PDA

View Full Version : Candles scented with pheromones???

Whitehall
09-13-2003, 12:26 PM
Saw some candles spiced with pheromones on eBay.

Anyone had experience with the commercial ones or has anyone tried t make their own?

I\'d think that a candle with a couple of drops of EW might be a great atmosphere builder for the bedroom - imagine a room that already smells like sex before you even start.

oscar
09-13-2003, 01:01 PM
Whitehall,

I\'ve always taken into consideration that warning from Stone that pheros degrade at temperatures above 155* Fahrenheit.
I can\'t imagine that a stick type candle would be effective since the pheros would almost certainly be heated to 155*F or more.
But I\'ve thought about dropping a bit of phero into a jar type candle, at some distance from the wick, so that the stuff would warm gradually as the surrounding wax liquifies, but frankly have never gotten around to testing it out.

How hot WOULD the liquified wax be at the furthest distance from the wick in a 3\" candle? It\'s not so hot that it burns the skin, so maybe it would work.

With the opportunity for an all-nighter at hand you could even start with a cold candle, putting different products at varying distances from the wick for changing stages of atmosphere.

This MAY just be another way of pissing away phero products, but it does sound like it\'s worth the investment of a few drops of stuff to find out.

Oscar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Whitehall
09-13-2003, 01:46 PM
A candle is one complex piece of chemical machinery.

The flame causes local melting of the wax, making a little puddle at the base of the wick. The wick uses capillary forces to suck up the hot way into the flame where it oxidizes liberating heat.

Our pheromones would be dissolved in the wax and when the wax melted the volitile pheromones would be released. Essential oils work great in candles, do they not?

I\'m think of mostly copulins from EW, added as the molten wax is cooling then tightly capped. Might cover with clary sage and sandalwood and bergamont.

Jones
09-13-2003, 03:30 PM
</font><blockquote><font class=\"small\">Quote:</font><hr />
Whitehall,

I\'ve always taken into consideration that warning from Stone that pheros degrade at temperatures above 155* Fahrenheit.
I can\'t imagine that a stick type candle would be effective since the pheros would almost certainly be heated to 155*F or more.
But I\'ve thought about dropping a bit of phero into a jar type candle, at some distance from the wick, so that the stuff would warm gradually as the surrounding wax liquifies, but frankly have never gotten around to testing it out.

How hot WOULD the liquified wax be at the furthest distance from the wick in a 3\" candle? It\'s not so hot that it burns the skin, so maybe it would work.

With the opportunity for an all-nighter at hand you could even start with a cold candle, putting different products at varying distances from the wick for changing stages of atmosphere.

This MAY just be another way of pissing away phero products, but it does sound like it\'s worth the investment of a few drops of stuff to find out.

<hr /></blockquote><font class=\"post\">

155 f ? That is a grossly underestimated number.

oscar
09-13-2003, 03:47 PM
Jones,

I\'m afraid I don\'t understand. Are you saying that you know the degradation threshold to be higher?

Jones
09-13-2003, 07:45 PM
Yes, I am saying it is impossible that they degrade at 155 f. I am a chemistry major. If anyone here has a PhD in organic/inorganic/physical chemisty then I welcome there input as I am sure it would be to confirm my statement.

My research shows that androgens boil at ~180 celcius, which is closer to 300 f. There is no reason why the molecule would \'degrade\' anywhere before that temperature. Im sure even in the liquid plase the molecules are probably still stable.

DingDong
09-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Wouldn\'t it just be easier to buy a candle holder that has a holder over top of the candle for liquid potpourri and just put some EW in there instead...

oscar
09-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Jones,

Thanks for the info. You\'re credentials certainly trump mine. No degrees in chemistry here at all. But the 155 F figure I posted was from Stone Independent Research, so it\'s hard to totally discount.
Sorry I don\'t have the actual email they sent me (had a hard drive crash in Dec. \'01) but the excerpt in this post is a direct quote from it:

http://www.server2.love-scent.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=UBB3&amp;Number=4435&amp;Forum=All _Forums&amp;Words=%20155%20&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Sear chpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=4433&amp;Search=tr ue#Post4435 (\"http://www.server2.love-scent.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=UBB3&amp;Number=4435&amp;Forum=All _Forums&amp;Words=%20155%20&amp;Match=Entire%20Phrase&amp;Sear chpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Main=4433&amp;Search=tr ue#Post4435\")

I think I\'ll choose to err on the side of caution if I err at all.

Any possibility that they were speaking for the entire product, medium and all, and not just the andro molecules when they told me that?

Whitehall
09-14-2003, 03:05 PM
In any case, I\'m using copulins which are rather volitile. I\'ve got three candles in the frig now, solidifying.

Rather than straight EW, I used some \"starter\" I\'ve had, a strong mix of EW with a Creed rose perfume. It\'s too strong to use directly so maybe this will work.

Report later.

Whitehall
09-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Small hot tub room, new copulin-scented candle - couldn\'t smell a thing.

Needs straight EW.

Back to the la-boor-a-tory.

CJ01
09-15-2003, 12:15 PM
If you really want to use candles, why not try rubbing the mones on the outside of the candle, the way there doesn´get as hot.

It´s always been said that mones can´t handle those high temps but if it works do let us know yeah?

I´d go with an oil lamp myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Whitehall
09-15-2003, 12:18 PM
I\'ll try that. So far I\'ve been using candles in a can. That way one has a tight-fitting top to keep the aromas inside when not in use.

Ash
09-15-2003, 01:09 PM
In the area where I live Hot Tub rooms are required to have huge fans to take the moisture outside lest it buildup on the inside of the walls and saturate wood and insulation etc. which leads to a rotted out Hot Tub room. Does your room have a fan that is exchanging the air at high volumes? Just a thought.

Ash

randa
09-15-2003, 08:47 PM
My boss\' husband was hinting to her about these candles that he\'d heard about from a friend. His birthday was coming up and I live near a little store that sells some sex toys/clothes/etc. So, I bought two of them for her. One is a vanilla scent, supposedly to turn the woman on. Second one is a apple/cinnamon scent, for the man. Also, got one for my supervisor. Anyways, it may just be mental, but they both reported that they thought they work. The candle is a granular type product that can be poured into a regular votive so that you won\'t have a little jar that says \'Pheromone Candle\', or you can burn it in the jar. I didn\'t really look at the jar, but I think it only said that it contained pheromones, not what kind. The lady at the store said it would work best &amp; last longer if you used a candle warmer, looked kinda like those things you keep a coffee cup warm with. She also said they were to help set the mood, not get him/her to jump your bones.