PDA

View Full Version : TiVo or DVD-R?

Holmes
11-17-2003, 10:04 AM
I\'ve had it with these

relics they call VCRs and am looking to zoom out of the 80s into...last month, maybe (technologically-speaking, of

course).

I own an S-VHS but it\'s impractical as hell. Tapes way too expensive and impossible to find

anyway.

So...does anyone have a TiVo or DVD recorder or at least know anything about them (which is a better bet,

etc)? Recommendations?

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Holmes

bjf
11-17-2003, 10:21 AM
tivo will be obsolete soon

as digital cable companies are starting to make their own available with the cable boxes. TIVO is going to

eventually switch geers and I think stop their boxes.

Dpends where you live though as far as how long you will

have to wait for the cable company to give you a recorder. They have them here right now in NY.

druid
11-17-2003, 11:53 AM
I have a DVD recorder. I

like it.

CJ01
11-17-2003, 01:24 PM
druid, what kind of results

do you get when recording with it?

holmes, you mean to say that you cán´t find blank tapes for your VCR?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif what kind of a place is that?! Over here it´s no problem and

the price hasn´t really changed much

bjf
11-17-2003, 01:28 PM
CJ:

S-VHS is different

then VHS, and he has the former. So that\'s is a little impracticle.

CJ01
11-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Oh, I only ever had a

normal VCR, sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif holmes just get one of those, they´re no

problemo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif but getting hold of one has been a bit of a hassle.

BUT it´s getting better again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dogsbutt
11-17-2003, 07:27 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
tivo will be obsolete soon as digital cable

companies are starting to make their own available with the cable boxes. TIVO is going to eventually switch geers

and I think stop their boxes.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

But, for now (I\'d say at least

another year), TIVO is much better for recording TV than a DVD recorder system (I have both, and the TIVO gets a LOT

more usage). The sixty hour box more than serves its purpose.

The DVD recorder is good to transfer something

onto when you know you want to keep it. But, since you\'ll probably be throwing everything else, why bother even

temporarily burning it?

Holmes
11-21-2003, 01:58 PM
Many thanks,

guys.

CJ, I\'d ruled out a normal VHS \'cause the quality sucks for recording. Basically what I\'m looking

for is a way to tape stuff with the quailty of my S-VHS, but with more convenience (S-VHS tapes cost anywhere from 8

to 10 bucks a pop, they take up space, and hardly anyone carries \'em anymore...)

Dogsbutt, I\'m looking into

the TiVo now, as I didn\'t know much about it before posing the question here. Thing is, too, that most of the

things I record are keepers. Some networks--Bravo, Showtime, etc.--don\'t put their original series out on VHS or

DVD for whatever reason (jerks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) and that makes up the majority of

what I go through the trouble of taping. Don\'t know if that would change your thoughts on which would be a better

choice for me...

Anyway, thanks again for the advice!

Holmes

CJ01
11-21-2003, 04:16 PM
</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
CJ, I\'d ruled out a normal VHS \'cause the quality sucks for recording.

Basically what I\'m looking for is a way to tape stuff with quailty of my S-VHS, but with more convenience (S-VHS

tapes cost anywhere from 8 to 10 bucks a pop, they take up space, and hardly anyone carries \'em anymore...)

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\"> 8-10 bucks?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Fuuuke

man!!!!
I´ve found that the VHS/VCR quality depends a lot on the condition of your TV.
Not familiar with TiVo AT

ALL! Do you you any links for me to check them out?

Holmes
11-23-2003, 10:11 AM
CJ,

www.tivo.com (\"http://www.tivo.com\")

Holmes