PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice Workout

MadMaxx
12-01-2003, 05:43 AM
Okay, let me say first

off that I am not a workout freak. I NEVER go to the gym, mostly because I don\'t have time. I just work out my

upper body a bit at home with some dumbells. I am relatively clueless about working out. Want I want to know is how

many different types of repetions are there that I can do to work out my upper body, with nothing but a pair of

dumbells.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ToBeOrNotToBe
12-01-2003, 05:53 AM
Go to

www.bodybuilding.com. (\"http://www.bodybuilding.com.\")
I think you\'ll get what you want there. You

just have to search.

Kari
12-01-2003, 06:26 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Go to

www.bodybuilding.com. (\"http://www.bodybuilding.com.\")
I think you\'ll get what you want there. You

just have to search.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

You can also get good deals on food

suppliments, at that site.

Holmes
12-01-2003, 08:51 AM
www.abcbodybuilding.com (\"http://www.abcbodybuilding.com\")

Holmes

Sacogoo
12-01-2003, 11:33 AM
MadMaxx writes:

Want I want to know is how many different types of

repetions are there that I can do to work out my upper body, with nothing but a pair of dumbells.

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Pushups - Vary the width of you hands. Close in for working the inner

chest and triceps. Wide for broadening the chest. Make sure form is killer, and pause on the bottom.

Pullups

- Again vary width of hands. Wide for broadening, close for thickness. Reverse grip wide for a little variation.

Combination of grips in close for biceps and forearms. Make sure form is perfect for best results.

You can build

a killer bod with just pushups and pullups. Also add in some wind sprints for your lower body and chiseling of the

upper body.

Unless you are looking for a lot of mass and power, a gym or weights are completely unnecessary to

build a great body.

CptKipling
12-01-2003, 11:38 AM
And take zinc,

drink lots of water with a good diet, and get lots of sleep.

Holmes
12-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Sacogoo,

I\'m

glad someone brought this up! So push-ups and chins have made a real difference for you (visibly)?

How many

sets/reps of each?

I\'m asking because I won\'t be able to use weights (for the upper body) for a long time,

so this is the route I\'ll be taking.

Holmes

Icarus
12-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Pushups - Vary the width of you hands. Close in for

working the inner chest and triceps. Wide for broadening the chest. Make sure form is killer, and pause on the

bottom.

Pullups - Again vary width of hands. Wide for broadening, close for thickness. Reverse grip wide for a

little variation. Combination of grips in close for biceps and forearms. Make sure form is perfect for best

results.

You can build a killer bod with just pushups and pullups. Also add in some wind sprints for your lower

body and chiseling of the upper body.

Unless you are looking for a lot of mass and power, a gym or weights are

completely unnecessary to build a great body.

Mr Goo is right

in a lot or respects... but there\'s always a but (right?)

Unfortunately, although compound excercises,

press-ups and chins will by no means give you a full upper-body workout.

You will certainly get in better shape,

but slightly more is required.

If the gym is strictly off limits, you may consider augmenting the above

excercises with these additional ones:

Korean Press-Up

These are pretty harsh: the easiest method

being to handstand against a wall, and raise and lower the body in this upside-down position.. practice your

balance then try them freestanding. Grisly. These will work your shoulder muscles that are notoriously neglected

or damaged through extended and strenuous normal press-up routines

Chair Dips

Pretty simple: get a

couple of chairs at a suitable distance apart and performs dips between them. Elbows pointing out at the side for

lower pectoral definition and pointing backwards for tricep work. This will help attack the tricep (a three headed

muscle) from an angle slightly different to that of a standard pressup.

Lower Back

Assuming that our

dudes are performing some standard crunches to improve definition to abdominal muscles (that to be seen, fat must be

removed from. That\'s another thread entirely) we must also remember to perform some back raises, otherwise we

run the risk of overcontracting the abdominal muscles while allowing the lower back muscles to atrophy mildly..

(this results in hollow backs and protruding abdomins... think gorilla!...bad).

If anyone needs any more stuff

like this, PM me, as I\'ve got hundreds of \"home\" workouts that I\'ve had to perform in hotels and boats

etc.. when I\'ve had no other option. The gym is still the way to go though. (IMHO!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Cheers

Steve

Icarus
12-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Ooh.. and

nutrition is important too.

Steeve

CptKipling
12-01-2003, 12:30 PM
I do chair

dips, and doing press ups on your knuckles is a milder alternative.

Combining chair dips and the Korean press up

(never knew it was called that!) is a good one aswell.

Leg raises are essential if you are doing crunches, they

define the lower abdomen.

To work biceps specifically, just fill a strong bad (back-pack, whatever) with heavy

stuff and lift /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif try to keep good form. You can do squats using the

same method.

You should also remember that if you are working one particular muscle set, opposing and

neighbouring muslces will increase in size aswell, but too a lesser extent.

Holmes
12-01-2003, 12:34 PM
With regard to

weight training, I used to find supersetting opposing muscle groups to be really effective.

Holmes

Icarus
12-01-2003, 12:38 PM
Oooh! And

Cat-Dips!! You start in an arched position, feet and hands a comfortable distance apart, then sink through, arching

your back as you go (like a cat stretching).. it\'s like a grinding circular press-up.

They\'re fun!

Steve

CptKipling
12-01-2003, 01:26 PM
When I said I

combined chair dips and Korean press ups, I dont actually use chairs, I\'m always worries that they will move and

I will fall flat on my face. Just use anything that lifts your hands off the ground but still lets you

dip.

Steve,

I will try those cat-dips!

MadMaxx
12-02-2003, 02:51 AM
Thanks for the

tons of info everyone. Between what was written and the recommended sites, it will take me a while to deal with and

try it all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MadMaxx
12-02-2003, 02:59 AM
Thanks for the tons of info everyone. Between what

was written and the recommended sites, it will take me a while to deal with and try it all.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I forgot a

specific question. For as long as I can remember I have had rather large(in my opinion) pecs? breasts? Regardless of

whether I am bit on the heavy side, or whether I am in a period where I have really slimmed down, like now, they

always look quite large. I suspect it may be genetic, since my father has the same type of upper body; wide

shoulders, fairly good upper arms, thick chest and noticeable pecs/breasts. I use those two terms because I

seriously don\'t know whether they are mostly muscle, mostly fatty tissue or whether they are mammary glands! They

can be jiggles around qyite a bit. Anyway, one thing I definitely want to do is get them really hardened up so they

look like a serious set of pecs rather A-cup breasts. Hell, I live over in Japan and my \"breasts\" are bigger

than the breasts of a lot of the women I know here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

CptKipling
12-02-2003, 11:05 AM
If they are

muscle they won\'t jiggle if you tense them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Holmes
12-02-2003, 11:07 AM
And if they\'re

Ballpark they\'ll plump when ya cook \'em.

Holmes

Kari
12-02-2003, 12:05 PM
Oooh! And Cat-Dips!! You start in an arched

position, feet and hands a comfortable distance apart, then sink through, arching your back as you go (like a cat

stretching).. it\'s like a grinding circular press-up.

They\'re fun!

Steve

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

Incline bench press (I can only bench press about 20#) with some nice male eye candy spotting.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pancho1188
12-02-2003, 12:09 PM
If you have

strong, sturdy dumbells (as opposed to the small 5-pounders), use them when doing your pushups. In other words, use

the handles for grips and place them in the position you\'d normally put your hands doing pushups. This way, your

chest can go further down than to your hands for that extra range of motion. Believe me, it DOES make a difference!

Holmes
12-02-2003, 12:16 PM
That\'s a great

idea! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Holmes

Kari
12-02-2003, 12:51 PM
If you have strong, sturdy dumbells (as opposed to

the small 5-pounders), use them when doing your pushups. In other words, use the handles for grips and place them

in the position you\'d normally put your hands doing pushups. This way, your chest can go further down than to

your hands for that extra range of motion. Believe me, it DOES make a difference!

I LOVE nice

pecs! Anybody here have nice pecs?

Mtnjim
12-02-2003, 01:23 PM
\"I LOVE nice

pecs! Anybody here have nice pecs?\"

Yup!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kari
12-02-2003, 01:35 PM
\"I LOVE nice pecs! Anybody here have nice

pecs?\"

Yup!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

Will you marry me? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mtnjim
12-02-2003, 01:40 PM
\"Will you marry

me?\"

I\'ll need a test drive first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Holmes
12-02-2003, 01:41 PM
Jim,

So did you

make final cut for Real World San Diego??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Holmes

MysteriousMan
12-02-2003, 01:52 PM
Okay, let me say first off that I am not a workout

freak. I NEVER go to the gym, mostly because I don\'t have time. I just work out my upper body a bit at home with

some dumbells. I am relatively clueless about working out. Want I want to know is how many different types of

repetions are there that I can do to work out my upper body, with nothing but a pair of dumbells.

Any

suggestions would be appreciated.

Don\'t do it at all or

take the time to work with a good trainer.

Usually I\'m doing aerobics, step aerobics, salsa aerobics,

funky aerobics and so on. This is fun for me. I always did a few repetitions, not much. I always had some trainers

who told me how to do it in a way that won\'t harm me. This has been fairly good.

I lately had to pause 3

months with aerobics, so I took the time to do some repetitions... By accident I found a trainer who *really* knows

what he is talking about and does it with passion. I don\'t take much time: 1-2 times a week, one hour. But I do

it regularly, without missing a week (this is important!).
I\'ve been really surprised what a really good

program can do: I get better almost each time with almost each type of exercise.

I can\'t tell you how to

find such a good trainer. But take at least one who corrects your mistakes.

Best regards,
MysteriousMan

Kari
12-02-2003, 02:16 PM
\"Will you marry me?\"

I\'ll need a test

drive first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You like a nice

chassis? Low mileage, or great handlability? How about torque coming into the curves?

Mtnjim
12-02-2003, 02:29 PM
\"So did you make

final cut for Real World San Diego???\"

NAH!, they don\'t want someone my age!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

(Even though I sometimes get mistaken for being in my late

30\'s) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mtnjim
12-02-2003, 02:31 PM
</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
\"Will you marry me?\"

I\'ll need a test drive first!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You like a nice

chassis? Low mileage, or great handlability? How about torque coming into the curves?

I\'d have

to make sure, wouldn\'t like to find out it was false advertising too late!

Pancho1188
12-02-2003, 02:58 PM
</font><blockquote><font

If you have strong, sturdy dumbells (as opposed to the small 5-pounders), use

them when doing your pushups. In other words, use the handles for grips and place them in the position you\'d

normally put your hands doing pushups. This way, your chest can go further down than to your hands for that extra

range of motion. Believe me, it DOES make a difference! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<hr

I LOVE nice pecs! Anybody here have nice pecs?

<hr

Well, I won\'t say one way or the other. The pictures from my website

or in my Pancho In Heat III link speak for themselves. If you like what you see, I am now accepting applications...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sacogoo
12-03-2003, 12:01 AM
Holmes writes:

I\'m glad someone brought this up! So push-ups

and chins have made a real difference for you (visibly)?

My body

has always responded very positively to body weight exercises such as pushups, dips, pullups, etc. Strict form,

pause reps, varying hand positions and the like is the key to really build muscle mass and definition. Usually, I

will alternate a three month gym cycle with a six month body weight excercise cycle just to make sure that I

maintain some strength and mass levels.

My body weight workout regime consists of the following:

Monday &amp;

Thursday - Chest/Bicep
Morning:
10 sets x 25 reps of pushups (4 sets of parallel grip, standard width for deeper,

more concentrated focus; 3 sets of wide; 3 sets of close).
10 sets x 8 reps of close reverse (palms facing body)

grip pullups

Evening:
10 sets x 10 reps of chest dips (back hunched/arched, knees raised and forward, elbows

out, chin on chest)
10 sets x 6 reps of close grip pullups (forearms/biceps)

Tuesday &amp; Friday -

Back/Tricep
Morning:
10 sets x 10 reps of wide grip pullups (palms facing away and pull chest into bar with a arch

in back - focus on keeping elbows out and pulling into the chest with the lats doing the work)
10 sets x 10 reps

of front tricep dip (standard straight up dip form - chin up, back straight, elbows in by your

sides)

Evening:
10 sets x 6 reps of rear/behind neck pullups (elbows out, and focus on pinching the traps

together at the top)
10 sets x 12 reps of bench dips (feet and hands on dining room chairs with hands behind

body)

1 set every 3 minutes - supersetting the chest/back and bicep/tricep exercise (bicep exercise immediately

following chest exercise)

Wednesday &amp; Saturday - Legs
10 sets of 40 yard sprints. 25 seconds between sets.

Vomit immediately afterwards, if not before.

Icarus writes:
</font><blockquote><font

Korean Press-Up

These are pretty harsh: the easiest method being to

handstand against a wall, and raise and lower the body in this upside-down position.. practice your balance then try

them freestanding. Grisly. These will work your shoulder muscles that are notoriously neglected or damaged through

extended and strenuous normal press-up routines

Freestanding

wall pushups? Are you a gymnast or just a complete stud monkey? Used to do these regularly until my body weight

went over 210 and I hit my early 30\'s (wall, not freestanding). Most people won\'t be able to do these

correctly, and your delts should ample attention during the pushups and dips exercises.

</font><blockquote><font

Lower Back

Assuming that our dudes are performing some standard crunches

to improve definition to abdominal muscles (that to be seen, fat must be removed from. That\'s another thread

entirely) we must also remember to perform some back raises, otherwise we run the risk of overcontracting the

abdominal muscles while allowing the lower back muscles to atrophy mildly

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

Good mornings are excellent for the lower back, but I do a 20 minute pilate routine in the

morning which works the whole \"core\" muscle group (abs, obliques, lower back, etc.) pretty good.

Now

listening to: Just finished Jimmy Buffett\'s \"Songs You Know By Heart\" and moving on to Rickie Lee Jones\'

\"It\'s Like This\"

Sacogoo
12-03-2003, 12:09 AM
Kari writes:

Incline bench press (I can only bench press about

20#) with some nice male eye candy spotting.

And there is the

bonus about working out at home or without weights at the gym. You don\'t have to worry about slapping on three

plates a side on the bench, and having some slob\'s nutsack dangling in your face as he spots you.

Sacogoo
12-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Kari writes:

I LOVE nice pecs! Anybody here have nice pecs?

I\'ve got this kick ass set of pecs. My chest is kinda sunken,

or maybe it\'s that I\'ve got this overly protruding sternum. Anyway, my chest consists of a small patch of

maybe 20 medium longish hairs in the lower middle. Each pec is kinda saggy - almost in a pubescent fat chick type

of way, and is tipped with a large, very dark man nipple. How\'s that for nice pecs? Getchya hot?

Icarus
12-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Freestanding wall pushups? Are you a gymnast or

just a complete stud monkey? Used to do these regularly until my body weight went over 210 and I hit my early

30\'s (wall, not freestanding). Most people won\'t be able to do these correctly, and your delts should ample

attention during the pushups and dips exercises.

I only

recommended these, cuz I was pretty religious with my press-ups for a while and I almost knacked my shoulders for

good. Depending on your basic bone structure etc.. it can be detrimental. While I\'ll always favor gym workouts

(as I was Captain Skinny McSkinny until I worked out how to gain muscle (then I was able to get much more

work, as I could have a picture of me with my shirt off and not looking like a skinned rabbit in my folio)) since

it\'s quite natural for the human body to utilise the muscle tissue first rather than build muscle or burn fat - a

mostly bodyweight routine (the one you have listed is pretty spot on..good show) would yield best results for

someone who had a sufficiently muscular frame to start with or was simply trying to improve their general

fitness.

I\'ve got this kick ass set of pecs.

My chest is kinda sunken, or maybe it\'s that I\'ve got this overly protruding sternum. Anyway, my chest

consists of a small patch of maybe 20 medium longish hairs in the lower middle. Each pec is kinda saggy - almost in

a pubescent fat chick type of way, and is tipped with a large, very dark man nipple. How\'s that for nice pecs?

Getchya hot?

It\'s a beauty.

Cheers

Steve

Kari
12-03-2003, 12:51 PM
</font><blockquote><font

Freestanding wall pushups? Are you a gymnast or just a complete stud monkey?

Used to do these regularly until my body weight went over 210 and I hit my early 30\'s (wall, not freestanding).

Most people won\'t be able to do these correctly, and your delts should ample attention during the pushups and

dips exercises.

I only recommended these, cuz I was pretty

religious with my press-ups for a while and I almost knacked my shoulders for good. Depending on your basic bone

structure etc.. it can be detrimental. While I\'ll always favor gym workouts (as I was Captain Skinny

McSkinny until I worked out how to gain muscle (then I was able to get much more work, as I could have a picture of

me with my shirt off and not looking like a skinned rabbit in my folio)) since it\'s quite natural for the human

body to utilise the muscle tissue first rather than build muscle or burn fat - a mostly bodyweight routine (the one

you have listed is pretty spot on..good show) would yield best results for someone who had a sufficiently muscular

frame to start with or was simply trying to improve their general fitness.

</font><blockquote><font

I\'ve got this kick ass set of pecs. My chest is kinda sunken, or maybe

it\'s that I\'ve got this overly protruding sternum. Anyway, my chest consists of a small patch of maybe 20

medium longish hairs in the lower middle. Each pec is kinda saggy - almost in a pubescent fat chick type of way, and

is tipped with a large, very dark man nipple. How\'s that for nice pecs? Getchya hot?

<hr

It\'s a beauty.

Cheers

I agree. I am an ex-dancer. But, I\'ve meade better

gains in strength and definition at the gym. AND, watching those weight stacks have to be moved up is satisfying.

AND, there\'s some nice eye candy for girls and boys.

Steve

Kari
12-03-2003, 12:52 PM
</font><blockquote><font

\"Will you

marry me?\"

I\'ll need a test drive first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

<hr

You like a nice chassis? Low mileage, or great handlability? How about

torque coming into the curves?

<hr

I\'d have to make sure, wouldn\'t like to find out it was false

advertising too late! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

How about

aerodynamic lines? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mtnjim
12-03-2003, 01:53 PM
</font><blockquote><font

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr

/>
\"Will you marry me?\"

I\'ll need a test

drive first! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You like a nice

I\'d have

<hr

How about aerodynamic lines?

Gotta love the

aerodynamic lines, but gotta make sure there are no alignment problems or the odometer hasn\'t been turned back.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And the torque

coming into the curves? want to make sure she holds the road for a smooth ride.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Kari
12-03-2003, 01:57 PM
</font><blockquote><font

</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr

/>
</font><blockquote><font

\"Will you marry me?\"

I\'ll need a test drive first!

You like a nice

I\'d have

<hr

How about aerodynamic lines?

Gotta love the

aerodynamic lines, but gotta make sure there are no alignment problems or the odometer hasn\'t been turned back.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And the torque

coming into the curves? want to make sure she holds the road for a smooth ride.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I think it

partly depends on your skill at steering, accelerating, and braking, at appropriate moments.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gifAn excellent driver has a good touch with the controls. He can make

than engine PURRRRRR!

CptKipling
12-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Give him the

keys already!

Icarus
12-04-2003, 03:09 PM
But he\'s been

drinking.

Holmes
12-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Remember

&lt;burp&gt;, friends don\'t let friends drive.

Holmes

Pancho1188
12-04-2003, 11:27 PM
Don\'t drink

and drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CptKipling
12-05-2003, 09:35 AM
It has been

shown to effect responsiveness and control

Sacogoo
12-06-2003, 07:56 AM
Don\'t drink and drive.

<hr

It has

been shown to effect responsiveness and control

Yeah, but I like

to knock a few back and get a little reckless and out of control. Hell, I\'ll drink and drive anything in sight

as long as I can get my keys in the ignition. A black Ferrari, a yellow Porsche, a red Aston Martin, a white

Lamborghini. It doesn\'t matter. Hell, I\'ll fire up a rusted, grey dumptruck and go careening down the street

if the opportunity presents itself. Drive drunk? Damn straight. I\'ll hop in that chassis, and drive it to

Dallas and back on two wheels!

franki
12-06-2003, 07:58 AM
</font><blockquote><font

Don\'t drink and drive.

It has been shown to effect responsiveness and

control

Yeah, but I like to knock a few back and get a little

reckless and out of control. Hell, I\'ll drink and drive anything in sight as long as I can get my keys in the

ignition. A black Ferrari, a yellow Porsche, a red Aston Martin, a white Lamborghini. It doesn\'t matter. Hell,

I\'ll fire up a rusted, grey dumptruck and go careening down the street if the opportunity presents itself. Drive

drunk? Damn straight. I\'ll hop in that chassis, and drive it to Dallas and back on two wheels!

<hr

CptKipling
12-06-2003, 08:00 AM
Alrighty

Pancho1188
12-06-2003, 10:56 AM
</font><blockquote><font

Don\'t drink and drive.

It has been shown to effect responsiveness and

control

Yeah, but I like to knock a few back and get a little

reckless and out of control. Hell, I\'ll drink and drive anything in sight as long as I can get my keys in the

ignition. A black Ferrari, a yellow Porsche, a red Aston Martin, a white Lamborghini. It doesn\'t matter. Hell,

I\'ll fire up a rusted, grey dumptruck and go careening down the street if the opportunity presents itself. Drive

drunk? Damn straight. I\'ll hop in that chassis, and drive it to Dallas and back on two wheels!

<hr

These sexual innuendos are getting out of hand...

Then again, I guess

it\'s better than saying, \"I\'ll sleep with beautiful women while drunk, but I\'ll even take the occasional

not-so-good-looking one if the opportunity presents itself.\"

To each his own...