PDA

View Full Version : Pretty women make men dumb

bivonic
02-19-2004, 08:23 AM
http://64.4.16.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=0bf1ac7def52b50649f4dd2999636b 0d&lat=1

077205944&hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fchannels%2enets cape%2ecom%2fns%2fmen%2fpackage%2ejsp%3fname%3dfte %2fprettywom

en%2fprettywomen%26floc%3dwn%2dns (\"http://64.4.16.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=0bf1ac7def52b50649f4dd2999636b 0d&lat=1077205944&

hm___action=http%3a%2f%2fchannels%2enetscape%2ecom %2fns%2fmen%2fpackage%2ejsp%3fname%3dfte%2fprettyw omen%2fprettywom

en%26floc%3dwn%2dns\")

Women have known this since the beginning of time. Now psychologists at

McMaster University in Canada have figured it out, too. A beautiful woman can make a guy stupid.

According to New

Scientist, pretty women scramble men\'s ability to assess the future. Scientifically, it\'s known as

\"discounting the future.\" Seen frequently in animals, it means preferring an immediate, lesser reward to a

greater reward in the future.

Here\'s an example: If someone offered to give you $10,000 now or the same amount

five years from now, you would choose to take the money today because there is no value in waiting. But if someone

were to offer you $10,000 today or $50,000 in five years, you would probably opt to wait for the higher amount. This

is called \"rational discounting.\" If you were to take the $10,000 today, it\'s called \"irrational

discounting.\"

The study: McMaster University researchers Margo Wilson and Martin Daly wanted to find out if

sexual mood influenced discounting behavior. They showed 209 male and female students pictures of attractive and

not-so-attractive people of the opposite sex. Each was then offered a chance to win a prize. They could accept a

check for between $15 and $35 tomorrow or one for $50 to $75 at some point in the future.

The results for the

men: After a man viewed pictures of women who were of average attractiveness, they made a rational decision about

the prize money and accepted the larger amount to be received in the future. But when they had just seen pictures of

beautiful women, they discounted the future value of the reward in an irrational way and opted instead for the

immediate and smaller cash outlay. In other words, after seeing a very attractive woman, the men were more likely to

make dumb choices.

The results for the women: Viewing the photographs of men--whether they were sexy hunks or

just run-of-the-mill guys--had no effect on women\'s ability to make rational decisions.

Why the difference?

Wilson and Daly don\'t know, but they suspect that viewing pictures of pretty women is mildly arousing for men. If

that\'s the case, it would activate neural mechanisms associated with cues of sexual opportunity. Tommaso Pizzari,

an evolutionary biologist at Leeds University, offered another possible explanation to New Scientist: \"If

there\'s the prospect of getting a very attractive partner it may pay a man to take more risks than if an average

partner was available.\"

bjf
02-19-2004, 08:26 AM
Maybe this is

why so many powerful men do dumb things and fall from grace

CJ01
02-19-2004, 08:43 AM
that must mean

I´m a real stunner because I´ve run into a lot of irrational `dummies´ ? hehe seriously though I don´t find the

option of 10,000 now too dumb. I mean if you need the money NOW why not go for it? Plus a lot of things can happen

in a 5 year period, like you could be dead or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and

50,000 grants not worth sh*t when you´re six feet under. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif reminds

me of that saying with the bird in your hand...it´s a german saying but there´s an equivalent in english and I can´t

think of it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif but that´s because I just got back from shopping

and saw some hotties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dogsbutt
02-19-2004, 08:50 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
that must mean I´m a real stunner because I´ve run

into a lot of irrational `dummies´ ? hehe seriously though I don´t find the option of 10,000 now too dumb. I mean

if you need the money NOW why not go for it? Plus a lot of things can happen in a 5 year period, like you could be

dead or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif and 50,000 grants not worth sh*t when you´re

six feet under. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif reminds me of that saying with the bird in your

hand...it´s a german saying but there´s an equivalent in english and I can´t think of it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif but that´s because I just got back from shopping and saw some

hotties /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

I\'m with you. Besides, I have the belief that I could take $10,000 now

and make $100,000 out of it in five years. May or may not be true, but I\'d definitely opt for the opportunity.

CJ01
02-19-2004, 09:01 AM
Besides, I have the belief that I could take

$10,000 now and make $100,000 out of it in five years

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> that was my

initial thought too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif 50,000 in 5 years time is worth less than it

is today. and investing 10,000 wisely can prove much more profitable than the 50,000 in the future. Hmmmm, maybe

there´s something wrong with the people who came up with the theory

?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CJ01
02-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Or they spent

too much time ogling through mens mags /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nonscents
02-19-2004, 09:55 AM
The

point of the study is not about the rationality of choosing the higher payment in the future. The point of the study

is that fewer men choose the higher payment in the future after seeing a pretty woman.

The question the study

poses is, \"Why?\" I have a number of hypotheses that might give an answer to the question but I have no idea

whether they are true or not. I agree it is a fascinating, extraordinary study. Thanks for bringing it to our

attention.

OCP
02-19-2004, 10:00 AM
I have the belief that I could take $10,000 now

and make $100,000 out of it in five years. May or may not be true, but I\'d definitely opt for the opportunity.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Me too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CJ01
02-19-2004, 10:01 AM
Yes we get the

actual idea we´re just having fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

franki
02-19-2004, 10:03 AM
IIRC, this

is not the first time Bivonic posted this study...

Sexyredhead
02-19-2004, 10:26 AM
I\'m glad I\'m not the only one with deja vu. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

nonscents
02-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Maybe

he just saw a pretty woman and it made him stupid! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

OCP
02-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Maybe he just saw a pretty woman and it made him

stupid! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ROTFLOL

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

franki
02-19-2004, 10:51 AM
I\'m glad I\'m not the only one with deja vu.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have a

deja-vu feeling with 80% of the threads/posts on here...

CJ01
02-19-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe he just saw a

pretty woman and it made him stupid!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROTFLOL

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> Or forgetful. OMG women are responsible for a mans loss of memory too?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif what´s the world coming too ey

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gossamer_2701
02-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Or forgetful. OMG women are responsible for a mans

loss of memory too?

Hell yeah... there\'s not enough blood for

both brains to function at the same time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CJ01
02-19-2004, 11:56 AM
funny how both

sexes have the same problems sometimes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

pico
02-19-2004, 12:28 PM
i make

pretty women dumb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif can\'t help it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

burgerama1960
02-19-2004, 01:14 PM
I

may get weak in the knees or have to take a deep breath but I never go stupid over a pretty women.

Pancho1188
02-22-2004, 11:41 PM
Even

if you\'re taking HUGE risks such as opening your own business, gambling, or trying a get-rich-quick scheme,

it\'s VERY HARD to turn $10K into $50K in 5 years. The average return on your stock portfolio could be 12% for

the next 5 years and you still wouldn\'t break the $20K mark. That\'s why they\'re saying it\'s dumb to not

take the $50K in 5 years. Unless you desperately need the money at the present time, it\'s more intelligent to

wait...and if you argue with the finance major, I\'m going to break your face.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just kidding. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CJ01
02-23-2004, 01:18 AM
I wanted to

comment on this but being threatened put me off now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

franki
02-23-2004, 02:05 AM
Even if you\'re taking HUGE risks such as opening

your own business, gambling, or trying a get-rich-quick scheme, it\'s VERY HARD to turn $10K into $50K in 5 years.

The average return on your stock portfolio could be 12% for the next 5 years and you still wouldn\'t break the

$20K mark. That\'s why they\'re saying it\'s dumb to not take the $50K in 5 years. Unless you desperately

need the money at the present time, it\'s more intelligent to wait...and if you argue with the finance major,

I\'m going to break your face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just kidding.

BS, there are

plenty of ways to get this kind of returns. You just have to be smart.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CJ01
02-23-2004, 03:20 AM
OH well,

franki said it, but I´m not the one who gets beaten up at least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

franki
02-23-2004, 03:29 AM
OH well, franki said it, but I´m not the one who

gets beaten up at least /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

Don\'t worry, I can handle Pancho.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pancho1188
02-23-2004, 10:54 AM
</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Even if you\'re taking HUGE risks such as opening your own business,

gambling, or trying a get-rich-quick scheme, it\'s VERY HARD to turn $10K into $50K in 5 years. The average

return on your stock portfolio could be 12% for the next 5 years and you still wouldn\'t break the $20K mark.

That\'s why they\'re saying it\'s dumb to not take the $50K in 5 years. Unless you desperately need the money

at the present time, it\'s more intelligent to wait...and if you argue with the finance major, I\'m going to

break your face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just kidding.

BS, there are

I wasn\'t

talking about you pimping yourself out to the highest bidder, Franki...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Pancho1188
02-23-2004, 10:54 AM
</font><blockquote><font

OH well, franki said it, but I´m not the one who gets beaten up at least

Don\'t

worry, I can handle Pancho.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

You can handle me, but you couldn\'t handle BBB...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Pancho1188
02-23-2004, 11:08 AM
</font><blockquote><font

Even if you\'re taking HUGE risks such as opening your own business,

gambling, or trying a get-rich-quick scheme, it\'s VERY HARD to turn $10K into $50K in 5 years. The average

return on your stock portfolio could be 12% for the next 5 years and you still wouldn\'t break the $20K mark.

That\'s why they\'re saying it\'s dumb to not take the $50K in 5 years. Unless you desperately need the money

at the present time, it\'s more intelligent to wait...and if you argue with the finance major, I\'m going to

break your face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Just kidding.

BS, there are

I retract my

statement. If you dropped that $10K on higher education, you will probably end up making an extra $50K of income in

5 years...

However, if you\'re referring to having your money \"work for you\" through investing, unless you

find the next Microsoft, it\'s not going to happen. That doesn\'t require as much smarts as it does

luck.

But since it\'s sooooooooooo easy to do if you\'re smart, I\'ll put it to you this way:

If you

started with one dollar and quintupled it every 5 years, you would have almost $10,000,000 in 50 years. Since

everyone on earth isn\'t retiring a millionaire strictly due to investing $1 50 years ago, I\'ll assume it\'s

a hard thing to do.

CJ01
02-23-2004, 11:28 AM

OH well, franki said it, but I´m

not the one who gets beaten up at least

Don\'t worry, I can

handle Pancho..

You

can handle me, but you couldn\'t handle BBB...

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> I think BBB

would quiete like franki /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif maybe more than you pancho

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

CJ01
02-23-2004, 11:33 AM
I retract my statement. If you dropped that $10K on

higher education, you will probably end up making an extra $50K of income in 5 years...

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\"> that very rarely works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

However, if you\'re referring to having your

money \"work for you\" through investing

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> you work with the money to

make more! Investing can make you that much money (but not if you listen to the people who work at the

bank!!!

That doesn\'t require as much smarts

as it does luck.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> you´re talking about things like stockmarket?

That´s not so much to do with luck as such, not likeplaying lottery.

franki
02-23-2004, 11:50 AM
I think BBB would quiete like franki

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif maybe more than

you pancho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have been hit on by gay men in the past, more than once. I think

it is flattering, but I am not interested in them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CJ01
02-23-2004, 11:56 AM
same here with

women, but most of them weren´t even gay go figure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

DrSmellThis
02-23-2004, 02:40 PM
I\'d

rather be dumb.

jamesdeanmartin
02-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Anyone have a link to the original article?

JB
02-24-2004, 10:20 AM
there is a

quick antidote to being struck dumb by the ladies. take a slow deep breath and say slowly hi my name is... blah blah

blah. The main thing is getting past that moment and all will be fine.

bivonic
02-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Anyone have a link to the original article?

This is just another citing of it, will have to search more to

find the original, looks like it is dating back to December

http://namelessfaceless.blogspot.com/ (\"http://namelessfaceless.blogspot.com/\")

Funny I do

not remember posting this article before, must have been some hot chic I came across

bivonic
02-25-2004, 02:34 PM
pay

dirt

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp

?id=ns99994469 (\"http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994469\")

Pretty women scramble men\'s ability to assess the future

00:01 10 December 03

NewScientist.com news service

Psychologists in Canada have finally proved what women have long suspected -

men really are irrational enough to risk entire kingdoms to catch sight of a beautiful face.

Biologists have

long known that animals prefer immediate rewards to greater ones in the future. This process, known as

\"discounting the future\", is found in humans too and is fundamental to many economic models.

Resources have a

value to individuals that changes through time. For example, immediately available cash is generally worth more than

the same amount would be in the future. But greater amounts of money in the future would be worth waiting for under

so-called \'rational\' discounting.

But some people, such as drug addicts, show \'irrational\'

discounting. For example, preferring a small amount of heroin today rather than a greater amount in the

future.

Margo Wilson and Martin Daly of McMaster University in Hamilton, Canada decided to investigate

discounting behaviour and see if it varied with sexual mood.

Male students, when shown pictures of pretty women,

were more likely to opt for short-term economic gain than wait for a better reward in the future.

Sexual

opportunity

Both male and female students at McMaster University were shown pictures of the opposite sex of

varying attractiveness taken from the website \'Hot or Not\'. The 209 students were then offered the chance to

win a reward. They could either accept a cheque for between $15 and $35 tomorrow or one for $50-$75 at a variable

point in the future.

Wilson and Daly found that male students shown the pictures of averagely attractive women

showed exponential discounting of the future value of the reward. This indicated that they had made a rational

decision. When male students were shown pictures of pretty women, they discounted the future value of the reward in

an \"irrational\" way - they would opt for the smaller amount of money available the next day rather than wait for

a much bigger reward.

Women, by contrast, made equally rational decisions whether they had been shown pictures of

handsome men or those of average attractiveness.

\"We have not elucidated the psychological mechanisms

mediating our results,\" says Margo Wilson. \"But we hypothesise that viewing pictures of pretty women was mildly

arousing, activating neural mechanisms associated with cues of sexual opportunity.\"

Tommaso Pizzari, an

evolutionary biologist at Leeds University, offers another possible explanation: \"If there\'s the prospect of

getting a very attractive partner it may pay a man to take more risks than if an average partner was available.\"

He told New Scientist: \"If this is a response to sexual selection then you would expect men who are less

attractive to take more risks. If you have many attractive potential partners then it does not pay to take risks. If

you are less attractive, with few potential partners, then it pays to take risks.\"

tonicma
10-14-2004, 07:10 PM
I don't think pretty women make

man dumb.
The reason why man make dumb decisions after seen a pretty woman is pretty simple.
Take Phermones for

instance.
A reaction to a "hit" is 30 sec blind staring, with usually accompnay with a blank in the mind, the

inability to think, the loss of train of thought.
This applies to women seeing a hot man, and man seen a hot

women.
So, when you see a hot looking women, man's sexual urges triggers which results in a "blank" in the

mind.
Have you ever talked to your friend about a highly intellectual discussion and when you see a pretty women

walk by, you bacially loose what you were saying or just don't make sense anymore.
Same thing, you just basically

loose your train of thought that is all.
People make it more complicated than it seems.
Another reason could be,

your "creative" side your your brain overwhelms the "rational, mathematical" side of your brain, since I beleive all

of us will right away have fantasies like ,"boy would I want a piece of her", "I wonder how she looks naked"

etc.
All this make a man seem dumb but in fact it's just simply the mind going into a "dreamy" state.