PDA

View Full Version : Annual Academy Award - OSCAR

abductor
02-01-2004, 10:08 AM
I was very

surprised when I saw \" City of God (\"http://movies.go.com/movies/C/cityofgod_2002/index.html#\") \"

nominne to Oscar! well I discovered later that this could happen because that movie is an American production

(Miramax).

The film is very strong, violent and report in faithful way the sad reality of who lives at

\"Favelas/ghetto\" of Rio.
This film touched me because I liveed in Rio per 2 years..I Know that I am \"Middle

class\" in the social pyramid. But I could see many times all this bads of close. Rio is very very pretty city but

the traffic, narcotics and the social inaquality leaves all horrible and because of that I decided to leave Rio.

I had the chance to see the film with English subtitle. We lose a little with the translations .. some slangs only

can be understood if you to know all the context.

Holmes
02-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Why were

you surprised? Great work is great work.

Middle class? In Rio?! HA!

\"Social [and economic] inequality\"

indeed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Holmes

abductor
02-02-2004, 02:55 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Why were you surprised? Great work is great

work.
Middle class? In Rio?! HA!
\"Social [and economic] inequality\" indeed.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Holmes

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">
I know

that is great work, Holmes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. My surprise was... I thought that

Oscar nominne was for foreign film /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif.
Absolutely yes! although Brazil

be a country with enormous social/economic differences. We have people, like me, that not have money to buy a House

in Miame like some brasilians can. But also does not have hunger all day. Exists people who had obtained money to

buy a proper house, car, good job, etc..I call this \"middle class\". When I finished my college of Science of

Computation I was for the Rio. I worked to litter Software Company and in the weekends I helped the community of

Mangueira (Samba School) I gave computer lessons for devoid people because I participate of the Committee for

Democratization of Computer Science (http://www.cdi.org.br/). Every weekend I heard children tell me that

somebody died in a shoot out. What give me anger is to know that the nongovernmental entities make more than the

proper government /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I decided leave Rio. Government wasted much

money. I know because now working for the government. For example I made a report showing that some contract of

services was very expensive but the company that made this contract was a friend of the governor. I did not get a

big kick in my ass because, currently The Law give me stability in my job. Things as this give nausea to me

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Perhaps therefore I come to leave Brazil.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
But let´s talk about Oscar.. What is your predicts?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Holmes
02-04-2004, 02:19 PM
You

worked with Mangueira? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The Return Of The King will probably clean up. Sean Penn

or Bill Murray for Best Actor, though they\'re all good choices. (Would\'ve liked to see William Macy nominated

for The Cooler.)

I hope City wins something. It should for cinematography anyway,

but...

Fernando Meirelles will never beat out Eastwood and Jackson for Best Director, but it\'s cool that he

was nominated!

Other than that, I doubt the show will be as eventful this year--no Michael Moore anywhere in

sight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I\'m also pissed to see that two of my favorites from

last year, Love The Hard Way and Garmento weren\'t nominated for anything.

Holmes