PDA

View Full Version : question for peaceful people

telecontact
10-07-2003, 03:22 PM
I read

about 5-HTP & Glutamic Acid in the other forum. Thought it was very interesting. However, the guys on the

thread were so caught up in impressing each other with irrelevant pompous rhetoric that they absolutely bypassed my

question.
Where do u buy this 5-HTP stuff? How much does it cost? Any side effects? Doesnt the body stop

producing it\'s own chemicals if it detects changes due to ingestion of these products?
Anyone know? Thanx.

Ash
10-07-2003, 04:24 PM
You can do a

Google, * Serotonin 5-HTP *, and get all your questions answered there or you can PM me. As to the other Thread;

lots of Testosterone oozing about over there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ash

Jones
10-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Buy a diet

pill with red pepper cayenne extract. Rich in 5HTP. It may also have caffeine.

Whitehall
10-08-2003, 07:31 AM
Here\'s a good

place:

http://www.iherb.com/tryptophan.html (\"http://www.iherb.com/tryptophan.html\")

It can make

you sleepy so some people use it for going to sleep. It can also speed up your digestive track a

little.

Generally, it smooths your mood out, making you mellow - relatively. It can also delay ejaculation if

coming too fast is a problem.

Don\'t take if your doctor has you on MAO inhibitors.

telecontact
10-08-2003, 01:34 PM
Thanks guys. VERY interesting. Will try it. My only fear is playing with the body\'s natural serotonin

poduction/secretion.
I found a page that links MDMA (xtasy) & 5HTP. However, it stated that while Xtasy

depletes u of serotonin, 5HTP (serotonin serotonin precursor) replenishes serotonin stores faster.
Comments on

those of u who have tried it?
Thanks again.

Ash
10-08-2003, 07:21 PM
For some

reason, for some people, Serotonin levels become depleted. Like any other neurotransmitter, hormone, etc. our bodies

are constantly manufacturing Serotonin; or trying to. Stress, poor diet or poor digestion are some of the many

reasons we run low on these vital substances our bodies need to function normally and properly. Serotonin is one of

the most important substances our bodies make that regulate our mood. If levels of S drop too low all kinds of

behavior problems will begin to develop. From short temper, anger and road rage all the way to hair pulling,

cutting and suicidal depression. The drug Co\'s have known about Serotonin for years. Serotonin is the second S in

SSRI drugs. SSRI\'s form the majority of \"Mood drugs\" or antidepressant/behavior drugs being pimped world wide

but SSRI drugs don\'t add S to our bodies. They just reallocate already depleted levels of S by robing S from

other body organs. As a result, people using SSRI drugs are left with only temporary changes in their behavior and

lots of side effects.

There are some substances that you do need to worry about adding to your system. Adding

pro-hormones such as Testosterone tends to shut down the bodies natural hormone production. That\'s why

bodybuilders \"cycle\", but
our bodies easily convert 5-HTP into Serotonin with no fear of diminishing the bodies

ability to convert food into Tryptophane then to 5-HTP and then to Serotonin. The bodies inability to do the

conversion in the first place seems to be the cause of the problem. Poor diet and poor digestion. If you\'re

having problems with mood then give 5-HTP a try with no fear of ruining your bodies ability to make 5-HTP on its own

but take a good look at your diet too. Are you eating proper healthy foods? Is your digestive system working

properly? Consider adding probiotic(flora) and enzymes to your diet. It made all the difference in the world for me!

Drugs and alcohol tend not to prohibit the production of Serotonin, rather they tend to burn out and/or block

Serotonin and neurotransmitter receptor sites in general. MDMA is particularly bad in this regard as it totally

fries receptor sites.

Hope that helps and if anyone wants to comment on my comments please start a Thread in

Health and I\'ll be happy to respond!

Ash

Whitehall
10-08-2003, 09:58 PM
Supposedly, 5-HTP will help smooth out the end of a E trip or maybe LSD. Never tried it.

Sagacious1420
10-10-2003, 02:33 AM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Supposedly, 5-HTP will help smooth out the end of a

E trip or maybe LSD. Never tried it.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Never tried which?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sagacious1420
10-11-2003, 08:43 PM
Tried 100 mg of 5 HTP today...feel like I\'ve got a Turkey buzz.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not quite on the verge of a nap, though...at least, not so far.

I\'ll let you know what, if any, the extended effects are

once I\'ve used it for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks for the heads up about

this stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ash
10-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Sag. Take it

at night before you go to bed (to sleep). S is what gives us guys that wonderful expression of our manhood know as

the morning Pee-Hardon . Adding the 5-HTP to your system will make your dick look like a little baseball bat.

You\'ll be calling him your \"Little Louisville Slugger\".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ash

MadMaxx
12-21-2003, 08:45 PM
Tried 100 mg of 5 HTP today...feel like I\'ve got

a Turkey buzz. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Not quite on the verge of a nap, though...at

least, not so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I\'ll let you know what, if any, the

extended effects are once I\'ve used it for a while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks

for the heads up about this stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

Hi everyone, I would like to revive this thread, since I recently started using 5-HTP. I would

like to hear from some of you who \"promised\" to fill us in after you tried it for a while. I have been using 150

mg a day for about 3 weeks now.

First of all, I don\'t seem to get any kind of sleepiness that some of you

mention.

Second, someone mentioned that it may speed up the digestive tract. I have noticed a couple of

interesting things here. I consider my digestion and elimination to be \"normal\", and for as long as I can

remember I have been a very regular once a day person. Overnight, I have suddenly become a 2-3 times a day person. I

am also losing some weight, and have slightly reduced appetite. I don\'t have these feelings like I am \"totally

starving\", as lunch time or dinner time approach.

Having said all that, I do workout and dance intensely for

several hours a week, but I was doing those things before starting HTP and my metabolism and appetite did not seem

to be affected too much by those activities alone.

One more thing, I am using a grapefruit enzyme product, which

is supposed to slow down/stop conversion of carbs to fat, or something like that, so I suppose there is a chance

that this is doing something to my body.

Finally, in terms of mood. I am certainly not bouncing off the walls and

super gleeful like some people I have seen who are on anti-depressants, but I think that I am definitely mellower,

and far, far less likely to feel \"anger\", which is one of the main reasons that I decided to try the HTP.

Whitehall
12-21-2003, 08:55 PM
If

I\'m feeling irriatible or grumpy (not often) I\'ll reach for some 5-HTP. \"Smoothes things out\" is a good

discription of the mood effects.

90% of S is in you gut where it plays a critical role in controlling

digestion.

There is a possible crisis for too much S called \"serotoin syndrome\" that you should be aware of

it. Low level effects include jumpy legs. Google it before you start playing with anything in addition to

5HTP.

And, no, I\'ve never specifically tried the combination of 5HTP post-LSD or X trip.

Sagacious1420
12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
MadMaxx-

Thanks for the reminder. The drowsy effect was rather short term for me. I haven\'t been taking it

lately and, when I was, I didn\'t really notice any consistant mood effects. I was taking 100 mg/dose, but not

every day. My use was rather inconsistant.

Sagacious1420
12-21-2003, 10:24 PM
MadMaxx-

Thanks for the reminder. The drowsy effect was rather short term for me. I haven\'t been taking it

lately and, when I was, I didn\'t really notice any consistant mood effects. I was taking 100 mg/dose, but not

every day. My use was rather inconsistant as were my results.

Kari
12-22-2003, 07:04 AM
Here\'s a good

place:

http://www.iherb.com/tryptophan.html (\"http://www.iherb.com/tryptophan.html\")

It can make

you sleepy so some people use it for going to sleep. It can also speed up your digestive track a

little.

Generally, it smooths your mood out, making you mellow - relatively. It can also delay ejaculation if

coming too fast is a problem.

Don\'t take if your doctor has you on MAO inhibitors.

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

IHerb is GREAT! Great prices, fast service. AND, about two miles from my

place.

Bruce
12-23-2003, 02:25 PM
5 htp is

pretty pricey stuff. Vitaminshoppe.com has good prices on there house brand. I only take it if I am stressed out

and even then only around bedtime. I take St. John\'s Wort on a regular basis ocassionally with lithium orrotate

which you can get without a prescription from VRP.com. Those supplements, plenty of time at the gym, and smart

drugs keep me quite balenced and happy. ZMA helps me get a good nights sleep, but if I happen to wake up in the

middle of the night I will often take 3mg of melotonin.

There is a good book on this subject called Dealing with

Depression Naturally. Check it out.

B

MadMaxx
12-24-2003, 04:35 AM
5 htp is pretty pricey stuff. Vitaminshoppe.com

has good prices on there house brand. I only take it if I am stressed out and even then only around bedtime. I

take St. John\'s Wort on a regular basis ocassionally with lithium orrotate which you can get without a

prescription from VRP.com. Those supplements, plenty of time at the gym, and smart drugs keep me quite balenced and

happy. ZMA helps me get a good nights sleep, but if I happen to wake up in the middle of the night I will often

take 3mg of melotonin.

There is a good book on this subject called Dealing with Depression Naturally. Check it

out.

B

I don\'t find HTP pricey. Maybe I have a better

supplier than you? Or maybe I have a different idea of \"pricey\". At 150 mg a day, I have a 50 days supply for

$20. Why does ZMA help sleep? I plan to try it, but for now I have a big supply of zinc, so I just use 50 mg of zinc

per day. Finally, I use Melatonin sometimes but have went down to 1 mg. Even 1mg blows me away. If I use 1 mg for a

couple nights in a row I am walking around semi-comatose!

belgareth
12-24-2003, 04:40 AM
I\'ve been buying from this site.

http://store.yahoo.com/americasvitaminstore/in

dex.html (\"http://store.yahoo.com/americasvitaminstore/index.html\")

They have the best prices I\'ve found.

MadMaxx
12-24-2003, 06:05 AM
I\'ve been buying from this site.

http://store.yahoo.com/americasvitaminstore/in

dex.html (\"http://store.yahoo.com/americasvitaminstore/index.html\")

They have the best prices I\'ve found.

Not

bad, but if do a calculation on what you are paying per mg, you will see that my price is definitely better.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

belgareth
12-24-2003, 06:21 AM
I\'m not using 5 HTP. Inositol, Arginine and DMAE only. Their prices on those two are hard to beat. I tried ZMA

but it took too much of the edge off and increased my need for sleep by a couple hours per day.

MadMaxx
12-24-2003, 06:41 AM
I\'m not using 5 HTP. Inositol, Arginine and DMAE

only. Their prices on those two are hard to beat. I tried ZMA but it took too much of the edge off and increased my

need for sleep by a couple hours per day.

Okay, what is the

\"purpose\" of those 3 things you are using?

Also, please clarify, \"took too much edge off\". Edge of what?

MadMaxx
12-24-2003, 06:47 AM
As an

update, I will let everyone know that after 2-3 weeks of 150 mg of HTP a day, I am going off of it for a bit. WHY?

I\'m starting to feel like if I mellow out any more I\'ll slip into a coma or something. There\'s no doubt

this stuff \"works\" for me. It\'s nice when you can detect that something \"works\". I\'m probably

overloaded on seratonin; only need one meal a day an can hardly do my dancing this week because my brain/memory

seems at bit....hazy....dull....don\'t know the word for it, but something is affecting my dancing which takes

clear, alert, mind power.

belgareth
12-24-2003, 07:40 AM
</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
I\'m not using 5 HTP. Inositol, Arginine and DMAE only. Their prices on

those two are hard to beat. I tried ZMA but it took too much of the edge off and increased my need for sleep by a

couple hours per day.

Okay, what is the \"purpose\" of

those 3 things you are using?

Also, please clarify, \"took too much edge off\". Edge of what?

Inositol

inreases serotonin levels and helps clear the liver of fatty deposits. DMAE is considered to be a smart drug in that

it seems to increase brain activity. In general, with the two I concentrate better and my need for sleep is reduced.

My attitude also seems better, I laugh more often and just seem happier and more outgoing to those around

me.

L-Arginine increases the Nitrogen in the blood thereby increasing blood flow. It\'s good for the heart

and circulatory system. It also seems to have a positive effect on sexual stamina.

ZMA made me less alert and

somewhat groggy during the day. I missed things I should have understood due to what I percieved as a lack of focus.

My normal sleep habit is around 5 hours a night, with ZMA it increased to 7-8 and I still felt like I was not

getting enough rest. The effect may have worn off in time but it was an unpleasant experience for me.

Whitehall
12-24-2003, 08:28 AM
I suspect that the

sleepiness or drowsiness you\'re getting from ZMA is from the magnesium (the \"M\" in ZMA.)

Magnesium salts

have a reputation for causing drowsiness. I haven\'t seen the same effect personally but it is credible.

Kari
12-24-2003, 08:39 AM
</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
I\'m not

using 5 HTP. Inositol, Arginine and DMAE only. Their prices on those two are hard to beat. I tried ZMA but it took

too much of the edge off and increased my need for sleep by a couple hours per day.

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

Okay, what is the \"purpose\" of those 3 things you are using?

Also, please clarify,

\"took too much edge off\". Edge of what? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Inositol inreases serotonin levels and helps clear the liver of fatty

deposits. DMAE is considered to be a smart drug in that it seems to increase brain activity. In general, with the

two I concentrate better and my need for sleep is reduced. My attitude also seems better, I laugh more often and

just seem happier and more outgoing to those around me.

L-Arginine increases the Nitrogen in the blood thereby

increasing blood flow. It\'s good for the heart and circulatory system. It also seems to have a positive effect on

sexual stamina.

ZMA made me less alert and somewhat groggy during the day. I missed things I should have

understood due to what I percieved as a lack of focus. My normal sleep habit is around 5 hours a night, with ZMA it

increased to 7-8 and I still felt like I was not getting enough rest. The effect may have worn off in time but it

was an unpleasant experience for me.

DMAE makes me happy and

mellow.

belgareth
12-24-2003, 08:57 AM
Whitehall,

Whatever the reason, the ZMA was intolerable. That 3 hours when the rest of my world is sleeping is

my favorite time to think, read or even do something productive. There is no finer time to be out walking than the

early morning hours before the sun comes up. One of my favorite places to be is a small knoll near my home when the

sun rises. If I sleep the hours ZMA caused me to sleep, I would lose that experience.

Kari,

DMAE does good

things for me. I am normally somewhat introverted and it helps me come out of my shell a bit. My sense of humor has

an outrageous side to it and the DMAE helps me share it with others. It has caused a few people to question my

sanity recently but that\'s ok too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kari
12-24-2003, 09:30 AM
Whitehall,

Whatever the reason, the ZMA was

intolerable. That 3 hours when the rest of my world is sleeping is my favorite time to think, read or even do

something productive. There is no finer time to be out walking than the early morning hours before the sun comes up.

One of my favorite places to be is a small knoll near my home when the sun rises. If I sleep the hours ZMA caused me

to sleep, I would lose that experience.

Kari,

DMAE does good things for me. I am normally somewhat introverted

and it helps me come out of my shell a bit. My sense of humor has an outrageous side to it and the DMAE helps me

share it with others. It has caused a few people to question my sanity recently but that\'s ok too.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Whitehall
12-24-2003, 01:27 PM
Well, you get to

chose your life. I concur about morning walks.

Personally, DMAE gets me intolerably jittery while ZMA makes for

a pleasant night sleep of normal hours and a great morning woody.

Freedom is naming your own poison.

druid
12-24-2003, 07:46 PM
Damn Bel 5 hours a

night? I get the worst tension headaches. I need somewhere between 8-10. Even before I took ZMA.

belgareth
12-25-2003, 02:08 AM
Damn Bel 5 hours a night? I get the worst tension

headaches. I need somewhere between 8-10. Even before I took ZMA.

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

It started when I was a teenager and really made me crazy for a while. If I try to force myself

to sleep more than that I just get frustrated. After this many years I am used to it and like having that few hours

each day when nobody else is around. It\'s 4 AM now and I am about slept out. In a few minutes I am going to go

start a batch of cinnimin rolls so when everybody else wakes up they\'ll be ready.

Merry Christmas!