PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the forum yesterday?

CJ01
10-31-2003, 09:53 AM
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

krtel
10-31-2003, 10:30 AM
Looked like a bunch of database query errors (SQL errors) to me.

Krish

Bruce
10-31-2003, 12:06 PM
One particular part of the database that serves the forum became corrupt. I think some of the other datatbases

were showing it dirty pictures or something. Anyway (seriously now), the sections are called \"tables\" and one

of the tables went goofy so that the forum application itself couldn\'t use it, which resulted in those error

messages. The forum application was always running fine, thus the PM and other functions working. It just

couldn\'t get the posts out of the place they are normally stored. Without them the forum application can\'t

list the threads and posts you normally see when you visit the forum.

Sorry about that. I\'m thinking about

relocating the forum to make it quicker to fix stuff like that. With the present problem, I had to wait until the

hosting service got around to fixing it and they take their sweet time about it.

Bruce

abductor
11-01-2003, 04:56 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
I\'m thinking about relocating the forum to make

it quicker to fix stuff like that. With the present problem, I had to wait until the hosting service got around to

fixing it and they take their sweet time about it.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

I made download

of the trail version of \"UBB.threads 6.2.3\" and I tested in my localhost. UBB has a good admin area. But you

donĀ“t have total control of databases.

My experience with wide Mysql database says that: to keep the 100%

integrity of the data we must have 2 servers to make data replication. MySQL replication is based on the master

server keeping track of all changes to your database (updates, deletes, etc) in the binary log. Each slave server

receives from the master the saved queries that the master has recorded in its binary log, so that the slave can

execute the same queries on its copy of the data.

Generally webhosting services have 2 or more servers but they

do not say it to customers..and they want some dollars do the simple command \"synchronize-slave-master\"

(backup)

So Bruce,
If you want change webhosting, asks for possibility to have 2 servers. In my actual hosting I

have 4 servers and I pay only $3 dollars for it..

krtel
11-01-2003, 11:02 PM
I

may not be the most qualified person to say this anymore, but I was once a techie, and I learned that using a

unix-based host is more stable than a Windows host. Since the forum runs on PHP, I am going to assume we\'re

already using a unix host.

In addition to this, I think that a tier-1 provider, such as verio or qwest should be

used, assuming they sell accounts on shared web servers. We\'re talking $20-$40/mo. (maybe slightly more), but it

is very unlikely that the provider\'s connections will get congested. Furthermore, it is also unlikely that the

tier 1 provider will take their time when it comes to fixing a web server.

My 2 cents,

Krish

time_to_try
11-02-2003, 10:03 AM
Bruce, I\'m a software developer &amp; I\'ve starting recently developing applications using MySQL

as the Database server. What you will notice is that if you convert the MySQL tables to InnoDB rather than MyISAM,

then they will be more solid &amp; less likely to get corrupted. Conversion is simple using the standard free MySQL

tools. If you are already using InnoDB, then I don\'t know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bruce
11-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys.

The forum is on a Unix server. I don\'t mind paying a little for a table to be repaired, but the

host I am on now says they need up to 48 hours to get to it, and that just don\'t cut it. I want to be able to

pick up the phone 24/7 and say \"hey, table blah blah blah is down, fix it\" and they fix it on the spot. It only

takes 10-15 minutes. Then if that only happens once every couple of years, I am cool with that.

Not sure what

kind of MySql, but I would guess the basic one.

Bruce