View Full Version : Some people really need help

belgareth
11-26-2003, 05:35 AM
L.A. Wants

to End \'Master\' and \'Slave\' Equipment
27 minutes ago

By Dan Whitcomb

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) -

Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms \"master\" and

\"slave\" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which

has some suppliers furious and others busy re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a

videotape machine carrying devices labeled \"master\" and \"slave\" and filed a discrimination complaint with

the county\'s Office of Affirmative Action Compliance.

In the computer industry, \"master\" and

\"slave\" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other

industries.

\"Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an

acceptable identification label,\" Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a

memo sent to County vendors.

\"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review,

identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as

discriminatory or offensive in nature,\" Sandoval said in the memo, which was distributed last week and made

available to Reuters.

The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels.

Dennis Tafoya,

director of the affirmative action office, said in a separate memo that an \"exhaustive search\" had been

undertaken to find all such labels and replace them with more \"appropriate\" ones. A form was sent to all

departments to identify equipment carrying the labels \"master\" and \"slave\" or any other offensive terms.

Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval told Reuters in an

interview that his memo was intended as \"nothing more than a request\" and not an ultimatum or policy change.

\"I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more

than a plea to vendors to see what they can do,\" he said. \"It appears that some folks have taken this a little

too literally.\"

Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop buying all

equipment carrying the \"master\" and \"slave\" labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on such terms

with suppliers.

\"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees,\" he said. \"We have to

take these things seriously.\"

Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he\'s received \"telling me

how stupid I am and how I should be fired\" he has gotten a positive response from some companies willing to

reexamine their labels.

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any

companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century. In

2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.

Sexyredhead
11-26-2003, 06:15 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I can\'t

believe they\'re serious about this.

Kari
11-26-2003, 06:41 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
L.A. Wants to End \'Master\' and \'Slave\'

Equipment
27 minutes ago

By Dan Whitcomb

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Los Angeles officials have asked that

manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms \"master\" and \"slave\" on computer equipment,

saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which has some suppliers furious and

others busy re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a videotape machine carrying devices

labeled \"master\" and \"slave\" and filed a discrimination complaint with the county\'s Office of Affirmative

Action Compliance.

In the computer industry, \"master\" and \"slave\" are used to refer to primary and

secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.

\"Based on the cultural diversity

and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label,\" Joe Sandoval, division

manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.

\"We would request that

each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of

equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature,\" Sandoval said in the

memo, which was distributed last week and made available to Reuters.

The memo did not include any suggestions

for alternative labels.

Dennis Tafoya, director of the affirmative action office, said in a separate memo that

an \"exhaustive search\" had been undertaken to find all such labels and replace them with more \"appropriate\"

ones. A form was sent to all departments to identify equipment carrying the labels \"master\" and \"slave\" or

any other offensive terms.

Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval

told Reuters in an interview that his memo was intended as \"nothing more than a request\" and not an ultimatum or

policy change.

\"I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is

nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do,\" he said. \"It appears that some folks have taken

this a little too literally.\"

Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop

buying all equipment carrying the \"master\" and \"slave\" labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on

such terms with suppliers.

\"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees,\" he said. \"We

have to take these things seriously.\"

Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he\'s received

\"telling me how stupid I am and how I should be fired\" he has gotten a positive response from some companies

willing to reexamine their labels.

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring

that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th

Century. In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Comes under the heading of... \"get a life.\"

belgareth
11-26-2003, 07:29 AM
A

couple years back some group was trying to change the male/female designation for wire connectors. They felt it was

obscene. Just as silly!

I think some people have way too much free time.

Holmes
11-26-2003, 07:35 AM
Ridiculous. That story\'s not from The Onion, is it?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Holmes

belgareth
11-26-2003, 07:36 AM
Ridiculous. That story\'s not from The Onion, is

it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Holmes

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

No, It came over Rueters wire services.

nonscents
11-26-2003, 08:04 AM
A couple years back some group was trying to change

the male/female designation for wire connectors. They felt it was obscene. Just as silly!

I think some people

have way too much free time

How about:
penetrated and

penetrator.

Or better yet, \"Hey Hank! I need some more of that penis Velcro over here, I only have vagina

Velcro right now.\"

Kari
11-26-2003, 08:56 AM
</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
A couple years back some group was trying to change the male/female

designation for wire connectors. They felt it was obscene. Just as silly!

I think some people have way too much

free time

How about:
penetrated and penetrator.

Or better

yet, \"Hey Hank! I need some more of that penis Velcro over here, I only have vagina Velcro right now.\"

Actually... I always thought that one side of the velcro looks a

lot like pubic hair.

EXIT63
11-26-2003, 04:39 PM
Actually... I always thought that one side of the

velcro looks a lot like pubic hair.

Which side?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif