PDA

View Full Version : Forum suggestion

bjf
11-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Why do you have to be

registered to post?

So many who read the forum don\'t seem to be registered, and I bet it is because they

don\'t want to deal with the hastle or do not want to give out there email address or be able to be traced to a

pheromone site (privacy).

It would be nice if all the people using the products could just drop their opinions on

the products without a process of registering, getting approved, verifying, etc.

Mtnjim
11-19-2003, 03:36 PM
\"Why do you have to

be registered to post?\"

Among other things cuts down on the Forums becoming \"Spam-\'O-Rama\"!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icarus
11-19-2003, 03:36 PM
Yeh.. trolling and

such...

bjf
11-19-2003, 03:38 PM
Oh the spam thing. I

didn\'t know they get like that.

Bruce
11-19-2003, 04:25 PM
We used to have a lot

of trouble with spam ads of all kinds before registration was instituted. Hit and run bozos are also a

problem.

Bruce

CptKipling
11-20-2003, 09:30 AM
...a nightmare in

fact.

bjf
11-20-2003, 07:05 PM
Is that why Donald Duck

went away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bruce
11-20-2003, 09:56 PM
DD never went away. He

metamorphosed.

B

Watcher
11-22-2003, 12:32 PM
BJF i will say this

once only i am the old DD aka morphed off into watcher and here i am lol.
Seriously though registration prevens
a)

spamming
b) cuts down those that are nuisence
c) annoying types
d) more spammers

I think bruce was

considering only taking customers on board to to further restrict it to those buying the products.

bjf
11-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Watcher, I know you were

DD, it was a joke.

It would be a shame if it was just customers, though it seems that those are the only ones who

post (except for those asking for advice on their first purchse).

Watcher
11-23-2003, 05:46 PM
Well having just

those pheromone buyers and those asking about purchases is probably a good idea, as the forum sticks to its primary

focus whcih is things pheromones. Keeping the focused discussion keeps things on track and allows much more

effective focus and discussion.

koolking1
12-08-2003, 02:55 PM
these are the best

forums going so why \"fix\" what isn\'t broke. I hate spam as much as junk mail (which I just walked 1/2 a mile

for (I live in the sticks and the mailbox is up on the main road)).

Watcher
12-18-2003, 02:03 AM
You know ive found

that a few open source email programs block abut 98% of all my spam - allows me to block spammer addresses and is

great. I might get 2 messages of spam a day.

belgareth
12-18-2003, 03:41 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
You know ive found that a few open source email

programs block abut 98% of all my spam - allows me to block spammer addresses and is great. I might get 2 messages

of spam a day.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Which ones? I am using Outlook 2003 and it does a

great job but other good ones would be worth looking into.

Bruce
12-18-2003, 07:07 AM
I use Mail 1.3 that

comes with Mac OS 10.4. It\'s pretty amazing. When you get spam, instead of just deleting it you hit the

\"junk\" button and the application learns what is junk and what is good. At the end of the day I go thru the

junk-mail bin and double check, but I rarely find anything good in there. If you do, you hit the \"not junk\"

button and the appl. learns about that source. It take a little vigilance for a short while, but pretty soon you

are getting all your newsletters and none of the junk.

Bruce

belgareth
12-18-2003, 07:10 AM
Outlook 2003 does

about the same thing. The program recognizes most junk immediately but requires a little training.

Kari
12-18-2003, 07:48 AM
I use Mail 1.3 that comes with Mac OS 10.4.

It\'s pretty amazing. When you get spam, instead of just deleting it you hit the \"junk\" button and the

application learns what is junk and what is good. At the end of the day I go thru the junk-mail bin and double

check, but I rarely find anything good in there. If you do, you hit the \"not junk\" button and the appl. learns

about that source. It take a little vigilance for a short while, but pretty soon you are getting all your

newsletters and none of the junk.

Bruce

I have that on Mac OS

10.2. I love it! I learns which messages are spam. I also have Spam Blocker on Earthlink. It takes out the \"known

spam\"-- about 75 messages per day.

BTW-- I know 10.3 was \"panther.\" What is 10.4 called? I didn\'t even

know OS X was up that high, yet.

Bruce
12-18-2003, 08:10 AM
I think 10.4 is

Panther. 10.3 was Jaguar wasn\'t it?

B

Kari
12-18-2003, 08:35 AM
I think 10.4 is Panther. 10.3 was Jaguar wasn\'t

it?

B

I just looked it all up on Google. 10.2 is Jaguar, 10.3

is Panther. Looks like yours is Leopard.

I really DO like OS X. Gotta get me OS 9.2, though, so I can run

Classic. I have all this 9x software.

When I got Earthlink. DLS, their software set up an extension conflict

with Open Transport in OS 9x that was SO severe, that I couldn\'t boot. Since OS X doesn\'t use Open Transport--

problem solved. I DID take a big bite out of Earthlink, though.

BTW-- Since I got DSL, I found out that somebody

has been trying to send me viruses, almost every day. My mail gets scrubbed at the server, and viruses get reported

to me. Hello? Macs don\'t get PC viruses.

Mtnjim
12-18-2003, 10:59 AM
\"BTW-- Since I got

DSL, I found out that somebody has been trying to send me viruses, almost every day. My mail gets scrubbed at the

server, and viruses get reported to me. Hello? Macs don\'t get PC viruses.\"

True, but keep an eye out for

FreeBSD (unix) vulnerabilities, because FreeBSD is the core of OS-X.

Kari
12-18-2003, 11:03 AM
\"BTW-- Since I got DSL, I found out that somebody

has been trying to send me viruses, almost every day. My mail gets scrubbed at the server, and viruses get reported

to me. Hello? Macs don\'t get PC viruses.\"

True, but keep an eye out for FreeBSD (unix) vulnerabilities,

because FreeBSD is the core of OS-X.

Oh, Gods! You\'re right!

Mtnjim
12-18-2003, 11:26 AM
And...I\'ve been

seeing more and more reports of OS-X vulnerabilities. So stay up on the Software Updates! The Macintosh used to be

secure through obscurity, but now that it is using a more mainstream OS, it is more of a target. The odd thing is

that years ago, I had to deal with lots of Macintosh viruses but hardly any PC ones (in the SE-30 days).

Bruce
12-18-2003, 12:07 PM
Kari,

I goofed. I

have 10.3.1, which is Panther. I think that is the latest version. I bought it in a box and updated my 2 yo. flat

panel iMac. It came with 10.1. Then last Spring I got a referb ibook with 10.2 (Jaguar), which worked great; never

a problem. The 10.3 I have needs an upgrade. It solved some major problems but introduced some annoying bugs.

B

Mtnjim
12-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Speaking of bugs.

Apple released another update/patch late Wed. evening. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

MysteriousMan
12-18-2003, 02:07 PM
... and

I\'d like to use iChat + iSight to order instead of the phone :-)

MysteriousMan

Bruce
12-18-2003, 02:22 PM
I just checked in with

Apple. They now have the 10.3.2 upgrade available, which I just installed. Too soon to say if it helps. Various

applications (mostly games) were crashing and every now and then I would get this weird icon dragging problem.

B

abductor
12-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Fyodor\'s

Interview about spam!

What\'s your

position on Spam? What do you think of the hackers actions against it?

Spam is obviously an enormous problem

on the Internet today. I receive several hundred per day (not counting worms or braindead AOLers)! The hackers

contributing the most to this anti-spam war are the ones working on free anti-spam solutions such as

SpamAssassin (\"http://www.spamassassin.org/\"). It has done wonders for protecting my mailbox! I also

recently contributed money to the SpamCon Foundation (\"http://www.spamcon.org/\"), who are successfully

battling spammers in the courts. I generally don\'t recommend illegal attacks against the spammers. After all,

DDoS floods and the like can harm innocent parties in between. That being said, I do try to waste spammer resources

on occasion. I call their toll-free numbers (for which they are charged by the minute as well as employee wages),

and I also report egregious spam to their service providers. Often I get no response, but the occasional success

make it all worthwhile. For example, here (\"http://www.insecure.org/tmp/british-spammer.wav\") here is

a hilarious recorded message left by a spammer whom I reported. He is obviously furious, yet his courteous British

upbringing forces him to thank me several times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Another time I

complained to a company that spammed me, their sysadmin sent me a private response saying that he uses Nmap daily.

He then gave me the email address and phone number of the marketing \"genius\" who came up with the spamming

strategy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. One other company was ignoring my complaints about their

users spamming me, until I successfully guessed their CEO\'s email address. A later email from them included the

email chain from the CEO, to the director of IS, all the way down the line to the so-called abuse department.

Suddenly they were much more responsive!