off of Amazon.com.

The movie got some bad reviews from people

thinking it was going to be a period piece. But I feel the use of modern rock "classics" and behavior in the movie

worked to it's advantage. I think besides the jousting action, my favorite scene is the banquet, where they start

to dance a Minuet type of dance and it merges into everyone getting down to David Bowie singing "Golden Years."

Munich was a good movie.

It's based on a true story of what happened after the massacre of 11 Israelie atheletes back in the 1972 Olympics.

5 men were hired as a hit squad to go after the Palestinian terrorists who were responsible for the massacre.

Another good movie is Lord Of War, featuring Nicolas Cage, as an international arms dealer and Ethan Hawke

plays an Interpol agent who chases Cage's character.

“The Notorious Bettie

Page”.
    The political sub-plot was pretty lame and seemed like more of a marketing ploy than anything else.

But the personality profile was very touching: a tragi-comic tale of unflinching innocence. Some very cute naughty

bits, and lots of extraordinary acting.
    Give truth a chance.

The one with Gretchen Mol? Is that

playing anywhere in the city right now?
    If a guy's a cocksucker in his life, when he dies, he don't become a saint. - Morris Levy, Hitmen

Holmes' Theme Song

The one with Gretchen

Mol?
    That’s the one. (She’s a QT.) If it’s playing in Denver it must be playing at a theater near

you. We didn’t get “Thank You For Smoking” until a week after your post. (Good recommendation by the way. It’s

always funny when coppertops try to sort through ethical dilemmas.)
    Give truth a chance.

Oops, I'd forgotten you were out

West. (Why was I thinking NYC?)

Yeah, I've heard positive things about Mol's handling of the role, how she

really brought to life the person behind the persona, how she captured Page's innocence and vulnerability, how she

really was Bettie, etc. I'm kinda relieved that they didn't choose a higher-profile actress for this -

Angelina Jolie or whomever. (Now, if only Joss Whedon would cast Emily Deschanel as Wonder Woman...) Looking forward

to this one, for sure.

Glad you enjoyed TYFS. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry for a lot of that

movie - for most of it, I wanted to do both at the same time. The overarching message is pretty goddamned

depressing.

BR was awesome, though. "We don't sell Tic Tacs, we sell cigarettes. And they're cool,

available, and addictive...the job is almost done for us."

Holmes' Theme Song

Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a.
    “The

Notorious Bettie Page”.
    The political sub-plot was pretty lame and seemed like more of a marketing ploy than

anything else. But the personality profile was very touching: a tragi-comic tale of unflinching innocence. Some very

cute naughty bits, and lots of extraordinary acting.
    Been looking forward to this one. Opened in San

Diego yesterday, so I'll be able to catch it there in a couple of weeks. Hopefully, the "Not Smoking" movie will

still be there too. These kind of movies play in the "art houses," the nearest of which to my motel is in a gay

neighborhood. Within walking distance from the motel though, if I want to hike about a mile up a steep canyon road.

I saw "Shopgirl" at that neighborhood's theatre last year. Before the show, they showed a preview for some kind of

movie about two shirtless cowboys who fall in love on a fishing trip. I wanted to laugh out loud as I thought it

looked like a very bad movie and didn't even know they made films like that. Little did I know at the time that

"Brokeback Mountain" was a mainstream movie that would get a lot of publicity.

Back to

Bettie Page, when she first started to regain popularity in the 1980s, I found there was some kind of primal

attraction to her, as if I had seen her somewhere before. I think they were still printing her pictures long after

she retired from the scene, in those cheap mature joke mags that I bought as a pre-teen in the early 1970s.

Quote Originally Posted by InternationalPlayboy
    I found

there was some kind of primal attraction to her, as if I had seen her somewhere before. I think they were still

printing her pictures long after she retired from the scene, in those cheap mature joke mags that I bought as a

pre-teen in the early 1970s.
    Same here. Her dominatrix shots actually look quite scary — and are

a big turn-off. But I think a lot of her “jungle queen” shots are still pretty sexy. I’ve got a bunch of them tacked

up in my study/junk room.
    Who’d’ve thought the “pin-up queen of the universe” was actually a sweet little holy

roller from Tennessee?
    Give truth a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by a.k.a.
    Same

here. Her dominatrix shots actually look quite scary — and are a big turn-off. But I think a lot of her “jungle

queen” shots are still pretty sexy. I’ve got a bunch of them tacked up in my study/junk room.
    Who’d’ve

thought the “pin-up queen of the universe” was actually a sweet little holy roller from

Tennessee?
    Yeah, I'm not into those or her bondage stuff either. It's just creepy to me. But for

awhile I collected some of her cheesecake items. Space limitations have caused me to cut down on that kind of stuff

now.

I didn't know whether

to laugh or cry for a lot of that movie - for most of it, I wanted to do both at the same time.

That’s pretty much how I felt about the father-son relationship.
    With regards to the movie as a whole, my

uneasiness centered around the question, Is this movie a hard hitting lampoon of business ‘ethics’? (eg. Being good

at what you do is more important than doing good. And Sam Eliot’s great line, “I was good at killing Viet Cong, but

I didn’t try to make a living out of it.”) Or is it a convenient rationalization for our culture’s ethical

breakdown? (eg. Since when did paying the mortgage become a valid moral argument?)
    Either way, the true face of

evil is portrayed quite graphically, for anyone that cares to see it.

Anyway... Since I’m going on and on

about movies, here’s some DVD recommendations:
    “Serenity” and “Secuestro Express” are a couple of low

budget movies that make their high-budget parallels (“Star Wars” and “Man on Fire”) seem wimpy by comparison.

“Serenity” is a sci-fi/action movie with very compelling characters and lots of clever twists. Plus it portrays the

classic theme of Rebels vs. Empire with a good sense of humor and without a lot of heavy handed moralizing.
    “Man

on Fire” was a good movie, but “Secuestro Express” handles the topic of Latin American abductions with the kind of

realism that makes your palms sweaty. (If you thought “Man on Fire” was suspenseful, you’re going to need some Xanax

for “Secuestro Express”.) There’s no heroes to save the day and the villains aren’t caricatures of Evil. They’re

desperate people at the end of their ropes and you never know when they’re going to go off. (Not to mention, Mia

Maestro is ravishing.)

Last, but not least, “Dot the I” has got to be one of my favorite movies of all

time. I didn’t catch it at the theaters because it seemed like just another love triangle.
    There is a love

triangle. But, right from the start, you get the sense that something menacing is going on.
    You pretty much have

to see it twice to appreciate what the screen-writer is doing. The first time around he basically f**ks with your

mind and toys with your emotions. The second time around you realize how the real story is being told in the margins

of what you first thought the story was about.
    Give truth a chance.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information