PDA

View Full Version : L-Lysine

Sexyredhead
09-17-2003, 10:40 AM
What are the benefits/drawbacks of L-Lysine? It was recommended to a friend from someone at a healthfood store a few days ago, and I\'m not sure everything they said was true, or that she needs it.

Holmes
09-17-2003, 11:00 AM
SRH, why did they recommend it your friend (meaning: what was it she was looking to accomplish?) What did they claim?

L-Lysine is known for the most part to provide immune system support (by boosting antibodies) as well as promoting tissue repair, collagen formation/healthy skin, bone growth/density/regeneration...

An Essential AA supp is generally a good idea.

Don\'t know if that answers any questions...

Holmes

Sagacious1420
09-17-2003, 11:07 AM
What exactly did they say about it that has you concerned?

This info may be of help.

For years, lysine has been considered in the treatment of herpes and cold sores, and more recently, has been attracting attention as a possible addition to the fast-growing list of muscle-building nutrients.

L-Lysine is a necessary building block for all protein in the body. L-Lysine plays a major role in calcium absorption; building muscle protein; recovering from surgery or sports injuries; and the body\'s production of hormones, enzymes, and antibodies.

Lysine appears to help the body absorb and conserve calcium. Lysine has many functions in the body because it is incorporated into many proteins, which are used by the body for a variety of purposes. Lysine interferes with replication of herpes viruses and is therefore often prescribed by doctors to people with cold sores or genital herpes. A review of the research trials investigating the effects of lysine on people with cold sores shows that most, though not all, trials support the use of lysine.

Brewer’s yeast, legumes, dairy, fish, and meat all contain significant amounts of lysine. Most people, including vegans (vegetarians who also avoid dairy and eggs), consume adequate amounts of lysine. Athletes involved in frequent vigorous exercise have an increased need for essential amino acids.

Taking normal amounts of Lysine, no consistent problems have been reported in humans, though abdominal cramps and transient diarrhea have occasionally been reported at very high intakes of 15 - 40 grams.

Lysine supplementation has been shown to increase the absorption of calcium and it may reduce its excretion. Some researchers believe that lysine may be shown to have a role in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. Lysine works with other essential amino acids to maintain growth, lean body mass, and the body’s store of nitrogen.

HTH

Sexyredhead
09-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Well, the lady working there told us that l-lysine keeps \'viruses\' from replicating, so you won\'t get sick. (That\'s a bit broad and general compared to something that only has been shown to work on herpes-type viruses, IMO.) She also said that it helps counteract the effects of l-arginine, which she said may be one of the causes of chronic fatigue syndrome. She was also saying that taking a general aa supp was bad, because you don\'t need the l-arginine, and in fact, that l-arginine works against you (can\'t remember what her reason was). She did say l-lysine was a general immune system boost, which couldn\'t hurt. She also said it had helped a lot of people lose weight. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif But like what y\'all posted, what I\'ve read about it makes me think nobody really needs l-lysine unless they\'re doing some heavy-duty exercising, so i\'m confused as to why she would recommend it?

Sagacious1420
09-17-2003, 11:33 AM
SRH-

Perhaps she\'s overstocked and needs to move product? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Or she knows just enough to be dangerous? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I dunno. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

That\'s fantastic that you\'ve done some research yourself and didn\'t take her at her word. Good show! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sexyredhead
09-17-2003, 11:35 AM
I think it\'s more that she knows just enough to be dangerous. It\'s not her shop--she just works there.

Ok, thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jones
09-17-2003, 09:47 PM
I used the stuff with arginine for a GH boost at night. I didnt notice much diff from just arginine.

Some aminos are great, like ALCAR and arginine, but I believe that l-lysine doesnt do anything that is observably beneficial.

I wont be buying it ever again