03-18-2004, 01:54 PM
take a look but not

too seriously
Finally there´s something for girls too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Man\'s 27 faces unmasked
By Peter Griffiths

LONDON

(Reuters) - Women baffled by men may find enlightenment in a book which identifies 27 types of man, from heroic John

Waynes to sexless teddy bears.

Researcher Stephen Whitehead believes all men fit into one of his character

types and hopes women will use the book to learn more about their husbands and boyfriends.

\"Some of the faces

may not seem too attractive,\" Dr Whitehead, senior lecturer at Keele University, told Reuters. \"But a lot of

women like the strength of the Rottweiler, Neanderthal or even the Mr Angry.\"

Whitehead said he was inspired

to write \"The Many Faces of Men\" after he met a strong \"Alpha male\" type who left him wondering what sort of

man he had become. He drew from a 25-year career as an academic, sports coach and pub manager.

Among the types

he identified were the Achilles, a charming but flawed sophisticate named after Homer\'s hero in the \"Iliad\"

and illustrated in the book by former United States President Bill Clinton.

\"Achilles will particularly enjoy

sex in risky situations and places,\" the book says. \"He is a man who could be truly special ... if only he could

overcome his single flaw.\"

The Murdoch, named after the Australian media tycoon Rupert, has self-belief and

always looks towards the next big deal.

The Adonis is handsome but vain, like his namesake in mythology, while

the teddy bear is a good listener without much sex appeal.

He is a world away from the Wayne -- an

old-fashioned, quiet and solid type named after the Wild West movie actor, John.

Sagacious1420
03-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Interesting Concept.

Any ladies care to take the \"Many Faces of Men\"

quiz (\"http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/minisites/manyfacesofmen/\") and see what type of \"face\" your

man has? Might be interesting for the guys to check out too.

I ran across this less than flattering

review:

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Fantasy fellas

Men and women are not

all that different. So who needs The Many Faces of Men, Stephen Whitehead\'s simplistic, cliche-ridden guide to

blokes?

Rachel Cooke
Sunday January 11, 2004
The Observer

The Many Faces of Men: The Definitive Guide to

the Male Species
by Stephen Whitehead
Arrow £6.99, pp242
As a child, I was keen on I Spy books. Of these, my

favourite was I Spy Trees. Oak, ash, sycamore, elder: you ticked them off one by one and then, the volume full of

dates and places, you sent it off to Big Chief I Spy to be stamped and authenticated.

Stephen Whitehead, senior

lecturer in sociology at the University of Keele and author of a new Spotter\'s Guide to Men, appears to fancy

himself as a kind of Big Chief I Spy (although one assumes he sports cords and knitted ties rather than a big,

feathery headdress). Apparently, there are 27 distinct \'types\' of bloke out there in \'the forest of men\'

and, with the help of his book, which is based on the latest academic research, we girls will be able to tell one

kind from another faster than you can say: \'I\'ll have a glass of dry white wine, please.\' Even better,

we\'ll also discover - cue cheesy drum-roll - which sort make the best husbands.

Trying hard to ignore the

sexism inherent in this premise - and from a sociologist, too! - I approached The Many Faces of Men with the same

girlish gusto as I used to attack my I Spy books. Adonis? Tick. Teddy bear? Tick. Neanderthal? Tick, Tick.

Thereafter, however, I found the chaps in question increasingly elusive. I have looked high and low, but I cannot

find a Jeffrey anywhere (Most Likely To Say: \'Not everyone knows this, but Diana and I were very close.\').

Neither have I ever knowingly stumbled on a Zebedee (this is a man who feels impotent and at sea and not, as you

might imagine, one with a red nose and outsized springs on his shoes) or a Wayne (a bandy-legged type who sounds

like he has strolled straight out of a Toffo ad). So much for my being a woman of the world.

The nub of the

problem here is that, for all his much-vaunted work in the field of \'masculinity\', Whitehead, just like John

(Men Are From Mars) Gray before him, has bought into the hoary idea that men and women inhabit different planets and

speak different languages - a conceit he is unable to render intellectually sound, no matter how much he peppers it

with Barthes and Baudrillard. Think of the sexes like this and all you end up with is a bunch of boring stereotypes.

Cliches exhausted, Whitehead is then reduced to scrabbling around for enough feeble chapter headings to plump out

his reedy and exceedingly stagnant thesis. Step forward Jeffrey: \'a man who does not exist except in his own

fevered imaginings\'.

Worse, while Whitehead pays lip service to the modern woman (she\'s a careerist with -

surprise, surprise - predatory instincts) he clearly considers most girls to be a bit daffy when it comes to the

opposite sex. Faced with one of these exotic and confusingly opaque creatures, our minds turn to meringue, our knees

to jelly. Why else would he resort to explaining, ever-so-slowly, that a Jester likes a woman who laughs at his

jokes, or that a man whose mates are \'shag-happy\' should set alarm bells ringing? Most of us worked out this

kind of stuff back when we were still frequenting the school disco.

This is such a futile, reductive way of

looking at human beings and it is one that most females out-grow at roughly the same time as they stop poring over a

battered copy of Women Who Love Too Much and get into Philip Roth instead. Personally, I am inclined to agree with

Ivy Compton-Burnett: there is more difference within the sexes than between them. Yes, some men are commitment-shy,

prone to making jokes during moments of high emotion, and strangely unmoved by the novels of Carol Shields; but so

are some women. Yes, some women are broody, marriage-oriented and likely to cry every time they see Jenny Agutter

reunited with her Daddy in The Railway Children; but so, strange as it may sound, are some men.

When it comes to

relationships, it is best to assume that both sexes want the same things (a little love, comfort and companionship,

plus a few good jokes) and that the rare exceptions who do not only go to prove the rule. Convince yourself that the

situation is otherwise - that weird, unfathomable stuff is going on inside your lover\'s head - and you will end

up bawling at one another in the rude and undignified manner of English tourists asking for directions in a souk.

Every conversation will be open to ceaseless translation; every phone call and email a minefield of misapprehension.

A relationship lived this way is not only exhausting; it is boring, too. And boredom, as surely everyone knows by

now (though not, it would seem, dear Big Chief Whitehead) is the sworn enemy of sex.

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

Sexyredhead
03-18-2004, 08:15 PM
I\'m

not really impressed with the options of the quiz. BUT, since it\'s given me an Achilles, and alpha male, and a

neaderthal, I think it\'s kinda on the money for the guys I was quizzing for, believe it or not.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

apple
03-18-2004, 08:43 PM
alpha male, i

knew it! I told him too :P way before i ever did this quiz... but yeah it needs way more options cause a couple were

off too far

Icarus
03-19-2004, 01:47 AM
Got one of

the girls to do it for me.

Achilles.

(no alpha for Steve)

Sexyredhead
03-19-2004, 05:13 AM
That\'s ok. The one that got Achilles I like much better than the one that got alpha male.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mtnjim
03-19-2004, 03:23 PM
\"Interesting

Concept.

Any ladies care to take the \"Many Faces of Men\" quiz and see what type of \"face\" your man has?

Might be interesting for the guys to check out too.\"

Tried it, got \"not one of the run of the mill types

listed here\" answers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Sexyredhead
03-19-2004, 03:41 PM
\"Interesting Concept.

Any ladies care to take

the \"Many Faces of Men\" quiz and see what type of \"face\" your man has? Might be interesting for the guys to

check out too.\"

Tried it, got \"not one of the run of the mill types listed here\" answers.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

That means

you\'re special. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mtnjim
03-19-2004, 04:07 PM
</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
\"Interesting Concept.

Any ladies care to take the \"Many Faces of

Men\" quiz and see what type of \"face\" your man has? Might be interesting for the guys to check out

too.\"

Tried it, got \"not one of the run of the mill types listed here\" answers.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

That means

you\'re special. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

Oh! That explaines why I was in those \"Special Education\" classes while growing up.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif