PDA

View Full Version : Dem Dab Volumes

CptKipling
09-01-2003, 01:21 PM
I\'m trying to find out how much we are all getting from dabs, so this is a call to all of those with empty bottles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Take you bottle (from whatever product it may be), measure the size of the opening, pure in 1 ml of alcohol (or water if you must, but please alcohol if you can), and count how many dabs it takes to empty your bottle. Then repeat the process with something oily (preferable di-propeline glycol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, but something like glycerin will do).

Report back stating:

1. Size of opening (and name of product bottle if applicable)

2. How many dabs until empty for alcohol.

3. How many dabs until empty for more viscous fluid.

4. How many dabs until empty of original product (you will need to measure how much you have left of course).

CptKipling
09-02-2003, 05:57 AM
Please post if you are taking part.

...and please do take part, you should give a little to your forum community, it\'s just take take take with some people! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brian
09-02-2003, 09:53 AM
You may be beating a dead horse with this one cptn. What you are asking for is a very time consuming task. You might want to rephrase the question and ask if anyone has tried this and what their results were. I think those who can, do give back, many are relatively new and are still learning and don\'t want to give incorrect info, and others still, don\'t visit this forum anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brian

CptKipling
09-03-2003, 05:11 AM
I have looked at what others have gotten in the past, and have done my own experiments, but I think there is always a need for all the info.

If this is the reception a request gets, it\'s fine, I will just do it my self, but my reluctance to share information is increasing.

belgareth
09-03-2003, 05:18 AM
Cpt:

It\'s not that unreasonable request but, I suspect, most of us throw out empty bottles. Otherwise we would end up with an over abundance of assorted bottles hanging around. Or some people may not have an empty yet. Whatever the case, it is probably not an unwillingness to help.

Sexyredhead
09-03-2003, 05:49 AM
That\'s my problem. No empties yet.

belgareth
09-03-2003, 06:35 AM
Cpt:

As a suggestion that you might find to be more reliable and less labor and time intensive, try this:

Weigh a small piece of untreated leather (simulates skin). Put ten dabs on it and weigh it again, divide the weight difference by ten to get a good average weight for a dab. It should work fine for the oil based stuff but the alcohol based compunds might be a problem because they evaporate so fast. Maybe you could substitute water then multiply by the difference in weight between the two.

Now all you need to do is determine the weight of the liquid in any given product and you have your answer.

Skyy
09-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Ill be out of NPA soon and I have an old PI bottle in my room somewhere so ill be helping soon!

CptKipling
09-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Bel,

Nice idea, but i think it would only work for oily fluids. I might be able to try this at school where they have accurate scales.

Skyy,

Good stuff!

One thing that is important (or at least could be in theory) is that your finger is dry each time you dab.

People interested but without empties:

It\'s not just product bottles, I worked it out for some small aftershave sample bottles that I often put phero mixes in. Some numbers for the love scent atomisers (mine are both in use) would be useful, as those are used a lot.

BTW I didn\'t mean to say that if you dont contribute you are an ulcer on the stomach of forum society, but it\'s good to get involved in the helping spirit! (or something...) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CptKipling
09-13-2003, 04:31 AM
Bump

Thanks to everyone who is planning to take part, I\'m sure your time investment will be rewarded.