PDA

View Full Version : "I Need (Want) Someone With A Sense of Humor"

Pancho1188
04-02-2004, 05:46 AM
Ever wonder why that is one of the most popular cliches known to the human race on attraction? Well,

recent research in psychology has uncovered a little bit of information about humor that may answer that

question.

Many scientists believe that humor was an evolutionary trait created to create a stronger parent-child

bond. Tickling is one of the main sources of fun and bonding in that relationship, and it\'s no coincidence.

Laughter generates a lot of chemical activity in the brain that releases pleasant hormones that make your time with

that person special, fun, memorable, and happy so you develop a closeness with them.

However, laughter was not

limited to childhood and stays with humans into adulthood. Comedians exploit that evolutionary trait by creating

material that generates the same reactions. The laughter bond also does not limit itself to parent-child bonds. It

has become the basis for strong friendships and relationships. It is a way that people become close to one another

and a way to generate feelings of well-being around the person. The interesting part of laughter is it isn\'t

always aligned with humor. For instance, I can (try to) make humorous comments on this forum all day, but I can

assure you that almost no one sitting alone at their computer at home/office is going to laugh out loud to it,

despite how many \"lol\"s or \"roflmfao\"s are displayed on the screen. You may smile, you may be amused, but

you don\'t necessarily laugh. It\'s the personal connection that really makes laughter what it is.

So the

next time you ask your attractive friend you\'ve been eyeing forever what they want in a person and they say,

\"sense of humor\", they\'re not BSing you. They don\'t want Martin Lawrence, Jim Carey, or Dana Carvey, they

want someone who they are compatible enough with on an emotional level to share laughs and bond in a way that only

laughter can bring...

DrSmellThis
04-02-2004, 01:12 PM
Great post. I did a master\'s thesis on humor.

Sense of humor means you have a grip, as

life is full of irony as well as wrapped in it. If we learn to enjoy that, we\'ve won.

franki
04-02-2004, 01:18 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
For instance, I can (try to) make

humorous comments on this forum all day, but I can assure you that almost no one sitting alone at their computer at

home/office is going to laugh out loud to it, despite how many \"lol\"s or \"roflmfao\"s are displayed on the

screen.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

I have laughed countless times after reading posts

on internet forums (Love-Scent is one of the less funnier forums I frequent. ) .., but never after reading yours..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

franki
04-02-2004, 01:20 PM
What is even sillier though, is if you are not alone in the room, and you laugh out loud because of a

funny post or joke on an internet forum. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif People always want to

know what you are laughing about, but most of the time they don\'t understand it..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DrSmellThis
04-02-2004, 01:31 PM
You have a great sense of humor, Pancho. I assure you I laugh out loud at a lot of posts on

here, especially some of Tallmacky\'s recently.

Elana
04-02-2004, 01:45 PM
I assure you I laugh out loud at a

lot of posts on here, especially some of Tallmacky\'s recently.

Yes, I am either laughing out loud at Tallmacky\'s posts or feeling physically ill.

Holmes
04-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Great post, Pancho.

Holmes

Pancho1188
04-02-2004, 02:50 PM
That\'s a very good point. Yes, many people do laugh at internet posts, although the

frequency is at a much lower rate. It\'s like watching a comedy by yourself. Sure, you laugh at a few of the

hysterical moments, but if you have a friend next to you, you\'ll laugh a lot more often than when alone. Comedy

Central is a great station, but I noticed that when I went to a comedy club all of the jokes were a lot

funnier.

The \"almost no one\" was a reference to a study conducted with people having a discussion together.

They were able to talk in person as well as on an intranet chatroom consisting of only people in the room. They

found that all jokes were actually posted in the chatroom, yet no one laughed. There were many smiles, but no one

started \"rolling on the floor laughing\"...after the study was completed and they started talking about it,

people started making conversation and then laughs were frequent.

Yes, it is possible to laugh at anything, but

countless studies have been done that people laugh many more times when in the company of other people.

Thank you

for the correction.

Icarus
04-02-2004, 03:40 PM
Nothing\'s funny

Elana
04-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Lizards in teeny, sparkly suits are funny

CptKipling
04-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Correction:

Nothing except someone believing lizards rule the world.

Elana
04-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Correction:

Nothing except someone

believing lizards rule the world.

ruling the world while wearing

teeny, sparkly spandex outfits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Icarus
04-02-2004, 03:52 PM
I\'ll concede those.

But other than that..... not even a chortle.

CptKipling
04-02-2004, 03:58 PM
You got me, that\'s all I had.

franki,

I bet your a real hit on those

\"funnier\" forums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Icarus
04-02-2004, 04:01 PM
they want someone who they are

compatible enough with on an emotional level to share laughs and bond in a way that only laughter can bring...

And make kissy-faces and cooing noises at during the goddamn

movie.

I want to cross a romantic comedy with a low-rate zombie flick.

Holmes
04-02-2004, 04:08 PM
Make it in color. The people love color.

Holmes

Icarus
04-02-2004, 04:09 PM
Damn them.

franki
04-02-2004, 08:54 PM

I bet your a real hit on

those \"funnier\" forums /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

No. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I don\'t even post there..

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif