PDA

View Full Version : Voting in California Today

Whitehall
10-07-2003, 11:39 AM
I voted first

thing this morning - there were long lines.

The amazing thing was that for the first time in my life, I was

challenged! Some Asian lady standing behind the tables asked to see my identification; I asked who she was since if

she was with the ACLU I was going to let fly. The other poll workers quickly said she was an official

\"inspector\" so I showed my California Drivers License (while it still means something!)

I\'m a

middle-aged, white male professional, native-born - women tell me I even look a little like Arnold - I guess I had

\"Republican\" written all over me. I didn\'t see the guy ahead of me wearing the IBEW union jacket get

challenged.

I\'m all for EVERYONE who wants to vote showing valid ID - not just white Republicans

Kari
10-07-2003, 12:20 PM
And, speaking

of AH-nold... I guess eBay is on his bandwagon (I think the man is a MAJOR oink, BTW). A few sellers offered copies

of the 8/77 edition of \"Oui\" magazine with his interview re: gang bags, his opinion of \"fags,\" his wacky

weed use, etc.

EBay closed the auctions for THAT issue.

THEN, after people bitched that that issue was the

ONLY one pulled, eBay closed all the OTHER Ebay auctions. All this happened this morning.

Actually... it was

kind of entertaining to watch, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bruce
10-07-2003, 12:28 PM
WH,
So, most

folks can vote without showing any kind of ID? What\'s to stop me from driving over the state line and voting?

(provided I don\'t get carded like you did)

B

Kari
10-07-2003, 01:02 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
WH,
So, most folks can vote without showing any

kind of ID? What\'s to stop me from driving over the state line and voting? (provided I don\'t get carded like

you did)
B

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

You don\'t need I.D. You DO need to tell the nice

polling place people who you are and where you live, so they can check you off the list.

You can register by

mail, however. I don\'t think they check for citizenship at the county registrar\'s office. I think you just

have to have a local address.

Whitehall
10-07-2003, 01:11 PM
They\'re are not SUPPOSED to ask for ID!

Just about anyone can walk up and vote. It is a serious dilution of

the citizens\' franchise. Of course, the ACLU would never do any thing against that practice since everyone

presumes the Democrats use it extensively to capture minority voters.

I\'m all for some discipline in our

voting practices. The \"Motor Voter\" law of recent past was just such a travesty.

Kari
10-07-2003, 01:27 PM
They\'re are not SUPPOSED to ask for ID!

Just

about anyone can walk up and vote. It is a serious dilution of the citizens\' franchise. Of course, the ACLU

would never do any thing against that practice since everyone presumes the Democrats use it extensively to capture

minority voters.

I\'m all for some discipline in our voting practices. The \"Motor Voter\" law of recent

past was just such a travesty.

That\'s the problem.. one can

probably vote in every county of the state.

Mtnjim
10-07-2003, 01:38 PM
\"Of

course, the ACLU would never do any thing against that practice since everyone presumes the Democrats use it

extensively to capture minority voters.\"

I always admired one thing about the ACLU. (Unless things have changed

recently) They would support things on principle. One week they might be supporting Jews, the next neo-Nazis,

whether they agreed with the group\'s purpose or not. (Then again, this was in the \'60\'s!

Kari
10-07-2003, 01:57 PM
\"Of course, the ACLU would never do any thing

against that practice since everyone presumes the Democrats use it extensively to capture minority voters.\"

I

always admired one thing about the ACLU. (Unless things have changed recently) They would support things on

principle. One week they might be supporting Jews, the next neo-Nazis, whether they agreed with the group\'s

purpose or not. (Then again, this was in the \'60\'s!

I also

used to find that it was a great place to pick up intelligent and educated guys.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

franki
10-07-2003, 11:53 PM
Well looks

like Arnie has won the total recall... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Kari
10-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Well looks like Arnie has won the total recall...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Yep, Interesting.. the same media (including Jay Leno) that vilified him

yesterday are sucking up, today.

Holmes
10-08-2003, 06:53 AM
\"Many

times when I was getting laid, in my head I was doing a business deal.\" - Arnold

Schwarzenegger

the same media (including Jay

Leno) that vilified him yesterday are sucking up, today.

Ah,

Hollywood!

Holmes

belgareth
10-08-2003, 07:01 AM
</font><blockquote><font

class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Well looks like Arnie has won the total recall...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

<hr

/></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

Yep, Interesting.. the same media (including Jay Leno) that vilified him

yesterday are sucking up, today.

Sounds like business as usual.

Whitehall
10-08-2003, 07:25 AM
This

election was about BOTH parties in California not doing there job. As a life-long Republican, the California

Republican Party has been a joke. Their primaries churn out unelectable right wing nuts who can be quite

embaressing to a moderate like me.

What Arnold has done so far is take the Republican organization and most of

its grass roots supporters and force them into getting behind a candidate (Arnold) with policies that a majority of

Californians can support. Getting people to get along together for a common cause is the ESSENCE of politics.

If

he can create a moderate base in the California Republican Party, then there is hope that he has the ability to

forge a moderate center for all of California. Only then can we really kick the bums out of Sacramento.

This is

a warning to the rest of the country. The elites of our country have for too long served themselves by pandering to

narrow interests. They can and will be replaced now that the majority of people are showing that they are catching

on to the game. Elites can only stay elites in a democracy by delivering to the majority of people.

Politicians, big media, academics - they had better know who\'s really the boss in this country - they can be

replaced.

belgareth
10-08-2003, 07:38 AM

This is a warning to the rest of the country.

The elites of our country have for too long served themselves by pandering to narrow interests. They can and will

be replaced now that the majority of people are showing that they are catching on to the game. Elites can only stay

elites in a democracy by delivering to the majority of people.

Politicians, big media, academics - they had

better know who\'s really the boss in this country - they can be replaced.

<hr /></blockquote><font

class=\"post\">

Whitehall,

I hope that you are right. The voting public has been getting screwed for too

long by politicians who serve those who best line their pockets rather than those who voted them into office.

Personally, I am very disenchanted with the way our government is run by an elite. That was not the intention of the

founding fathers and is not what the constitution calls for. The governing elite has for the most part lost all

touch with the people it is intended to serve and instead is operating on the premise that we are here to serve the

government.

Kari
10-08-2003, 10:02 AM

Whitehall,

I hope that you are right. The voting public has

been getting screwed for too long by politicians who serve those who best line their pockets rather than those who

voted them into office. Personally, I am very disenchanted with the way our government is run by an elite. That was

not the intention of the founding fathers and is not what the constitution calls for. The governing elite has for

the most part lost all touch with the people it is intended to serve and instead is operating on the premise that we

are here to serve the government.

Disagree on one point. If you

read some of the founding fathers writings-- they were all for equal rights and liberties for white, male,

landowners. An elite.

Whitehall
10-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Kari,

You\'re right - the Founding Fathers were for restrictions on the franchise. One could argue that

government went to hell in a handbasket with female suffrage.

No one is so utopian to say we can do without

elites. Even the Communists admitted the \"vanguard of the proletariat.\"

The major accomplishment of American

democracy is that we\'ve devised a method for the non-violent replacement of elites. A major exception to that

was the Civil War where the Southern aristocracy had to be defeated at the point of a gun.

belgareth
10-09-2003, 03:27 AM

Disagree on one point. If you read some of

the founding fathers writings-- they were all for equal rights and liberties for white, male, landowners. An elite.

I believe they were speaking in the context of their time. Times

change but the basic philosophy of a government for and by the people does not. A ruling elite class is something we

could well do without for at least two good reasons.

That concept is based on the worn out belief that humans

need to be told how to live. In fact, they need to be taught how to take responsibility for themselves and to

function cooperatively together. The function of a ruling class is to take that right/freedom from the people. The

end result is a society where people refuse to be responsible for their own actions. Our legal system, both criminal

and tort are good examples.

They say that power corrupts and that is wrong. Power attracts those who are already

corrupt or are easily corruptable. An elite teaches that they are above the rest and above the rules made for the

masses. It is virtualy impossible to police them from below and they will not willingly or honestly police

themselves. In the end, the ruling elite has been the source of more human misery than all the deseases, plaques and

natural disasters in history.